Get In. Get Out.

by Meghann on March 26, 2012

Good Morning!

Am I the only one who didn’t want to believe it when her alarm went off this morning? The weekend is officially over – welcome to a brand new week.

My morning started at the gym – twenty minutes of walking on the treadmill followed by NROLFW 7-2. The gym was packed this morning. I’m not sure if it’s because summer is just around the corner or triathlon season is in full swing (we have a big triathlon crowd at my gym), but the crowd reminded me more of what I find when I go to the gym in the afternoon – a bit on the younger side with a get in, get out attitude.

I have that same attitude: Get in. Workout. Get out. Eat food.

Good food, too. 😉

Breakfast was a plain Fage, mango, strawberry, and Kashi Go Lean Crunch parfait.

I like to think of a parfait as a deconstructed version of my typical cereal bowl. It’s all the same ingredients, just organized in pretty layers that make for better photos. 😉

After three days of complaining about my scratchy throat (it was bothering me the majority of the weekend), Derek woke up to tell me he knows exactly how I feel – his throat is now bothering him too. :/ I hope this isn’t one of those sickness that we just continue to pass back and forth to each other, those are never fun. We’ve had rotations before of sore throats or runny noses that I swore we passed back and forth for months. Not cool.

Any advice on how to break the cycle?

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 26, 2012 at 10:17 am

Haha parfait or bowl, I always end up mixing things all up together! Your mangos and strawberries look so good!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Running–Speed Tips

2 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 10:23 am

Sounds a little counterintuitive, but washing your hands on a regular basis helps. Me and my hubby were absolutely plagued by runny noses and slightly sore throats. We both made an effort to wash our hands before going to bed and getting up in the morning… so helpful!

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 26, 2012 at 10:25 am

Gah I hate sore throats! Last time mine was so bad and I was so desperate to get rid of it that I tried a homeopathic remedy from my health food store. They were just little sugar pills that I had to dissolve under my tongue. I was very skeptical at first but after a day or two I was feeling so much better!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..A sad state of affairs

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 26, 2012 at 10:47 am

I totally felt that way this morning when my alarm went off. I’m more than ready to take another nap! I hope your throats feel better! I always try to disinfect the entire house when someone is sick to prevent from my fiance and I swapping sicknesses. We are sure to wash towels, our toothbrushes, and wash hands constantly.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Mad Mex Kind Of Birthday…

5 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 26, 2012 at 10:47 am

*I meant replace toothbrushes after you are sick.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Mad Mex Kind Of Birthday…

6 Alyse March 26, 2012 at 11:01 am

Pollen is really bad right now. That might be irritating you even if you don’t have allergies.
Alyse recently posted..Day 191

7 Christina March 26, 2012 at 11:06 am

Rachel, how is washing hands counterintuitive? Seems pretty intuitive to me 🙂

8 Rachel March 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm

You’d be surprised how many people don’t! 🙂

9 Kathy March 26, 2012 at 11:08 am

Stop kissing…totally works for hubby and I …hahahah! 😉

It’s rainy here today…blah…time to hit the treadmill…blah.
Kathy recently posted..Blah, blah, blah…that is how the run went….

10 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 26, 2012 at 11:27 am

Whenever I start to feel sick I start drinking airborne like it’s nobody’s business. It usually helps a lot. I’ve had a sore throat the past few days but it seems to be related to allergies and Claritin is helping.

Feel better!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Boston Marathon: The Would’ve Been Start of Taper

11 Kate March 26, 2012 at 11:44 am

Oooh I know all about the sicky cycle. My suggestions are toss your toothbrushes and get new ones. Disinfect the bathroom (I’m convinced this is where all sicknesses live) with either bleach or Lysol. Change out towels and sheets and empty all the garbages. All those tissues hanging around are no good. Hope that helps!
Kate recently posted..Weekly Prep- March 25

12 Lara March 26, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Well you can’t actually pass the same virus back and forth, but you can get sick from each other. My mom makes my dad sleep in the other room when he has a cold, but I don’t do that to my boyfriend. I figure by that point I’ve already been exposed. Definitely wash your hands a lot, take vitamin C, and eat lots of fruits and veggies!

13 Allpointswhole March 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Love that breakfast…looks like a delicious dessert!!

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 26, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Drink hot/warm water with lemon and honey. Use a steam bath too (or stick your head with a towel over a pot of boiling water). It’ll clear out your sinuses and help ease the crap in the mouth and throat.

Also, enough sleep helps too!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Physical Hunger And Cravings

15 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I had an interview at a gym this morning, and as I was sitting waiting to meet with the person, it was funny to watch everyone rushing in and out. There are obviously a lot of people with the “get in, get out” mentality!! 😉
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Whose grocery cart is this?!

16 Niki March 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm

That parfait looks awesome!

looks like you had fun doing your registry shopping, it seems so exciting, i can’t wait to start ours!!

17 Coco March 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Aww your breakfast looks so pretty! I have to eat something before I go to the gym or I would die.. I’m pretty sure that would be literal.. So there is no way at 5am does my breakfast ever look photo worthy- usually just a mess mixed and mushed up covered in Almond butter.. it always tastes amazing though! Hope you guys feel better!
Coco recently posted..Livefit Phase 3 COMPLETE! + Review and Photos

18 Emily N March 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Ew. Sore throats stink. I hope you BOTH move on from it!
Emily N recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 12 in Review

19 Alison March 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Have you tried drinking apple cider vinegar in warm water? When I feel a scratchy throat coming on I usually try 1 tsp. in a cup of warm water and repeat as necessary. Seems to help me.

20 Chris March 26, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I’m with the previous commenter about pollen/allergies. I did not develop them until my late 20s/early 30s and now each spring I have scratchy throat, nose drips, etc. I am still not used to the fact that I get this and always think I am sick at first. But then I realize that my body does not feel sick (fatigue, dizziness, chills, etc.) it’s just a few body parts that do – like I am only sick from the head up!

21 The Clean Eating Mama March 26, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I purchased some mango’s at Whole Foods and this parfait looks mango-worthy! YUM!
The Clean Eating Mama recently posted..Sokenbicha – review and giveaway!

22 Sara@RunningInPinkProject March 26, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I bought mangoes today which Im pretty sure is a direct result of reading your blog this week. 😀
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Double Feature

23 Rachael March 26, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I’m with the commenter above who said stop kissing. I had a wicked flu virus recently and stopped kissing my partner (who I live with) at the first sign of sickness. I also made sure to wash my hands more, and slept on the couch for two of the worst nights. Those were the only changes we made (other nights we still slept in the same bed.. and enjoyed each other’s company..) 9 days later when I was sure I was completely fine we kissed again and he never caught it!

24 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 26, 2012 at 10:53 pm

yum that parfait looks good! I always look forward to the green protein smoothie awaiting me post workout 😉
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday