more ยป" />

Hill Intervals for the Treadmill

by Meghann on April 18, 2012

Good Morning!

Rise and shine – it’s hill time!

This morning’s set of hill intervals was inspired by Runner’s World Take it Inside workout from their February issue. Since running downhill can have just as great of an impact on your body as running uphill in a race, this workout mimics the downhill effect by including 4 sets of lunges and squats at the end.

Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 9.51.46 AM.png

The set of hill intervals was NOT easy. My legs burned and by the end I was a sweaty, cursing mess. The lunges and squats were no picnic either. I could feel it in my glutes and my quads and both were not happy. I plan to do this workout a couple of more times before Flying Pig next month.

The proof is in the sweat.

527459_10101770980966793_5207154_75899930_41114145_n.jpeg

Also, don’t think I’m forgetting the Tone it Up challenge. Today’s workout was a set of intervals (2 minutes at 7.0 and 2 minutes at 5.0 for a total of 36 minutes). I just amped it by adding in some much needed hill training. I like that the Tone it Up plan is flexible and I can mold it to fit my needs for the day. :)

While I was on the treadmill, my mind couldn’t stop thinking about breakfast.

I had a medium golden delicious apple with a heavy dose of PB2 (I need to restock!), plain Chobani, Walnuts, and Kashi Go Lean Crisp.

Yum. Yum. Yum. :)

Is today really Wednesday? This week is flying by fast! Good. I like it that way.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

1 RunEatRepeat April 18, 2012 at 10:39 am

You can use TJ’s Peanut Flour like PB2, right? Might be cheaper.

I know, I know but you’re getting a TJ’s soon I thought…

2 Meghann April 18, 2012 at 10:43 am

I thought they discontinued TJ’s Peanut Flour?

3 Katrina April 18, 2012 at 10:52 am

In my area, they did. (insert sad face here)

4 Cait's Plate April 18, 2012 at 11:20 am

I had pretty much the same breakfast only with oats instead of yogurt! SOOO good :)

5 Amanda April 18, 2012 at 11:32 am

I am definitely going to be copying this treadmill workout into my Book O Sweat! Thanks for the info!

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 18, 2012 at 11:34 am

oh gosh, I avoid inclines and hills like the plague. But I guess that means it’s something I need to work on! If only I could get myself to actually do it…

7 Casey April 18, 2012 at 11:54 am

Where do you buy your PB2? I would love to try it!

8 Meghann April 18, 2012 at 12:00 pm
9 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 18, 2012 at 12:26 pm

When I was first reading this I had this image of you getting off mid sprint – doing lunges, then getting back on the treadmill every few minutes. It sounded brutal! Well, lunges and squats at the end still sound brutal – but in a much better way :)

10 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I’ve never thought of adding lunges and squats to the end of a running workout. That’s a great idea!

11 Amanda April 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I’m trying this tonight! I just ran a 10k that was hilly and didn’t prepare. I have a 10 mile coming up next month and my fiance said it has even MORE hills – this workout came at the right time! :) Thanks!

12 Beka April 18, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I am doing those intervals tonight and combining yesterdays TIU workout since I missed it. I think I might have to amp it up a little as well. Monday’s intervals, while I was sweaty was just a little bit under challenging (which is a good thing!) :-D

13 Lacey April 18, 2012 at 2:17 pm

WOAH, FIVE-HEAD!!!

14 Meghann April 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm

And proud of it. :)

15 Bethany April 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm

WOAH, RUDE!!!

Too bad you couldn’t have put up a photo with your comment, Lacey, and then anonymous commenters could pick you apart, as well.

I am all for contructive criticism on blogs, and creating a place where people can express their varied opinions, but that was just plain rude and totally uncalled for.

Now that you’ve cut someone else down, you should feel great about yourself today – make it a great one!

16 Emily N April 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Next month? We’re only 18 days away! Lol.

17 Heather April 18, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Great hill work!

18 Army Amy* April 18, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I hate hill training, but it pays off!*

19 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets April 19, 2012 at 11:20 am

Hi Meghann! Your blog is fantastic – I just started following it.

Just wondering how you did the lunges & squats at the end of your run – did you perform them circuit-style or do all four sets of the lunges before moving on to the squats? Also, how much did you rest between the sets? Def going to try this! :) I’m doing a 10k on Sunday that is all downhill & I currently have shin splits, so this kind of routine will definitely be great to include in my training next time around.

20 Meghann April 19, 2012 at 11:32 am

I did it circuit style where I did one set of lunges, followed by one set of squats. I rested about 15-30 seconds between sets to catch my breath. If you do the lunges and squats immediately after the treadmill, trust me, you will feel it. :)