Wedding: The Other Proposals

by Meghann on April 3, 2012

It’s funny the little secrets that tend to come out after your fiance proposes.

After Derek proposed in January, I not only learned what went into selecting my ring, but I also learned a couple of the other scenarios that Derek had originally pitched to our friends and family on how exactly he wanted to pop the question.

Here are two of my favorites.

Proposal scenario #1: The Disney Marathon Proposal

I was suspicious about this one from the start.

This proposal idea came about after I ran the Disney Marathon back in January 2010 (yes, a full TWO YEARS before he eventually put a ring on it). That was when the ‘running bug’ hit Derek. Sort of. He made this big proclamation the same month that the following year he wanted to run the marathon with me. He even told the shoe guy that his ultimate goal was to run the Disney Marathon when he was fitted for his first real pair of running shoes the next month. It was a long term goal that he hoped to build himself up to over the next year.

He started out feeling strong with a great finish time at his first 15k, then summertime hit and the hot and humid weather forced him to take a break from running. The deeper into summer it got, the less and less he talked about the Disney marathon. He eventually ran his first half marathon that fall at the Wine and Dine, but the running bug had left him and so did his desire to run the full that January. The Disney marathon came and went and Derek slept soundly through it.

I was suspicious of all of this because I knew that deep down Derek had no desire to run a marathon. When he first started talking about running it, I told more than a few people that I bet he’s only running it to propose. As time went on – and I knew he wasn’t running it – I almost forgot about about the whole proposal idea I had dreamt up in my head. Then he did propose and the truth came out – he had been planning to propose at the finish line! I knew it!

That was his original idea – run the Disney Marathon and propose at the end. Then he started training and realized he had gotten way ahead of himself. As he told me… “Yeah, that was a crazy idea. Me? Run a marathon? Ha.” *side note: he totally could run a marathon if he really wanted to, but that’s another discussion for another day.* Anyways, after running his first half, he bailed on the marathon and bailed on the proposal idea.

Proposal scenario #2: Sky diving

100_0323.JPG

This one makes me laugh, only because when Derek tells the story of how he was going to do it, he acts it out in character and it cracks me up every time.

I guess this idea came from a Groupon deal he received in his inbox one day. He wanted to buy the deal and take me skydiving. He knew I had jumped once before and figured a good excuse to go would be that he had never gone before and wanted to try it too.

This is where Derek acting it out in person really adds to the charm of the story. Just imagine him pretending like he is falling (arms waving in the air, exaggerated movements, etc.) while mouthing out the words “Will…. you… marry… me?” in slow motion and realizing that wouldn’t work.

His other idea was even better. We would both jump, land safely on the ground, and then run to each other. Then, still full of adrenaline and happiness, (Again, you have to picture Derek acting this out) he would pretend he was breathless screaming “OH MY GOD… THAT WAS…” then fall to one knee, pull the ring out and propose.

His problem was A) figuring out where to put the ring during the jump and B) working up the actual courage to jump. Great in theory, but scary in real life!

In the end, Derek went the Ragnar Relay proposal route and I’m so glad he did. I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Proposal posts:

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 3, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Haha he should have just proposed when YOU finished a marathon, not when he did it too! Haha.

2 Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel April 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm

where is that black running skirt in the last picture from? it’s adorable! i want one!

3 Meghann April 3, 2012 at 12:52 pm

It’s Lululemon :)

4 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep April 3, 2012 at 12:55 pm

lululemon :)

5 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio April 3, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I love it! So cute!

6 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Haha, that is so sweet that he spent so much time and effort planning it!!! :)

My fiance said he had other scenarios in his head too but because I am a super snoop, and ruin all surprises, so the fact that he did it at home in our apartment on a random Thursday night actually did surprise me (somewhat)!

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 3, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Haha that is SO funny!! My now husband surprised me by flying from Ohio (where he lived) to Florida (where I lived) to propose. I had no idea … he had told me he was going fishing with some work friends that weekend! So imagine my surprise when I find him waiting for me on the beach in Florida!

The funniest part is, I THOUGHT he was going to propose like 3 other times before that. Every time we saw each other (b/c we were long distance), I kept waiting for it to be “THE” time. I drove myself bonkers trying to figure out when it was going to happen!! ;)

8 Cait's Plate April 3, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Ahahah – I LOVE those shirts in that first picture!

I think the scenario he chose was perfect as well – you two are so adorable :)

9 Meghann April 3, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Thanks! We had a lot of fun wearing them for the Race for the Taste 10k. Here’s the recap http://mealsandmiles.com/2009/10/11/race-for-the-taste-dereks-first-10k/

10 Carrie April 3, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I love all of these proposal schemes!

11 Anne P April 3, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Omg – I love the sky diving proposal idea, ha! That would have been insane.

12 Sana April 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I think I want a normal proposal, nothing too crazy so we both don’t die.

13 Devon @ Answering Oliver April 3, 2012 at 5:53 pm

My friend Aaron pulled off a pretty great skydiving proposal to his fiancee Katie! He jumped first, and as she followed, she spotted a big sign on the ground: “Will you marry me?” Then he got down on one knee as soon as she landed. I imagine one of the skydive guys on the ground held the ring while he jumped. So sweet! (Video: http://youtu.be/tQomoptcjWQ)

14 CaitlinHTP April 3, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I thought he was doing Disney just for the proposal, too :)

15 Army Amy* April 3, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Now I’m tempted to ask my husband if he had any other proposal ideas. I like the way Derek did it; it just seems so you!*

16 Jessica April 4, 2012 at 10:29 am

His proposal ideas are so cute and funny! Sounds like he put a lot of thought into proposing. :)