NatureBox

by Meghann on April 4, 2012

A fun surprise arrived on my doorstep this afternoon.

And who doesn’t love fun surprises?

NatureBox is a company built around the idea of delivering fun (healthy!) surprises on a monthly basis. Just like Birch Box (where subscribers can sign up to receive monthly shipments of health and beauty products), NatureBox delivers monthly shipments of healthy, locally sourced snacks right to subscribers’ front door.

NatureBox is still new – and currently still developing their product and brand – but they were kind enough to send me one of their March boxes to review on the blog.

I love the idea of monthly subscription programs for packaged goods because, well, who doesn’t love getting a package filled with new goodies every month? And the subscription price isn’t that bad. $19.95 a month gets you all this.

March’s box:

• Sunshine Veggie Chips
  • Firecrackers
  • Nuts for Granola
  • Dried Cherries
  • Figgy Bars with Honey

First of all, I was impressed with the variety of snacks in the snack box. Each snack bag contained something that was a completely different snack genre than the other (i.e. only one dried fruit, only one bag of granola, etc.). I also loved that the box included recipes for all of the items in the snacks bags and I thought that it was a great that it was all a big surprise when I opened the box.

It just so happened that the box arrived around snack time. Perfect time to try the figgy bars, wouldn’t you agree?

Nutrition facts:

I had two. :)

Yep. Tasted just like a Fig Newton – two thumbs up. :)

The only downside I can see is the chance of receiving items you don’t particularly care for and not having control over it (i.e. the firecrackers will probably go uneaten in this household), but I guess that would be true with any mystery service.

Do you subscribe to any monthly delivery services? What are your thoughts?

The figgy bars were great, but they didn’t keep me full for long. Hunger hit hard at Whole Foods a couple of hours later and I had to purchase a pear to hold me over.

Derek and I had dinner at his brother’s house tonight. His brother supplied the entertainment (his adorable 10 month old daughter) and we supplied the pizza.

I <3 Anthony’s Pizza. Seriously, the best take-out pizza around. :)

We ordered the usual – one large meatball, one small cauliflower, and a large salad – but the cauliflower pizza tasted off. It wasn’t as buttery as usual and had a bit of spice to it (I don’t remember it being spicy in the past). I hope they didn’t change their formula and this was just a fluke. :/

I still went back for a second piece of cauliflower. ;)

Attune chocolate bar for dessert.

And now it’s time for bed.

Good night!

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 4, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I wanted to try out NatureBox but they don’t cater to special diets yet! I’m intolerant to gluten and soy so I’m afraid I’d end up not being able to eat a few of the items in my box. I actually do Birchbox and love it!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Racing Bug and WIAW

2 Emily October 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Katie,
Have you found any special diet programs/boxes yet? I’d love to know!
Thanks,
Emily

3 Victoria (District Chocoholic) April 4, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Those dried cherries need to go into cookies. With chocolate chunks.

Brownies would also be acceptable.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Chuao Potato Chips in Chocolate

4 Lindsay April 4, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Looks like a great box, but I don’t think $20 a month is a deal. Sounds like you have some blinders on since you got this box for free!

5 Meghann April 4, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Considering how much you get – and the quality of what you get – I think $20 is a good deal. Especially when you consider how much shipping usually is for specialty ordered goods. Walk in to Whole Foods for the same quality – and quantity – of goods and you’ll probably spend more.

6 Liz April 5, 2012 at 6:36 am

Even at Whole Foods you can get more than 3 fig bars for $4…

7 greenbean April 5, 2012 at 8:44 am

I came here to leave the same comment. $4 for 3 fig bars is outrageous.

8 Lindsay April 5, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Agreed. And it’s the fact that you have to do it monthly that makes it even more unreasonable. Sure, I might go to Whole Foods (but really Trader Joe’s because prices are so much more reasonable there) and spend $20 on 4-5 bags of goodies, but am I going every month to spend that on extra snacks? Probably not. Also, the whole “will I like it?” thing is a problem as well. If you could somehow customize what you like/don’t like, it might make a little more sense.

9 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 4, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I think I’d love getting free [surprise] snacks each month. Although, I’d be kind of upset if I got a bunch of stuff that I didn’t like, you’re still paying $20 for it all.

I really want to try cauliflower pizza, it always looks so good on your blog. Is Anthony’s the only place you’ve seen it?
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW: A Hungry Day

10 Emily @LivingLongfellow April 4, 2012 at 11:36 pm

That box is super cool! I just learned about birch box from another friend and am totally intrigued.
Emily @LivingLongfellow recently posted..Gardened My Fingers Off

11 Carrie April 4, 2012 at 11:37 pm

What a neat idea! I would also be concerned about items I didn’t like, but I guess that’s part of the surprise!
Carrie recently posted..My Experiences Encouraging a New Runner

12 Chuck April 5, 2012 at 1:44 am

I’ve yet to find good pizza in Florida- is Anthony’s good??
Chuck recently posted..Podcast interview with Pro Triathlete James Cotter

13 Jamie@everydaydolce.com April 5, 2012 at 2:40 am

That pizza looks delish :) And what a fun surprise! Hope you enjoy :)
Jamie@everydaydolce.com recently posted..Tunes For The Tuesdays.

