Cool Tool

by Meghann on April 9, 2012

I told my contact Lindsay at Whole Foods that she’s turning into my fruit dealer.

IMG_1840.jpg

Last month it was a case of mangos and this month it’s a set of pineapples.

One was used in yesterday’s fruit salad (which was delicious by the way) and I wanted to have a fun with the other one for dinner tonight.

IMG_1843.jpg

From Lindsay:

“Hailing from Costa Rica, Whole Trade pineapples are delectable, sweet and juicy. They’re grown on farms that keep the health of the planet high on their priority lists. Our Whole Trade Guarantee ensures that you enjoy the best-quality tropical treat, delivered at peak ripeness.”

Lindsay also sent this video on how to properly cut the shell and the core out of the pineapple, but I had different plans.

Enter my pineapple cutter.

IMG_1846.jpg

Just like my strawberry slicer, the pineapple cutter was a cool had-to-have purchase a couple of years ago, but now resides at the bottom of my junk drawer. I’ll admit that it is a really cool tool, it’s just not a tool I use more than once or twice a year. Perhaps I should start buying more whole pineapples?

The pineapple cutter is super easy to use. You just cut the top off of the pineapple, place the round center part of the cutter on top of the core, and use the handle to start turning the cutter in a clockwise motion so that it cuts the pineapple at an angle.

When you’ve hit the bottom, you simply pull the cutter straight out of the shell and end up with perfect pineapple spirals.

The slices are actually a little thinner than I prefer for pineapple, but for how effortless it was to cut, I can live with that. ;)

Now what to do with this pineapple?

I had some leftover easter ham that I wanted to make for dinner and knew that pineapple and ham usually go hand-in-hand with each other. I thought about doing a ham and pineapple fried rice, but decided to switch out the rice with sweet potato instead.

The end result was something of a skillet sweet potato, ham, and pineapple mix that was really, really tasty. I think ham is like bacon – it just makes everything better.

IMG_1908.JPG

Skillet Sweet Potato, Ham, and Pineapple

• 1/2 pineapple
  • 1/3 lb leftover ham
  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
  • salt and pepper

Cut the sweet potato and pineapple in bite sized chunks. Add the sweet potatoes to a hot skillet with oil and cook until tender. Add the mushrooms, ham, and pineapple in the last five minutes of cooking. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

IMG_1901.JPG

I couldn’t wait for Derek to get home to try it. He finished off all of the leftovers I had set aside and gave the meal two thumbs up. ;)

Of course, I had to have some green on the side.

IMG_1903.JPG

And a biscuit.

IMG_1905.JPG

A slice of birthday blueberry pie found its way in my stomach for dessert.

IMG_1916.JPG

And earlier in the day I had some mixed nuts with dried fruit as an afternoon snack.

Mad Men

I can’t believe it has taken me this long to discover this show! I’m almost done with the first season on Netflix and just can’t stop watching. It’s so good! As soon as I hit publish, I’ll be heading to bed to watch just one more episode before I fall asleep. And that Don Draper? He’s not bad to look at either. ;)

Derek has been watching Breaking Bad via Netflix, but I just can’t seem to get into it. I think it’s too graphic and in-your-face for my taste. eh. Mad Men is much more my style.

Any Mad Men or Breaking Bad fans out there? If not, you should really check them. Or just check Mad Men out – that’s my pick of the two. ;)

1 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy April 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm

It took me three months to finish all four seasons of Mad Men. But well worth it so I can watch the new season live :)
I’m in advertising so of course I love it!

2 Carrie April 9, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I got addicted to both Mad Men and Breaking Bad this year. I can’t wait for the new season of Breaking Bad to start!!

3 Colleen @ Culinary Colleen April 9, 2012 at 10:42 pm

That pineapple cutter is so cool! I’m always way too lazy to buy a whole pineapple and cut it up.

Also, I love Mad Men! It took me a little while to get into it when I started the first season last year, but once I did I was hooked.

