Wedding: 9 Months To Go!

by Meghann on April 5, 2012

The countdown is on! We have exactly 9 (edited to add: I originally had 8. Not sure where my mind went!) months to go before the big day and I thought it would be fun to start monthly check-ins to see where we’re at in the wedding planning process.

So far we have:

Not bad for 9 months out. πŸ™‚

However, we still need (thinking long term here):

• DJ
  • Videographer (Originally wasn’t going to have one, but if I can find one for a decent price, I’d LOVE to book one!)
  • Chair rentals (for ceremony)
  • DIY my mom’s veil
  • Bridesmaid dresses/ cowgirl boots <– yes, I’m going there πŸ˜‰
  • Bridesmaid gifts
  • Flower girl dress
  • Something for the flower girl to carry (ideas?)
  • Tuxes (suits?) for groom/ groomsmen
  • Groomsmen gifts
  • Gifts for parents
  • Wedding bands
  • Ceremony script
  • Day-of timelines
  • Center pieces
  • Flowers
  • Decorations
  • hair/ make-up
  • Location for rehearsal dinner
  • Invitations
  • Programs? (thinking of going the chalkboard route)
  • Creative seating chart
  • Guestbook
  • Cake (I know my grandmother and uncle are making it, but I haven’t confirmed details)
  • Dessert bar (double as favors)
  • Alcohol (caterer is supplying the bartender)
  • Navy shoes (very important!)
  • Marriage license (again, thinking long term here)
  • To book the honeymoon
  • Find someone to do alterations on bridal gown
  • Reserve shuttle service between hotel and wedding site
  • …and ????? I’m sure I’m leaving a few things off here

It’s strange. I feel like I have crossed all of this stuff off the list, but then I look at all we still have left to do and I start to panic a little. The good news is we still have NINE MONTHS to get it all done so I’m not too worried right now. I’m still in the fun stage of planning where there isn’t much pressure and I feel like I have all the time in the world to get things done (famous last words… right?).

What month did the panic start to hit for you? Or did it never come?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life April 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm

You’re doing great, Meghann! We were only engaged for 8 months so I’d say you’re doing fantastically!!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Running: On Screen!

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm

My sister-in-law’s freakouts started about 2 months out, but she was planning a wedding in Kansas City while living in Chicago and interviewing for new jobs. But she did a lot ahead of time which helped.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

3 Aditi April 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

This list is amazing! My wedding is two months away and this list has really helped me figure out what still need to be done!

4 Elle April 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I enjoyed planning my wedding up until about the last six weeks. Then I was tired of dealing with all the questions (“How do you want me to wear my hair?” “It doesn’t matter to me–however you like it!” “Well, you just let me know”. Dammit) and last minute stress. I just wanted the day to be here. I was ready to have all my best friends in one place and celebrating all day with my new husband.

For sure get a videographer if you can find an affordable one. The day flies by (and no one made sure I ate at the reception–but I always had a full wine glass!), you forget some of the details. I love our video.

I made our programs and pomanders for my flower girls. I recapped it on my blog (http://bbqpeach.blogspot.com/2011/08/wedding-thursday-flowers-details-diy.html). I started blogging post-wedding. I wish I’d kept a record of the planning process!
Elle recently posted..What I’m Loving Wednesday

5 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm

You are doing great for being out 8 months! We are just about 4 months away and I have the majority of the big things done. I have some detail type things to handle. I just want everything to be perfect. I’m more than ready to marry my fiance. I can’t wait πŸ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Walk The Plank!…

6 Chelsea April 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Aren’t you at nine months? I ask because I’m three months ahead of you, almost (October 6th) and I know tomorrow is our six-month-to-go mark and it’s causing me my serious aforementioned panic. πŸ˜‰ The thing that freaks me out the most is we don’t have any transportation worked out yet! We also know what we’re doing with invitations and have designed them, but I know printing and assembly will be a pain in the neck. Otherwise, we’re mostly okay. But, still. Panicking.

7 Meghann April 5, 2012 at 2:14 pm

You’re right! I’ve had it in my head that it was 8 months, but I was terribly off. lol

8 Lisa April 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I thought the wedding was in January, in 9 months?

It sounds like you are doing well, and have plenty of time. I never really panicked about my own wedding and I planned it entirely myself (no family nearby), and I was engaged for about 8 months. There will be far worse things to stress over in life; have fun with the wedding!

