Sweets

Let’s see…

Gym.

Treadmill.

NROLFW 7-3.

Home.

Food.

When we were at the Parkesdale Farm Market yesterday I almost didn’t buy a loaf of the strawberry swirl bread because – as I told I Diana – I knew I was just going to end up eating the whole loaf by myself (Derek isn’t a big sweet bread/cake/cupcake eater unless it’s chocolate). Diana told me it was a big ditto on her end, she was buying a loaf of strawberry bread and predicted that she was the only one that was going to eat it. What’s with our guys not digging the sweet stuff?

I ended up going back for the bread last minute because it really did look good and I wanted to try it. If Derek ate any, great. If not, I’ll just make sure the enjoy every bite.

I pulled the strawberry swirl out for breakfast and had a couple of slices with a drizzle of almond butter. I had placed the bread under the broiler for a few minutes to warm it up and give it a little toast. Wow. Warm strawberry bread is really the way to go. ;)

I sliced up a golden delicious apple on the side

with a PB2 dip

mmmm….. ;)

Is your significant other a sweets lover or do you find that you’re the one that ends up finishing off the baked goods? Or is it the opposite?

I LOVE desserts – ALL desserts – but Derek believes dessert should be chocolate and chocolate only. Anything fruit themed doesn’t count. Those mango cupcakes I made on Sunday? He didn’t touch them. But the Moose Tracks Ice Cream in the freezer? He finished the container last night.

1 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete March 29, 2012 at 10:31 am

Nate never eats sweets – but I think you know that by now. His only exceptions are chocolate chip cookies and brownies. He hates ice cream. I’m not sure he’s human.

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns March 29, 2012 at 10:32 am

My husband SAYS he’s not really in to sweets, but that’s a total lie. He can polish off a pan of brownies like I’ve never seen! I’m also a sweets-lover, but don’t eat them too much. Or so I say… :)

3 Erin March 29, 2012 at 10:34 am

Haha I wish I had the same viewpoint on desserts as Derek! But my boyfriend and I tend to think that any dessert is a delicious. We tend to alternate over taking the last bite of cake, chocolate, ice cream etc.

4 Cait's Plate March 29, 2012 at 10:34 am

I think anything sweet can be a dessert – especially fruit in cupcake form! I think my significant other has the same take on things…

That strawberry bread sounds PHENOMENAL!

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 29, 2012 at 10:35 am

I am a HUGE sweet lover! Anything sweet is good by me!

6 Beka March 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

I LOVE everything sugary.
Mike on the other hand eats sweets very rarely and not in huge servings like I do unless it is Craig’s Crazy Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory or an entire tub of ice cream.

7 Kate March 29, 2012 at 10:52 am

I always polish off the baked goods!!

8 Kathy March 29, 2012 at 10:52 am

At the beginning hubby wasn’t a big sweet eater….loved his sugar cookies only. Now, I have him requesting we go to DQ for a blizzard and HE and the kids come home with Little Debbie Snack Cakes, licorice and jelly beans waaaay more often than I ever do. (Pure junk food bliss….No wonder why the kids request DAD does the shopping more than I…ha!)

9 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 29, 2012 at 10:56 am

I love desserts so much! They are my weakness and favorite part to any meal. :) My fiance has recently taken on my sweet tooth as well and is broadening his horizons with desserts and not just eating chocolate and chocolate flavored foods.

10 clare @ fittingitallin March 29, 2012 at 10:57 am

My boyfriend is a huge chocolate fan! he likes a variety of desserts, but can go to TOWN on Trader Joe’s chocolate PB cups

11 Sarah @BlondeBostonian March 29, 2012 at 11:00 am

My boyfriend HATES chocolate. When we first started dating and he told me, I think I might have second guessed my choice in boyfriends for a second. haha *kidding*. But seriously – who hates chocolate!!??! We both have a pretty big sweet tooth though. We both love fruit-based deserts. He would eat all that strawberry bread in a second.

12 Lindsey March 29, 2012 at 11:01 am

We both love sweets (thank god!) but my husband eats them up way faster than me! I am always having to tell him to save me some!

13 Emily N March 29, 2012 at 11:02 am

We are different… I am a salty gal, and he needs to end a meal with something sweet (+ loves chocolate, and I need to be in the right place for that!)

14 Heather March 29, 2012 at 11:06 am

My husband I are both Sweets lovers. I like just about anything, and he likes anything that is not too fruity (like cherry pie). It is good and bad. If I make or buy something, we both eat it, but neither one of us is good about saying no. I try to practice moderation and run a lot.

Enjoy the strawberry bread. It looks great and that farmers market looks really cute. I’ll have to keep that in mind for one of our next trips to FL, or when we move back.

15 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride March 29, 2012 at 11:12 am

My fiance and I both love sweets. Only he has the self-control to say no to too many sweets or pass on dessert. I *always* have room for dessert!

16 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe March 29, 2012 at 11:26 am

Opposite here – I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, but Aaron does. He loves Skittles more than anyone I know.

17 sally kate March 29, 2012 at 11:26 am

My boyfriend, hates sweets except in small small quantities. Then he gets upset when I eat all of his secret chocolate stash when he hadn’t revisited it in a month! Ya’ll could split the bread next time if you want to try a sweet bread but don’t want the whole loaf sitting around the house!

