more ยป" />

Polenta + Soup

by Meghann on April 16, 2012

I made soup for dinner tonight.

Good soup.

Everything but the kitchen sink soup.

• 1/2 red onion
  • 1 large sweet potato (cubed)
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms
  • 2 cups fresh spinach
  • 1 cup frozen broccoli pieces
  • 1 can navy beans
  • 1 can vegetable broth (+1 can water)
  • thyme
  • cumin
  • s&p

Cook veggies until soft . Add beans. Add both. Add water. Season to taste. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve.

While the soup was simmering I realized I needed something else to go with it. Rice? No, we had that last night. Pasta noodles? No, all we had were penne. Bread? Out. Except for pitas that need to be defrosted.

Then I spotted the glass container of cornmeal on the counter and got an idea. Polenta? On soup? Why not.

I made a really quick version of polenta by whisking milk and cornmeal together in a pot on medium heat. There was no measuring, I just eyed it until the consistency looked right. I also added some salt and pepper and a heavy handful of cheddar cheese to season it up a bit.

When the soup was done I spooned a couple of spoonfuls of the polenta right on top of my soup. Derek created a polenta shell on top of his. His looked like a polenta shepard’s pie, which totally gave me an idea for what to do next time. Polenta Shepard’s Pie?! I think we’re on to something here! ;)

The polenta on top of the soup ended up being the perfect addition. It was a nice salty/cheesy touch that added a lot of flavor and a fun texture to the standard bowl of soup. I will be trying this trick again. ;)

I was at my home away from home this afternoon (Starbucks – I knew I was in trouble when they built one right down the street from me). I had a grande non-fat misto and snacked on some almonds and dried mango while getting work done.

For dessert I defrosted a mango cupcake.

Is it weird I prefer the icing when it’s still frozen? Next time I may just leave the cupcake and eat the icing straight out of the freeze. Yum. :)

It’s a nice quiet evening around here – the perfect time to relax with another episode of Mad Men.

Good Night!

1 Julie April 16, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Thanks for teaching me the misto trick – what an awesome way to get a yummy drink at a fraction of the price! And, I have a registered Starbucks card so flavor shots are free! Not bad!

2 Emily April 16, 2012 at 11:58 pm

haha the first line of this post reminded me of this hilarious youtube song:

it gets stuck in my head……
Emily recently posted..This is what happens when Hobby Lobby has a paper sale

3 Carrie April 17, 2012 at 12:34 am

Polenta in soup sounds awesome!
Carrie recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up

4 Cait's Plate April 17, 2012 at 7:05 am

I think I’d prefer icing while still frozen too…so I don’t think that’s weird at all.

That soup looks delicious! I love when you take what you have and just throw it together and make a meal! I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, you’re SO creative in the kitchen!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Airports

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 17, 2012 at 7:12 am

that soup looks so good, and I keep meaning to buy/make polenta. Thanks for the reminder!!!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Veggies for Breakfast

6 Sara @my less serious life April 17, 2012 at 7:17 am

love the idea of polenta on soup! creamy goodness!

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 17, 2012 at 7:36 am

You always have very creative meal ideas … love this one! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A British Invasion.

8 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups April 17, 2012 at 8:14 am

I’ve been so obsessed with Mad Men on Netflix. I watch a couple episodes every night!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..My first experience with TRX

9 Emily N April 17, 2012 at 8:42 am

Soup looks yummy and FULL of veggies!
Emily N recently posted..For the Curious

10 Beka April 17, 2012 at 8:53 am

That looks DELICIOUS! Mike isn’t a big soup eater, but I would finish off a pot by myself!
Beka recently posted..Weekend Wrap up

11 Angela April 17, 2012 at 9:01 am

I’ve never had polenta…is it like mashed potatoes??
Angela recently posted..Grocery Shopping 101

12 Meghann April 18, 2012 at 11:24 am

It’s sorta like cornbread batter. It’s also known as grits in the south. :)

13 Kathy April 17, 2012 at 9:59 am

Glad to see I wasn’t the only thinking …What is Polenta? HA! I am going to google it right now…

Also, I am a Caribou kind of girl…only been to Starbucks once or twice …ever…what is a misto? ;-)
Kathy recently posted..I like ChAnGe!!

14 Meghann April 18, 2012 at 11:25 am

I’m not sure I’ve ever been to Caribou! I don’t think there’s one around me. :) A misto is Starbuck’s version of Cafe Au Lait where it’s basically a coffee with steam milk on top.

15 Dusty @ Running to Healthy April 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm