Chia Seeds Stick To Your Teeth

by Meghann on April 17, 2012

There was a great article in Women’s Running Magazine this month about running with your pooch.

IMG_2034.JPG

Under the section that breaks down which breeds are best for speed, you’ll never guess what I found…

IMG_2038.JPG

Jack Russell terriers.

But I already knew that. ;)

There was a similar article in Runner’s World a year or two ago that said the same thing, which was really the article that prompted me to take Maddie on runs with me in the first place. At first I was afraid her little legs wouldn’t be able to handle it, but as the article states above, “Jack Russell terriers might be little, but they relish a good run.” True enough.

I took Maddie out for a 4 mile run this morning. True to the article, she relished every minute of it. We kept an average 9 minute pace and Maddie grinned from ear-to-ear the entire 36 minutes.

After our run, I broke out a mat and completed the Under the Sea workout as part of the Tone it Up bikini challenge series.

Screen shot 2012-04-17 at 9.04.30 AM.png

(source)

The Tone it Up girls made a great video (can be found HERE) where they complete one set of the workout. I followed the video for the first set so I could get a handle on the moves, then popped on Mad Men while I finished up the final two.

I really enjoyed the leg-heavy workout, but it took me a while to figure out the Crab Crunch (my arms weren’t sure where to go) and my balance was way off with the Seahorse (I fell hard. Twice.). Besides that, the moves were easy to follow and a fun. :)

My breakfast this morning was inspired by Brittany’s Chia Pudding with Rolled Oats

IMG_2024.JPG

I followed her recipe last night (minus the banana and I switched out the vanilla protein powder for chocolate), then let it chill in the fridge over night. This morning I topped the chia pudding with fresh strawberries and a handful of Kashi Go Lean Crisp to give it a little crunch. Chia pudding has an almost slimy texture, so I highly recommend a little granola on top to break it up a bit.

IMG_2029.JPG

As I said, the pudding texture if a little different, but after a couple of bites I started to really like it. Just watch out for gelled chia seeds in your teeth – trust me – they will stick there.

IMG_2026.JPG

Time to kick on this gorgeous day!

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 17, 2012 at 9:55 am

Haha I had chia seeds in my apple cinnamon oats this morning, and they get stuck in my teeth too! Worth it though. And I love the names of those moves, under the sea is a cute idea. Have a great day!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Veggies for Breakfast

2 kath April 17, 2012 at 10:02 am

They will stick all OVER your smile if you’re not careful!

-Speaking from experience :)
kath recently posted..{Hand Crafted}

3 Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles April 17, 2012 at 10:03 am

There’s no way I could run with my dog, unfortunately. He’d insist on stopping every half block to sniff something!!

And I’m out of chia seeds so thanks for the reminder to add them to my grocery list!

4 Kathy April 17, 2012 at 10:06 am

So does pumpernickel bread….every time I eat it I have to remember to check my smile before I walk out the door….its simply awful having black bread dots all over…I am guessing its a lot like the seeds. ;-)
Kathy recently posted..I like ChAnGe!!

5 abbi April 17, 2012 at 10:16 am

I always kind of laugh at those articles about running with a dog, it really just depends on the dog! Mutts are the best in my opinion but either way running with a dog is just wonderful. The teeth sticking factor is definitely an issue with chia seeds!
abbi recently posted..My Kind of Weekend

6 Cait's Plate April 17, 2012 at 10:16 am

Mmm! I haven’t seen Brittany’s chia seed pudding recipe but I definitely need to try it! It looks delicious!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pumped with Pumpkin

7 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 17, 2012 at 10:57 am

Yep they are almost worse than poppy seeds! And I never smile in the mirror before I leave to go places… I wish my toy poodle were a good running buddy. He is FULL of energy and could no doubt keep up with me, but he wants to stop and sniff too much and he slows me down.
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Whole Wheat Homemade Cheez-Its

8 Hillary April 17, 2012 at 11:18 am

I’m loving the Tone It Up plan so far—yesterday’s workout kicked my butt! Glad you liked today’s plan; I’m going to give it a shot after work.
Hillary recently posted..Oatmeal X 2

9 Grace @ Healthy Dreaming April 17, 2012 at 11:37 am

I just found your blog from Yelp! I was thrilled to find a fellow blogger from the Tampa area! Congratulations on your transformation :)

Breakfast looks delicious!
Grace @ Healthy Dreaming recently posted..Spicing it up!