18 Sarah March 29, 2012 at 11:49 am

My husband is SO annoying about desserts. He always has to have something for dessert, but once he’s had one or two bites, he’s tired of it. So for example, I’ll make a batch of cookies, he’ll have a couple and then I end up finishing them over the next few days. Ugh!

19 Hillary March 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm

My bf says the same thing about dessert. Carrot cake doesn’t count as dessert because it’s not chocolate. That is his actual rationale. I think it’s hilarious.

20 Peggy March 29, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I definitely have more of a sweet tooth than my boyfriend, but we’re both in the chocolate only camp. Fruit desserts make me irrationally angry–like, if I want something fruity, I’ll just eat fruit and save the fat/sugar/calories. But if I want dessert, I want dessert–and fruit just gets in the way of the good stuff! (Gummy bears don’t count, obviously.. :) )

21 Allison March 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm

For the most part no dessert is off limits for us. Ever.

22 Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers March 29, 2012 at 12:25 pm

So funny that you asked about my sweetie’s and my love of sweets! ;) Usually when there’s good food around I have to grab some right away or he’ll finish it off. Sometimes that’s okay for me, since I have a huge sweet tooth–I made caramel rolls for us last night (recipe is in the link to my blog below) and they’re a little addictive!

23 Kate March 29, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Totally better to have a day of the week fail in that direction then to say “Happy Friday!”

24 RunEatRepeat March 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I like all sweets, but chocolate has to be involved for it to be DESSERT. A piece of strawberry bread is just a treat. So, I still get to have dessert after that ;)

25 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 29, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I am ALL about good chocolate (Swiss, dark, sea salt caramel), and ICE cream and fro yo. I pass on cupcakes, cake, and most sweet breads and cream puffs.

26 Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free March 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm

My husband loves, loves, loves all desserts. I’m fact, he has made the best cakes and cheesecake I’ve ever had, even before he went to culinary school! I prefer custard desserts, fruity desserts, and all things chocolate. Since I have to be gluten-free, it’s easy to pass on desserts when I’m out, but I am a sucker for good creme brûlée!

27 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm

You should have just told him they’re mango MUFFINS! ;)

28 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm

My boyfriend loves cupcakes and certain sweets but there are lot of things he won’t eat like healthified oatmeal cookies or baked goods. So if I make something healthified he won’t eat it and I end up eating all of it and if I make something more traditional I still end up eating some of it. There’s no winning for me :P

29 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 29, 2012 at 1:33 pm

My hubby has a sweet tooth but it’s mostly ice cream, cakes, and cookies. If I make muffins or fruit bread, he rarely touches it. I don’t discriminate. I love it all!

30 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Brandon eats dessert and sweet things, but not nearly as often as I do. He can take it or leave it … whereas I seem to NEVER be able to “leave it!” ;)

31 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness March 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm

There is only one week a month where I want sweets, the rest of the time I won’t eat it. My husband thinks every meal deserves dessert.

32 Jaclyn March 29, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I always end up eating all the desserts in the house – chocolate, sweet breads, etc. It’s all yummy to me.

Also, I keep hearing about PB2. What is it?

33 Meghann March 29, 2012 at 3:43 pm

It’s basically powdered peanut butter http://amzn.to/HoKHH9 :)

34 Alison March 29, 2012 at 3:16 pm

My husband loves sweet stuff but very different stuff than me. He loves candy, I love chocolate. We both like cake-y stuff, but he hates anything lemon or citrus, and again, I’d just rather eat something chocolate, but I’m open to all sweet cakes. :)

35 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 29, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Any guy I’ve ever dated has been the same way.. what is UP with that?!

36 Ricole Runs March 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I seriously LOVE sweets. It’s ridiculous. But my husband is the same way. He can say no to sweets all day long, but loves chips instead. I like chips just fine but can easily say no to those, not to Cadbury eggs!

37 Erika March 29, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Yummy!! I am a sweets fan, but my husband, not so much!! If chocolate is in the house, it does not last!!

38 Meredith March 29, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Hey, I don’t want to be overly critical but your breakfast does not have nearly enough protein. You had just spent time on the treadmill and weight lifting, the latter of which requires a good amount of protein be put back into your system within 30-45 minutes after exercise for optimal recovery. In fact my weight lifting coach told me you don’t bother eating a good balance of protein and carbohydrates after lifting, then you may as well not work out. I have PB2 so I know that, unless you mixed it with some crazy high protein Kefir or secret high protein milk, you are getting probably 7g of protein max in that breakfast (apples don’t have any protein and that bread has maybe 2g). I don’t want to be all high and mighty, but you are damaging your body by not feeding it properly. I know that a nutritionist has told you to cut the carbs and add more protein. Bread and fruit = carbs. Oatmeal does have some protein, but you should really try having some eggs, Greek yogurt, or just mixing protein powder into your breakfasts. Down the road you could end up seriously hurting yourself and I doubt you want that since your entire blog identity is about athleticism. Just my 2 cents.

39 Kat March 31, 2012 at 4:08 am

Was that plate of food your post NROLFW meal?!