more ยป" />

Cauliflower and Tempeh Vegetarian Chili

by Meghann on March 24, 2012

My view from the day.

Mixed with a little of this.

Hakuna Matata. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I only moved from the couch to eat and walk Maddie. Derek and I thought about running errands or leaving the house for this or that, but we both decided we would rather just sit on the couch and veg. I think we both needed a day to just chill. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think I’m getting sick. My throat has been bothering me all day and a smoothie was all I wanted to calm it down this afternoon.

Chocolate Mango P-Nutty Smoothie

• 1 fresh mango (peeled and chopped)
  • 1 cup ice
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder (I use Whole Foods brand)
  • 1 tablespoon honey peanut butter

Place in blender and blend until smooth.

Who knew mango and peanut butter was such a winning combination? Love.

Derek and I decided to open the bottle of Delirium Tremens by brother gave me for christmas while we cooked dinner.

IMG_0943.jpg IMG_0947.jpg

Have you ever seen a beer with cork?

IMG_0949.JPG IMG_0953.JPG IMG_0956.JPG IMG_0958.JPG

It was pretty good. I’m not sure if it was the seal of the cork or not, but this beer had a lot of carbonation and a thick white head. It was very fruity and would make a really great summer beer.

We had chili and sweet potato fries for dinner.

Originally I was going to pour the chili over the fries, but i thought the fries were better on top for dipping. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cauliflower and Tempeh Vegetarian Chili

• 1/2 head of cauliflower
  • 1 small yellow onion
  • 1/2 block of tempeh
  • 1 can pinto beans
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 can vegetable broth
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • oregano
  • cumin
  • s & p

Chop the veggies and tempeh in small pieces and begin to sweat in a medium pot. Once the onions are soft, add everything else and season to taste. Bring the pot to a boil then down to low to simmer for 30 minutes covered. Remove lid and simmer for 15 more minutes. Top with Alexa sweet potato fries.

The chili was excellent, but it may have been a tad too hot for chili. I was sweating up a storm as I was eating my big bowl. The ice cream after dinner helped cool me down. ๐Ÿ™‚

For once my alarm clock isn’t set. I’m predicting Derek and I will continue our lazy evening into the morning. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Deva @ Deva by Definition March 24, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Lazy days can be the best days. I can honestly say that I try to set my alarm for only one weekend day – I’m up early all other days of the week and I like getting to sleep LATE.
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..Playing Catch-Up

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 24, 2012 at 11:09 pm

That looks so good!! And lazy days are pretty amazing! I’ve had a lazy couple of days (lazy yet productive if that’s possible) and they’re really the best. I think we all earn them from time to time! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Do Something Good

3 Sana March 24, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I love lazy days ๐Ÿ™‚ You two need it!
Sana recently posted..Dinner At Costco

4 Megan @ RunningAimlessly.com March 25, 2012 at 12:55 am

That chili looks delicious, especially with those fries! Are you vegetarian? Just started reading your blog and love it ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Meghann March 25, 2012 at 11:35 am

I’m not a vegetarian, but I love experimenting with vegetarian dishes. ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Amelia March 25, 2012 at 7:43 am

Wow, that chili looks SO yummy! I was just thinking about how hot it is already in Charleston and wondering if I could pull off such a ‘warm’ dinner, but since you’re in FL….I guess anything is doable. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I bet leftovers would be good eaten cold as a salad topper on spinach.

BTW, LOVING the mangoes right now! I picked up 2 at WFoods and they were gone by the next morning. So sweet! I’m trying your panini sandwich for my lunch today!
Amelia recently posted..Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Bliss

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 25, 2012 at 8:46 am

Yum, the chili sounds awesome!! Think it could work in a slow cooker??
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..You put WHAT in my food?!

8 Heather @ Housewife Glamour March 25, 2012 at 11:09 am

That chili sounds great & I LOVE Dandelion Cafe (your tumbler cup!) ๐Ÿ˜‰
Heather @ Housewife Glamour recently posted..5 Healthy Lunch Ideas

9 Christine (The Raw Project) March 25, 2012 at 11:37 am

The chili sounds wonderful, I need to try it because I actually have all the ingredients. ๐Ÿ™‚ And lazy days are great, I had one yesterday after a busy week at work and a long run.

10 Christy March 25, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I love having chilaxing days. Sometimes with all the hub-bub of the week it’s nice to do nothing and to just recoup:-) I’ve seen a a fair amount of beer bottles with corks….fancier stuff I guess. My husband has a beer blog, if you like beer, check it out http://www.lyricslibationsandlife.com. Also, I too love The Lion King, bought the blueray/dvd/digital copy of it…I do also just love the Disney Classics!

11 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident March 25, 2012 at 1:06 pm

The chili looks so good. I have been looking for a hearty veggie chili and I think this one might be the one! I am excited to try it.
Mattie @ Comfy and Confident recently posted..Being Vegan

12 Niki @ justrunninwithit March 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Lazy weekends are so great after jam packed weeks!

13 Serena March 25, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I wouldn’t think of putting mango and peanut butter together, but they are both delicious so it could def. be good.
Serena recently posted..Long Run and Weekly Recap

14 Jess-ThatJessGal March 25, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Delirum is one of my favorite beers. Be warned…it’s high gravity, so don’t let that light “summery” taste fool you! Enjoy.
Jess-ThatJessGal recently posted..The Gal is Out-Spring Break Edition

15 Erin D March 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Delirium is an amazing beer…Tremens is awesome, but their Nocturnum and Noel (winter-style Belgian ale) are both delicious as well!