19 miles before 9:00am

by Meghann on March 31, 2012

Boom!

Now where’s the beach?! ;)

My alarm was set for 5:00am this morning. I informed Derek of this fact before I went to bed last night and he told me I was crazy. Runners… We’re a special breed. ;) Of course, I can call him crazy too. I found him lightly snoring on the couch with the Wii remote still in his hand at 5:00am. No word yet on how long he had been in that position, but I made sure he found his way to the bed before I set off for the run.

I wanted to get my run in early because Derek and I had plans to head to his grandfather’s beach house as soon as I finished. That was my motivation – when ever the run got tough, I just told myself that the faster I finished, the faster I would be on my way to the beach. ;)

I took Maddie out, had a piece of toast with almond butter and fresh strawberries, prepared my water bottle with Gu Brew, and gave myself a mini pep talk, “19 miles? pshh… you’ve got this.” Gulp.

I had mapped out a route around my neighborhood the night before. I love driving to new places and trails for runs, but sometimes it’s just easier to leave right from my front door, especially if it’s just me. I know these roads better that any other roads, so if I got lost, I know it’s not difficult to find my way back.

However, I did have to get a bit creative to make the 19 miles work. I started with an over-exaggerated loop around my neighborhood, then branched out to Maddie’s favorite 3 mile out and back before looping back around to a few of the neighboring neighborhoods then to a main road and loops around even more neighborhoods. There were lots of mini loops, out and backs, and random stretches to fit the distance in, but I made it work.

There’s no way around it, 19 miles is a loonnggg way so – to keep myself in the game mentally – I like to assign mini goals for the run.

First goal: Reach the water fountain at mile 7.

I refilled my water bottle and had the first two Shot Bloks.

Second goal: Find a bathroom at mile 11.

This was an impromptu goal. I missed a turn at one point and really had to go. Missing the turn ended up being a blessing in disguise – I was able to spot a Wal-Mart I wouldn’t have seen otherwise. I really, really needed that Wal-Mart. The bathrooms were great, but the water fountain was broken and I couldn’t refill my water bottle. I had about half of my water bottle left and 4 miles until I knew I would see another water fountain.

Third goal: Fuel at mile 13

I took two more Shot Bloks. 13 down, 6 more to go.

Fourth goal: Stop at Publix for water at mile 15

This particular Publix doesn’t open until 8:00am (does anyone else find this kinda late for a grocery store?). Originally I was afraid my timing would be off and I would arrive before they opened (it’s happened before), but thanks to my missed turn from earlier, I was right on time. Publixes make the best pit stops during runs – the water fountains are always cold and the bathrooms are always clean. I refilled my bottle and was on my way.

Fifth goal: FInish

My last 4 miles were actually my fastest miles from all 19. Maybe because I was so excited to be on my way back? These are also the miles I’m the most familiar with and know exactly what to expect and where to expect it. I kept checking off certain landmarks as I passed them ” OK, there’s the 4-way stop sign, that means I’m exactly 2.75 miles from home” I do this during ALL my runs. I can tell you the exact distance from my driveway to the house with the funny yellow door or to the big tree at my favorite turn.

Final Distance: 19 miles

Time: 2:52:57

Pace: 9:06 <- Sweet!

I returned a hot, sweaty mess.

A very happy hot, sweaty mess. :)

Breakfast time!

Post-run oatmeal:

• 2 packets instant oatmeal
  • hot water
  • raisins
  • honey peanut butter
  • Kashi Go Lean Crunch

Derek came up behind me as I was making breakfast to give me a hug, but quickly backed off when he felt how sweaty I was. I like to get home and go right to FOOD. The shower can wait until I have a full belly. :)

19 miles. Done.

Breakfast. Done.

Shower. Done.

Can we go to the beach now?!?!

We’re on our way! ;)

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 31, 2012 at 1:00 pm

That’s an amazing pace! Also, something I thought of, you could have filled your water bottle from the sinks in the walmart bathroom if the fountain wasn’t working!

