Tone it Up Bikini Challenge: Day 1

by Meghann on April 16, 2012

Happy Monday!

I know I owe you guys a New Rules of Lifting For Women wrap-up – which I plan to have up tomorrow! – but until then I thought I’d share a new mini-challenge I started this morning to temporarily fill the NROLFW void.

The Tone It Up Second Annual Bikini Series.

blog-tone-it-up-bikini-series-challenge.jpg

I’d been researching strength training plans for what come’s next when the challenge popped up in my Facebook newsfeed. I clicked over and discovered that the concept was pretty simple. The Tone it Up girls deliver daily motivation and workouts straight to your inbox and it’s free to sign up. I’ve done enough Tone it Up workouts in the past to know they’re tough and get results. It’s only an 8-week challenge (very mini compared to the near 11 month one I just completed with NROLFW) and the girls made it seem like fun. Why not? Sign me up.

Screen shot 2012-04-16 at 10.11.31 AM.png

Last night I received my first email for the series, which included Monday’s workout: 3 sets of the their 8 toning moves (12-15 reps each) and the HIIT It Plateau Buster. I actually enjoyed having the workout delivered directly to my mailbox, not knowing what to expect, it was a nice little surprise. It was also nice to have everything neatly laid out. I had my strength training moves and I had my cardio – easy.

When I got to the gym this morning I started with the HIIT It Plateau Buster on the treadmill, only I changed it around a little bit to make the intervals a little faster and longer. Instead of 3 minutes at 7.0 and 2 minutes at 4.0, I did 4 minutes at 8.0 and 3 minutes at 5.0. Until I’m done training for my marathon, I’m probably going to tweak all the cardio workouts to fit with my training. I ended up covering 6 miles in 55 minutes.

After the treadmill, I did the 8 toning moves. The toning moves were a bit trickier because they shared them via a video instead of in photo or diagram format. I wrote down what each of the moves were, but was questioning myself on the form for a couple of them. Next time I’ll just have to watch the video more than once. ;)

I was at the gym longer than intended (over an hour and a half), but I’m sure if I had kept with the original Hiit workout on the treadmill or had been more comfortable with the toning moves, I could have gotten out there a bit faster. I’m still learning. :)

Can’t wait to see what’s in store for day two!

Is anyone else following the Tone It Up Bikini Series Challenge? I think there’s still time to sign up – Click Here and let’s tackle this challenge together!

After the gym I made a bowl of cannoli cereal

IMG_1999.JPG

• 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • 1/2 cup Quaker Cinnamon Oatmeal Squares
  • 1/4 cup Naturebox Granola
  • mini chocolate chips
  • ricotta cheese
  • fig jam
  • fresh strawberries

IMG_1993.JPG

I accidentally went a little heavy on the mini chocolate chips. Oops. ;)

IMG_1995.JPG

Time to get this week started!

1 Mandy A April 16, 2012 at 10:28 am

I’m doing the challenge… I can’t get to a gym or outside because it’s too early to run for a HIIT, so I will probably be doing their new Beach Babe DVD HIIT and the Turbo Fire HIIT dvd’s!

Do you have latest issue of Self Magazine (with Carrie Underwood on the cover?). It has a pull out page to bring to the gym with the Toning moves! :)

So glad you’re doing this! This is my first bikini challenge, too! I’m excited!

2 Sarah April 16, 2012 at 10:28 am

I am following it! I love the Tone It Up girls and there are amazing women on twitter who are great motivation!!! Follow the hashtags, #bikinichallenge, #toneitupteam, and #beachbabe :D

3 Anjali Kotagal April 16, 2012 at 10:32 am

Hey Meghann! I love your blog! I’m part of the Tone it Up community and I’m signed up for the bikini challenge too!! Would love to tackle the challenge with ya!I’m Anjgoesfit on twitter. By the way, if you pick up a copy of Self Magazine’s April Issue with Carrie Underwood on it, the toning moves are included in the mag with instruction cards! It’s much easier to follow than the video! Hope this helps :)

4 tara April 16, 2012 at 10:35 am

I signed up and am debating doing it. I have a workout routine that I am pretty happy with but it’s nice to switch things up, and I love a schedule/challenge to do… your post is making me want to do it even more. When I work out this afternoon I’ll decide I guess :)

5 Justine @ Life With Cheeseburgers April 16, 2012 at 10:38 am

I have a pretty straightforward routine with squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, etc. but I am going to take a week or two away from that to try something new and keep my body guessing. Then I’ll probably go back to some variations of my normal routine–it’s done wonders for me!
Justine @ Life With Cheeseburgers recently posted..Strawberry Protein Breakfast Souffle

6 Jessie April 16, 2012 at 10:41 am

I’m doing the challenge – I absolutely love the Tone It Up girls! :) Glad to see you’re doing it, too!
Jessie recently posted..Crazy Apartment Hunting

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 16, 2012 at 10:49 am

I’ve never heard of the “Tone it up” Girls but it sounds like a good program!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A British Invasion.