9 Meghann April 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm

You’re right! I’m not sure why I was thinking 8 πŸ™‚

10 Mary @ food and fun on the run April 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I never panicked because I got everything done way way ahead of time! I was able to just relax in the weeks coming up to it!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Top 6 Running Recovery Tools

11 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep April 5, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Great list! If the girls are wearing cowgirl boots, I’d go with suits for the guys.
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Arriving in New York City

12 Gavriel April 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm

We have been using the Real Simple wedding book and timeline since day one of planning (almost a year ago). We are three months out and panic has not hit yet. I highly recommend this timeline–it breaks down the to-do list by each month and gives you a sense of how to prioritize your decision-making.

13 megan April 5, 2012 at 2:16 pm

where your MIND went maybe? your lack of proof reading is seriously out of control! every single post!

14 Meghann April 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I love that I had that typo up for exactly 3 minutes and a comment was posted on it. πŸ™‚

15 Krista April 5, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I only panicked about 3 weeks out & then the last 2 days or so were really stressful w/family coming into town & such. But it’s all so fun, just take it all in! And if you can afford it, I would totally get a videopgrapher.

16 Sneakers2Sandals April 5, 2012 at 2:30 pm

definitely 2 months out! when you wait around for people to RSVP (before you can do anything else) and then all of a sudden you’re like eeeeeek!
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Don’t be a noodle, Noodle.

17 Heather April 5, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Flower girl flowers – mine carried flower balls, which were pretty, but ended up being kind of heavy. Keep their ages in mind. I really like cones made of paper & petals.

Also – menu. We did chalkboard.

Sabrina wrote a post after her wedding that I found helpful. It was about the projects that never got done & how it was all still okay in the end. I had the same feeling & you will too!

18 Meghann April 5, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Thanks Heather πŸ™‚ I’m going to read Sabrina’s post now.

19 Sara April 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm

you could do something with snowflakes. Obvi not real ones but maybe something made of paper or other material.

20 Sara April 5, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I meant for the flower girl!

21 jessica@domesticated-bliss April 5, 2012 at 2:44 pm

For the alcohol – lots of couples have started having “stock the bar” parties as an addition to the traditional bridal showers. Plus it’s co-ed friendly πŸ™‚
jessica@domesticated-bliss recently posted..March Recap and April Goals

22 katiedid April 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I bought the Kelly and Katie shoes from DSW for our wedding (2 months!) They are super cute and comfortable (I have other k+k shoes, too!).

23 erica April 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

i think my panic set in about 1-2 months prior to the wedding.

my flower girl did the traditional basket w/petals. but i also love the floral pomander (my second option, but turned out more $$ so i just went w/the basket)
erica recently posted..words on pinterest

24 Jamie April 5, 2012 at 3:01 pm

The knot has a checklist to do by month if you sign up. My wedding is in 45 days (AAAAHHH!!!) and it has helped a lot.

25 Abbey April 5, 2012 at 3:03 pm

As daunting as the list looks don’t panic πŸ™‚ I planned my wedding in a year and I had about 4-5 months where I had nothing to do since all the things that could be done in advance were finished and I couldn’t start the last minute stuff yet. As for the flower girl, if you don’t want her to drop flower petals then kissing balls are always cute!

26 Emily N April 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I actually was panicked when I was about 5 months out, and i didn’t feel like I had anything to do. I had everything booked, I had my dress, my fittings were scheduled, and then I was nervous that I didn’t have stuff to do and that I was missing something.

Dont worry, if you stay organized, you are ok and you are actually NOT missing something.
Emily N recently posted..Rachel’s shower update!

27 Carrie April 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I know you’ll hear this a lot, but honestly it all just starts to come together toward the end. I was super stressed about planning everything and had meltdowns all of the time. But if i had to do it over again, I would be much more zen about the whole thing. The little details that I was obsessing over didn’t really matter to many guests.
Carrie recently posted..Long Run Recap

28 Cait's Plate April 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Planning a wedding really is like a full-time job! I can’t believe how many little details there are to keep track of!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..S’s All Around

29 Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 5, 2012 at 3:16 pm

SO many of those things are things you wait to do until WAY closer to the wedding. I think you are doing great! We are 4 months out from our wedding… and everything is really starting to seem more real! I ordered a dress hanger from etsy..and it came.. with my new last name. Now this shit is real! Not TOO panicked yet, though!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Suddenly, it Seems so Much More Real

30 lauren April 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

What about pre-marital counseling? Not romantic, pretty, or fun but definitely practical and frankly probably more important than many of the items on your list. (I say this as an engaged lady myself planning for a June 2013 wedding; we’re having our first counseling session in two weeks)

31 Kate April 5, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Seconding this. I was not thrilled at the requirements our church had for pre-cana at first (a test! So many meetings! A weekend retreat! It just seemed like too much.), but it honestly ended up being the best and most valuable thing we did in the entire wedding planning process, and something we return to again and again in our marriage.

