Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers

by Meghann on April 15, 2012

When I lived in Orlando, a handful of bloggers and I started meeting every once in a blue moon to chat about all things blog. Those meetings began to become more regular and pretty soon we were meeting once a month. Thus The Central Florida Lady Bloggers group was formed.

As much as I tried, I wasn’t able to make it to any more Central Florida Lady Blogger meet-ups after I moved to Tampa. The group grew about 50 times over and I really began to miss the ladies and how active the Orlando blogging community was. Deep down Callie and I knew the Tampa Bay blogging community could be just as active as Orlando – we just needed a central place to all come together. Thus the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers group was formed.

We had our first meet-up this afternoon at The Lime and had quite a turn-out.

IMG_2092.JPG

Success! Not only did we all get to know some Tampa bloggers that we had already been following, but we also met some new ones too. Hopefully we can keep these meet-ups up and turn this into a regular thing. At the very least it’s just an excuse to get aways for an afternoon out with the girls.

Psstt…When i first posted about Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers the other week, someone had commented saying they wished that had a group in their area. Well…. start one! There should be lady blogger groups all over the country! All it takes is one person to start it . :)

IMG_2094.JPG

The table shared a couple of baskets of chips as we chatted.

IMG_2090.JPG

As well as the dip trio (love me some guacamole)

IMG_2089.JPG

I filled up on chips, so dinner was pretty light.

IMG_2097.JPG

Brown rice, roasted veggies (carrots, broccoli, brussels sprouts, acorn squash, and onion), marinara sauce, goat cheese, and hummus.

IMG_2098.JPG

A light meal, but a tasty one. :)

With a serving of cookies and cream ice cream for dessert.

There’s always room for dessert, right? ;)

My project tonight.

Note the test pinwheel took me an hour to make and still looks funny. They make it look so easy in the DIY tutorial. That’s where they get ya – they make it look easy, then you spent the next hour questioning any skills you may have. Hopefully it only gets easier from here.

Good Night!

1 Megan S April 15, 2012 at 11:03 pm

That’s a really nice idea! How would you gO about finding other bloggers in your area if you weren’t a well known blog? I don’t really use any other social media, is there anything else? I live in Santa Cruz in California and I’m not sure of there are as many bloggers out here?

2 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 9:32 am

I would google Santa Cruz and see what pops up, then connect to them on Facebook. I would also check out local restaurants, attractions Facebook pages in the area and see who they are following or advertise the group on there. It’s all about networking and connecting.

3 Heather @ Housewife Glamour April 15, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Love that you started a Lady Bloggers Tampa Group! I just went to my very first Central Florida Lady Bloggers outing last month and had a blast. I actually went to college in Tampa at USF, so would love an opportunity to meet up with ladies in both areas.

PS: Yeah, I gave up on a lot of those DIY wedding projects…lol. Good for you for going for it! :)
Heather @ Housewife Glamour recently posted..Dining Out, Saving Dollar$

4 maria @ mim April 15, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Regarding the pinwheel–one suggestion would be to trace an actual circle for the center. Right now it’s not even, which makes it look a little messier than a symmetrical circle would. Easy fix!
maria @ mim recently posted..Integrate Cool Applications with WordPress.com

5 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 9:23 am

Oh, I know! This was just a test one. I just did a random cut out for the circle to see what it will look like. That wasn’t the issue I had. I need to get some Elmer’s glue because the hot glue gun wasn’t holding the pieces together – can you see the staples? :)

6 Kristen April 16, 2012 at 12:33 am

Great idea to get everyone together. Good luck on the DIY projects…I find wine always makes the projects look better ;-)
Kristen recently posted..Cooking like an American

7 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 9:30 am

Awesome suggestion! ;)

8 caitlin April 16, 2012 at 12:34 am

I think if you just used a color for the pinwheel it would look the same as the other one! Colors hide imperfections :)

And you have inspired me- I am going to see if there are any blogging meetups in my area!

9 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 9:30 am

Thanks! This was a test one, so I used throw away paper incase I messed up (which I did!) I’m hoping the color ones will look a little better. :)

10 Gina B April 16, 2012 at 4:55 am

I did a ton of DIY for my wedding and sister’s shower. It’s definitely worth it when the end result shows your hard work :) One suggestion: trace a lid/bottle or use a compass to make the circle in the center more finished-looking. I think it may help it have a cleaner look. Good luck!

11 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 9:29 am

haha I should have put a little * to state the circle wasn’t meant to be a finished circle, just something I cut at the last minute to see how it would potentially work. I bought some buttons to go there, but thanks for the lid suggestion!

