more ยป" />

A Case of the Blahs

by Meghann on April 18, 2012

Do you ever have one of those blah days where something just feels off?

That’s how my day was. The blahs were definitely out in full force and I could feel that something was off in the pit of my stomach. There was a good 30-40 minutes where I just starred at a post I was working on, but nothing was coming out. The creative juices did not want to flow, and when that happens, the best thing to do is just walk away and let it come back to you.

So I snacked

I ran errands

I snacked some more

And I made a kick- ass dinner.

A seriously kick ass dinner. I may have had the blahs, but I still had an appetite. ;)

I started with a pre-toasted pita that I layered with 1/2 an avocado and 1/2 a tomato

Topped with two scrambled eggs and baked at 400 for 5 minutes.

I finished the breakfast pizza with a sprinkle of green onion.

The fresh avocado and tomato gave the breakfast pizza a nice light and airy taste and texture. The pizza was filling, but not heavy or greasy. It was perfect.

A vegetable mix made up of roasted zucchini, roasted corn fresh off the cob, tomato, green onion, chili powder, and cumin completed my plate as a side dish. It was good too. :)

I also had my friend Courtney over for a beer.

IMG_2193.jpg

We had a nice long chat about the blahs and both decided that I need to get out of the house more. I’ve turned into such a homebody lately. Derek is a big homebody (he’s content to sit on the couch all day in the dark and not budge an inch) and his yearning to stay at home has definitely rubbed off on me. I like staying home, but I miss exploring and trying new things on a more regular basis.

I’m going to try and join Courtney’s swim group next week and need to look in to becoming more involved with the Tampa Tri Team. Honestly, I really just need an excuse to get away from my computer/work – there’s only so much one person can take of staring at a screen. A little more contact with real life people should help.

That’s the plan for now. And I think it’s a good one. :)

While we chatted, I made Erica’s 10 Grain Chocolate Chips Cookies.

Only they weren’t 10 grain – they were more like 5 since I couldn’t find the right 10 grain cereal. ;)

The cookies came out great. I had two hot out of the oven and enjoyed the hearty texture and the slight sweetness the chocolate chips gave the cookie. Even Derek liked them (which I wasn’t expecting since these are definitely not traditional chocolate chip cookies), his only request was that next time I should add more chocolate chips. Done and done. :)

What’s your cure for the blahs?

1 Annette @FitnessPerks April 18, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Ooooh those cookies look/sound great!

I totally agree about the Blahs and getting out more–I NEED the sunshine, so I must do that or else I go crazy!

2 Sana April 18, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I am so glad you posted about this, because I am sure other people who work from home will be able to relate.
You can also volunteer during the day to meet people and do something that will make you feel warm and fuzzy :)

3 Caroline April 18, 2012 at 11:14 pm

It sounds like a good idea to spend a little more time outside the house. It’s not so healthy to stay isolated. It’s tough to balance getting some alone/down time and getting around people to help increase our mood. Your dinner looks AMAZING!

4 Megan S April 18, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I always like it when a blogger admits they feel down at times. :) These things always seem to cycle. I find accepting the blahs (not wallowing but just sitting with and accepting- ‘so you feel sad, that’s ok, just feel it you feel happy a lot’) and reminding myself that I’ll be up again soon helps them go away faster. Hope you feel better soon, do something kind for yourself:)

5 Kristen April 19, 2012 at 2:44 am

I also like to get outside when the case of the blah’s hit (or the ever returning case of the mondays…so deadly). I also love to cross things off lists (even basic ones like ‘make list’ or ‘shower’) so if I’m not feeling super motivated, I make a list and tackle things one at a time so I feel accomplished…then I go get some fro yo…mmm :-)

6 Kathy April 19, 2012 at 6:15 am

I would never think of you as a “home body”…you seem to be a go, go , go ….and then after you go doesn’t every one need a few days to catch up at home before going again?

The blahs set in on every one don’t they? At least you still eat healthy…I usually use that (the blahs) as an excuse to eat some thing very sweet and bad for me and then I would end up regretting it and be more “blaaaaah”.

I think any running group or Tri Team you get involved with will be very lucky and you both will benefit. ;-)

7 Part Time House Wife April 19, 2012 at 6:20 am

I totally totally totally feel you on that! I have always been a MAJOR homebody but with blogging I’ve really turned into one! Getting out or having a friend over to talk about the blahs really helps. I had ‘em the other day too…Eww. I hate the blahs!

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 19, 2012 at 6:33 am

I’ve actually been feeling like that the past few days, too! And I really have no explanation for it. For me, I swear part of it has to be hormonal! Because there’s usually no rhyme or reason, and then I’m fine in a couple of days! So weird!

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 19, 2012 at 7:36 am

Definitely leaving my apartment! I know what you mean – I can all the sudden realize I’ve been home all day! It helps to schedule things and join groups!

10 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 19, 2012 at 7:52 am

I totally know what you mean about the blahs. I have them too. I try to get out as much as I can because it’s not good to be cooped up in the house all the time. Sometimes it’s good to just stay in and relax. I like a good balance of both :)

11 Emily N April 19, 2012 at 8:09 am

Ugh, the blahs are the worst. I would say the Tamp Tri Team will be a big help!

12 Beka April 19, 2012 at 8:16 am

It must be the week, I was definitely not feeling it yesterday either. But I finally snapped out of it around 9:30pm – just in time for bed.

13 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 19, 2012 at 8:38 am

I fall into ruts where I’ll stay at home more than usual and I generally end up feeling like you do extremely antsy and uneasy. Its smart of you to joint some other groups and try some new things to meet new people!

14 Meagan @ Managing Meagan April 19, 2012 at 8:43 am

Great way to cure the BLAHS– definitely getting outta the house. Going for a walk with a good friend is my favorite way. It gets the blood flowing, gets you moving, and gives you friend-gossip time. What’s better? :)

15 Hillary April 19, 2012 at 9:04 am

We all have “those days,” and I can definitely see how working from home, by yourself, can make those feelings worse. I think getting out and trying new things is a great idea—and so is baking! It’s my go-to stress reliever (well, that and running. Go figure!)

16 allpointswhole April 19, 2012 at 10:07 am

Thats great about walkng away..I totally agree. PS The food looks fab!

17 Cait's Plate April 19, 2012 at 11:11 am

Avocado + egg = AWESOME combo! Glad you at least were able to enjoy dinner and hope you wake up BLAH-free tomorrow :)

18 SaraRM April 19, 2012 at 11:44 am

That meal looks fabulous!

I definitely understand about the homebody issue. My husband could stay at home for a week straight and be fine but I HAVE to get out and do something so I dont drive myself crazy. Although Id rather be able to hang out with him ive realized i have to do it for me, even if i have to be on my own.

19 Amanda April 19, 2012 at 1:22 pm

My cures for the blahs include:
- workout (running and yoga seem to work best)
-walk outside (either with the dog or maybe while on the phone with my mom/a friend)
- go for a mani/pedi
- catch up on the DVR (more when I’m feeling stressed/like I haven’t had enough down time)

20 Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds April 19, 2012 at 9:32 pm

We all have those ‘blah’ moments… I seem to have them on a monthly basis! I think they become more common when you enter the working world… I don’t remember having ANY ‘blah’ moments while in school. But with work… it’s easy to fall into a routine of work… home… eat… sleep… five days out of the week. And it gets worse as you age!

21 Chelsea April 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Your dinner looks amazing!

When I get a case of the blahs, I either curl up with a cup of tea and one of my favorite movies (like Sex and the City, Horrible Bosses, or Iron Man) OR turn music on and dance around like a kid.

Hope your blahs go away soon! :)