Like Crazy

by Meghann on March 29, 2012

I’ve been on a roll with Netflix this week.

Last night Derek and I finished My Week with Marilyn

My_Week_with_Marilyn_Poster.jpg

I thought the storyline could have used a bit more juice to it, but Michelle Williams made a fabulous Marilyn. The movie was based off the memoirs by Colin Clark, which document his time on the set of The Prince and The Showgirl and his relationship with Marilyn Monroe. Going into the movie I thought the relationship would be a little more scandalous, but it all seemed a bit innocent and more of an intimate friendship than anything else.

The movie was beautifully filmed and directed and somewhat inspired me to read one of the memoirs Colin wrote for a deeper look into his feelings at the time. I stayed up way too late last night reading Marilyn Monroe’s wikipedia page. She definitely led a fascinating life.

Like Crazy came in the mail today and I popped it in while I was making dinner.

Like_Crazy.jpg

Such a sad, sad movie with an even sadder ending. The movie follows the relationship of a young couple who are separated when the girl violates her visa and is sent back to London. I wasn’t expecting the characters to pull me in, but they did. I could feel their pain and i could feel their happiness. Derek thought the movie was slow, but I thought it was great. It definitely takes the emotional approach with reeling their audience in.

Seen any great movies lately? Any new ones to add to my NetFlix queue? ;)

I spent the afternoon working in Starbucks and had a snack of mixed nuts and dried fruit around 3:30.

I also sampled their Caramel Frappuchino.

I love their mini sample cups. Adorable!

Yesterday Xiomara handed us goody bags at Parkesdale Farm Market. In the goodie bags were some local hot sauces, strawberry preserves, and Gator Sprinkle.

IMG_1378.jpg IMG_1380.jpg

I read the label and it said the seasoning works for alligator, poultry, and seafood. hmm….. I’m sure they meant to include tofu on their too. Either way, I wanted to give it a try. ;)

Good news – it worked. ;)

I seasoned the tofu with the Gator Sprinkle and baked it at 375 for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Then added a little bbq sauce once I plated it.

The Gator Sprinkle reminded me of Old Bay and was pretty heavy on the salt. It worked well on the roasted potatoes too.

The brussels sprouts were steamed and a bag and simply seasoned with a little salt.

I dug in the freezer and found two Girl Scout Tag-A-Longs for dessert.

And so another day comes to an end.

Good Night!

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 29, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Since I don’t have a TV I just do netflix instant, which is great for TV shows!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

2 Sana March 29, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I <3 free samples!
Sana recently posted..Avocado Chickpea And Watercress Salad

3 Dione March 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I just watched Mao’s Last Dancer on netflix last weekend. Loved it. A beautiful true story. I cried for the last 15 to 20 minutes. And the actor who plays Li is a ballet dancer in real life and is some pretty eye candy to boot:)

4 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 29, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I need good movie recs, too. I’m always so behind on movies. I saw The Hunger Games in theaters this past weekend, but I don’t remember the last movie I sat down and watched in a theater or at home. Sad…
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Revenge of My Lunch

5 Christine @ BookishlyB March 29, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I watched the documentary Young @ Heart the other day and loved it so much. Old people that sing rock songs.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Document This- Food, Yoga and Old People

6 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 29, 2012 at 11:18 pm

That last movie sounds so good! I’m a sucker for the sad ones…
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Picture Overload

7 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 29, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I just watched Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. It was so good but definitely difficult to watch at times.
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Midweek Recap

8 Betsy March 29, 2012 at 11:55 pm

You know, the most interesting thing about ‘Like Crazy’ was how it was made! Apparently, it was filmed on a DSLR for around $250,000 (which is nothing, in terms of movie budgets), most of the dialog was improvised, and all there were no sets (like, the apartment was a real apartment).

Also, Katniss!!

9 Meghann March 30, 2012 at 8:37 am

I read that! They shot it with a Canon 7D and I like how the dialog was improvised because it felt more real that way.

10 Carrie March 30, 2012 at 2:05 am

Oooh, My Week with Marilyn sounds like something I should check out on Netflix!
Carrie recently posted..Recipe: Carrot Fries

11 Haleigh March 30, 2012 at 2:17 am

I was really looking forward to my week with Marilyn. I thought that Michelle Williams did an amazing job as Marilyn, but I thought that the movie was lacking that special something.
Haleigh recently posted..Goat Cheese Salad

12 Meghann March 30, 2012 at 10:01 am

Agree! SO much potential, but no follow through.

13 Sara@RunningInPinkProject March 30, 2012 at 6:38 am

Randomly, I saw two movies last weekend but they were both still *at* the movies- Hunger Games and 21 Jump Street. :) The last DVD I watched was the copy of Breaking Dawn Part I my husband gave me with my Birthday gifts. :)
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Run For Your Lives

14 Meghann March 30, 2012 at 10:01 am

I think 21 Jump Street looks like a fun one to rent later. How was it?