2 Emily @ The Swallow Flies March 31, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I am so impressed that you ran 19 miles on your own. Whenever I’ve had long runs, I’ve always been with a group, which makes it much easier to entertain myself. I find it difficult (and a lot less motivating) to be alone. Kudos to you! And now, have a blast at the beach!

3 Army Amy* March 31, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Way to go! 19 miles solo is hardcore! I think it helps to break down really long runs into little chunks like that. If I think about the full distance, I get overwhelmed.*

4 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 31, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Awesome job! I get in the mind frame of the faster you run the sooner you’ll be done and that works great. For some reason I’ve never boinked!

How do you like Shot Bloks? I tried them for the first time a couple of weeks ago and the tummy was not happy!

Enjoy the beach! After 19 miles you deserve to veg!

5 Michelle March 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm

WOW! So impressive. I just started my marathon training and I really want to bang out the big runs early, but I am always questioning whether it is too dark outside that early. Any tips? Do you wear reflective gear or something?

6 Meghann March 31, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I have a headlight that I wear. I also run with my phone and have reflective strips on my shoes. All of the roads I run on have sidewalks, if they didn’t I’m not sure if I would feel safe running on them in the dark.

7 Becca March 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Wow! Way to go :) that sounds like a fantastic run! Now you get to go and relax at the beach. The smoothie you made sounds delicious. Have a great time relaxing in the sunshine!!

8 Socal Rachel March 31, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Great job rock star! Wish I had the motivation to get my runs out of the way that early. I’m still waiting for some sun before I do 9 miles this morning.

9 Rachel March 31, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Have fun at the beach. The food trucks & I will miss you downtown. :)

10 Hollie March 31, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Amazing! You’re such an inspiration! I’ve been following you since February when I started trying to blog and started trying to run.

11 Carrie March 31, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Wow, that’s awesome!
I also like to eat before I shower. My husband thinks it’s disgusting but whatever, I am SO HUNGRY.
Hope you had a great day at the beach, you certainly deserve it after that run.

12 Lindsay March 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm

That sounds like an awesome run! Your right, us runners are a special breed ;) great job on the 19miles! I’m right there with you post run going right to FOOD .. Everything else can wait :)

13 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Congrats on another awesome run!! 19 miles is nooo joke!! I did 8 this morning and I was done-zo by the end … it was an off day! But at least I still did it! :)

14 Kaitlyn @ Pain Can Be Fun March 31, 2012 at 1:49 pm

CONGRATS on the awesome run! What a way to start your day :) Enjoy the beach!

15 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 31, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Nice job!

16 Sneakers2Sandals March 31, 2012 at 2:10 pm

This post is too cute! I love the purple running top, you look so cute and happy after your run, I see no sweaty messes :)

I can’t get over how cute Maddie is.

17 Serena March 31, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Great Run!

18 Sana March 31, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Have a great time at the beach :)

19 Megan @ RunningAimlessly.com March 31, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Nice!!! It’s great to have your run out of the way early in the day. Now if I could only summon the energy to run 10 miles… and it’s almost noon :P

20 Kat @ Balance & Spice March 31, 2012 at 2:31 pm

19 miles – that’s fantastic! I’m just starting to train for a half-marathon in August, and our “long run” of the day was 2 miles. Still, feels great to be training for something and putting feet on the pavement.

21 Meghann March 31, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I remember when my long runs were 2 miles :) Good luck with training!

22 allpointswhole March 31, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Great, great job!!

23 Debra March 31, 2012 at 2:40 pm

You are my idol. I started running last July. I hope to be running 19 miles one day. I am doing a 7 mile long run this evening. Even at only 7 miles I won’t be able to keep your pace…..baby steps. :)

24 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 31, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Great run!! I usually do mini loops (or smaller loops surrounded by bigger loops for variation) to get the distance in too. I think it’s much harder mentally to run loops too because you’re constantly approaching you’re stopping point. It makes for good mental training for marathoning :)

Enjoy the beach!