4 JessicaE April 9, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I love Mad Men… and I LOVE Breaking Bad… the acting, the writing… its truly one of the most flawless shows i have ever seen.

5 Allison April 9, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I just can’t get into Mad Men. I really wanted to like it, but I didn’t!. I think Don is kind of nasty–sleeping with all those women–I think its kind of sick.
I know its just a show, but I can’t get on board with it.

6 Sana April 9, 2012 at 10:45 pm

woaaahhhh. that is all

7 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 9, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Oh my gosh, that pineapple corer is amazing! I want one! Also, I started watching Mad Men this winter and plowed my way through the first four seasons in several weeks. I love it.

8 Katie April 9, 2012 at 11:03 pm

After you posted a few days ago that you were watching Mad Men, I decided to finally check it out, and I have to say THANK YOU! I’m loving it.

9 Faith @ For the Health of It April 9, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I definitely need one of those pineapple tools – I love the fruit fresh (it’s kind of gross from the can), but I’m terrible at cutting them and usually end up paying 2-3x as much for the pre-sliced fresh versions. Time to pony up for the gadget!

10 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm

That pineapple cutter is amazing! Looks like it saves so much time and mess :) I would definitely eat more pineapple if I had one of those, I never buy them because I don’t want to deal with cutting them up!

11 Christine @ BookishlyB April 9, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I like them both!

12 Kathryn April 9, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Mad Men will suck you in. I started the series last week and I’m now on Season 4. It’s all Don Draper’s fault.

13 Melissa @TryingtoHeal April 9, 2012 at 11:53 pm

I’ve been watching Mad Men and I don’t know how I feel about it. I hate the way they treat the women! although I guess it’s no better than the show game of thrones that I just started watching…now that, is crazy!

14 Jen (Whittle My Middle) April 10, 2012 at 12:03 am

I love that pineapple tool! I have one and swear by it.

Mad Men is so addicting. I haven’t seen Breaking Bad yet but I’m tempted now.

15 Selene Thompson April 10, 2012 at 12:14 am

What is the name of that pineapple corer? I have to get one. Thx

16 Marisa E April 10, 2012 at 9:49 am
17 Meghann April 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Ha! And that’s what I get for replying to comments in my email – it doesn’t allow me to see if anyone else has replied to them or not. Just posted the same reply. ;)

18 Meghann April 10, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I found it on Amazon http://amzn.to/IqvuY0 :)

19 Jen @nutcaseinpoint April 10, 2012 at 12:35 am

Ack! I started Mad Men Season 1 last week and got through it already! I just started season 2 today! Like you, I can’t believe I let 4 seasons go by before jumping on the bandwagon! Wow, too many exclamation points lol :)

20 Elisabeth April 10, 2012 at 4:42 am

Love Mad Men! Target had the first 4 seasons for $9.99 if anyone’s looking to buy them :D

21 Cait's Plate April 10, 2012 at 6:51 am

That pineapple tool is awesome!! That saves hours of chopping and dicing!

Mad Men is AMAZING! I only just caught up on it last year but it’s so SO addicting!

22 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats April 10, 2012 at 7:13 am

That dinner looks delicious!! And I tried watching Mad Men, got through about 3 episodes, I just thought it was kind of degrading to all the female characters so i got tired of it! My friend is obsessed though and keeps telling me to give it more of a chance!

23 Rachel April 10, 2012 at 7:41 am

Are you going to share that blueberry pie recipe? Please!!

24 Meghann April 10, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I’m working on getting it :)

25 Sara @my less serious life April 10, 2012 at 7:56 am

mad men is the best! helllloo donald draper!

26 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

That pineapple cutter is amazing! I’ve never seen that before. I definitely need to get one of those. I’m always buying pineapples to eat in the summer. I love it :)

I want to get into Mad Men so bad. I haven’t see any of the seasons so I need to catch up!

