Good-bye, Atlanta!

by Meghann on March 20, 2012

And we’re off!

I have a confession to make. The truth is I haven’t always been the biggest fan of Atlanta. Both times I’ve stayed here in the past were pretty blah experiences. I think it may have more to do with the fact that we stayed downtown over anything else. We just never felt very safe and didn’t think there was too much to do.

However, this trip may have turned my opinion about Atlanta around. We stayed on the outskirts of town (near Sandy Springs) and pretty much stayed clear of downtown the entire time. I ended up learning things about Atlanta I didn’t know about before, like how close the blue ridge mountains are, where to find the decent restaurants, or even where to get our shop on. THIS Atlanta is the one I could see everyone going crazy for, not the other one from my past.

I was particularly a fan of the location of our hotel. Not only was there so much within walking distance around us, but we were right in the middle of a great area to run. There were tons of neighborhoods that were full of great sidewalks and I had no problem discovering new running routes both mornings we were here.

This morning, instead of making a left out of our hotel, I made a right and found a new loop to run. The big loop took me about 4.5 miles around the area. I ended up passing a dozen or more runners along the way and never felt unsafe or out of place. It was a great run that ended much too quickly. :)

When I made it back to the hotel I took a quick shower then headed to the lobby to see what I could piece together for breakfast.

“Is it weird if I take a whole jar of almond butter downstairs to breakfast?”

“Probably.”

I picked up a jar of almond butter with sea salt from Trader Joe’s on Sunday and couldn’t wait to open it. I knew it would make an excellent addition to this morning’s oats. ;)

The rest of the mix:

• 2 packets of original instant oats
  • strawberry jam
  • 1apple

The almond butter was what took the bowl from just ok to yum!

We met Derek’s Papi for one final visit at Steak ‘N Shake before we left. Since the visit was at an odd time, I just had an applesauce and decided to save my appetite for later.

We picked up lunch on our way out of town from a vegetarian cafe I found on Yelp called World Peace Cafe.

This was such a cute place. They had a full vegetarian menu, a great tea selections, and just had a peaceful hippie vibe to it. It was definitely a place I could see myself settling down and working at for hours if it was in Tampa. :)

I ordered the peace burger salad.

It was basically their ‘famous’ peace burger (veggie burger) on top of a bed of greens, tomato, carrots, beets, and onion. I asked for the honey mustard dressing on the side, but it really didn’t need it. The bean burger was pretty juicy and the tomatoes, beets, and carrots were all lightly coated in oil and vinegar with salt and pepper. The salad was delicious.

Between my trip to Austin last week and to the trip to Atlanta this week, I’m pretty much over eating out. I’m looking forward to getting home and food for Derek and I . Not only do I miss eating my own food, I also miss my kitchen!

We’re on the road now and should be home later tonight. I have my mobile hotspot ready to go next to me and a ton of work to keep my occupied – something tells me this drive is going to fly by. ;)

What was your favorite car game to play as a kid?

We used to play the alphabet candy game – where you start with the letter A and have to think of a candy that starts with A, then the next person thinks of a candy that starts with a B (while restating the ‘A’ candy), and so on, and so on, until you each z.:)

*I updated the Wedding Page! Click here to read about wedding dress shopping with my mom and sister the other weekend*

1 Heather @ Better With Veggies March 20, 2012 at 3:09 pm

World Peace Cafe is a great spot – did you know the staff are all volunteers (yep, they work for free!)? Lots of great restaurants here in Atlanta! :)
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Run the Rocks 10K + Publix Half Marathon + Meet The Trainer

2 Niki March 20, 2012 at 3:09 pm

That burger looks amazing!

3 Erin March 20, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I am glad that you ended up enjoying Atlanta!
My favorite car game as a kid comes from the fact that my mom is notorious for changing the radio stations continually until she finds a good song-this can take several minutes. Whenever she would start switching stations, my younger sister and I would alternately act out or lip sync whatever song/commercial/NPR story that happened to come on. Once she switched the station, the other person would get to act out the voice. We always ended up giggling half way through when someone got a fast talking car salesman or crazy gospel song.

4 Laura March 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Love the veggie burger at World Peace Cafe!

As an Atlantan, I’ve really never believed the city is good for tourists. There are a few things downtown like a children’s museum, the zoo and aquarium, but mostly I think there’s little to do. However, it’s an amazing city to live in… lots of music, tons of restaurants (more in midtown and other neighborhoods and suburbs than downtown), great shopping, etc. Everything is just a bit more spread out, and downtown is not the place to be. It’s a very weird city compared to other major cities like Chicago and New York in that sense.

