Mr. Souvlaki

by Meghann on March 23, 2012

I have to make this quick. It’s been a long night and I have 17 miles to run in the morning – yikes!

I have a new favorite snack – fresh popped popcorn with almonds, dried fruit, and chocolate chips. Can I get a holy yum for this one? ;)

Derek and I headed to Tarpon Springs this evening to join his brother and his brother’s family at their favorite childhood restaurant, Mr. Souvlaki.

Tarpon Springs is such a cute little city. This was only my second time driving over since I’ve lived here, but I should really make the trip again. I would love to come in the daytime with Derek and just explore. :)

Our table started with the calamari

And the four of us split the greek salad for 2.

The salad was amazing, but I think a lot of that had to do with the delicious potato salad on top. This was the first time I’ve seen potato salad on top of a greek salad, but the boys informed me that all the Greek restaurants in Tarpon Springs (and about 95% of Tarpon Spring restaurants are Greek) put potato salad on their greek salads. Is this a traditional addition or just a Tarpon Springs one?

(salad plate x2)

I ordered the hummus with pita

and had a bowl of the chicken lemon soup.

Per tradition, we headed to Hellas Bakery for dessert.

I love this Greek pastry shop. So many fun pastries, it’s hard to choose!

I went with the chocolate dipped baklava (yum) this time around.

Half tonight and half after those 17 miles in the morning. ;)

ekkkk…. 17 miles! Is it just me or does that just sound like a really long way right now. At least I’ll have a buddy this time – hopefully that’ll make the miles fly faster.

Good Night!

1 Niki March 23, 2012 at 11:14 pm

That salad looks so good! Kick booty on your 17 miler!

2 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 23, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Mmmm.. lovely greek spread!

Good luck on the 17 miler :)
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Meyer lemon, blood orange w/ mint spritzer & a sweet giveaway!

3 Alison March 23, 2012 at 11:44 pm

The whole meal looks so yummy!!! I absolutely love Greek food.

4 Erin March 24, 2012 at 1:46 am

I have so many fond memories of Tarpon Springs! My dad lives just outside Tampa and we always went to the beach in Tarpon. I haven’t seen potato salad on Greek salads anywhere in Chicago so maybe it’s just a Tarpon thing.
Erin recently posted..Three Things Thursday

5 Anne March 24, 2012 at 3:48 am

Aren’t those beets?

6 Meghann March 24, 2012 at 6:25 am

Yep. Beets on top (another odd thing?). The potato salad is buried in the middle.

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 24, 2012 at 7:08 am

Good luck with your 17!! I’m doing 10, and that sounds long right now haha. But remember, it’s 80% mental (I don’t know how I came up with 80%. But I’m guessing at least part of it HAS to be physical, right??). ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..You put WHAT in my food?!

8 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 24, 2012 at 8:04 am

Good luck on your run! And I’ve been to two authentic Greek restaurants here in Chicago and there was nO potato on top of the Greek salad. Maybe they just developed it there, or maybe it’s a regional thing in Greece?
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Into the Depths of My Mind

9 Katie March 24, 2012 at 8:53 am

So – the potato salad in a Greek salad is something that is only done in the Tampa FL/Tarpon Springs area! All of my friends think it is bizarre to see it that way, but I’ve grown to like it! Beets on the salad are technically regional to the Detroit, MI area, but I’ve seen them on salads around here a lot so it must have traveled. Apparently (this is what I’ve heard) the potato salad thing got started by the Pappas family: they had 2 events to cater and one of them cancelled. The cancelled party had ordered potato salad. Since they didn’t know what to do with it and didn’t want it to go to waste, they put a scoop on the bottom of the Greek salads that the other party had ordered. When people raved about it, they just started making it like that all the time. I don’t know 100% if that is true, but I can kind of see that happening…

If you ever go back to Tarpon Springs, I also suggest going to Mykonos for a meal! My family always eats there…their Chicken Mykonos (chicken breast sauteed in tomatoes, celery, herbs, and feta) is amazing! Yum. Now I need to take a trip back there soon…
Katie recently posted..I Wear Your Shirt

10 Danielle @ Long May You Run March 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

Greek restaurants in brooksville have potato salad in them (as well as beets), and every greek salad I’ve had in Charlotte (my current hometown) has it too. I don’t think the idea is specific to the TB area…
Danielle @ Long May You Run recently posted..Is faster really better?

11 Katie March 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm

True, I know that other places than the Tampa Bay area could serve the salads that way, but it seems to have originated here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_salad (under Other Usage, first paragraph). If you do a search for “Greek salad with potato salad” there are also a bunch of different things that pop up, but most of them circle back to how the Pappas family started it. I’m not surprised that the idea would travel elsewhere though; the potato salad on the bottom is a really interesting and yummy touch!
Katie recently posted..I Wear Your Shirt

12 Meghann March 25, 2012 at 11:39 am

Interesting! Thanks for sharing :)

13 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope March 25, 2012 at 11:44 am

Not true. Athenian gardens all put potato salad on top…in St. Pete
Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope recently posted..On a mission…

14 Cait's Plate March 24, 2012 at 9:06 am

I have made that exact same popcorn snack – it’s SOOOO good!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Mountain House

15 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 24, 2012 at 9:18 am

Have a great run!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Pita Heaven

16 Erika March 24, 2012 at 10:09 am

17 miles IS a long run. I would definitely need some company to make it that far! Have fun and enjoy that Baklava! Yummy!!
Erika recently posted..You’re HOT then you’re COLD

17 Ricole Runs March 24, 2012 at 10:59 am

Yum, I love pastries!!! Good luck with the 17 miles tomorrow! You will dominate!

18 MrsSwan March 24, 2012 at 11:58 am

Wow, Potato salad in my greek salad would totally piss me off. I am just 2 hours north of there and no one here does that. I would not be eating there if they did LOL Greek Salad (to me) is just a combo of certain things and if you mess with those certain things then it just isn’t a greek salad anymore. More of a kitchen sink salad then.

19 allpointswhole March 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Great job. Just saw your post on twitter that you completed it!!

20 Natalie March 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm

This is a weird & random question, but what software do you use for your blogging? I remember seeing a screenshot somewhere of the program, but I can’t find it. I’d love to know more about app-based blogging vs. browser-based!
Natalie recently posted..TGIF!

21 Meghann March 25, 2012 at 11:40 am

I use Ecto on the Mac, but if you have a PC I would suggest looking into Windows Live Writer :)

22 Natalie March 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thanks, Meghann! I hear about Windows Live Writer ALL the time but I’m on a Mac. I’ll have to check out Ecto. :)
Natalie recently posted..Sound | Pandora

23 Cheryl March 24, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I grew up in Tarpon, and still live here – we do not consider our Greek salad a true “Greek” salad without the potato salad in the middle! YUM! Hella’s is my favorite local spot for greek salad and traditional greek pastries.