27 Hillary April 10, 2012 at 8:12 am

My boyfriend and I watched all four seasons of Mad Men on Netflix this summer, and I am now officially obsessed. It’s one of my top three favorite shows of all time!

And here’s a weird tidbit: I am so attracted to Jon Hamm as Don Draper that it’s borderline embarrassing, but I’m not really all that attracted to Jon Hamm outside of that role. Strange, right? Something about those suits ; )

28 Meghann April 10, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I agree on this though. I think Jon Hamm is kinda goofy in person, I much prefer the sexier, confident Don Draper :)

29 Emily N April 10, 2012 at 8:32 am

HUGE Mad Men fan right here! I started watching it right before the second season because I stumbled upon it when my mom was visiting me and we were just hanging out at my apartment drinking wine. We watched like 4-5 episodes of the first season that day, and I have been watching ever since!

30 Lisa April 10, 2012 at 8:38 am

I LOVE Mad Men and watched all the seasons last summer in about a week and a half. LOVE. And I know that Don is kind of a misogynistic ass, but damn if he doesn’t keep me coming back for more (it helps that Jon Hamm is kind of amazing in real life).

31 Nikki April 10, 2012 at 8:39 am

I ADORE Mad Men!!! You need to hurry up and keep watching so you’re caught up to the current ones! They are nuts!

32 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups April 10, 2012 at 8:53 am

I just started Season 2 of Mad Men on Instant View! I’m actually finding it to be a little slow. I love the dialogue, but the plot is doing nothing for me so far. I heard it picks up a little, so I’m just trying to stay tuned. I do love John Hamm!

33 Sarah April 10, 2012 at 9:34 am

Mad Men is soo addicting!! I just discovered this show too and am half way through season 2!

34 Lindsay April 10, 2012 at 10:22 am

I used that pineapple tool once and it was a disaster. It squeezed all the juice out of the pineapple and wasted a bunch of the pineapple on the edges. I just cut up a pineapple the other day and it took me about 5 minutes to get through the whole thing. I guess if you can make the tool work, it’s worth it for the pretty rings?

35 Beka April 10, 2012 at 11:21 am

I love pineapple, but I hate cutting it. I must find one of those tools asap!

I have watched Breaking Bad some, but haven’t gotten into Mad Men yet. I feel like I’m behind the times since I’ve never seen one episode!

36 Niki April 10, 2012 at 11:41 am

I need to find a pineapple slicer! How cool!

37 Chris April 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I love me some Mad Men! So happy it is back on!! I watched the first few seasons on DVD, but since around S3 I have had to wait til it was on live. I understand what PP’s are saying about it seeming misogynistic to women, but they should give it a chance. There are some powerful female characters! And it is so cool to see them move through the turbulent 1960s. Change is a coming!

38 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane April 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Great idea with the sweet potato! I think it’d be fun to own a pineapple slicer but it would probably sit at the bottom of my drawer for far too long as well.

39 crystal April 10, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Have you grilled pineapple? It’s delicious, especially on top of a terriyaki burger.

40 Alex April 10, 2012 at 5:42 pm

We watch Mad Men AND Breaking Bad in our household. My husband enjoys BB much more than I do. We are on the current season of Mad Men and it is AMAZING! You’ve GOT to catch up!

41 Bianca April 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Love Mad Men, love Breaking Bad. In fact, my puppy’s name is Walter White.

42 Dusty @ Running to Healthy April 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I love that pineapple tool. I need one.

43 Sarah April 10, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I tried getting into Breaking Bad because almost all of my friends really like it. Something about it just wasn’t for me. One person said that it was because the main character is just not likeable and I need that. I dunno. Just not a fan. Mad Men, however, is SUPER AWESOME! You’re gonna love it if you are into season 1… although 3 is a little slow, but power through! Totally worth it!

44 Jessica April 10, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I love grilled pineapple!

45 BroccoliHut April 11, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I think that must be the one kitchen gadget I don’t own already. Perhaps I should add it to the wedding registry?