10 Meghann April 17, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Hi! There are a ton of of us from Tampa! Check out the Facebook group I started http://www.facebook.com/TampaBayLadyBloggers

11 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 17, 2012 at 11:38 am

I’ve never had chia seeds before! I’ve been wanting to try them. They sound interesting. I hate when food like that gets stuck in your teeth.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..4 Months Away…

12 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 17, 2012 at 11:51 am

When I visited my mom in the past, I tried to take her dog on runs. Yeah, that didn’t work. She’s a Snoodle, and evidently that breed REALLY likes to sniff. Everything. Every 2 seconds. So when I would try to run with her, she would want to CONSTANTLY stop to sniff. You’re lucky your pups likes running! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A British Invasion.

13 Emily N April 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm

You are lucky that Maddie loves running. I think my dog loves sprinting. And then being done. :-)
Emily N recently posted..6 miles – Pre Work

14 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I frequently rock the chia smile! :)

I wish my dog would run with me. He hates running on a leash but if we are on a trail and he’s off leash, he’s in heaven!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..New Tabata Treadmill Workout

15 Annette @FitnessPerks April 17, 2012 at 1:09 pm

YES!! Chia seeds TOTALLY stick. Hah. Brush afterwards before leaving the house!!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Easy-To-Prep In-Bulk Foods

16 Brittany April 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Chia seeds are slimy and you definitely have to get used to the texture, but I love them!! Thanks for trying the recipe. :)
Brittany recently posted..Home Sweet Home – Healthy Grocery Store Shopping

17 jennyv April 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Out of curiosity I added my e-mail to the Tone It Up Girls listing so I’m receiving the same work out plans that you mentioned above. Do you know anything about their meal plans or what they advise?

18 Meghann April 17, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I know you can purchase their meal plan, but that’s about it. They also promote staying ‘Lean and Green’ with lots of lean proteins and veggies.

19 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen April 17, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Considering my dog’s (a weimaraner) energy levels, I’m not surprised she’s classified as a distance diva. Now, if I could only get her to not jump up and down for the entire first mile trying to bite the leash and subsequently making me trip every.single.time we might actually make it out for a long run.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Healthy peanut butter cookie dough dip

20 Fiona April 17, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I totally have to try the chia see pudding. Thanks for the inspiration!
Fiona recently posted..Vacation Time!

21 Jessica Krogman April 17, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Dogs make awesome running partners! I am actually a dog runner and LOVE it!
Jessica Krogman recently posted..I Love Carbs

22 Heather April 17, 2012 at 10:05 pm

My dachshund is more into sniffing than running. :)

I will have to try that pudding. It looks really good!
Heather recently posted..My first trail Half!

23 Emma Green April 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm

That article looks great! I also have a jack russell (well, parson russell, but pretty much the same thing!) and I agree, with what the article says!! She loves going on runs with me and I love having her come! Also, that chia pudding looks amazing. I must try it!
Emma Green recently posted..Guest Post: Stylish Storage by Katie Straw

24 ron April 28, 2012 at 11:14 am

It’s too bad that you think Kashi cereal is good for you. Pretty name, though – Kashi, I must admit. Excellent marketing as well. Had me fooled until I looked deeper. Owned by Kellogg’s, but made to look like it is a “healthy” food company with your best interest at heart. You won’t find their name on the cereal box. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I fell for it too originally but no longer bu Kashi products. Most of them are GMO – genetically modified, including GoLean. Read their website and the related non-GMO section. You will understand what I am talking about. Also, check out Institute for Responsible Technology – Seeds of deception if you want the full story. Finally, have a look at an excellent article – Cereal crimes. Just google it. Please let me know if this changes your mind….