more ยป" />

Playing Dress Up

by Meghann on April 12, 2012

Good Morning!

I feel like I’m playing dress up this week.

IMG_1929.jpg

When I started working for myself last year, yoga pants and comfy tank tops became my ‘office’ norm. Much of my more traditional business attire was shoved to the back of my closet and hasn’t been touched since. When I was packing for my trip, I had to dust a few pieces off. It was actually pretty fun discovering this whole extension of my wardrobe I had essentially forgotten about. Sometimes I miss dressing up for an office everyday (actually, I think I miss seeing the people more). Even though my office was pretty casual (it was a software development company, so baseball caps, jeans, and t-shirts were considered acceptable in the very loose ‘dress code’), I still made a point to look my best.

If you’re interested… I have a page dedicated to a few of my favorite office themed posts. Check it out HERE.

We had another early call time this morning (7:15am), which meant I had another early morning in the onsite fitness center. Up at 5:10, treadmill by 5:30, back in my room by 6:30, and showered and dressed by 7:00. Done.

Treadmill:

• 5 min Warm-up
  • 8 x 400 @ 8.0 w/ 1 min rests @ 6.0
  • 3 min Cool Down

Total: 3.5 miles, 30 minutes

Plus bonus ab work with the stability ball.

Today’s breakfast set-up included mini bagels, hand fruit, and assorted cream cheeses, jams and peanut butter.

IMG_1922.JPG

I selected the peanut butter cream cheese, but it didn’t taste very peanut buttery to me. The everything bagel was good though.

IMG_1924.JPG

My first plate didn’t fill me up at all, so I went back for an orange with peanut butter.

IMG_1926.JPG

Much better. :)

IMG_1928.JPG

We have a full agenda ahead of us today.

IMG_1921.JPG

Non-stop sessions until 6:00pm, then I’m on my way back to Tampa. :)

What’s the attire norm at your office? (and I use the term ‘office’ very loosely here) Formal business attire? Casual business attire? Super casual?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life April 12, 2012 at 9:54 am

Our office is Business ; suits for men (and ties!) and equivalent for ladies. Friday is Business Casual.

2 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food April 12, 2012 at 10:06 am

Our office is business casual (khakis or dress pants) and then we have “Jeans Day” on Fridays! I get ready so much faster Fridays!!

3 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed April 12, 2012 at 10:07 am

you look great!!!

4 Elisabeth April 12, 2012 at 10:08 am

I am a hospital laboratory scientist so we all wear scrubs – love it! It’s almost like wearing PJs to work ;)

5 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 12, 2012 at 10:12 am

My work is casual so we are allowed to wear jeans everyday :)

6 Aimee M April 12, 2012 at 10:15 am

My office is formal, full suits & heels every day! I live for jeans and flats on the weekends.

7 Sarah @BlondeBostonian April 12, 2012 at 10:16 am

My office is business casual. But since we’re a pretty technology focused company, there’s a lot of jean-wearing every day of the week.

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 12, 2012 at 10:22 am

An orange with peanut butter??? Now that’s a new one! I’ve had plenty of apples with peanut butter, but never an orange! Very interesting! :)

9 Sneakers2Sandals April 12, 2012 at 11:44 am

I agree! I’ve never seen that before but then again, who am I to say the PB doesn’t go with everything…

10 Daphne @ Candy Coated Runner April 12, 2012 at 10:26 am

my office is definitely business casual, but sometimes people push try to push it to more casual, haha! Peanut butter and an orange? Interesting combo, I’ll have to try it someday!

11 Cait's Plate April 12, 2012 at 10:31 am

I actually just left my job as well to go back to school so I’m with you on the yoga pants!

When I worked at InStyle Magazine we had a very strict dress code (no jeans, ever.).

Health Magazine was much more laid back (we were technically business casual but jeans were allowed) and FOOD & WINE Magazine was much more like that as well. I think it’s important to be comfortable in your clothes!

12 christine @ BookishlyB April 12, 2012 at 10:35 am

I’m a public school teacher- they aren’t really “allowed” to give us a true dress code, so anything technically goes, as long as everything’s covered. Personally, I do a lot of slacks, dresses and skirts Mon-Thurs, and then jeans on Friday.

13 Faith @ For the Health of It April 12, 2012 at 10:39 am

An orange with peanut butter? Okay, that’s a really eeeenteresting combination.

