more ยป" />

Pet Beach

by Meghann on April 14, 2012

My mom called late yesterday afternoon to go over a few details for the bridal shower next weekend. The bridal shower conversation rolled into “what are you plans this weekend?” which eventually became “you guys should totally come to Tampa.” It didn’t take much convincing after that, at 9:00am this morning they were on their way.

IMG_2018.JPG

Scooby came too. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_2015.JPG

I received a free Starbucks rewards drink coupon in the mail last week and had been saving it as a post-20 mile run treat. I always feel the need to go big or go home with the free coupons and there’s no better time to go big than after running 20 miles, right? One Venti Mocha Light Frappuchino with two shots of espresso please. ๐Ÿ˜‰

IMG_2013.JPG

Ammmmaazzzinnnggg. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had a lot of time to think on my run this morning and one of the big things on my mind was what to do with my parents when they got to Tampa. Tarpon Springs? Busch Gardens? The beach? Then I remembered that Honeymoon Island has a pet beach we could bring the dogs to. Sold! At my next water stop I sent my parents a text telling them to bring swimsuits, we were going to the beach!

IMG_2019.JPG

The pet beach was packed this afternoon. A few dozen or so dogs played in the waves, while their owners soaked up the sun. It was every pet lover’s paradise.

IMG_2029.JPG

Of course, Scooby and Maddie headed straight to the water. They LOVE the beach and had a blast chasing eachmother in the sand and water.

IMG_2024.JPG

No beach trip is complete without Publix subs. I’m pretty sure it’s a beach trip requirement to stop at Publix for subs.

IMG_2020.JPG

Derek and I split a full roast beef and havarti cheese sub on wheat. It had been a while since I ordered roast beef on the sub and I forgot how good it is. Definitely a nice little treat.

IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2023.JPG

After we ate, we attempted to wear the dogs out by taking them on a walk of the island. I love Honeymoon Island because of how natural and undeveloped it is. The beach is gorgeous and worth exploring.

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

My little beach dog.

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2030.JPG

Another excuse for our beach trip? To test out my new VS swimsuit!

IMG_2036.jpg

BIG fan of the Madi Push-Up Bandeau Top that I ordered. Instead of the standard S, M, L, it’s sized by bra cup and fits like a glove because of that. It was as supportive as a strapless bra and I never had to worry about adjusting it because the sucker never moved – it stayed right where it was supposed to be all day. Good top. I never went in the water, so I can’t say anything about whether it’s see through or not (I had brought an extra swimsuit just in case even though I did a ‘splash test’ at home) and the bottoms were wonderful, but I have the same exact bottoms in green and blue, so I figured as much.

The suit gets two thumbs up. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had an orange after the beach

IMG_2050.JPG

And decided to try a new-to-me restaurant I found on Yelp called The Front Porch. It had rave reviews online – and I’ll admit my food was good – but we weren’t impressed with the overall feel of the place. The menu wasn’t anything special or memorable , the atmosphere was lacking, the service was slow, and the food was good, but nothing worth returning for. You failed me, Yelp. :/

I started with a Bison Chocolate Stout (good, good beer)

IMG_2052.jpg

There was a lot of hype on Yelp about the cornbread drizzled with honey butter that comes with every meal. This was actually one of the things that won me over on wanting to try this restaurant – I LOVE me some good cornbread.

IMG_2054.JPG

Eh. It was ok. Tasted like a box mix if I’m being honest. It was a let down after all the build up.

IMG_2056.JPG

They were out of my first choice for the dinner (the apple sage stuffed chicken special) so I ordered the chicken and goat cheese dish with mashed sweet potatoes and vegetables.

IMG_2058.JPG

I think I won for best meal. It was flavorful, tasty, and I really enjoyed it, but no one else seemed to be giving off the same vibe. Either that or the lack of service put a damper on our meal (we were all almost done with our plates by the time my mom got the tarter sauce she had requested 10 minutes prior and didn’t want to touch her fish sandwich until it arrived since it was served dry.)

In the end, I’m glad I got to try The Front Porch, but I’m not sure I’ll be returning. If I do, at least I know to stick with the goat cheese and chicken.

On our way home we stopped for ice cream.

IMG_2063.JPG

A small vanilla cone dipped in butterscotch – da best.

IMG_2066.JPG

Cheers!

IMG_2068.JPG IMG_2071.JPG

Today was a good day – 20 mile run, a visit from the parents, beach, and ice cream. Doesn’t get much better than that.

Good Night!

1 Sana April 14, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I could never wear anything strapless, I would feet super saggy. I need all the support I can get!
Sana recently posted..Things I Want To Say

2 Liz April 14, 2012 at 11:59 pm

The swimsuit looks really cute on you! I can’t wear strapless myself, but I like the look. I also like the look of the butterscotch dipped cone – I LOVE butterscotch. When I was a kid, a butterscotch Dilly Bar was my favorite thing to get from Dairy Queen ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Carrie April 15, 2012 at 1:16 am

Sounds like an awesome day to me!
Carrie recently posted..My First Recovery Run

4 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 15, 2012 at 3:28 am

That’s so awesome that you have a pet friendly beach! Our beaches only allow dogs on the beach before 8 a.m. and after 8 p.m. during the summer.

