Maddie’s Reputation

by Meghann on March 27, 2012

My little running girl is wiped.

Four miles and she’s ready to call it a day. Come on, Maddie, the day has only just begun. πŸ˜‰

I live in a neighborhood full of dogs. I’d say 75% of my neighbors have little pups that they walk 3-4 times a day. I also live in a neighborhood full of retirees who spend all day hanging out in the road, on their driveways, or even by the mailbox just waiting for you to walk by and start a conversation with them. It’s a very friendly neighborhood, there’s no doubt about that.

Among the neighborhood dogs, Maddie has earned a bit of a reputation as the runner. We’ve been spotted a few times on our morning runs by a couple of neighbors who always ask Maddie when her next run is every time we see them. Like mother, like fur-daughter. Is it weird that I start to feel guilty when they ask and it’s been a while since we’ve been on a run together?

Maddie was definitely due for a run this morning and she had the energy to prove it. I always try to keep it slow with her, but she’s pretty stubborn with finding her own speed. We ended up completing the 4 miles with an average of 8:30 min/mi pace (minus the Maddie required sniffing and potty-ing breaks πŸ˜‰ )

Maddie enjoyed a breakfast fit for a queen (dog food with plain yogurt <- she prefers yogurt to peanut butter, strange dog) and a busy bone before promptly passing out. I’d like to say she’s out for the day, but she’ll probably be ready for another 4 miles after lunch. She always has energy to burn. Trust me.

While Maddie was dining on kibble and yogurt, I was enjoying mango with yogurt.

Plain Fage, mango, fig jam, and Kashi Go Lean Crisp to be exact.

With a side of toast smothered with fig jam and topped with fresh mango, almond butter, and walnuts.

Maddie had her breakfast fit for a queen and I had mine. πŸ™‚

Do you live in a dog friendly neighborhood? Or does everyone (and their animals) keep to themselves?

1 Hillary March 27, 2012 at 10:11 am

My neighbors let their dogs wander around and make themselves at home. Most are friendly, but a couple get VERY worked up when I go out for a run! Lots of barking.

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 27, 2012 at 10:14 am

Awww Maddie is so cute!!! I want a dog so badly, but my husband isn’t going for it haha. Keep the Maddie pics coming! πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Whose grocery cart is this?!

3 Sarah @BlondeBostonian March 27, 2012 at 10:29 am

I just got the TJ’s fig jam and I’m in LOVE with it! It’s tastes just like a fig newton.
Sarah @BlondeBostonian recently posted..Travel Tuesday: The Contiki Experience

4 Mel March 27, 2012 at 10:38 am

My neighborhood is majorly dog friendly. We have 5 houses that butt up to one another and we all have dogs that congregate at the fences for social hour. Once one is out, they ALL go out. And we have put gates in our fences so we can let the dogs play together like a big daycare. Whenever the neighbors get together everyone brings their dogs, just as they would spouses and kids. It’s really great. They also range in size from a great dane down to maltese mix if you can picture that.

5 Kelly March 27, 2012 at 10:40 am

Sadly, I only know the neighbors who have dogs. I’d like to know my neighbors more, especially because I know one of them is an Ironman based on his bumper sticker and I’d love to find a real-live person to ask questions to, but short of going door to door, I don’t know how to find out more. I’ve lived in this place for three years, too.

6 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe March 27, 2012 at 10:43 am

Our neighbors have a dog, and my friends down the street do. I have two cats, because we’re not home enough for a dog right now… so I borrow dogs to run with occasionally!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Fresh Meals in Minutes!

7 Life's a Bowl March 27, 2012 at 10:56 am

Our neighborhood is filled with puppies πŸ™‚ Before my fiance and I got our puppy we were the ones who felt out of place! Unfortunately there isn’t a little dog park within walking distance but there is one in the town that tons of people go to on the weekend… We’ve only been once but plan to go back when our pup gets a little older πŸ™‚ I don’t think his little legs would be able to run distance, although he is a little speed bullet!

8 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 27, 2012 at 11:00 am

My area is very dog friendly. There’s actually a huge field (lot that no company has bought) that my neighbors have turned into a huge dog park.

Maddie is such a trooper and she can keep a nice pace!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Twas’ the Night Before…

9 MrsSwan March 27, 2012 at 11:12 am

Our neighborhood is very dog friendly. Just about every house has at least one or more dogs in them. We are not a very talkative neighborhood though. I have been here almost 9 years and only speak to 2 neighbors on a regular basis. We only have one ass that lets his dog wander. I don’t even know WHY they have a dog. They took down their backyard fence AFTER they had the dog and just let him wander. He is a hooooge St. Bernard so when he bounds after DH on his runs DH gets kinda nervous.
MrsSwan recently posted..I’m here, I’m here

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 27, 2012 at 11:17 am

Okay I am getting really jealous of all these mangoes! I need to get one asap! Haha I bought some mango Chobani this morning and I think I’ll make a smoothie later this afternoon!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..It’s Getting Dystopic Over Here…

11 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 27, 2012 at 11:28 am

Sounds like such a fun neighborhood!

