Roasted Cabbage Wedges

by Meghann on April 3, 2012

Pinterest dinner success!

I recently came across a recipe for Roasted Cabbage Wedges on Pinterest that immediately caught my attention because a) I love cabbage and b) it looked too easy and delicious to pass up.

The recipe (originally Martha Stewart) was pretty basic, but I bet it would be fun to dress the roasted cabbage up in the future with different spices or sauces. For my first go around, though, I kept it easy. I sliced the cabbage in 1 inch rounds, drizzled with olive oil, seasoned with salt, pepper & fennel seeds, and roasted at 400 for 40 minutes.

The final product reminded my of roasted brussels sprouts, which I was a fan of. 😉

The roasted cabbage wedges would make an excellent salad dish on their own with some blue cheese dressing (like a traditional wedge salad), but i decided to top them with a random chick and tomato dish that I concocted while the cabbage wedges were roasting.

Random Chicken & Tomato Dish

• 1 lb chicken breast tenders
  • 1 cup pasta sauce
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 cup artichoke hearts
  • 1/4 cup green olive slices
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • s & p
  • oregano

Start by browning the chicken in a hot skillet. Once the chicken is brown and cooked, add in the pasta sauce, can of tomatoes artichoke hearts, olives, and spices. Bring to a boil for a few minutes, then down to a simmer. Mix in cornmeal and let simmer for 10 minutes to thicken.

The random chicken and tomato mix was great. It was the perfect complement to the roasted cabbage. Both Derek and I happily cleaned our plates. :)

Pinterest win! :)

Earlier in the afternoon I had a bowl of ricotta with strawberry jam, strawberries, and Kashi Go Lean Crisp for a snack.

And a pice of dark chocolate pistachio toffee with strawberries for dessert.

A few things:

That’s all for now. :)

Good Night!

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 3, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Haha I love the recipe name! But I love cabbage and should try something like this!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..April Showers Bring…

2 Anna April 3, 2012 at 10:37 pm

My FAVORITE way to eat cabbage is to cut it into 4ths, take each wedge and place it in a piece of foil with a slab of butter and Creole seasoning. DELISH!

3 Chelsea April 3, 2012 at 11:10 pm

What a great recipe! I love cabbage and fennel, and this looks too easy yet delicious to pass up. Pinterest was such a great invention. :)
Chelsea recently posted..Couch Potato Power

4 Carrie April 4, 2012 at 12:21 am

I’ve seen that roasted cabbage pic on pinterest too, I’ll need to take the plunge and make it!
Carrie recently posted..Adventurous April Challenge

5 Sana April 4, 2012 at 12:39 am

You kinda made chicken curry!
Sana recently posted..Kidney and Green Bean Salan

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 4, 2012 at 6:23 am

Ooh if the cabbage tastes like roasted Brussels sprouts, them I’m sure I’d like it! I think any vegetable roasted tastes amazing! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I could really use a better knife.

7 Cait's Plate April 4, 2012 at 7:55 am

It’s amazing to think of what people did BEFORE Pinterest, Twitter, Blogs and Websites when it came to quick dinner inspiration! :)

These look pretty delicious!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pounding the Pavement

8 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 4, 2012 at 7:56 am

This is an interesting recipe! It does remind me of roasted brussels sprouts which are my favorite. Definitely going to have to try it! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..An Evening Of Comfort…

9 Serena April 4, 2012 at 8:08 am

I figured out roasting vegetable makes kids like them 72% better. It’s a great thing!
Serena recently posted..Running While sick

10 Angela April 4, 2012 at 8:10 am

yummm!! I love roasted cabbage!! This looks absolutely delicous!

Yay for instagram!!!!
Angela recently posted..Meal Planning

11 Sloane @ My Life in Florida April 4, 2012 at 8:26 am

I maybe cooking this for dinner this week! My parents are in town and they LOVE cabbage!
Sloane @ My Life in Florida recently posted..Sweet Potato

12 Emily N April 4, 2012 at 8:32 am

Hmmm… I guess maybe its time to try cabbage? I am honestly not sure if I have ever eaten before (and I am slightly embarrassed to admit that!)
Emily N recently posted..Post 20 Training

13 Beka April 4, 2012 at 8:34 am

I am not really a big fan of cabbage(when it’s steamed or boiled it’s just the slimy texture that gets me), but that looks delicious and very appetizing! I am definitely going to add this to the recipe arsenal.
Beka recently posted..Building a Bedroom and Sunday Dinner

14 Bria April 4, 2012 at 8:50 am

Yum! Must try those cabbage wedges!
Bria recently posted..Training updates and my new favourite curry recipe.

15 Kathy April 4, 2012 at 9:20 am

Too bad you weren’t in MN to start a “South of the River” in MN Lady Bloggers group…. 😉
Kathy recently posted..One more chance…Champion bras

16 Meghann April 4, 2012 at 9:24 am

Who says I need to be there to start one?! Do it! Start one of your own! :)

17 Beth @ 990 Square April 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

I am SO excited about Instagram for Android!!
Beth @ 990 Square recently posted..Wordless Wednesday 4.4.2012

18 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 4, 2012 at 10:13 am

I love cabbage too! I should try roasting it.
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW: A Hungry Day

19 Niki April 4, 2012 at 10:17 am

I’ve been dying to try this recipe! I’m so glad you gave it a good review!
Niki recently posted..Sounds like a plan

20 Sneakers2Sandals April 4, 2012 at 10:24 am

Yumm! Love cabbage! Love Tampa Lady Bloggers page! and why does putting pinterest links on the blog always mess up the format?! It did it to me the other day and it was friggen frustrating!
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Baked Chicken Fingers

21 Coco April 4, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I made them a month or so ago and I really enjoyed them (and so did the husband) Def a different way to eat it up!
Coco recently posted..Upgrades + Back/Shoulders WO

22 Crash October 16, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Try it with celery seed and celery salt instead of fennel. Or a nice combination of red chili pepper/roasted cumin/garlic salt/onion powder/brown sugar/lemon zest/tiny bit of lime juice