14 Racheal @ Running with Racheal April 5, 2012 at 4:59 am

I get a box of mostly locally grown organic fruits and vegetable delivered to my house every week. I love it because my trips to the store are decreased and it forces some variety onto my plate.

That Nature Box seems cool, but I don’t think I would need that much stuff at once. Do they have a smaller box option?
Racheal @ Running with Racheal recently posted..Happy Birthday Danny

15 Caitlin in MD April 5, 2012 at 6:22 am

I have to say, $5 for each item doesn’t seem like a great deal to me. I would never spend it in a grocery store. But I’m a single mom on a budget so probably not their target demographic.

16 Caitlin in MD April 5, 2012 at 10:48 am

Edited: *$4. Sorry! Still too high, IMO.

17 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 5, 2012 at 6:29 am

I’ve never heard of cauliflower on pizza!! I’m intrigued! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I could really use a better knife.

18 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 5, 2012 at 6:37 am

Nature Box sounds cool but I’m with the some of the other comments. It does seem like a steep price to pay for 5 bags of snacks. Granted some of the snacks retail for more than $5 a piece and others are less so I guess it evens out. I still think I might be able to go to my local health food store and get it cheaper. Maybe I’d try it for a couple of months to see what I could get.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Get Bikini Ready! Total Body Workout

19 Kris @ www.kris-lawrence.com April 5, 2012 at 7:09 am

Cauliflower pizza? Never heard of that! My kids actually eat cauliflower without complaint though so maybe I’ll throw some on next time we have pizza night. Can I count amazon subscribe & save as our delivery? We try to snack on mostly fruits & veggies but amazon has many organic packaged snacks available to be delivered automatically. I love it :)

20 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 5, 2012 at 7:57 am

That box sounds like a cool concept but I’d be afraid that I wouldn’t like the items in the box and then I would have wasted money on it.

I love Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza! It’s so good :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Walk The Plank!…

21 Beka April 5, 2012 at 8:27 am

I have read a review on the BirchBox and it wasn’t very promising (and of course I can’t find the link to it now). I would like to try it for a trial period.
I think that there being only 3 fig bars in the bag is a bit of a rip off if you broke down per package pricing, but the other snack bags are a reasonable price point. I know when I buy snacks or granola it is usually $4-5 a bag (plus cost of gas, annoyance of actually going to the store, etc). I think I may sign up! I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be the first time that most/any of us have overpaid for 1-2 items. :)
Beka recently posted..Building a Bedroom and Sunday Dinner

22 Beka April 5, 2012 at 8:28 am

Oh yea, Anthony’s is probably #1-2 on my favorite pizza list.
If you haven’t, try the ribs!!! They are AMAZING, and I always order the sausage and ricotta pizza. Might as well go all out eating badly! :)
Beka recently posted..Building a Bedroom and Sunday Dinner

23 Angela April 5, 2012 at 9:17 am

I’ve never had cauliflower on pizza i’m going to have to give that a try!!
Angela recently posted..I love thursdays!

24 Laura April 5, 2012 at 9:21 am

I think $20 is pretty steep for the box. $15 or $10 would be more reasonable.

I haven’t tried birchbox yet (make up samples, etc.), but I’m going to give my bridesmaids a 3 month subscription to the service as part of their gift for being in my wedding.

25 Steph @ StephSnacks April 5, 2012 at 9:26 am

This sounds like such a fun idea! I’d love to sign up for something like this :)
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..So, What Happened?

26 Kim Miller April 5, 2012 at 9:31 am

Really cute blog! Way to go on being selected as women’s running magazine featured blogger. I really like all the photos you use. That inspires me to work on better pictures for my blog. Love the colors!

27 MrsSwan April 5, 2012 at 10:05 am

Way to expensive chime in from me too. I do love the concept and cost of birchbox though.
MrsSwan recently posted..Batman undies on a little butt.

28 Meghann April 5, 2012 at 10:20 am

No worries. I’ll pass the feedback along to NatureBox. :)

29 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 5, 2012 at 10:12 am

I have been craving fig newtons (weird, yes) so those look delicious! I don’t subscribe to anything monthly. I find that I probably spend more because I don’t always like/love what is included. Saves me to just buy what I do enjoy.

That pizza looks amazing!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..What motivates you?

30 Sarah April 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Cool! They say there are 12-15 servings per box so that’s around $1.33 to $1.66 per snack. I’d spend that for the quality, convenience and fun factor.

My husband would love something like this so I might gift a few months to him for Easter! Thanks for sharing!

31 Cait's Plate April 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm

That NatureBox concept is SO cute!

And that pizza looks absolutely incredible. I’m drooling over here…
Cait’s Plate recently posted..S’s All Around

32 Nadine M. April 6, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I will totally take those firecracker snacks off your hand ;) haha but what a cool concept!