more ยป" />

Datz good

by Meghann on April 15, 2012

Happy Sunday!

This morning I wanted to introduce my parents to one of my Top 10 favorite places to eat in Tampa – Datz Deli. I love Datz for their funky atmosphere and eccentric menu and I knew my parents would love it too.They serve breakfast 7 days of the week, but have a special brunch menu on the weekends, which includes treats such as red velvet pancakes (with cream cheese icing in place of syrup!) and banana-bacon-peanut butter waffles. It’s definitely worth checking out if you’re in the Tampa area.

IMG_2081.JPG

We’ve been spoiled with gorgeous weather this weekend – not too hot, not too cold, and perfect for dining outside. I didn’t even know Datz had an outdoor patio, but I do know now.

IMG_2078.JPG

See the photos of food? They were tweeted by Datz customers. Datz referenced the tweet below each photo as a modern day form of testimonials. I though it was clever. :)

IMG_2072.JPG

This was what I was after.

IMG_2074.JPG

I almost went with the Red Velvet Tower, but that sounded a bit too rich for me ( I think the cream cheese icing would have been over the top). Instead I ordered the belgian waffle with strawberries and bacon.

IMG_2076.JPG

Plus a side of scrambled eggs.

IMG_2080.JPG

I crumbled the bacon on top of the waffle and enjoyed the lovely sweet and savory mix with each bite. I knew I liked this place. ;)

After Datz my parents and I did a little shopping in preparation for my sister’s bridal shower next weekend. We hit up a local discount basket store, Joann Fabrics, and Party City. We’re sticking with the picnic party themed and I think it’s really starting to come together. I still have a few DIY projects up my sleeves, but it’s getting there.

IMG_2087.JPG

What will I make with wooden sticks and 12×12 patterned paper? You’ll see. ;)

We made it back home around 1:00 and I was ready to a light lunch.

IMG_2083.JPG

A leftover bean burger from Friday night with ketchup.

IMG_2084.JPG

Pear slices.

IMG_2085.JPG

My parents just left, but the weekend isn’t over yet!

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday everyone!

Where’s your favorite place for breakfast/brunch on the weekends?

1 Sana April 15, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I know your sister will appreciate all the work you are putting into her wedding :)

2 Kelly April 15, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I DO! :) Can’t wait to return the favor soon!

3 Hillary April 15, 2012 at 2:19 pm

There are two restaurants in Baltimore that I love for brunch: Miss Shirley’s is a B-more institution, and they have a seasonal rotation of incredible pancakes. I also love the Golden West Cafe for their Tex-Mex spin on brunch. I’d be happy with either one!

4 Kathy April 15, 2012 at 3:22 pm

You need to host a retreat/tour for blogger people and more. You would be an awesome tour guide to show us all these great places,deli’s, etc…I know I would never find these sites on my own.

;-)

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Oh my word, I so would have gotten either the carrot cake pancakes or the red velvet cake ones!! They sound amazing!! :)

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 15, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Um, banana bacon peanut butter waffles!?!?! Sign me up!

7 Lindsey April 15, 2012 at 4:02 pm

As lame as it may sound – at home! No where can beat the brunches we create and I can enjoy them on my couch with a blanket :)

8 Alyssa April 15, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Yikes, I’d hate to be that server that you just called out! I’m guessing you never worked in food service? When it’s crazy busy it’s easy to accidentally forget a request like tartar sauce, since it’s one of millions. I’d consider bad service to be when people are rude, not when they make a harmless mistake. You know how you forgot to do your taxes until the last minute? It’s kind of like that.

9 Meghann April 15, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I could understand that if the place was busy, but it wasn’t. There were plenty of open tables and plenty of servers working.

10 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 15, 2012 at 8:27 pm

The Red Velvet Pancakes sound divine but I would have been in sugar overload after 2 bites! Good choice with the Belgian waffles. I’d eat it just for the strawberries.

11 BroccoliHut April 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Such smart marketing to use Twitter photos of the menu items! That makes me feel like perhaps all the photos I snap of restaurant food will someday be put to good use :)
There’s a local place here in the Raleigh-Durham area called Elmo’s Diner that has the best breakfast food. Their pumpkin pancakes are legendary!

12 Megan @ The I Do Diaries April 15, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I have to admit, I would have probably gone with the Red Velvet pancakes…and then regretted being in a sugar coma for the rest of the day ;-) I have such a sweet tooth, and the cream cheese icing just sounds too good to resist!

I love that Datz used tweets to advertise the food on their menu-how tech savvy and very 2012 of them!

Honestly, I think my husband and I create some of the best brunches at home, we recently moved to Atlanta and haven’t discovered a brunch place yet. We love making egg frittatas, chocolate chip pancakes and nutella-stuffed french toast. Who needs a restaurant when you have nutella??

13 Kristen April 16, 2012 at 12:38 am

Ella’s in SF has the best brunch food…my mouth waters when I walk by. Such a cool idea of Datz to use Twitter!

14 Emily N April 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

That waffle looks AWESOME.

15 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 16, 2012 at 11:27 am

Oooh, I like the looks of those ‘Carrot Cakes’ on top. Looks like a delicious brunch!

16 Lindsay @ The Quote I Wrote April 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm

After 8 days of Passover and and unsatiating matzah, the idea of beligian waffles has NEVER sounded (or looked) better!! YUM!