more ยป" />

The Beach House

by Meghann on March 31, 2012

My view this afternoon.

Every long run should end with a day at the beach, no? ;)

Derek and I escaped to his grandfather’s beach house for the weekend. It’s rare that we’re both free for the weekend, so we decided to take advantage of it with a little beach adventure. Also, the beach house has special meaning to us since it’s where our relationship began in 2009. It was Valentine’s weekend, I was visiting as a friend, and Derek randomly whisked me away to the beach with his family. On the way home he confessed his true feelings and now, three years later, we’re planning our wedding. :) (I even blogged about the visit HERE, but – fun fact – I didn’t officially refer to Derek as my boyfriend on the blog for a few months after that.)

We stopped for supplies at Publix on the way down and I got a spicy turkey sub on wheat with provolone cheese, spicy mustard, and veggies.

I also had some handfuls of jalapeno pretzels.

Can you tell I like spicy things?

When we made it to the beach house I had one of the chocolate sugar cookies from our stash.

The beach was perfect. It’s only accessible to guests and residents of the small island, so on a bad day you’re still a good hundred feet from your closest lounging neighbor. awww…. paradise.

Derek and I grabbed a couple of chairs and proceeded to pass out for the next couple of hours. Don’t worry – we loaded up (and reloaded up!) on the sunscreen!

It was only when some nasty clouds began to roll in that we decided to call it quits and head back to the condo. Derek had to literally force me off of that chair. Even with the bad clouds, I didn’t want to leave!

I had some apple slices upon our return

Doesn’t Maddie look so happy to be on a mini vacay?

My favorite – Cigar City Maduro. Yum.

Dinner tonight came courtesy of our stop at Publix earlier in the day. Since the only restaurant on the island is a bit overpriced, we had to make sure we came on the island with all the supplies we needed for three meals over two days. I kept it easy by going the burger route for dinner. I grabbed two pre-made bacon and cheddar beef patties, two whole wheat kaiser rolls, a bag of frozen sweet potato fries, a bag of frozen veggies, and a bottle ketchup for good measure. Easy. Peasy.

I was definitely missing my greens on the burger, but the simplistic route worked well. And the pre-made bacon cheddar beef patty? Holy yum. I would buy that again in a heartbeat!

The view during dinner wasn’t that bad either. ;)

After dinner we enjoyed an evening walk on the beach.

And discovered this.

Ice cream!

Peanut butter cup deliciousness. :)

Guess who’s sleeping in tomorrow? This girl.

Good Night!

1 Shannon March 31, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I wouldn’t have wanted to leave that chair either! Especially if I ran 19 MILES that morning. You deserve that ice cream and a nice day of sleeping in tomorrow! Enjoy your weekend!

2 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 31, 2012 at 9:40 pm

If only every long run was followed by a relaxing day at the beach. And ice cream!

Summer can’t get here fast enough!

3 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife March 31, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Sounds like an amazing reward (especially for 19 miles)!! I’m so jealous! It is definitely not that warm up here in Boston.

4 Carrie March 31, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Wow what a great day! You’re right, every long run day should be like this. Sounds so perfect!

5 Serena March 31, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I’m slightly jealous I’ll admit that! Great day!

6 Becca March 31, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Oh how I wish I was there!!! Sleeping on the beach after a good workout sounds so amazing :) I LOVE beach vacations more than anything. Have a great weekend!

7 Britt @ Run with Britt March 31, 2012 at 11:22 pm

If only every long run could end with a trip to the beach. It looks like paradise!

8 JennyV March 31, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Beach? Ice cream? Say no more!

Did you know that coconut oil can be used as a natural sunscreen?? Many sunblocks on the market can actually cause more harm than do good.

9 Hannah April 1, 2012 at 2:21 am

Hi Meghann! I love palm island – my parents live on boca grande. Last time I was there we found dozens of sand dollars. Really awesome shelling! Have fun :)

10 Joyce @ Jranola Joyce April 1, 2012 at 6:21 am

Looks like a wonderful day :D

11 Kathy April 1, 2012 at 7:46 am

It always looks like you have the most fun life…..is it your age? no kids yet? bubbly personality? just lucky? Whatever…you seem to be a magnet for happiness… ;-) At least it makes me happy.

12 Meghann April 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Ha! thank you. :) I decided a long time ago not to let life pass me by, so I try to live up every minute of it that I can. :)

13 allpointswhole April 1, 2012 at 8:55 am

The beach looks fabulous! Enjoy!

14 Niki@justrunninwithit April 1, 2012 at 9:19 am

You are so good having frozen veggies with your burger after a long run, I would be all about the fries. Haha.

15 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 1, 2012 at 9:22 am

That burger looks amazing. I normally dont go for the pre-made ones but I might make an exception there! :D

16 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 1, 2012 at 9:29 am

What a fun day, I’m so jealous that you’re so close to the beach!!

I love spicy food too, I think I saw that Wheat Thins just came out with a jalapeno and a buffalo flavor, yum!

17 Chelsea April 1, 2012 at 10:53 am

What I would give to be on the beach right now….enjoy every minute of it!

18 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third April 1, 2012 at 1:10 pm

That looks like the perfect day!!! :)

19 Ashley April 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Wow that looks so great! Makes me want to live in a hotter climate. It snowed today! I had a question: do you have scheduled days off for working out? Or do you see how your body feels? Do you have any tips for this? I bet you have addressed this I just struggle with this sometimes. Thanks so much! I always enjoy reading your blog!

20 Meghann April 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I try to get some sort of movement in everyday, but I do have scheduled days off built into my training plan. For instance, this morning I slept in and just took Maddie on a few walks on the beach to get my ‘movement’ in for the day.

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 1, 2012 at 2:04 pm

AHHHH enjoy!! :)

22 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness April 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Ahhh!!!! So nice!!! Hope you’re enjoying the beach today :)

23 Rachel April 1, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I was drinking Cigar City Maduro at Tampa Twilight yesterday & again with lunch today. It’s so good! I ate at Taco Bus last night, best burrito ever! I’ll have to come back just for that. Glad y’all had nice relaxing weekend, but I missed your company at the races. Eric crashed, but still managed to get 9th of 44!

24 Meghann April 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I’m sad I missed seeing you guys too! And I heard about Eric’s crash – I hope he’s ok! There’s a tiny chance we’ll be in Titusville for Easter – will you guys be around?

25 BroccoliHut April 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm

So jealous of your mini vacay! I would love some beach time right about NOW.
Love the pictures of Maddie–she looks like she’s in heaven :)

26 Meghann April 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Maddie LOVES the beach – it’s her favorite place. And I love taking her to the beach because now she’s passed out on the couch, not moving. The beach is the best way to wear her out. :)

27 Emily N April 2, 2012 at 10:23 am

Ahhh… that chair and that sunshine probably felt awesome… Is the ocean still a little chilly?

28 Meghann April 2, 2012 at 10:29 am

It wasn’t bad. We’ve had a really warm winter down here, so the ocean has remained relatively warm. Of course, Florida’s beaches are notoriously warmer than the water you’ll find in the northeast or along the coast in California.