Datz good

by Meghann on April 15, 2012

Happy Sunday!

This morning I wanted to introduce my parents to one of my Top 10 favorite places to eat in Tampa – Datz Deli. I love Datz for their funky atmosphere and eccentric menu and I knew my parents would love it too.They serve breakfast 7 days of the week, but have a special brunch menu on the weekends, which includes treats such as red velvet pancakes (with cream cheese icing in place of syrup!) and banana-bacon-peanut butter waffles. It’s definitely worth checking out if you’re in the Tampa area.

We’ve been spoiled with gorgeous weather this weekend – not too hot, not too cold, and perfect for dining outside. I didn’t even know Datz had an outdoor patio, but I do know now.

See the photos of food? They were tweeted by Datz customers. Datz referenced the tweet below each photo as a modern day form of testimonials. I though it was clever. :)

This was what I was after.

I almost went with the Red Velvet Tower, but that sounded a bit too rich for me ( I think the cream cheese icing would have been over the top). Instead I ordered the belgian waffle with strawberries and bacon.

Plus a side of scrambled eggs.

I crumbled the bacon on top of the waffle and enjoyed the lovely sweet and savory mix with each bite. I knew I liked this place. 😉

After Datz my parents and I did a little shopping in preparation for my sister’s bridal shower next weekend. We hit up a local discount basket store, Joann Fabrics, and Party City. We’re sticking with the picnic party themed and I think it’s really starting to come together. I still have a few DIY projects up my sleeves, but it’s getting there.

What will I make with wooden sticks and 12×12 patterned paper? You’ll see. 😉

We made it back home around 1:00 and I was ready to a light lunch.

A leftover bean burger from Friday night with ketchup.

Pear slices.

My parents just left, but the weekend isn’t over yet!

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday everyone!

Where’s your favorite place for breakfast/brunch on the weekends?

1 Sana April 15, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I know your sister will appreciate all the work you are putting into her wedding :)
Sana recently posted..Rekindling My Romance With Chipotle

2 Kelly April 15, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I DO! :) Can’t wait to return the favor soon!

3 Hillary April 15, 2012 at 2:19 pm

There are two restaurants in Baltimore that I love for brunch: Miss Shirley’s is a B-more institution, and they have a seasonal rotation of incredible pancakes. I also love the Golden West Cafe for their Tex-Mex spin on brunch. I’d be happy with either one!
Hillary recently posted..Be Kind.

4 Kathy April 15, 2012 at 3:22 pm

You need to host a retreat/tour for blogger people and more. You would be an awesome tour guide to show us all these great places,deli’s, etc…I know I would never find these sites on my own.

Kathy recently posted..I like ChAnGe!!

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Oh my word, I so would have gotten either the carrot cake pancakes or the red velvet cake ones!! They sound amazing!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The perfect springtime dessert.

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 15, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Um, banana bacon peanut butter waffles!?!?! Sign me up!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Best Body Check Up

7 Lindsey April 15, 2012 at 4:02 pm

As lame as it may sound – at home! No where can beat the brunches we create and I can enjoy them on my couch with a blanket :)

8 Alyssa April 15, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Yikes, I’d hate to be that server that you just called out! I’m guessing you never worked in food service? When it’s crazy busy it’s easy to accidentally forget a request like tartar sauce, since it’s one of millions. I’d consider bad service to be when people are rude, not when they make a harmless mistake. You know how you forgot to do your taxes until the last minute? It’s kind of like that.
Alyssa recently posted..60.3

9 Meghann April 15, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I could understand that if the place was busy, but it wasn’t. There were plenty of open tables and plenty of servers working.

10 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 15, 2012 at 8:27 pm

The Red Velvet Pancakes sound divine but I would have been in sugar overload after 2 bites! Good choice with the Belgian waffles. I’d eat it just for the strawberries.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..2012 Boston Marathon – Who’s Running?

11 BroccoliHut April 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Such smart marketing to use Twitter photos of the menu items! That makes me feel like perhaps all the photos I snap of restaurant food will someday be put to good use :)
There’s a local place here in the Raleigh-Durham area called Elmo’s Diner that has the best breakfast food. Their pumpkin pancakes are legendary!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Cookbook Giveaway, Week 4!

12 Megan @ The I Do Diaries April 15, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I have to admit, I would have probably gone with the Red Velvet pancakes…and then regretted being in a sugar coma for the rest of the day 😉 I have such a sweet tooth, and the cream cheese icing just sounds too good to resist!

I love that Datz used tweets to advertise the food on their menu-how tech savvy and very 2012 of them!

Honestly, I think my husband and I create some of the best brunches at home, we recently moved to Atlanta and haven’t discovered a brunch place yet. We love making egg frittatas, chocolate chip pancakes and nutella-stuffed french toast. Who needs a restaurant when you have nutella??

13 Kristen April 16, 2012 at 12:38 am

Ella’s in SF has the best brunch food…my mouth waters when I walk by. Such a cool idea of Datz to use Twitter!
Kristen recently posted..Cooking like an American

14 Emily N April 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

That waffle looks AWESOME.
Emily N recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 15 in Review

15 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 16, 2012 at 11:27 am

Oooh, I like the looks of those ‘Carrot Cakes’ on top. Looks like a delicious brunch!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Monday, Monday…

16 Lindsay @ The Quote I Wrote April 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm

After 8 days of Passover and and unsatiating matzah, the idea of beligian waffles has NEVER sounded (or looked) better!! YUM!