Sunday Evening

by Meghann on March 25, 2012

Derek and I were able to cross another task off of our wedding to-do list this afternoon. Wedding registry? Check!

I’ll fill in the details on the wedding page in the coming weeks, but I have to say that shopping with the little ray gun brought the term ‘window shopping’ to a whole new level. A new state-of-the-art toaster? Yes, please. It was also oddly stressful and intimidating. I have no comment on how long Derek and I spent discussing the tiny differences in 5 different sets of white plates. No comment at all.

We spent a couple of hours zapping this and that before our tummies started to rumble and we had to seek out food. I sought out my favorite mall location for food – the juice bar in Fit2Run.

Yes, a juice bar in a shoe store. A random location, but they actually have really good juices and smoothies. Plus, they make a mean hummus sandwich.

The hummus sandwich had avocado, tomato, spinach, sprouts , and -of course – hummus, but it was missing cheese! I was definitely missing the cheese.

The sandwich wasn’t exactly filling, so I had an apple when we made it back home. The apple seemed to hit the spot.

Since I had both the energy and the time this evening, I decided to have a little fun with dinner.

Stuffed shells are one of those meals that are really easy to make, but a bit time consuming to prep and put together. They’re perfect for a Sunday evening meal when there’s no rush for food.

I started by following the directions on the back of the box on how to prep the shells, then I made the cheesy filling.

The cheesy filling is the best part. πŸ˜‰

Cheesy filling:

• 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 2 cups mozzarella
  • 1 egg
  • basil
  • thyme
  • oregano
  • salt & pepper

Mix well and stuff about a spoonful into each jumbo shell.

Cover with pasta sauce

And bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

Mmmm…. cheesiness.

I went a little heavy on the herbs in the cheesy filling, but I kinda liked it that way. The herbs made the cheese pop. Yum.

Steamed fresh cauliflower and broccoli were served on the side.

More fun in the kitchen followed dinner.

I found another use for the half a dozen or so mangos still in my fridge… Mango cupcakes with lime buttercream frosting.

IMG_1028.JPG IMG_1030.JPG

My original plan was to talk Derek into stopping at our favorite cupcake place on the way home. My mind was set on a peanut butter cupcake, but the baking aisle inspired me to take a stab at making my own cupcakes with the mangos in the fridge. I threw a bag of confectioner sugar in the cart and found this recipe for mango cupcakes when we made it home.

I wouldn’t say the mango cupcakes were on the same level as the peanut butter cupcake from the cupcake place, but they weren’t bad either.

The mango cupcakes were spot on. I was afraid they would end up tasting like a mango muffin, but they were very moist, sweet, and definitely a cupcake and not a muffin. πŸ˜‰

However, the icing needed work. More lime juice? More zest? It wasn’t tart enough for my taste. Definitely missing something.

And now I have a dozen cupcakes on my hands. Can you freeze cupcakes? Because that would be awesome. πŸ˜‰

Good night!

1 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes March 25, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I want to shop with a ray gun… That pasta looks incredible!
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Of Jeans And Gender

2 Victoria (District Chocoholic) March 25, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Salt. The buttercream needs salt to make the lime pop out.

Maybe tequila as well. Hard to say.

3 Meghann March 25, 2012 at 11:04 pm

My vote is tequila πŸ˜‰

4 Jessica March 25, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I’ve frozen cupcakes, and they were just fine!!

5 Christie March 25, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I freeze cupcakes all the time. Let them thaw at room temperature when you’re ready to eat and you’re good to go!

6 Sana March 25, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I def need to make some stuffed shells! They look easy and awesome!
Sana recently posted..Sibling Fight

7 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 25, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I freeze everything (much to my boyfriend’s dismay) and cupcakes thaw out just fine! I mean they don’t taste the same but it’s worth it to avoid wasting delicious cupcakes πŸ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Visit with the Moms

8 Shannon March 25, 2012 at 11:39 pm

You can definitely freeze cupcakes. Do that or give them away to a mailman or someone as an good deed for the day! Sometimes giving someone a treat can make their day!
Shannon recently posted..Scenes from a low-key weekend

9 Alison March 25, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I love the idea of stuffed shells! I haven’t ever tried them, but they look so delicious.
Alison recently posted..β€œThere are not enough days in the weekend.”

10 Heather March 26, 2012 at 12:08 am

Oh and now you will have endless fun updating your registry online!

