more ยป" />

Wedding: Building our Wedding Site

by Meghann on April 2, 2012

Before I got engaged, I had this vision of creating my own wedding website via WordPress. I mean, wedding websites aren’t that complicated, right? I thought I could set up the wedding website like a blog, with all of the important information separated into various pages and various updates for guests could be updated via the blog portion of the site. It was a grand plan, but after I became engaged, I knew it wasn’t going to be reality.

When it came time to actually build and create the website, I decided easier was better – and pre-designed wedding websites are definitely easier. :)

But, with so many different options out there – how do you choose?

Here’s just a handful of what I looked at – some free and some not so free.

And here is what I was looking for:

• Free!!
  • Easy to use
  • A fun template that fit our snowy theme
  • Password protected

Honestly, I wasn’t really looking for the bells and whistles. I knew we weren’t doing online RSVPs and a majority of our guests probably wouldn’t even look at the website (I love my family, but they don’t love the internet as much as I do). So, with that information in mind, I knew we could probably go with any of the (free) sites and be happy.

So which did we choose?

WeddingWire

Screen shot 2012-04-02 at 12.04.22 PM.png

Mainly because I’ve been a fan of WeddingWire from the beginning and it just made sense to use their services for this, since their my go-to for everything else anyways. I’ve seen a trend where certain brides seem to attach themselves to one of the ‘big’ wedding sites (i.e. some brides swear by The Knot, some brides love Wedding Bee, and some just cruise the blogs). Me? I loveWedding Wire. I like their reviews, I like their community, and I like that they had a snow themed wedding website template.

Screen shot 2012-04-02 at 12.03.28 PM.png

Pretty, right? ;)

Alright, so we picked a site and a template…. now what?

What information did you include on your wedding website? Or – more importantly – what are you favorite sections to read on other couple’s wedding websites?

1 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 2, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I started my wedding website through The Knot, but I never finished it. Before I was engaged, I had dreamed about my wedding website, but now that the wedding’s three months away, I just don’t have to maintain it, and we didn’t include it on our Save the Dates or invites. Oh well :).

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 2, 2012 at 1:21 pm

We had a page that had all of the bridesmaids/groomsmen/flowergirls/ring bearers listed, and we had pictures and brief explanations of how we knew each person.

We also had the story of how we met, and another story about how we got engaged. We also had some pictures from our dating history and our engagement photo shoot.

We also had a page that listed where the ceremony and reception would be and what time, and where people could stay (we had hotels reserved at a discounted rate).

And FINALLY, we had a page that listed where we were registered. This is important, since you probably won’t be putting that information on your invite! :)

3 lynne @lgsmash April 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm

where you’re registered – good idea! i think i’ll add that as soon as we get around to registering!

4 lynne @lgsmash April 2, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I actually did build mine on wordpress – very basic – because I’m not alligned with any 1 wedding site and I didn’t want a cut and dry template. http://www.lynneandalex.com

Since we’ll have some guests from out of town, I included some fun things to do around Cincinnati so friends and family who’ve never been to Cincy before can easily find something to do.

5 Julie @ There and Back Again April 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I love when couples include a section about how they met/began dating/got engaged. It’s always so fun to read – and you have pictures of everything, which would be awesome! I also think it’s nice to briefly introduce the wedding party… there are always some guests who feel like they will know no one so it’s nice to have a few familiar faces of who is important in the bride and groom’s life! Good luck – what a fun project :)

6 Lyndsi April 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I used a lot of our engagement pictures on our wedding site. Also, the more info the better for guests! We use weddingmapper.com to map out event locations as well as hotels and airports for our guests: http://www.weddingmapper.com/destin/fl/visit/0gh2dq

7 Meghann April 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm

thanks for the link! That looks like a great tool! :)

8 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep April 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I would put where you’re registered since that info doesn’t go on the invitations or shower invites.

9 Heather April 2, 2012 at 1:50 pm

engagement story, photos of the couple, bridal party, ceremony and reception details and photos, can’t wait to see!

10 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm

We’re in the process of building ours! (So similar, we picked the knot and chose a blue snowflake theme template!)

We are including the following sections (pages) to the website:

Ceremony
-Where, when, and a picture
Reception
-Where, when (including cocktail hour times), transportation from ceremony and a picture
Wedding Party
-Who – picture and brief relation to bride or groom
Our Registries
– Links to all different registries
Guest Information
-Hotel accomodations
-Things to do in the area
-Any additional information

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 2, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I’m really big on planning, so when I see someone’s wedding website, I’m looking for as many details as possible about the wedding day! This is especially important for out of town guests (which I usually am). It might be too much to add the menu, but for me that would be helpful since I can’t eat gluten or soy and it would be good to know ahead of time what I’m getting into!