32 Kelly April 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I’m not engaged or married so I cannot really answer your question but I’m very curious about the cowboy boots. Is this something your wedding party is psyched about? I ask only because the one thing I’ve loved about being a bridesmaid is that even if your dress is completely inappropriate to wear again, you can usually repurpose shoes. But I dunno about cowboy boots. That seems like something not everyone would be excited about. But who knows, maybe your bridesmaids suggested it.
Kelly recently posted..Carrot and Goat’s Milk Cheddar Soup

33 C April 6, 2012 at 1:37 am

I’ve been a bridesmaid and had to wear a hideous.. Hideous!! dress. Part of agreeing to be a bridesmaid is giving in to what the bride wants. That being said, my bridesmaids are all wearing cowgirl boots and they’re stoked. I’m wearing them, too. What’s handy about that type of shoe is that its something you might not buy otherwise because you can’t justify the cost. There have beeb a few country concerts we have attended where we wished we had legitimae cowgirl boots to wear. Country nights at bar, too. Now we will!

34 Meghann April 6, 2012 at 10:29 am

I LOVE my cowgirl boots! I bought them at Target for $36 a couple of years ago and wear them all the time. I’m hoping to score a similar deal and just buy the cowgirl boots for my bridesmaids, let me know if you come across any deals!

35 Anne April 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Lodging/Daycare for your pup? Unless Maddie might make an appearance on your wedding day πŸ™‚

36 Meghann April 5, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I was thinking about that actually πŸ˜‰ She’ll probably just stay at my parents’ house since my parents will be going home after the wedding anyways. πŸ™‚

37 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Panic comes in that moment that you just described … when you still have what feels like a thousand things on your list. But for me, the panic was completely unnecessary. You’ll find that you have plenty of time to get it all done … just take it one thing at a time. And a lot of the things you won’t even be able to accomplish until less than a month before the big day (like finalizing guest list and table numbers and things like that). So there’s no point in worrying because you can’t do anything about it now! πŸ˜‰ I can tell you’re organized, so you’ll be fine!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I could really use a better knife.

38 Robyn McLeod April 5, 2012 at 3:40 pm

We just got married on 3/17/12 in Jacksonville and LOVED our videographers. They are Take One Productions and did an amazing job. They’re extremely affordable. I was VERY budget conscious throughout my planning and they did a great job with a package that included a teaser trailer that we LOVE! Here is that link: http://vimeo.com/takeoneproductions/robynandryan

I highly recommend Doug and his team!

39 Meghann April 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Thank you! I’m looking them up!

40 Abby April 5, 2012 at 3:48 pm

You might want to think about making a “photo checklist” for the day of. Even fantastic photographers can forget certain photos that you might think are “standard”, and giving them a checklist ensures they get everything you want. Plus, it can help them look out for any special details that are unique to your wedding (and they wouldn’t necessarily realize its importance to you without you specifically saying so). I emailed mine to my photographer about 3 weeks out.
Our photographer took really awesome pictures, but he actually wasn’t able to open my list and never told me, so on the day of he kept asking me what else I wanted (and at that time, your mind is so busy with other things you just “I’ll just trust him to do whatever he thinks is best.”) Turns out I really hated a lot of our wedding photos because they were NOT the style/shots that I had emailed him originally. So another tip is to bring a back-up of any lists/instructions/etc. you want for the day of πŸ™‚

41 Abby April 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Oh yeah, and one more thing πŸ™‚ Someone already mentioned it, but I have to second doing pre-marital counseling. I know you guys have been together for awhile, so it might seem unnecessary. Hubs and I had been together almost four years when we got married but we still went to a pre-marriage seminar at our church with a bunch of other couples (but you definitely don’t have to do it in a “religious” context- lots of other options for where to do it), and it was probably the best preparation we had. We had already talked about the money stuff, baby stuff, and all the other “stuff” you should discuss before you get married, but the seminar/counseling talked about other things that we have found extremely helpful in our marriage. I’m sure we would have eventually figured them out, but we both find ourselves referring to different things we learned that weekend. Anyway, I highly recommend you at least look into it. Plus, (at least in Texas), they will wave the cost of your marriage license if you do it (and the seminar was free).