8 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 16, 2012 at 10:56 am

You find the most interesting workout plans – another one I haven’t heard of. I love the concept of unknown and new workouts, I think that’s one of the reasons I love coaching (getting to plan fun for others). :)
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..An Awesome Food & Fitness Weekend!

9 Carrie April 16, 2012 at 11:05 am

I’ve never heard of Tone it Up before, but good luck on your challenge!
Carrie recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up

10 Caitlin @ Chasing A Mile April 16, 2012 at 11:05 am

I signed up, but I am not going to start until 4/30 because I am currently working another plan.
Caitlin @ Chasing A Mile recently posted..The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes

11 Kristen April 16, 2012 at 11:17 am

I’m doing it:) I am actually doing it because I read on your facebook that you signed up and I was intrigued and needed a plan. It is fun not knowing what the days will bring way in advance. This will be fun finding out the night before and no excuse the next morning to do it. Good Luck!!

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 16, 2012 at 11:24 am

I actually saw on either GMA or the Today show that adding chocolate to your breakfast, rather than having it later in the day, is a healthy way to start the day! As long as you eat it with protein to balance it out!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Humid Polar Bear Run

13 Annemarie April 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

You should definitely the chocolate varieties of Mad Hectic Foods oatmeal! It is organic protein oatmeal! I eat the French Chocolate with a scoop of Teddy’s Peanut Butter and a banana—GREAT way to start the day! lol http://www.madhecticfoods.com

14 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 16, 2012 at 11:35 am

Just signed up for the challenge too – looking forward to the daily emails :)
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..10 things I learned from my duathlon

15 Erin April 16, 2012 at 11:36 am

I think those 8 moves were the tear-out cards in the latest Self magazine! Now that I’ve seen then demonstrated I’m going to dig those cards out and put them to use!
Erin recently posted..My Weekend Goal

16 Alexandra "Alec" Dadisman April 16, 2012 at 11:40 am

I’m doing the Bikini Series and the 5 Day Slim Down starting today too! I did a blog post on my goals and such here:

17 Emily April 16, 2012 at 11:41 am

I am doing this as well! Good luck to you and the cereal looks SO good. xo

18 Erin April 16, 2012 at 11:42 am

I just signed up for the challenge! I having been wanting to find some great moves to get beach ready! Can I also ask what marathon training plan you are following? I am sure you have stated it before, but I didn’t catch which one it was.

19 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm
20 Amy April 16, 2012 at 11:45 am

Looks like a good challenge. I can’t believe you’re already on to another challenge after just finishing NOLFW! Go girl!

21 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed April 16, 2012 at 11:54 am

I want their hair too.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Does the Human Hide Shrink in 2500 Gallons of Water?

22 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Ditto.

23 Heather April 16, 2012 at 12:22 pm

sounds fun! I am going to sign up!
Heather recently posted..The One Where We Got Rear Ended

24 Beka April 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I signed up last week too! I will be tackling this tonight after work.
I really liked that they included the video of how to do the moves. I took a few shots with my camera on my phone while the video was playing to remind myself if i need to while at the gym. Or I could just open the video from email I guess!
The workout will be my first interval workout EVER. I am slightly nervous for that!

25 Hillary April 16, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I signed up for the challenge, too. Now that I’m done with half marathon training, I need something to keep me interested and motivated, and I’ve heard great things about the Tone It Up girls. We’ll see how this goes!
Hillary recently posted..Oatmeal X 2

26 Annette @FitnessPerks April 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Sounds like a great program to follow!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Long Distance Running

27 Part Time House Wife April 16, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I need me some Bikini readiness! I might sign up but I need extra motivation too. I’m so bad at just working out with out a class…
Part Time House Wife recently posted..Bruschetta Stuffed Chicken Breast

28 Tasha @RunningOnSalsa April 16, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Hi Meghann!

I will also be doing this challenge. I know several comments above have mentioned that the toning moves are listed in the last issue of Self Magazine but you can also find them on Self Magazine’s website under the “Drop 10″ section.. The Drop 10 Challenge was a challenge created by Self and by the Tone It Up trainers. You might have to sign up to the Drop 10 challenge to see the toning moves (this is free to do) but I figured I would share another way you can look them up! :)
Tasha @RunningOnSalsa recently posted..Pet Peeves While Running

29 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Thanks, Tasha!

