more ยป" />

Fun Race Locations

by Meghann on April 3, 2012

Ow. I went up in weights with yesterday’s NOLFW workout and I could definitely feel it this morning. My arms and chest were sore when i woke up, but not in a bad way, in a I-can-still-feel-yesterday’s-burn-and-it-hurts-so-good sorta way. ;)

The sore arms and chest didn’t detract from my run. I ran a 6 mile tempo around the block and tried to keep my tempo miles under 8:00 min/mi. Once again, my last tempo mile was my fastest by a good 10 seconds. I think it’s because, by that point, I know it’s my last mile and I just want to get it over with as quickly as possible.

Breakfast

When ever bread (think sliced bead, pitas, english muffins, etc) are BOGO at Publix I always stock up. I sit one package of bread on the counter to eat right away and I put the other in the freezer for another time. This morning I pulled a package of whole wheat muffins out of the freezer that were a part of a BOGO deal a few weeks ago. I let them thaw on the counter while I was on my run, then toasted one when I returned. I topped the english muffin with almond butter, fig jam, and Kashi Go Lean Crisp cereal.

With my english muffin, I had an orange drizzled with almond butter and sprinkled with walnuts (Yum!).

Orange + nut butter = winning combination ;)

Heather (Running with Sass) had a cute post up today about the Castaway Cay 5k she ran on her Disney Cruise last week.

I guess one of the excursions available through the cruise line is a RunDisney 5k on Castaway Cay. For a small fee, (edited to add: the 5k is FREE!) cruisers are issued a bib and have the opportunity to run the 5k course on the island before most other guests are allowed off the ship. It’s a pre-marked course, complete with water stations, and all finishers earn a special 5k finisher’s medal at the end.

I’ve been on plenty of cruises before, but never one that has offered a 5k race on their private island. What a great idea to encourage cruisers to stay active and moving on their cruise! I would say “Sign me up!” I hope other cruise lines start adapting similar races in the future. :)

What has been the most unique location you’ve run a race at?

I ran a 5k at Kennedy Space Center a couple of years ago that was pretty fun . Also, the WTC Run to Freedom 5k in NYC where we had to take a ferry to Governor’s Island was different since I never had to take a ferry to a start line before. :)

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 3, 2012 at 10:19 am

I only started racing recently, so I haven’t raced anywhere too exciting other than the Chicago Lakefront and downtown Kansas City, but I love that castaway idea! How fun would it be to run a 5K during your cruise!?

2 Shannon April 3, 2012 at 10:26 am

I’ve been on like 10 Disney cruises, and on our last one I had seriously considered doing the 5K, but I just couldn’t wake up early enough after being so tuckered out from all the vacationing. I’m DEFINITELY going to do it next cruise after reading her recap it looks so fun!

The most unique location I’ve raced at, aside from the many Disney races I’ve done, would have to be the one I did the past weekend at the Philadelphia Phillies stadium!

3 Heather April 3, 2012 at 10:26 am

Thanks for mentioning me girl. :) It was my third time doing it, so much fun! most beautiful course I have ever run for sure!

4 Krissy @ Shiawase Life April 3, 2012 at 10:28 am

I did the Christmastown 8K at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA! That was really fun – it had snowed the night before so snow was gently gliding around the park with all the decorations! So fun! :D

5 Lindsey April 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

My husband and I ran the Disneyland Half Marathon last September, it was so much fun and the race took us through the Angel’s Stadium which was a highlight for sure!

6 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life April 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

Oh I love that idea of running a race on the island! What a great way to check out the sights while stretching your legs off the boat :-)

7 Beka April 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

Holy moly!!! I would love to do the cruise 5k! That is such an awesome idea. I hope other cruise lines take up on that as well.
I would love to run a race in a neat/unconventional location (like the theme parks, attractions, awesome scenic areas). I think it would add so much more energy for me.

8 Cait's Plate April 3, 2012 at 10:45 am

I sadly haven’t run races anywhere really cool, but it’s definitely on my to-do list! I have a million races in mind!

9 Becca April 3, 2012 at 10:48 am

I think it woul be a blast to do a race in a tropical destination (I LOVE hot weather running) I have seen them offered through Disney and also select Royal Caribbean cruises :)

10 Tori @ In Love and Peanut Butter April 3, 2012 at 10:50 am

Thats such a good idea!

I ran the Great Santa 5k in Las Vegas last year. We all got 5 piece Santa suits. Probably the most hilarious 3 miles of my life.

11 Danielle April 3, 2012 at 10:50 am

Do you think you would have had better results with NROLFW if you ate protein? You like what you like, but the book clearly states that you need more protein and less carbs – and it’s basically common sense of any exercise regimen! Your walnuts and nut butter here count as fats, not protein. You need some yogurt or eggs or something with protein if you want to actually do the program right.

12 Meghann April 3, 2012 at 11:10 am

I ate yogurt after my NOLFW workout yesterday for an added protein boost and – in my opinion – I actually would count peanut butter as a source of protein for this morning’s breakfast, even though it was a run this morning and not a strength training session. I never said I would follow the diet plan that was associated with NROLFW, but I have made a conscious effort to up my protein with breakfast. Am I successful at this every morning? No, but I never said I was perfect either.

13 Erika@YouJustDidWhat April 3, 2012 at 10:51 am

Most interesting location would have to be on The Great Urban Race where we could map out our own route. We ended up running through rows of homeless people. At least they were cheering us on!!