42 Sarah April 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I had an outdoor wedding and wanted to do suits for the guys rather than tuxedos, but that means they would’ve had to buy, not rent, for them to get matching-ish ones. For the group of guys we had that was far too expensive. We got tuxedos and the rentals all went very smoothly and looked great. No biggie!

ps Cowgirl boots on bridesmaids are VERY cute, don’t get me wrong… but maybe they’re a bit summer-y rather than the January, snowy theme you were looking for? Just food for thought. I think the photos with boots look SO adorable so I wouldn’t blame you if you mixed it anyway πŸ™‚

43 Meghann April 5, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I know they’re kinda summery, but they’re also kinda my thing since I wear cowgirl boots all the time. It’s my way of incorporating a piece of me into the wedding (I’ll have boots on for the reception πŸ™‚ )

44 Sarah April 5, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Well that makes perfect sense then! I guess all I’ve ever seen you wear on the blog is running shoes hahaha.

45 Brandy April 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Quick, go look at the Easter dresses to find your flower girl dress! It will be WAY cheaper than a real flower girl dress and just as cute.

46 Elle April 5, 2012 at 5:06 pm

THIS!

I ordered flower girl dresses…they didn’t show up until the Tuesday before the wedding and they were the wrong size! We ended up buying cream colored Easter dresses at Belk’s and I loved them more than the original dresses. Then the girls wore them the next weekend for Easter!
Elle recently posted..What I’m Loving Wednesday

47 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Haha you’re doing great! We have just under 8 months and still have a lot left (shuttles, grooms suits, make-up trial, sending out the save the dates and invitiations, etc). While I’m not panicking I am definitely more worried about all these little things versus the big things. I keep thinking I’m going to forget something!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..What motivates you?

48 Tracey April 5, 2012 at 5:17 pm

How old is your flower girl? Our florist made our flower girl a teeny version of my bouquet. It was adorable and she loved it. But she was 5, that probably wouldn’t work if it is for a baby ;).

49 Cat Melnyk April 5, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Obviously having gone to tons of weddings… DJ Marc Burgess is my always recommendation. He’s awesome.

50 Jessica April 5, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I started panicing around 3-4 months before when payments were coming due. Yes, you plan for them and save for them, but it still hurts to dish out that much cash! That subsided and then I was a wreck the week before the wedding. My MOH said I did very well and didn’t seem stressed but there were SO MANY little details to do at the end! Not to mention the fact that I was doing most of it myself- I love my husband to death, but he wasn’t much help, ha!

51 BroccoliHut April 5, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I’m the same way–I feel like I’ve accomplished so many things on my planning list…only to realize that I still have a LONG ways to go. So many details to take care of!
I have no doubt you’ll get everything done with time to spare πŸ™‚
BroccoliHut recently posted..Easter Feasts of Past and Present

52 Lizzie @TheWeekdayVegan April 5, 2012 at 8:31 pm

HOORAY for cowgirl boots with bridesmaid dresses! Love it!
Lizzie @TheWeekdayVegan recently posted..Cooper River Bridge Run Re-Cap

53 Claire April 5, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Cowboy boots? Really? Not tacky at all.

54 Meghann April 6, 2012 at 10:27 am

I thought weddings are supposed to be tacky? πŸ˜‰

55 Claire April 6, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I’m a different Claire than the one who commented above.

I have to disagree that weddings are supposed to be tacky. I’m all for having a little fun at your wedding (I am planning one too), but in the end a wedding is about promising to be with one person for the rest of your life. It seems odd to refer to a wedding something that should be tacky when it really should be a serious and reflective event. In my opinion anyway.

56 Deva @ Deva by Definition April 5, 2012 at 11:20 pm

we are 13 months out from our wedding and have our venue and menu all set, along with my gown and our photographer. I’ve been using the Real Simple wedding checklist, along with The Great Big Book of Everything that my MOH made me, and that has been extremely helpful. We bought our wedding bands when we went to get my engagement ring, so that is one thing we won’t have to worry about..
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..Comfort Food Cravings

57 Meghan April 6, 2012 at 7:42 am

We weren’t going to do video and are so glad we opted to! We had a company in conjunction with our photographer called 760 Studios here in Orlando. The price wasn’t horrible because we only had a highlight video made, and since we had a full catholic mass + 4 hour reception it came out awesome, and is not boring! Here are the links if you are interested.