12 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 16, 2012 at 6:55 am

I used to really like The Lime when I lived in that area. :) I also really liked Ciccio’s and Water sushi, which I believe are all owned by the same people. Always good food and fun environments! Looks like you guys had a great time!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A British Invasion.

13 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats April 16, 2012 at 7:21 am

We just had a Chicago meet up this weekend!! I love getting together with other bloggers!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Best Body Check Up

14 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 16, 2012 at 7:27 am

I love doing diy things! I have a handful of things that I still need to diy for my wedding. I think it makes it that much more special that you created everything. :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Weekend of Beautiful Weather…

15 Hillary April 16, 2012 at 8:14 am

I love the idea of a blog meet up. I’ve heard of a few taking place here in the Baltimore area; I just need to actually GET to one!
Hillary recently posted..Oatmeal X 2

16 Alicia at Poise in Parma April 16, 2012 at 8:15 am

LOVE me a good blogger meet up!! I’m excited to be organizing the 16th official Ohio Blogging Association meet up in Cleveland tomorrow night. A local beer blogger is guiding us through a beer tasting at one of our local beer and whisky bars.
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..Steps To Hosting A Successful Bloggers Yoga Meetup

17 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 9:28 am

That sounds like FUN! Great idea for a meet up!

18 Angela April 16, 2012 at 8:32 am

I feel the same way about pinterest. Pinterest makes you think you can do any DIY project, dress like a fashion star, build some built in shelves, and makes adorable cakes…then you try..looks nothing like pinterest lol
Angela recently posted..Weigh in Friday

19 krystal April 16, 2012 at 8:52 am

I just moved away from Tampa so I not a participant, but there is a Tampa group!

Maybe y’all can join forces! :)

20 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 9:22 am

Yes! They’ve already contacted me via the Facebook group. They didn’t have a Facebook group before so we’ve joined forces. :)

21 Corey @ Learning Patience April 16, 2012 at 9:01 am

The meet up looks like fun…trying to get one going here in Trinidad…fingers crossed!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Giving Thanks – Week 38

22 Kate April 16, 2012 at 9:18 am

Try making the accordion folds a little big bigger, maybe by half an inch? I tried these a while ago and that was the only way I could get them to come out!

23 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 9:25 am

I tried making them bigger at first, but couldn’t lay it flat like a pinwheel. When I made them smaller I could get it to work. It’s funny how it can work differently for different people.

24 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 16, 2012 at 9:23 am

That is awesome you have such a large blogging community there!

25 Emily N April 16, 2012 at 9:57 am

Glad you guys had a good turn out for your meet-up!
Emily N recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 15 in Review

26 Jennifer B April 16, 2012 at 11:20 am

I’m the one who joined your Facebook group and mentioned our other Tampa bloggers group. Would love to meet up with you guys next time! I reviewed The Lime too- one of my new favorite places!
Jennifer B recently posted..The Lodge

27 Kirsten April 16, 2012 at 11:43 am

Hey Meghann I would love to join the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers group but I don’t have facebook! Is there any other way I can get the updates? Thanks! -Kirsten
Kirsten recently posted..Day 106: Asian Slaw

28 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Sure! shoot me an email (mealsandmiles@gmail.com) :)

29 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Awesome! We truly miss you here in Orlando but glad you all formed a team over at Tampa :)
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Whole-wheat mango hot cakes

30 Chris April 16, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I made pinwheels and rosettes for my wedding. I found the rosettes got better looking with practice and that two sided glue (like for scrapbooks) worked really well to hold the three pieces together instantly without having to rely on wet glue. I used these: http://www.gluedots.com/products/1-inch-glue-lines.html and bought them at michael’s. I also skipped putting a circle in the middle of them and they looked a-ok!

Pinwheels are also super easy to make – it’s getting them to spin that is tricky! But with some time and practice, that worked too. But if you are just using them for decoration, super easy and less time consuming than the rosettes!

31 Caroline Calcote April 16, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Thanks for organizing the group Meghann! It was nice to meet you and all the other ladies.
Caroline Calcote recently posted..Bloggers and Doctors

32 Genna April 16, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I had a blast meeting everyone!! My friend from camp years ago meshed me saying she saw me on your blog! It’s great to know it
‘s a small small world!

33 Katie April 17, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Oh my – I had no idea about this group! Looks like I’ll have to join and see when y’all will be meeting up again – sad I missed out!
Katie recently posted..Sweet Tooth: Bern’s Harry Waugh Dessert Room

34 Natasha May 29, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Hi! I came across your blog via skinnyrunner.com and I’m in Tampa! Had no idea there was a Lady Bloggers group, but I will be looking it up!