14 Racheal @ Running with Racheal April 3, 2012 at 10:54 am

That looks so awesome! I want to sign up for that cruise – like yesterday. Disney World is the most fun place I have ever run, but I plan for that to change very soon! :)

15 Lena @Fit on the Rocks April 3, 2012 at 10:58 am

Since I live in Denver and wanted to run my first (and only until later this month) race in Feb, I flew out to California and ran along Huntington Beach. Taking vacation time to run a race is the easiest way to get time off from work ;)

16 Serena April 3, 2012 at 11:03 am

The 5k on a cruise would be a blast that is really cool. I am glad vacations are starting to become more health oriented.

17 Beth @ 990 Square April 3, 2012 at 11:08 am

I did the Castaway Cay 5k when I was on the Disney Dream last October (some pictures: http://www.990square.com/2011/11/wordless-wednesday-11-30-2011/) I loved it so much, I actually did the course twice (not really, I needed more miles for the day!)

The coolest race I ever ran was the Paris Breakfast run (http://www.990square.com/2011/04/the-paris-breakfast-run/), a free 5k that they do in Paris the day before the Marathon. It was a nice friendly jog through the streets of Paris that started at the base of the Eiffel Tower and finished at the Marathon Finish line right by the Arc de Triumph. It was AMAZING!

18 Meghann April 3, 2012 at 11:12 am

The Paris Breakfast Run sounds amazing!!

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 3, 2012 at 11:10 am

How cool is that?! And it’s free?? Sign me up! What an awesome idea! :)

20 Kim April 3, 2012 at 11:11 am

I’m going on a cruise in August! What a great idea to run a 5k on an island..that would be awesome! :)

21 Christine @ BookishlyB April 3, 2012 at 11:35 am

I did a full downhill half once- they bused up a huge hill and we ran down. It hurt my shins sooooooo badly!

There are some adventure cruises I’ve read about- I know one that goes to Alaska has a race somewhere near Denali.

22 Meredith April 3, 2012 at 11:37 am

I’m leaving this comment and I am subsequently unsubscribing because, I’m sorry, but I just can’t handle your foolish breakfasts any longer. Did you read the part in NROLFW where it talks about protein? You have so little protein in that breakfast!!! Eat an egg, drink a shake, do something! You would see better results from your lifting if you ate protein. I took a semester-long weight training course and one of the big focuses was nutrition. You’ve been told this by numerous readers and even a nutritionist — eat protein! Sorry to have to unsubscribe, but I can’t take your irresponsible eating-training cycle any longer.

23 Meghann April 3, 2012 at 11:52 am

I’m sorry that you feel that way, but I did not do NOLFW today and I had greek yogurt after my workout yesterday. Yes, I talked to a nutritionist in November and one of the suggestions she gave for breakfast was having an english muffin with peanut butter. I’ve also said repeatedly that I am not following the diet plan associated with NROLFW. I am trying to add more protein to my diet, but I’m also not perfect. I have greek yogurt most mornings, but not every morning.

24 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 3, 2012 at 11:45 am

The coolest location I have run a race in so far is probably just one that was right along the coast (yea, I know not *that* cool)!

I have heard there is a race here that you take a ferry out to one of the harbor islands, race, and then there is a beer festival – and the island is full of only runners! I am definitely going to try to do that one.

25 Karen @ Run Shop Travel April 3, 2012 at 11:50 am

That sounds like an awesome little race and almost makes me want to take a Disney cruise. But I don’t think I will ever take one on Disney until kids are in the picture…which is still…not for awhile!

My favorite race (though not my best) was in Newport, RI. running along the beach and all the fancy mansions. I enjoyed running the RNR Las Vegas half in 2011 but still think Newport was prettier.

26 Lisa April 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm

The 5k on Castaway Cay sounds like SO much fun! I’ve thought about doing a Disney Race but I kind of feel like those sort of vacations are for my family to enjoy and the race might take away from that. I don’t know. A 5k wouldn’t take much time though and you wouldn’t be tired after! Great idea.

27 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 3, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I ran the Detroit marathon where you run over to Canada and back (over on the bridge, back in the tunnel). It was really cool!

28 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 3, 2012 at 12:11 pm

That would be SUCH a fun 5k!!!

29 Sara J April 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Back in 2007 I went to visit a friend who was doing an internship at the Sydney Opera House in Australia. We did this race: http://www.city2surf.com.au/
It was 15k from the center of Sydney to Bondi Beach! It seemed like the whole city participated… walkers and runners everywhere! People in costumes… guys running in Speedos! Still one of the most entertaining races I’ve ever run :-)

30 Katie @ cooklaughmove April 3, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Royal Carribbean has a couple 5ks for cruisers as well!

31 Emily N April 3, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Cincinnati is not only home to the Pig, but is home to one of the biggest 10Ks in the country (more than 15K people in 2011) the Thanksgiving Day Race! This year was 102 and it was so awesome. I ran it and finished by carrying my tendonitis friend over the finish, my sister in law participated in her first 10K ever, and it was amazing

32 Carrie April 3, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I haven’t ran any exotic races yet, but I’m training for the San Francisco marathon as we speak!

33 Alison April 3, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I love English muffins for breakfast, even though I don’t eat them all that often. And what I neat idea for the cruise to offer at 5K! I like it. It promotes healthy living paired with all that delicious cruise eating. :)

34 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I’ve only been on one cruise and a race wasn’t an option. That would be a lot of fun!

I’ve never had nut butter drizzled on an orange. Very interesting! I’m going to have to try that!

35 Neha April 3, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Your breakfast looks so pretty!

36 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe April 3, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Wow, that’s neat! I’m going on a Carnival Cruise in a couple of months, and I’d love something like that!

37 AmyD April 3, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I ran a trail marathon in Mongolia and a trail ultra in New Zealand. They were both amazing!

38 Ricole Runs April 3, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I just read Heather’s recap about this – I would LOVE to do a 5k as part of a cruise – WHAT FUN! And that Mickey Mouse medal is the most adorable thing ever!