Cute suit! I love VS suits but they tend to be too va-va-voom for me. Not good when I’m chasing 2 toddlers at the pool or beach! Those suits are reserved for lounging sans kids! ๐Ÿ™‚
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..2012 Boston Marathon – Who’s Running?

5 Allison April 15, 2012 at 5:20 am

So fun!
Allison recently posted..Friday Confessions

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 15, 2012 at 7:08 am

Awesome day!! Sorry about your disappointing dinner service, though. That’s always a bummer.
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The perfect springtime dessert.

7 Part Time House Wife April 15, 2012 at 7:20 am

I’m super jealous of your ability to go to the beach at any time and have it be a beautiful day! And then, to be able to bring your 4 legged friends with ya!? Even better! Looks like you had an awesome family day, the very best kind
Part Time House Wife recently posted..“Crack Dip” A.K.A Buffalo Chicken Dip

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 15, 2012 at 7:36 am

I’m glad you got to use the white suit – hope you wore sunscreen! Haha I have to be an advocate since I’m only 24 and have had some moles that we got to before they became cancer. And I have never had dipped ice cream before, but it certainly doesn’t look like something I would turn down! I’ll have to try it if I see it!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Best Body Check Up

9 megan April 15, 2012 at 8:09 am

Meghann, have you ever been to Peg’s Cantina in Gulfport? My family recently vacationed in Indian Shores and Peg’s was our best discovery! Amazing food and house-brewed beer!

10 Bria April 15, 2012 at 8:21 am

Love the bikini! Sounds like an awesome day. And good job on the 20 miles in 3 hours – speedy gonzales!!!
Bria recently posted..Busting the โ€œHealthy Eating is Expensiveโ€ Food Myth, Week 2 Recap

11 Sarah April 15, 2012 at 8:30 am

I just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog! It is so much fun to read especially being a fellow runner who loves food and adventure just as much! ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope to see you sometime at the Detroit Free Press Marathon. Judging from your posts, I think you’d really enjoy it! ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 15, 2012 at 9:29 am

On my last visit my husband and I took our corgi to that beach. She was not a fan of the water but loved wiggling around in the warm sand. ๐Ÿ™‚
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Saturday Mish Mosh

13 allpointswhole April 15, 2012 at 9:32 am

how fun!

14 Emily @LivingLongfellow April 15, 2012 at 10:25 am

the beach looks amazing! it’s been soooo long since I’ve seen the ocean.
Emily @LivingLongfellow recently posted..Trail 26.2 Thoughts

15 Alicia at Poise in Parma April 15, 2012 at 11:12 am

That does sound like the perfect day! I can’t wait for it to warm up here. My dog loves the water as well – but most do once given the chance to explore it in their own time!
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..CLE food: birthday cakes & surprise treats at Michael Angeloโ€™s Bakery

16 Aleyta April 15, 2012 at 11:32 am

I swear, every time you post about your parents I love them more! They seem so laid back and just all around awesome!
Aleyta recently posted..A good day.

17 Courtney @ Adventures in Normanland April 15, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I grew up around there! Loooove Honeymoon Island!
Courtney @ Adventures in Normanland recently posted..InstaFriday!

18 Serena April 15, 2012 at 6:06 pm

You look exactly like your mom!

19 Allison April 16, 2012 at 9:17 am

I was just thinking about taking Rooney to Honeymoon Island. Can they be off their leashes? For some reason I was thinking they had to stay on a leash.

20 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 9:27 am

They do, but it was pretty loose. I noticed that many of the dogs weren’t on leashes when they were chasing balls or in the water, but many of them had leashes while on the sand. We kept the leashes on Maddie and Scooby and just let them drag in the sand when we were laying down. When we walked them along the beach we held the leash.

21 Emily N April 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm

The shower for your sis is next weekend? Same with the shower for MY sis! Although I scrambled as MOH to get this one planned since she has only been engaged for a month and is getting married in 68 days. eeeiii!
Emily N recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 15 in Review

22 Meghann April 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm

eek! Good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Kristen April 16, 2012 at 2:52 pm

My roommate and I took her dog to the beach this weekend too! Ocean beach in SF was def a lot less warm and sunny and a lot more windy and cold buuuuut the dogs didn’t seem to mind. Watching Dog (yes his name is Dog the dog…I love it) go nuts playing in the surf was an awesome way to spend the afternoon.
Kristen recently posted..Weekend Recap

24 Katie April 17, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Love Honeymoon Island’s pet beach! How funny that you went there last weekend – my husband and I usually go there every weekend with our pup but we didn’t make it there like we usually do last weekend! That’s actually where we first met a few years ago…walking our dogs on the beach…
Katie recently posted..Sweet Tooth: Bernโ€™s Harry Waugh Dessert Room

25 Meghann April 17, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I want to go back soon! Maddie loved it! Maybe we can plan a weekend to meet up on the beach.

26 Katie April 17, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Definitely! We usually tend to head there on Saturday mornings now that beach season is in swing! We live only about 5 miles away…so it’s certainly a routine place for us to visit ๐Ÿ™‚
Katie recently posted..Sweet Tooth: Bernโ€™s Harry Waugh Dessert Room