Coconut Mango Curry with Shrimp

by Meghann on March 22, 2012

So about that case of mangos

They’re going fast.

Derek ate three today on his own. Two in the morning and one right after dinner. I caught him over the sink sucking what he could off of the core. At least I know he likes them. :)

(don’t forget to enter for a chance to win a case of your own!)

Tonight’s mango themed dinner was originally inspired by this recipe for Coconut Curried Pork. Only I ditched a few of the ingredients, added a few of my own, and swapped around this and that to make something almost unrecognizable from the original. The results were fabulous. Viva la mango!

Coconut Mango Curry with Shrimp

• 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 small yellow onion
  • 2 small red potatoes
  • 2 sweet peppers
  • 1 cup chopped broccoli
  • 1 cup sugar snap peas
  • 1 mango
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 3 tablespoons roasted red chili paste
  • 1 lime
  • 1/2 lb of shrimp
  • brown rice

Start by chopping the onion, potatoes, peppers, and mango into bite sized pieces. Get the pan nice and hot, drizzle with the sesame oil, and add the onion and potatoes. Let the onion and potatoes cook for about 5 minutes, then add add the broccoli, snap peas, and mango.

Let the veggies cook for a few minutes, then pour the the coconut milk over top and mix in the red chili paste and the juice from 1/2 the lime.

Bring everything to a boil before covering the dish and letting it cook on low for 20 minutes.

In the last 5 minutes add the shrimp and the juice from the other half of the lime.

Serve with brown rice. :)

I even surprised myself with how great this turned out. There was just the right mix of sweet and spiciness and plenty of veggies and shrimp to fill us up. Derek enjoyed it so much that he finished off whatever remained in the pan, then proceeded to slurp up any juice that was in his bowl.

Mango for the win! :)

My afternoon snack was a mix of nuts, dried fruit, and peanut butter Cherrios.

Dessert was a serving of Moose Tracks Ice Cream.

My fave. :)

And now it’s time for bed.

Good Night!

1 Sana March 22, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Meghann, that looks AWESOME! Good job!
Sana recently posted..Oh Hai D.C

2 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 22, 2012 at 10:37 pm

That just looks fantastic!!! Love it!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Cat-Calling: Flattery or Not?

3 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 22, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I love sweet and spicy combos–looks great!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Picnic lunch, picnic dinner.

4 Serena March 22, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I’m going to try this recipe after I find a store nearbye that carries taste of Thai curry paste the other brands I’ve tried are far to mild.
Serena recently posted..Run of the Day

5 Katie @ Creature of Habit March 22, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Curry is on my list for next week. I’ve actually never made it before but I’ve just had a craving recently. Maybe I’ll have to pick up some mangos, too, because this looks wonderful!
Katie @ Creature of Habit recently posted..Finally – A Good Run!

6 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 23, 2012 at 12:09 am

I loooove mangos!!! I just wish they were cheaper..
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Tuesday Thoughts

7 Racheal @ Running with Racheal March 23, 2012 at 5:35 am

That meal looks beautiful! You have reminded me that I need more curry in my life! :)

I also love your cute little bowls. Perfect idea for portion control!
Racheal @ Running with Racheal recently posted..Organic Delivery

8 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 23, 2012 at 7:36 am

This looks great! I’ve never tried curry before but I’d be willing to try it :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Meeting Anne Burrell!!…

9 ash bear March 23, 2012 at 7:52 am

That looks fantastic! I’m about to PIN IT so I can make it soon! Can I get a case of Mangos too? How about some oranges, strawberries, and blueberries too? :)
ash bear recently posted..Recovering After A Race

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 23, 2012 at 8:26 am

That curry looks amazing! I’ve never tried making my own curry before, and I’ve been craving shrimp, so I might have to try this out!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Into the Depths of My Mind

11 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe March 23, 2012 at 8:29 am

That looks/sounds incredible. I have been craving thai red curry!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Pub Run Thursday!

12 Kathy March 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

Can you be my personal chef? hahaha
Kathy recently posted..Books I am reading…

13 Melissa March 23, 2012 at 9:23 am

whoa…I don’t mean this to be ‘mean’ but…why are those portions so small? Your ice cream and PB cheerios dish look like they’re in a ramekin. And your dinner (which looks delish! mmm, shrimp) looks like it was placed on a saucer. I’m genuinely concerned about this. Are you trying to lose weight? Because, girl, you are thin already and you workout A LOT. I really really hope you are eating more than what is posted on the blog, because this is alarming.

14 Meghann March 23, 2012 at 9:53 am

The ice cream and trail mix snacks are in blue ‘snack’ bowls (that’s what the labeling on the package called them when I bought the bowls) that are about the size size of ramekins. There’s more to the PB cheerios than just the cheerios – the bowl also contains almonds, walnuts, and dried fruit for a filling snack – and the ice cream was two scoops for a little more than a 1/2 cup serving. The Coconut Mango Curry was served in one of my favorite blue bowls that my grandmother gave me for Christmas a few years ago. It’s one of my favorite bowls because it’s wide rimmed and allows for more food. The serving size may look a little smaller in photos, but I promise it was just right – maybe 1/2 cup of rice (I’m not really a rice fan) with several scoops of the good stuff on top. I also munch on veggies as I cook – I’m always munching when I’m cooking! :)

15 B March 23, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I am always amazed that people have so much free time to criticize or question others. Go volunteer or something instead of caring what portion size dishes flippin’ food bloggers use. GEEZ!

16 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 23, 2012 at 10:20 am

What a creative and good way to use them! I love shrimp curries but have never thought of making them at home!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Pita Heaven

17 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life March 23, 2012 at 10:39 am

Wow I am printing this now and making sure I have all the ingredients to make it myself next week! This looks amazing!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Last Minute Carrot Cake

18 Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest March 23, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I <3 Moose Tracks!!!
Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Wraps

19 Cristina March 23, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Even though I’m not a huge shrimp fan, the combination of mango and curry (both which I love!) has my mouth watering. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next!