25 Niki@justrunninwithit March 31, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Congrats on the 19 miler, I’m too scared to sign up for the Flying Pig Marathon because of the hills! I wish I was running a spring marathon, miss training for something! Enjoy the breach it’s raining and cold here in good ole ny

26 Hillary March 31, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Gurrrl, you are a rockstar. Enjoy the beach; you earned it!

27 Christie March 31, 2012 at 3:49 pm

What an awesome pace for such a long run! You have amazing motivation :)

Have a fabulous day at the beach!

28 Part Time House Wife March 31, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I’m jealous of your motivation… I had it all summer last year… this spring not so much. I barely made it through an hour of yoga today! lol

29 Laura March 31, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Great run!! I ran 18 this AM and had my oatmeal after as well……but no beaches around here in the Northeast! Jealous! Have a great day

30 Beka March 31, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Awesome job!! I really like that purple top!

31 Emily March 31, 2012 at 6:24 pm

That top is super cute, it it one of those Moving Comfort one-piece dealys?

Is this your longest run on your plan, or are you doing a 20+ miler?

32 Meghann March 31, 2012 at 9:29 pm

It’s a Champion top from Target. I have it in every color – LOVE it!

33 Caitlin @ Chasing A Mile April 1, 2012 at 11:12 am

I love that top too! I am going to go check out Target!

34 Meghann March 31, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Oh! And I have 21 miles to run in two weeks! :)

35 Theodora March 31, 2012 at 7:11 pm

What an awesome pace!

36 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 31, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Nice job on the 19 miles by yourself! That is totally impressive for sure!

37 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride March 31, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Amazing pace and amazing motivation to get out and run 19 miles at 5am! I woke up to run and heard the cold windy rain and went right back to bed…

38 Cait's Plate March 31, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Way to go lady!! No better way to kick off a Saturday!

39 Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf March 31, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Awesome run!! Hopefully tomorrow will be a smooth day on recovery if you keep yourself mobile. :) I am down here in FL this week, myself and am looking at 20 in the morning — I think I might do some road, some beach but my first 8-miler this morning was pretty warm. I kinda got spanked. Oh, well, still looking forward to it in the morning! Hope you had a great beach day!

40 BroccoliHut March 31, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Major congrats, girl! I loved reading your mini-goals to get through the distance–that’s such a great strategy!
PS Love your cute snowflake breakfast set :)

41 Shannon March 31, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Great dedication!!! Not only is running 19 miles daunting, but waking up at 5am is definitely an accomplishment! Go Meghann!

42 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama April 1, 2012 at 2:36 am

Holy crap! You are pretty much a rockstar!!! Way to go on the mileage!

43 Karen April 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm

great job on the 19 miles solo…I checked 7 off which is the longest ever for me and am working my way up to a half in May, I can’t imagine 19 solo!
Also where did you get that pinkish tank top…I love that it’s not tight around the torso and am always on the hunt for that style

44 Meghann April 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm

It’s Champion brand from Target. I have it in 4 colors – LOVE it :)

45 Coco April 1, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Sweet! Great job! I need to eat as soon as I’m done with a workout for sure- need to feed those ripped out muscles!

46 Emily N April 2, 2012 at 11:00 am

Great job getting your 19 in! What is your pace goal overall for the Pig? I am sure you have posted it, but I cannot remember.

47 Meghann April 2, 2012 at 11:34 am

My goal pace for Flying Pig is 8:55 min/mi. <– eeekkk

48 SpaceySteph April 4, 2012 at 10:55 am

Florida raised, live in Texas now. I didn’t really start running outside until I moved to Texas, but on a recent trip back home I ran near my parents house and stopped into Publix for a bathroom and water break. My boyfriend thought I was crazy. So awesome. Yet another of my long list of reasons that Publix is the best grocery store ever.