11 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 26, 2012 at 12:09 am

I am SO jealous of the cupcakes and the stuffed shells.. domestic goddess!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..This Week…

12 Racheal @ Running with Racheal March 26, 2012 at 6:15 am

That cracks me up! My husband and I spent hours debating over dishes and now we already want new ones! πŸ˜‰

Your dinner / dessert look fab!
Racheal @ Running with Racheal recently posted..Guesstimation

13 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 26, 2012 at 6:32 am

Wow, hello Martha Stewart!! Very impressive work in the kitchen! I would have added plenty of herbs into my stuffed shells, too. More flavor is never a bad thing! πŸ™‚
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Whose grocery cart is this?!

14 Coco March 26, 2012 at 7:30 am

I thought that the laser gun was so much fun when I did it too! I haven’t made stuffed shells in forever- it has to be at least 5 or 6 years! They are really yummy though- and I like to put spinach or chopped up broccoli in with the cheese for a bit of extra greens πŸ™‚
Coco recently posted..Livefit Phase 3 COMPLETE! + Review and Photos

15 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 26, 2012 at 7:39 am

I loved registering! It was so much fun! πŸ™‚ The stuffed shells look amazing! I haven’t had them in so long.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Mad Mex Kind Of Birthday…

16 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 26, 2012 at 7:44 am

That does sound like an awesome sandwich…especially for a mall!
My favorite mall food is definitely the froyo stand πŸ™‚
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Full of life, full of joy, full of love.

17 Kathy March 26, 2012 at 7:48 am

Cupcakes rarely make it a second day in our house…with the 5 of us during a day 12 go down very easily….I usually don’t make cupcakes at night. πŸ˜‰ But I still think yours looks good.

All looks good….especially the juice bar in the store! Love that!
Kathy recently posted..Blah, blah, blah…that is how the run went….

18 Emily March 26, 2012 at 7:59 am

oh yeah, wedding registries. fun! My husband and I realized that we only like red when we were registering. Everything either one of us picked out was red!
Emily recently posted..FedEx Delivers

19 melissa March 26, 2012 at 10:16 am

I kind of have an obsession with place settings, I am sure it would take me forever! But yay for registering!! When will it be my turn? πŸ˜‰

Also, I make a similar recipe, but I add frozen chopped spinach!
melissa recently posted..Dining One Ingredient at a Time

20 Dusty @ Running to Healthy March 26, 2012 at 10:43 am

We freeze cupcakes! Mango cupcakes sound yummy.
Dusty @ Running to Healthy recently posted..Things are Changing

21 Erin March 26, 2012 at 11:03 am

You might be doing that registry too early if you aren’t getting married until January. They will probably be out of stock or discontinued on the items you picked once it comes time to for to have your wedding showers and actual wedding. You might want to update the registry about 3 months out.

22 Meghann March 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm

We just started the registries as a base to figure out what items we want, not exactly the certains brands or styles – just in general. I’m sure we’re going to go back through and will be constantly updating it online before the big day.

23 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride March 26, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I can’t wait to do our wedding registry! Did you find that you & Derek agreed on most things? My fiance likes to say he doesn’t care but after taking a walk through Crate & Barrel he had the funniest likes and dislikes (complete opposite of mine!) so I’m curious to see what happens when we really register. I’ve been told I can just go home and change it online anyway πŸ˜‰
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..I am an athlete.

24 Meghann March 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I’ve found that we both have different things that we feel strongly about. I’m all about the kitchen stuff, while Derek is more about the cleaning supplies stuff. It gets sort of fuzzy with registering for bigger items though – those are the toughest.

25 Life's a Bowl March 26, 2012 at 6:17 pm

If you have any registering advice please share, we’re thinking of going this weekend! The biggest Q currently is, where do we wanna register? I’m thinking William & Sonoma, Crate and Barrel…
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Successes Sunday: Week 12

26 Army Amy* March 26, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I’m by no means an expert, but when I make stuffed shells, I used a plastic bag to squeeze the filling into the shells. It’s so much easier (and fancier) than using a spoon. Just a thought for next time!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Dallas Rock n Roll Half Marathon Race Recap

27 BroccoliHut March 26, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Hehe, we went and set up our registries this weekend too! I let Seth handle the scanner though–it was the only way to get him excited about picking out china!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Almond & Herb Crusted Tofu