more ยป" />

Cauliflower Tots

by Meghann on April 17, 2012

From pin…

…to dinner?

IMG_2083.JPG

Eh. Sorta.

Tonight I decided to have a little fun in the kitchen by testing out the Cheesy Cauliflower Tater Tots I had recently pinned on Pinterest. I was drawn to the short and simple ingredient list, the straight forward recipe, and, of course, the delicious looking photo. :)

The recipe itself was pretty easy to follow (I basically made mashed cauliflower with cheese, folded in egg whites, and baked the tots for 15 minutes at 375), but it did take some time to get through all the steps. I thought the egg whites were a nice touch and added some fluffiness to the tater tots. Unfortunately I fell short with rounding up a pastry bag or a star tube with a 3/4 inch opening, so mine weren’t the prettiest tots on the block. I kept it old school with a giant ziploc bag with the tip snipped off instead (classy). I also didn’t fry the tots and instead just baked them a little longer as the recipe suggested. They came out pretty soft, but did harden up after they were on the counter for a bit.

I’ll admit that I wasn’t sure if I was a fan at first, but the more I ate of them, the more I enjoyed them. The cheesy flavor is very subtle and the cauliflower is rich and mushy in the center. However, Derek was not a fan. He tried one and made a face. He said they tasted like mushy cauliflower and something just wasn’t right about that. Remind me never to make him mashed cauliflower…

IMG_2092.JPG

In the end I thought they were good, but I probably wouldn’t make them again due to how much work went into them. Maybe if they had knocked my socks off I would find an excuse to put the effort in, but there were no socks knocked off here. Oh well.

IMG_2090.JPG

I paired the cauliflower with some leftover ham from Easter that was in my freezer.

IMG_2085.JPG

and steamed green beans.

IMG_2080.JPG

Lunch today was a fun bowl of leftover roasted veggies topped with hummus, cheese, and walnuts.

IMG_2056.JPG

Did you know that cheese melted on warm hummus tastes just like refried beans with cheese? True story.

IMG_2057.JPG

With a juicy pear on the side.

IMG_2062.JPG

100 calorie bag of kettle corn with some peanuts for my mid-afternoon snack.

IMG_2071.JPG

And two Tag Alongs for dessert.

IMG_2094.JPG

Healthy Living Summit

Big News!

We have official dates: August 17-19th

We have an official location: Boston, MA <– that’s right! we’re going back to where it all started. ;)

I guess that only can mean one thing…. Healthy Living Summit 2012 is ON! Woo hoo!

I’ll fill in the details as they come, but I can say that we’re currently seeking speakers for the 2012 summit. So if you are passionate about healthy living or blogging – and are interested in speaking at this year’s summit – please head to the HLS Call for Submissions page now and submit a proposal. :)

Are you planning on attending the FOURTH annual Healthy Living Summit this year? I know I’ll be there. ;)

1 Sana April 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I have always wanted to go to Boston….

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 17, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Ahhhh I’m so excited about HLS!!!! I’m hoping to be able to go this year! So weird though because I feel like I practically just started and I’m not a “real blogger” but I guess I’ve been doing this daily for almost 9 months!

3 Katie @ Creature of Habit April 17, 2012 at 10:57 pm

That’s funny that you feel new when I absolutely recognize your name. Guess it’s all about perspective :)

4 Meghann April 18, 2012 at 11:10 am

kaite – you are a real blogger! There’s no such thing as a fake blogger. If you log on and write a blog (consistent or not) then you are a blogger! and would be happy to have you at this year’s HLS. :) Congrats on almost hitting the 9 month milestone!

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

You all are too sweet! thanks for making me smile!!! I hope I can come to HLS! Luckily it’s during my break between my internship and law school starting back up!

6 Heather April 18, 2012 at 2:12 am

woohoo! i’ve never been to any type of blogging event… but i am living in boston and i’d love to be able to go! so exciting

7 Lauren April 18, 2012 at 6:50 am

So excited for the HLS this year!!!

8 abbi April 18, 2012 at 6:59 am

I’ve had those tots pinned for awhile and need to try them. My husband may have the same reaction though and no way I’d be getting out the pastry bag and star tip to make them look pretty!

9 Meghann April 18, 2012 at 11:11 am

Ha! Please let me know when you make them! I’d love to hear yours thoughts on them as well. :)

10 Angela April 18, 2012 at 7:04 am

Any clue on when the tix will be going on sale??

11 Meghann April 18, 2012 at 11:12 am

mid-May. The goal is to have a final agenda before tickets go on sale. :)

12 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 18, 2012 at 7:48 am

I love Boston! It’s one of my favorite places to visit. Unfortunately, I will not be attending as it is my wedding weekend :)

13 Sara @my less serious life April 18, 2012 at 7:50 am

kettle corn + peanuts is the best! also i love adding cinnamon or agave nectar or even a drizzle of pb2!

14 Emily N April 18, 2012 at 8:07 am

*sings* I think I’ll go to Boston…

Anyway… I think maybe the frying thing helps with the color. I think you could maybe quick fry the tots in a very small amount of olive oil to get them a little golden and then rest them on a paper towel for a minute to soak up some of the excess before baking?

15 Meghann April 18, 2012 at 11:14 am

You are supposed to fry them after baking, but I can see the benefits of frying them before. Honestly, the only reason I didn’t fry them was because I didn’t want to dirty another pan. I think I went through 4 or 5 bowls/dishes/pans/etc making these things. I was just ready to eat them. lol

16 Stephanie April 18, 2012 at 8:16 am

Yay!!!! BOSTON <3 I am hoping to go! I've ever attended any blogging event but since it's so close to home I don't think I could miss this!

17 Lee April 18, 2012 at 8:20 am

I’m pretty sure I have this pinned too. Good to know about the taste, because while I love the taste of cauliflower, my husband does not .

18 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 18, 2012 at 9:02 am

Thats too bad about the cauliflower tots, the pin looks amazing!

19 Cait's Plate April 18, 2012 at 9:08 am

Woohoo! Maybe I can finally make it!

Also? That cauliflower looks pretty darn good if you ask me! I have so many recipes pinned on pinterest that I really need to delve into!

20 Dana April 18, 2012 at 9:13 am

I’m so excited that it’ll be back in Boston this year! I really wanted to attend, but don’t have many vacation days saved up, or enough moolah to travel, but since it’s in my hometown I’ll definitely be there! Looking forward to it!

21 Jessica April 18, 2012 at 10:29 am

Your cauliflower tots look interesting. I might try them. I love mashed cauliflower with some cheese. It is actually the only way I can get my daughter to eat cauliflower. Hopefully she will like the tots.

22 ct cupcake April 18, 2012 at 10:32 am

eh not sure about the cheese and hummus combo. Trader Joe’s sells an excellent vegetarian/fat free refried bean btw.

23 clare @ fittingitallin April 18, 2012 at 11:09 am

This is the weekend before I take a week off to travel to Europe, but I’m hoping I can still find a way to make it to the East Coast. I submitted a proposal:)

24 Cassie April 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Ah no! I’m so sad…I have a vacation planned to Boston to visit family on 8/22! So close but not close enough :(

25 Katie April 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I have zero extra vacation days available this year, but I have been following the event for a few years and am looking forward to going someday!

26 Maggie April 18, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I tried serving my husband mashed cauliflower a few months ago – not a fan! I thought it was tasty so I may give these a try sometime :)

27 Beka April 20, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I have been looking it up more now that a few details have been released. I want to attend HLS this year!