30 Brittany April 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I recently purchased the Tone It Up plan, so I’m starting the Bikini Challenge as well! I love how straightforward the workouts are, and the nutrition plan is easy to follow and so healthy. It’s a great lifestyle plan! :)

31 Brittany April 16, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I’m excited you’re doing the Bikini Challenge as well. I’m doing it and following the meal plan but not following the workouts exactly because I’m doing a bootcamp program that I bought a living social deal for. The workouts include cardio and strength training so I think I’ll still get results. :)
Brittany recently posted..Home Sweet Home – Healthy Grocery Store Shopping

32 meghan April 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Hey Meghann! I’m glad you’re doing the challenge. They’re also doing a Self Drop 10 Challenge, and if you go buy the Self magazine from this month they have the cards for those workouts that they emailed. They’ll refer back to those 8 moves quite a bit, so I take those cards with me to the gym, and they’re double sided so you can see the movements as you go. Also, I’m not sure they explained it well enough there, but in the Self Magazine issue they say that the numbers on the HIIT workouts are the effort levels you should be putting out, not the speed. So for me, it was a bit lower than what I would like to run too, so I run at higher but just make sure my effort level is around what they’re suggesting. :)
meghan recently posted..You get stronger

33 RunEatRepeat April 16, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I’m doing the challenge too! I love turning my brain off and being able to just follow someone else’s plan at the gym so it doesn’t feel like work :)
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Coffee Maker Oatmeal

34 Erin April 16, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Were you ever going to post a SXSW write up?

35 Erin April 16, 2012 at 4:27 pm

thanks for posting this plan, I think I’m going to try it! All I ever do is run and I definitely need to start incorporating weights/toning moves. Question- not sure if it makes a difference but do you do all eight moves and then repeat to get your three sets or do you do all three sets of a move before moving on to the next one

36 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Good question! I’m still under the NROLFW mindset, so I split it up in groups of 4 and did all three sets for the first four and then the second. I’m not sure if it’s right, but it made sense in my head to break it up a little :)

37 Holly April 16, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I recently read the NROLFW book and was planning to start Stage 1 within the next week. I’ve seen a lot of people sign up for the TIU Bikini Challenge and wonder if anyone has an opinion on which is best to get ready for summer?

38 Meghann April 17, 2012 at 10:30 am

Good question! Since I’ve only done NROLFW, I’m not sure I can give a total opinion, but I will tell you it takes a while to see results from it. It’s a 6 month plan that requires dedication. If you’re JUST looking to get ready for bikin season, you might was to try TIU first, then switch to NROLFW for the long haul. Good luck!

39 laura April 19, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Totally agree! I started NROLFW about the same time you did, Meghann, and it took me several months to see significant results. Results will come, but they take awhile!
laura recently posted..when the sun comes out in Portland

40 Jenna @ Resistance Bands Reviews April 16, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I just lost 14 lbs in the last 2 months and now it’s time to tone those muscles. Not sure if I’ll be bikini ready, but I’ll sure be one-piece ready… with maybe some tummy control. lol
Jenna @ Resistance Bands Reviews recently posted..Bodylastics: does it work? what to get?

41 beachgirlrunning April 16, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Thanks for info on the Bikini Challenge!! I’m in! Never heard of the Tone It Up girls but looking forward to some good (pre-set) workouts.

42 Summer T. April 16, 2012 at 5:51 pm

just signed up with ya

43 Corey @ Learning Patience April 16, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I caught your tweet this am and did the tone video…love love love those moves…putting 3 in my permanent rotation. Thanks!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Getting Back in the Groove

44 Gillian April 16, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I’m going to join as well! I think I need to mix it up a little bit, and try something new.
Gillian recently posted..Heat Wave Run

45 Lindsey April 16, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I signed up! Lately I can’t motivate myself to do any strength training, just run run run. Hopefully this will help!

46 fionarwbl April 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I’ve done a couple of Tone It Up workouts before, but never the whole bikini challenge. You’ve inspired me to sign up though! Also, that cannoli breakfast looks AMAZING. Especially with the extra chocolate chips …
fionarwbl recently posted..Vacation Time!

47 CheezyK April 16, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Fabulous! I’ve been looking for something new … this might be it, thanks for sharing :D
CheezyK recently posted..Because You Asked so Nicely …

48 Jessica April 16, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Confession, I made this cereal tonight for dessert, it was THAT good. thanks for posting!

49 Erika April 17, 2012 at 9:43 am

Signed up yesterday and did the first workout this morning. It seemed easy at the time, but WOAH, I can feel it now! The girls are so much fun that you almost forget you’re working out. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

50 Annemarie April 20, 2012 at 11:32 am

I just signed up for the challenge…can’t wait to get started tomorrow morning! Also glad there’s support everywhere!