15 Sara@RunningInPinkProject March 30, 2012 at 2:26 pm

It was fun! I really enjoyed it but if youre easily offended by language dont watch it. ;) It cracked me up though and Im certainly not complaining about the man candy that is Channing Tatum either. Whew!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Run For Your Lives

16 Rebecca March 30, 2012 at 6:46 am

If you love hot sauce gator hammock is one of the best!!

17 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 30, 2012 at 6:59 am

I just watched both “Food Inc.” and “Forks over Knives” on Netflix within the past couple of weeks. I know I’m late on the bus to see those movies, but wow, were they eye-opening!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Guest Post: So you want to bake your own bread …

18 Hillary March 30, 2012 at 7:14 am

I LOVED Like Crazy. I’m sure it doesn’t hurt that I’m in an LDR and could relate to a lot of the conflict between the characters (my boyfriend and I watched it together and had to laugh when they had a heated conversation that was nearly word-for-word a conversation we had last year. It was uncanny). It also made me feel WAYYY better about our relationship: being six hours apart doesn’t seem so bad anymore!
Hillary recently posted..The Second Half: Final Thoughts

19 Coco March 30, 2012 at 7:14 am

You have to watch K9 PI on Netflix.. super cute and funny! I had brussels sprouts for dinner last night too! I love those little guys- I can’t believe I went my whole life without eating them (until 3 or so years ago)
Coco recently posted..Who says you need to be a kid.. or have a kid?

20 Emily N March 30, 2012 at 8:15 am

I really want to see like crazy.
Emily N recently posted..Tempo Pace?

21 Lee March 30, 2012 at 8:18 am

I really liked Like Crazy. I thought it was very telling about soulmates and whether there really is just one person out there for everyone. I saw it with my mom and she couldn’t get past the fact that the girl violated her visa to stay in the country for 2 short months.
Lee recently posted..A Blah Post

22 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe March 30, 2012 at 8:26 am

The last movie I saw in the theater was Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – we watch streaming netflix all the time, but mostly TV shows!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted.."Ribs… I had ribs for lunch." (GIVEAWAY!)

23 Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air March 30, 2012 at 9:06 am

Those two movies both look interesting – I’ll have to check them out!
Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air recently posted..Book Review: "11/22/63"

24 Sarah @BlondeBostonian March 30, 2012 at 9:35 am

it’s not on Netflix, but go see the new 21 Jumpstreet — absolutely gut-bustingly funny. I promise.
Sarah @BlondeBostonian recently posted..Feeling the Pressure

25 Maryden25 March 30, 2012 at 10:10 am

Watching a very nice movie while sipping a cup of starbucks coffee? Awesome! I’ve watched Like Crazy before and I adore the story.. Fantastic!

26 sally kate March 30, 2012 at 10:28 am

Next time you drive through starbucks with maddie in the car, ask for a puppacino- they are those little sample cups filled with whipped cream- its so cute to see them eat it- they get it all over their little faces!!

27 Amy March 30, 2012 at 11:39 am

I looooved Like Crazy. My boyfriend and I actually saw it twice in the theater. It just stuck with me.

28 Claire March 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm

My roommate and I sobbed like children during Like Crazy. Literally holding eachother in the theater. The image of that chair will haunt me forever.

29 Jenny @ simply be me March 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I haven’t watched a movie in a long time, unless you count documentaries :)
Jenny @ simply be me recently posted..I heart CBC

30 Lisa in IL March 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Wonder if the Gator Sprinkle is anything like the Butt Rub my mom bought me when we were in Seaside this winter. Everyone down there seems to swear by it. I used it and thought it was a little on the salty side. Didn’t bring any fresh gator home with me, did however take a picture of the 8.99/lb fresh gator sign!

31 Ericka @ The Sweet Life March 30, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I was wondering what you were going to say about “Like Crazy.” I watched it earlier this week and was really disappointed. I thought the trailer made it look better. It was painful to watch — but I actually didn’t really like the girl. Something about her character turned me off. Hard to explain! I liked him but didn’t understand why they got married and then got into these other relationships again (I know they were apart but…) In the end, I was just like…this is so sad, is there any way they will actually make this work NOW? Ahhh. I was just really frustrated with all of it! My boyfriend was like, why are you making me watch this?!
Ericka @ The Sweet Life recently posted..Jennifer’s Body (Lawrence, that is)

32 Anne P March 30, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I loved Like Crazy, too – so sad, and very raw and real. A refreshing change from Hollywood, even though it made me really sad. It’s amazing that they improved a lot of the dialogue – great acting.
Anne P recently posted..Sometimes, Running is Hard.