The short one is a highlight of the longer

58 Meghann April 6, 2012 at 10:32 am

Thank you Meghan!

59 Sue Kauffman April 6, 2012 at 9:29 am

I’ve been happily married for 26 years and here’s my best advice. You will forget most (or all) of the details of the wedding you are feverishly planning right now. It will go by in such a blur. The important thing is to put as much effort and work into your marriage as you do into the wedding planning. That’s the thing that will keep the two of you happy and together! All my best wishes πŸ™‚
Sue Kauffman recently posted..Online Fitness Coaching: Featured Blog

60 Jennifer April 6, 2012 at 9:59 am

I second this! Oprah did a wedding episode around the time I got married (about 14 yrs ago). I still remember a quote from that show: “If people put as much thought into their marriage as they did their wedding, there would be far less divorces.” I also remember reading somewhere that when wedding guests are asked to remember details from a wedding they attended, most don’t remember the little things (color of bridesmaids dresses, programs, flowers, etc), even as soon as 6 months later. All that being said, planning a wedding is fun! So I guess my best advice is to have some fun without sweating the small stuff…cause people aren’t going to remember it anyway!

61 Mackenzie @SusieFreakingHomemaker April 6, 2012 at 9:38 am

I got married less than a month ago – the panic set in probably 30 days prior, but you will handle it well. I went for many runs.

Here’s what I had for a guestbook – it doubles as a great keepsake for after: http://www.etsy.com/listing/78296665/wedding-guest-plate-personalized?ref=pr_shop

Here’s what I bought our parents – both sets cried and immediately hung them in their homes: http://www.etsy.com/listing/78296665/wedding-guest-plate-personalized?ref=pr_shop

Etsy and Pinterest were lifesavers!!
Mackenzie @SusieFreakingHomemaker recently posted..Friday

62 Sarah April 6, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Tampa reader here! There’s a guy at my school (UT) who DJ’s…from what I hear, he’s really good…I can shoot you info if you’re interested!

63 Margo April 7, 2012 at 7:33 am

You’re doing so great! I just got married 2 weeks ago, and for me all the planning seemed to come in waves. I was super busy like 9 months out, then would have a bit of downtime to brainstorm for the next wave. Love all your ideas for touches like cowboy boots and chalkboard program. They’ll fit in so nicely with the venue and your style!

64 Sarah April 7, 2012 at 9:58 am

Why is my comment still hanging out in moderation? I’m a Tampa reader who knows of a Tampa DJ that you might be interested in looking up for your wedding. Is that somehow offensive to you? Geez..

65 Meghann April 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Sorry, Sarah! I hadn’t checked my ‘pending comment’ folder since yesterday afternoon. πŸ™‚ I would love to hear about a Tampa DJ! But do you think the DJ would be willing to travel to Titusville for the wedding?

66 Andrea April 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm

You are doing well weddings can be stressful times. When I was arranging mine all my friends and family kept saying keep calm and enjoy it. Easier said than done, but it is good advice as it goes by so quick and soon enough it will be over. Keep up the hard work it will all be worth it in the end.

67 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 8, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I was lucky enough to have a wedding planner (since my mom was hours away and could not help out) so I never had a moment of panic. Honestly, the biggest hassle I had was coordinating the hair/make up people the day of the wedding. If I had it to do over I would have had all of the ladies in the same suite getting ready. That was a HUGE error on my part. πŸ™‚ Also, your wedding is about what the two of you want and no one else. Wear what you want, do what you want, and have the best time!!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Easter Weekend With The Fam

68 Sarah April 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Sorry! Meant to reply earlier, but I’ve been sick all weekend. The DJ I mentioned can be found at djdayve.com…not sure if he’ll travel to Titusville but you can ask!

69 Sarah April 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Hi and congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding! I stumbled across your blog this afternoon and noticed that you are looking to finalize your vendor list. I own Weddings by 2+Hue which is a rustic and vintage wedding rental and styling company based out of Orlando but I serve all of Central Florida. My website is: weddingsby2plushue.com. Check it out when you get a chance, I would love to have the opportunity to sit down and chat with you.
All my best,