14 Jordan@almondjay April 12, 2012 at 10:59 am

California working attire is fairly laid back. There are days where I do show up in yoga pants so I totally understand that feeling of playing dress up on the occasional important day.

15 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete April 12, 2012 at 11:08 am

Haha. Your “dressing up” is casual day for me. Suits all the way over here for me!

16 Lindsey April 12, 2012 at 11:09 am

Most days it is business casual, unless I have a event or something where I try and dress up a tad more – maybe a dress or blazer. Friday’s we can wear jeans but still I wear a dressy top and heels or boots.

17 Carrie April 12, 2012 at 11:10 am

Hmmm, I’ve never had orange and pb together…I’m intrigued!

18 Megan @ Megan's Munchies April 12, 2012 at 11:20 am

I am self employed so really I could wear jeans every day, but I like to go business/dress casual

19 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 12, 2012 at 11:27 am

Right now I’m in law school, so I usually try and look nicer (jeans and a cute top) but on days like today when I just have one class and I’m working out after, I wear sweats and t-shirt!

20 Lena @Fit on the Rocks April 12, 2012 at 11:33 am

My office “dress code” is pretty loose. It’s technically business casual, but everyone wears jeans and tees. There are the random moments when I’ve seen girls in club dresses with hooker heels…those days are interesting.

21 Hillary April 12, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I’m a teacher, but my school has a pretty relaxed dress code. Sometimes I do skirts/dresses, but it’s totally acceptable to wear jeans and sweaters too, which is nice!

22 Lisa April 12, 2012 at 12:04 pm

We’re business casual with jeans on Friday but since I’m not client-facing, I try to get away with wearing jellies instead of heels whenever I can. I LOVE them!

23 j3nn April 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Working at home means the luxury of wearing whatever I want, even my PJs. It’s fantastic! But probably a bad habit. :)

24 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 12, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I work in healthcare so it’s scrubs for me. I sometimes wish I could dress up but then I think about how much $ I would have to spend. When I’m not working, I live in workout clothes, jeans, or skirts/shorts depending on the season. My wardrobe has never looked worse! :)

25 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 12, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Peanut butter cream cheese sounds amazing! I’m sorry it didn’t taste very peanut buttery. I wonder if I can make this at home ;)

My office is pretty causal, its a research & policy institute with lots of student workers so jeans are a-ok.

26 Amanda April 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm

An orange AND peanut butter??? I have to say that I have never heard of this combination. While it doesn’t sound appealing to me, I salute you for supplying me with something new to ponder about today as my mind seems slippery from staying on any one topic for more than half a second.

27 Kas April 12, 2012 at 2:35 pm

My job’s pretty business casual which is nice. If a client comes in though (we know ahead of time) we might dress up a bit more. Is that a star tattoo I spy on your foot in the picture? Love!

28 Meghann April 12, 2012 at 8:54 pm

It’s a snowflake tattoo :)

29 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 12, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Orange and PB….what a curious combination. I will have to try that out!
My current job is super casual which means jeans and flats everyday. I can’t complain, but I sometimes miss the “fancier” clothing in my closet too!

30 Emily N April 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm

The president of our company told me on my first day working here “just don’t offend anyone.” I have done my best not to, although my occasional university of cincinnati wear might offend a xavier fan, but i am offended by their xavier gear! ;-)

31 Allie April 12, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I work for a production company, so we’re super casual. Jeans and flats everyday. I do avoid tee-shirts with anything written on them, but even solid color v-neck tees are fine. I thought I’d miss having “dress up” clothes, but I really don’t.

32 Corey @ Learning Patience April 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Before I quit my job our office was all jeans and cowboy boots – I loved it!

xoxo from Trinidad

33 Corey @ Learning Patience April 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Before I quit my job our office was all jeans and cowboy boots – I loved it!

xoxo from Trinidad

34 Jessica Krogman April 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I use to work for an attorney and had to wear a business suit or slacks and a nice shirt and heels/dress shoes. I quit my job one day and started working dogs and now go to work in running gear. Love it!

35 Sam April 12, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I am a nurse so I get to wear scrubs to work! Some are actually pretty cute, but they can get expensive as well! It always feels good when I have a few days off and can wear “normal” clothes like Jeans, heels, and a nice top.

36 Shannon April 12, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I’m kind of in the same boat when it comes to playing dress up! I am in school now so leggings and t-shirts are the norm, but soon I will be working full time during my pharmacy rotations year (and then full time pharmacist job after that) so I’m enjoying buying some professional outfits to wear.