more ยป" />

Wedding: The Hotel Room Block

by Meghann on April 4, 2012

Well, that was easy. Reserving a hotel room block was just one more thing I was able to cross off of my to-do list this week.

• Reserve hotel block for the wedding

Check! ๐Ÿ™‚

hotel room.jpg

It was easy because, well, we’re getting married in Titusville and hotel options are slim pickins’ in those parts. There were basically 3 or 4 hotels within a few miles of the wedding site to choose from and each were on the same level of comfort, rating, and available amenities. We ended up picking the hotel that was slightly newer (it’s only a couple of years old) since they already had a partnership with our wedding site and could offer the best deal through that partnership.

Getting a hold of the sales person was really the biggest hurdle we had. She doesn’t work on the weekends (fair enough), has funky lunch hours (3:00pm lunch?), and always seemed to be in a meeting when I called. It took a couple of voicemails, but she did eventually call back and offered the same discounted price I was quoted from my contact at Birdsong. No need to haggle, I was already happy with the price and I knew it was a great hotel.

The sales contact sent over a link to a personalized reservation site that I could share on the wedding website. The personalized link is already pre-populated with the code for the discounted rate, which guests can use three days leading up to the wedding and two days after if they so choose.

The majority of our wedding party will be local (or semi-local in the coming-from-Orlando sense), but we will have a few (mainly Derek’s side of the family and out-of-state friends) that will be traveling for the wedding. Without RSVPs, it’s hard to get a strong grasp on that number or to know how many rooms to reserve. I blocked off 20 rooms for the time being and my sales contact said she would let me know if/when that number fills up so we can add on some more. She didn’t seem to think there was an issue with the hotel selling out before the big day, but she would let me know if anything came up that would make he think otherwise. (My brother and his wife actually had an issue with this for their hotel because a convention of some sort booked their hotel the same weekend as their wedding and ended up ‘stealing’ some of their hotel block when the hotel booked up. Some wedding guests had to book at a neighboring hotel, but it wasn’t a huge issue.)

So, that was it. The hotel room block is now reserved and weddings guests have the ability to start making reservations as soon as today if they wanted to. Will they? Probably not. I think we have a procrastinating bunch, but at least this is one more thing I can cross off of my list and not have to worry about for a while. ๐Ÿ™‚

How did you choose which hotel to reserve for your wedding? Did you have any problems?

1 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 4, 2012 at 1:17 pm

We basically only had two options that were literally right next door to eachother and about 10 minutes from the venue. We ended up going with the one that was slightly newer too – it gave it a more clean look. While we only got a block at the hotel we chose, it’s good to know if need be we can contact the hotel next door to reserve some rooms.

I was also happy with ours because they blocked off rooms that will be held until 1 month before the wedding with no commitment from us. If they aren’t used, they get released to the public. If they are used and we need more, people can still call and get the wedding rate. I have heard of too many couples getting stuck paying their blocked off rooms or not blocking enough and people paying more!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..Our Reception Venue

2 Megan S April 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm

This made me laugh because For some reason the hotel block thing stressed me out so much! I put it off way too long so had a ton I people askin me about it. I finally started crying and said ‘this is the most stressful part of wedding planning so far!’ and my dad did it for me:) definitely not my finest moment in an otherwise low stress event. Dads are the best:)
Megan S recently posted..Top Recipes and Goals for the Year

3 Krista April 4, 2012 at 2:48 pm

My only advice is make sure you keep on her about rooms filling up. We were only able to block 10 rooms & they filled up fast. Our hotel never let me know that we had filled all our rooms until guests started calling me & complaining they couldn’t get a room (not what you want to deal with 1 month before your wedding). I ended up calling the hotel & complained I was never notified. They took care of the situation & let those guests get rooms at the discounted rate.

4 Becky April 4, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I took almost the exact same picture for my wedding blog ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Shannon April 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Yay, one more thing off the list!

6 Allie April 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Eh, we didn’t have a very good experience. We chose our hotel because it was close to my parent’s house and because it had a shuttle we could rent to get guests to and from the wedding/reception location (which was awesome). They also had a bar in the hotel so people could continue the party after the reception.

Unfortunately, most of the hotel (of course not the rooms we saw) were really rundown, so that wasn’t cool. They were also hosting a billiards tournament at the hotel the same weekend as our wedding, so there were a lot of really drunk people (without all their teeth) wandering around. We were supposed to get a free bridal suite if a certain number of people booked, but when my husband went to check in, he found out our room was NEXT DOOR to his parents’ room. On our wedding night. Uh… yeah that was not going to happen. So he changed the room, and our complimentary champagne/fruit basket got delivered to the suite we were originally booked in. I hope those people enjoyed it!

None of that stuff was a big deal at all, but it is one of the very few things I would go back and change if I could.

7 Amanda April 4, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I don’t know how many people book their hotel for a wedding 8 months in advance unless it was a destination wedding. We reserved the block of rooms early on, but didn’t send out hotel information until we mailed the invites, 2 months out from our wedding. I think the hotel held the rooms up until 2 weeks before our wedding. I second the suggestion of checking in with the hotel in the month or so before your wedding to make sure there are still rooms available for guests who need them. I also kept track of how many rooms were actually booked because we made little welcome baskets to leave in the rooms for people that stayed at the hotel.
Amanda recently posted..March Recap

8 Meghann April 4, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Trust me, I plan to check in. ๐Ÿ™‚ I just wanted to have all of the hotel information out of the way before the save-the-dates went out. It was something my future mother-in-law has been asking about (since they will be traveling for the wedding) and I wanted to put her mind at ease about the situation. And, heck, the more things I can cross off the to-do list so early in the game, the better! ๐Ÿ™‚

9 Amanda April 4, 2012 at 4:07 pm

ahh… I get that. She sounds like quite the planner ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m sure it will give you peace of mind to not have to answer that question anymore too!
Amanda recently posted..March Recap

10 Amanda KF April 4, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Just a friendly piece of advice to make sure you let your guests know on your wedding website that the room block is actually good for several days around the wedding date. We had a wedding last summer that we reserved a hotel for through the block and I had no idea they had reserved the block for the day before and after the wedding. The link on their website automatically had the day before the wedding selected and I was supposed to change it if I wanted to reserve for the day of the wedding. Well I am a total dummy and didn’t catch that at all. We didn’t even find it out until we went to check into the hotel right before the wedding and they told us we had a reservation for yesterday AND they were sold out for tonight. Total fail. It was definitely my fault and NOT the bride & groom’s but I would just do a little disclaimer if I were you to prevent any blonde guests like me from screwing it up ๐Ÿ™‚

11 BroccoliHut April 4, 2012 at 6:57 pm

The hotel we chose happened to be the location of the rehearsal dinner…and it’s also right across the street from the ceremony site. It was too perfect ๐Ÿ™‚ It also didn’t hurt that it offers free transportation to and from the airport and continental breakfasts!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Wedding Wednesday: the Venue