I want some mangoes–like NOW πŸ˜‰
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Elliptical Workout 1

12 Miranda March 27, 2012 at 11:31 am

Be careful giving Maddie yogurt! Dogs stomachs don’t digest dairy well – they are missing the enzymes. It’s not going to hurt her but it might hurt your rugs πŸ˜‰

13 Meghann March 27, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Plain yogurt was actually recommended by my vet. She said a spoonful on top of her morning breakfast is a great way to promote healthy digestion. http://www.best-dog-treat-recipes.com/benefits-of-yogurt.html

14 Paula March 28, 2012 at 7:38 am

My dogs get plain yogurt every day, and have for years. It’s good for them!

15 Allison March 27, 2012 at 11:57 am

My dog is a runner too. He never gets tired…and he’s a border collie. So he runs and then still wants to play.
Allison recently posted..Friday Confessions

16 Alliso K March 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm

When you don’t take her with you on your run, do you walk her?
Every day exercise is crucial to their behavior, my dog is such a pain in the butt when we skip his walk (which is only once every two weeks or so).
Alliso K recently posted..But What About the Poop?

17 Meghann March 27, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Yes, she gets walked everyday. We have a 1/2 mile loop that we walk three times a day (morning, lunch, and after dinner), but it’s not quite the same to her as a nice long run. πŸ™‚

18 Laura is Undeterrable March 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm

The people in my neighborhood keep to themselves, but Leland and Biscuit are quite a hit at the dog park.

Leland has a reputation too… at Petsmart… for the being the difficult dog when it comes to nail trims…
Laura is Undeterrable recently posted..Looks vs. Function

19 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 27, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Our neighborhood is full of dogs. When I take Cooper for walks early in the morning, I usually wake up everyone. All his friends must bark ‘hello.’

I wish Cooper would run with me. He does great on trails off a leash but when the leash is on he acts like he’s 90 years old. I end up pulling him and my pace is horrible. At least I get an upper body workout from it!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Running Easy?

20 Marina March 27, 2012 at 1:34 pm

As a jack russel, your poor Madie should really have more exercise in her daily life then you seem to give her. Letting her out for a few minutes three times a day just isn’t good for that type of breed. Or any breed for that matter.

Just my two cents as someone who cares about animals.

21 Meghann March 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Trust me, Maddie gets plenty of exercise. πŸ™‚ I take her for a 1/2 mile loop around the neighborhood three times a day (morning, lunch, and after dinner). She has that route memorized and poops and pees in the same spots everyday. However, the walks aren’t the same as a good long run and those are usually what I feel guilty about her missing out on. The girl LOVES to run. πŸ™‚

22 Angela March 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm

A mile and a half of walking is only half an hour of exercise. That’s hardly enough for any breed, particularly a Jack Russell.

23 Meghann March 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm

It’s more like 45 minutes total or about 15 minutes per walk (she pauses a lot). That also doesn’t count the laps she does around the house, our nightly games of tug-of-war, our occasional runs together, or our random walks to the mailbox or to potty. I appreciate your concerns, but Maddie is well taken care of. πŸ™‚

24 Candace March 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm

As a fellow Jack Russell mama, I can vouch for the fact that this breed is great about exercising itself in addition to walks and trips outdoors for bathroom breaks. My Jack will run laps around the house when the mailman comes, and he’s spontaneously grab a toy and run up and down the stairs.

Maddie looks super fit for her breed — which is prone to plumpness if not well-exercised!

25 Cait's Plate March 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I definitely live in a dog friendly neighborhood! Everyone seems to be pet lovers which is nice!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Good Day.

26 Emily N March 27, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I wish my pups were runners. They are both poodle mixes and they RACE around our backyard when we’re playing outside, but i don’t think they would be up for runs where pacing mattered at all. I can just see Teek running herself ragged in the first three minutes.
Emily N recently posted..Tuesday Morning

27 Cait March 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

what kind of bread is that? looks darker than wheat..

28 Meghann March 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm

It’s Arnold’s Dark German Wheat.

29 Sara@RunningInPinkProject March 27, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Ive never had fig jam before. I might need to give it a try since I LOVE cooking with fresh figs. Whole Foods?
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Some Give-Away Love

30 Meghann March 27, 2012 at 5:16 pm

It’s Trader Joe’s! πŸ™‚

31 Army Amy* March 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm

My dog wears a Gentle Leader, which goes around his mouth, so people assume he’s a meanie. It couldn’t be further from the truth! It’s not a muzzle and my dog doesn’t bite! Alas, people aren’t interested in getting too close.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Do Some Kids Deserve to get Bullied?

32 BroccoliHut March 27, 2012 at 10:29 pm

My apartment building is full of dogs (including two other JRTs!). I haven’t taken Margot on a run with me yet, as she’s still pretty young and isn’t exactly car-savvy. However, I’m hoping that I can bring her along with me someday–she certainly has the energy for it!
BroccoliHut recently posted..The Broccoli Mandate