12 Gavriel April 2, 2012 at 2:28 pm

We are also using WeddingWire for our wedding website. We wanted our guests to be able to get to know us better through our website, and we wanted to make our site as helpful and informative as possible. Our different pages are:

* Our story
* Bride & Groom
* Ceremony & Reception
* Calendar of Events
* Directions
* Getting to California
* Accommodations: Hotels and Rentals
* Local Activities & Restaurants
* Photo Album
* Registry
* Guest book
* Contact Us

It took us a long time to build our website, but our guests have told us consistently how much they appreciate all the thorough, detailed information. Once we revealed the site in October, it’s required monthly updates and changes. I definitely recommend having as much information as is helpful for your guests, especially if you have folks traveling from out of town.

13 Chris April 2, 2012 at 2:28 pm

We did everything electronically (STDs, invites, RSVPs) so I thought I would go full on for a wedding website as well. I used Weebly – many people on my local and month Knot board had positive things to say about it, so I tried it and loved it! I went into it with almost a journal type of attitude – like it would act as a keepsake for us. It has a ton of info on it – about us, how we met, our BP, and all the logistical stuff for the wedding.

We got lots of positive feedback on it – most people did at least check it out. And I still like to go back and look at it too, it really has almost a “moment in time” feeling for me. I am a huge journaler, so it is nice to have a record of all this stuff in addition to everything I wrote in my journal (which mostly focuses on me and my feelings about getting married, blah blah versus all the fun stuff captured on the website).

I found it really helpful to look at other people’s websites when I was working on ours, so here is a link if you are so inclined:

14 Brittany January 22, 2014 at 1:15 pm

This is very helpful, thanks for sharing! I’m getting ready to make our wedding site on weebly so it’s great so see other people have done the same.

15 Amanda April 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm

We’re getting married in November and I’m using weddingwire, too! We put our website information on our save the dates so people can refer to it, and we’ve been gradually adding information. So far we have: our story, details about the place and time of the ceremony and reception including addresses, our hotel block information, and a guest book. We’ll be adding our registry information, directions, etc. Not sure how in depth I want to go with info about the bridal party, etc.

16 Sarah April 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I most commonly go to wedding websites to see where people are registered. Since it’s a big etiquette no-no to put registry information on your invitation, it makes perfect sense that it’s on the website!

17 Katie @ cooklaughmove April 2, 2012 at 2:58 pm

A friend’s site had 100 words about Emily by Jon and 100 words about Jon by Emily, where they each wrote a couple paragraphs about each other. It was funny and sweet to read!

18 Claire April 2, 2012 at 3:08 pm

We had a section that listed the wedding party, the details of the wedding/reception, a section of just pictures, our engagement story, a little section about the honeymoon, and a section for comments. Because I didn’t blog at the time, I also added a page where I posted updates on the wedding planning process.

I love reading about people’s engagement story, their relationship background (ie: how they met, ect), and seeing pictures of the couple. Especially for ones that maybe I don’t know one part of the couple as well, or if they are for instance my husband’s family or friends I am not as familiar with.

I am not sure how much our guests actually used the page, but it was fun to create and just another aspect of the wedding planning process I didn’t want to do without. I will say I loved the comments section! It was a fun way for family and friends to leave well wishes before the big day!

19 Sarah April 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm

check out Shutterfly’s wedding website/photo sharing page. I am using My Wedding to host our main site, but have links to the shutterfly page. The biggest perks are that your guests can upload photos to the site or just e-mail them to an e-mail address. I talk about it here: http://www.goingongoals.com/2012/03/there-is-app-for-that.html

20 Carrie April 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Most of our guests were from out of town, so we had info about the hotel and how to reserve a room and get the group rate, as well as driving directions, info about the city and things to do, other options for hotels (that were cheaper), a place to online RSVP, and a bit of info about the wedding party.

21 Victoria Runs April 2, 2012 at 3:51 pm

We had a site and since ours was out of town for a lot of people we included; the Welcome Dinner information and Sunday Brunch (even though they got a formal invite in the mail– but more for the pre-planners), local information, hotel block info, photos of us, our story, transportation (since we were providing it to the wedding and reception), and our registry. Some people used the site, most people my parents age did not. We sent out welcome packets about a month before the wedding and had welcome bags with the information (again) in their hotel rooms. Use your engagement photos!!! :)

22 Matt April 2, 2012 at 8:01 pm

We used http://www.besideyouforever.com and loved everything! I thought they were much better than the others out there.

23 Matt April 2, 2012 at 8:02 pm

24 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 2, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Aww fun! I started mine when I was engaged and then just didnt keep up with it. Im going to a wedding in NY in May and the hotel info was really really helpful. It kept me from guessing: Is this the right Marriott? :)

25 Emily N April 3, 2012 at 9:08 am

We had one, but it was more because I made it and felt like making it. I posted it on my facebook, but that was it… I would say it got visitors when people sought it out.

At the same time, you are a presence online, and people know to look for that from you! :-)

26 Kelly April 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Personally I like more of the functional stuff, i.e. all the details of the wedding as well as restaurant and activity suggestions for those who are from out of town and want to make the weekend more of a vacation.

27 Kimmy May 22, 2012 at 3:02 am

We used EngagementList.com! Such a great resource. Honestly, it does so much and it’s completely free to use. Using Engagement List for our wedding website was a great choice because they have great designs and you can build an RSVP list completely free online instead of having to use Facebook events or groups!