I Have Many Titles

by Meghann on April 11, 2012

The event coordinator role comes with many titles:

• Hotel Negotiator
  • Meal Planner
  • Sponsor Liaison
  • Registration Desk Worker

And….

• Babysitter

IMG_1906.JPG

Isn’t he cute?

Our video crew is made up of a husband and wife team who traveled to the event with their adorable 7-month old son. They needed some peace and quiet while conducting interviews, so I offered to watch the little guy for an hour. He was such an angel, it was seriously my pleasure to watch him. :)

While watching Iggy, I had one of our speakers ask me how old he was. I gave him a blank stare and told him I wasn’t sure. He laughed and told me he must not be mine then. True enough. I think at my age, when ever you’re seen holding a baby, they automatically assume he’s yours. I had quite a few other attendees ask if he was mine. Nope, not yet. Maybe in the next couple of years though. ;)

The morning conference events moved fairly smoothly. I stayed at the registration table and had some pretzels that were still stowed in my bag from the Disney Princess Half Marathon goodie bag from a month ago.

We had a plated lunch service today, but Deb and I opted to stay out in the hallway to watch Iggy. The staff was kind enough to deliver our lunches to our table. The food was actually really good – way to go Marriott!

We started with creamy tomato soup.

IMG_1900.JPG

And were served turkey, bacon, and avocado sandwiches with house chips and potato salad.

IMG_1901.JPG

The sandwiches were best when dipped in the tomato soup. ;)

Key lime pie was served for dessert.

IMG_1907.JPG

You can’t go wrong with key lime pie. ;)

Instead of a hot coffee service for our afternoon break, we served Starbucks Frappuccinos and bottled smoothies.

IMG_1913.JPG

Can you believe this option was cheaper than the hot coffee service? And people loved it! The drinks went fast.

IMG_1911.JPG

I grabbed a vanilla Frappuccino, but I’m not really a fan of the bottle frappuccinos. They taste like chocolate milk and I don’t like chocolate milk. Meh. Should have gone the smoothie route. ;)

What’s the best snack break you’ve ever had a conference? We served chocolate dipped (giant) pretzels at a conference I worked in New Orleans a couple of years ago that were pretty amazing. ;)

1 Lindsey April 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm

That is a great idea! I always find for afternoon meetings having healthier granola bars helps people with that afternoon slump and they love them.
Lindsey recently posted..Young(er) Lindsey

2 Kristen April 11, 2012 at 4:05 pm

So far my favourite conference snack has been popcorn. It was one of the afternoon break snacks at a conference I went to a few years ago and it was a nice change from pastries and cookies.
Kristen recently posted..don’t get me started

3 Lena @Fit on the Rocks April 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I interned for a pharmaceutical company for 2 years in undergrad, and their training facilities were amazing. The entire hallway was a 24 hour snack break with everything you could ever want. Needless to say, lots of people gained weight hahaha.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..To Chicago and Back

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm

the child’s name is Iggy!?!? Poor thing, haha cute now but I wonder how that will go over once he gets to school! And that used to happen to me all the time when I’d be with my youngest cousin, although I was so embarassed because I was still in high school!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Rocking Out the Long Day

5 Meghann April 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm

It’s a nickname. I think it’s cute.

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 11, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Oh, no, I figured it was a nickname, I didn’t mean to insult! I think it’s adorable now, I just hope he has an outgoing personality to match it when he gets to school. I know if that had been my nickname, I was so shy I would have been teased to death! That’s all I meant by it!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Rocking Out the Long Day

7 Cait's Plate April 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I don’t know about at a conference but my favorite is pretzels with nutella and peanut butter. Also? I LIVED off those chip n dale pretzels when I was in Disney a couple summers ago :)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..More Exciting

8 Silvia @ skinny jeans food April 11, 2012 at 5:12 pm

haha, you should just have snagged the little one. He already looks like Derek, and a lot less work this way ;-)
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..The vegetable patch

9 Angela April 11, 2012 at 5:18 pm

That’s such a good hot drinks alternative. At a lot of conferences I’ve been to if you don’t want tea or coffee you are stuck with water the whole time.

Can’t think of anything that stands out as the best snack but the worst was a buffet style lunch where nothing was labelled. As the only meat eater in my group I had to try all the little finger foods to figure out which ones everyone else could eat.

10 Hillary April 11, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Chocolate dipped soft pretzels?
Um. Yes. I suddenly feel the need for an afternoon snack.
Hillary recently posted..Be Kind.

11 heather April 11, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I love the idea if the frapp/smoothie break! Can’t believe it costs was than coffee- crazy!

12 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 11, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Wow, that’s some fancy-looking key lime pie!! ;) Best snack at a conference … probably warm chocolate chip cookies. Yum!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I love food.

13 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 11, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Ive always been stuck with boring conference snacks. Im usually just happy to find something healthy rather than the usual cookies/doughnuts and such!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Late to the (Garmin) Party

14 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 11, 2012 at 6:54 pm

What a cute kid!!! I can’t believe frappacinos were cheaper than hot service… go figure.
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW {04-10-2012}

15 Erika@YouJustDidWhat April 11, 2012 at 7:22 pm

What a cute little baby!!
And boy does that key lime look delish!!
Erika@YouJustDidWhat recently posted..Comment on sleep, or lack thereof. typos galore, I’m sure by Erika@YouJustDidWhat

16 Carrie April 11, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Wow, hard to believe that those smoothies and fraps would be less expensive than hot coffee! Way more refreshing, too.
Carrie recently posted..Getting over Fear

17 Kathy April 11, 2012 at 8:46 pm

ohh..I love the cold frap. drinks..yummy!
Kathy recently posted..Waa, Waa, Waa….

18 Courtney April 11, 2012 at 9:22 pm

How fun! I babysit a lot and this one baby I watch looks like he could be mine, so people always give me rude stares when I bring him places! Sigh…
Courtney recently posted..Gym Class

19 Emily N April 12, 2012 at 8:02 am

I gotta be honest, I am SHOCKED that was less expensive than hot coffee service. I never buy those things because they are so expensive!
Emily N recently posted..Back to Running, after the Strength PUSH

20 Angela April 12, 2012 at 8:39 am

mmmm that sandwhich looks delicious!!

Its a great idea to fule people during a conference with something healthy, I agree though that the bottled frapachinos, YUCK!
Angela recently posted..Late Easter recap

21 Xiomara @ parkesdale April 12, 2012 at 10:34 am

That key lime pie looks delish! I want some now!
Xiomara @ parkesdale recently posted..Strawberry Shortcake…everyone’s favorite dessert

22 Heather April 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Mmmm key lime pie!

The best conference snack I ever had was a sampler plate of three different tiny chocolate desserts with white chocolate, dark chocolate and milk chocolate. So good!
Heather recently posted..Banana Date Muffins