I’m glad you enjoyed this trip better!

5 Erika March 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Love going on road trips…although I have never been to Atlanta.
As far as games, I use to have a Bingo cards on long trips…so much fun.

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm

We just moved from Ohio to a suburb of Atlanta. I felt the same way when I initially found out we were moving here … I didn’t think I would like it. But the suburbs are absolutely beautiful, with so many fun things to do! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Red Face, Purple Nails, and Green Beer.

7 Jordan@almondjay March 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

We loved playing the movie game. You start with an actor and then the next person has to name a movie the actor is in then the next person has to name another actor in that movie.
Jordan@almondjay recently posted..I don’t eat clams but my legs can do a mean one

8 Cait's Plate March 20, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Hey I say you gotta do what you gotta do! I’ve been known to pull out a jar of sunflower seed butter at diners before :)

And I just road-tripped from ATL to Charlotte, NC! We played “I’m Thinking of Something,” the license plate game, iSpy!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Early Spring

9 Beth @ DiningAndDishing March 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I’m from Cleveland originally and the way you describe Atlanta sounds a lot like the way I always hear visitors describe Cleveland! These days downtown is quite empty but there are so many great restaurants and spots in other little pockets of town. Anywhere you go, it always pays to know a local :).
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..Happy Spring Blossoms

10 Allison March 20, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I’ve never been to hot-lanta and never had much desire to go, but you made it sound pretty great. I would love a good road trip right now.
Allison recently posted..Friday Confessions

11 Amanda March 20, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Glad you enjoyed Atlanta. I traveled there for work for about two months straight and preferred staying in the Midtown area to Downtown (never left my hotel downtown). I enjoyed running around Piedmont Park, found a Trader Joe’s and a Mellow Mushroom, and made the most of my stay there alone! I stayed at the Loews Hotel, which has an Exhale Spa/Fitness center, so I even treated myself to some spin classes and a manicure!

12 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm

We’d always play the A to Z sign game. You start with the letter A and have to find a word on a sign that starts with A and then you switch turns and move on to B. It’s fun but it really sucks if you get stuck with Z or Q!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Another One Bites the Dust

13 Jessica March 20, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Next time you come to Atlanta and want to stay in the city, I recommend staying in Midtown. Loews and the W on 14th Street have a great proximity to Piedmont Park. If you’re willing to run a few more miles, I recommend running through the park and into the Virginia Highlands – maybe even Inman Park and through L5P – super eclectic. All of the roads have sidewalks, some awesome charming homes, shops, restaurants and more. Definitely don’t run alone after dark though.
Jessica recently posted..spring cleaning

14 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 20, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I visited Atlanta last spring and also stayed on the outskirts of town, although I can’t remember exactly where. I DO know that I absolutely LOVED it and now hope to live there someday! Based on the one night I spent downtown though, I can totally understand why you’d have a bad initial impression–I was not a fan either!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Brunch recipe: Farm Fresh Eggs with Fig, Parsley, and Honey

15 Lily March 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I’ve never been to Atlanta! This post makes me want to check it out! And your veggie burger looks great :)
Lily recently posted..A-Z Survey

16 Jessica March 20, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I live in Atlanta, so I’m glad you changed your mind! I actually work in the building you took a picture of (one on the left)!

17 Serena March 20, 2012 at 7:11 pm

It is weird to take peanut butter to breakfast, but George used to take his own cucumber to the diner and I’ve been guilty of bringing my own salad dressing. Weird is the only way to be anyway.

18 Beka March 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Your trip to Atlanta looked great! I love Atlanta too. I have stayed downtown for one night, and I agree – there is not a lot to do there. I definitely prefer the outer areas! I love love love the Aquarium and lots of awesome eateries!

My favorite game to play in the car was ‘punch buggy’. My little brother never stood a chance! ;)

19 Deb March 20, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I live in Atlanta and wish I could have told you some great places to visit. I just did a run in Olympic Park this weekend and had forgotten how much I enjoy downtown. The Virginia Highlands are wonderful!!! Let me know next time and I will give you some ideas!

20 Dana March 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I’m glad that you had a better experience in Atlanta this time around! World Peace Cafe is pretty good. I used to work in Sandy Springs and they have a variety of restaurants that I loved! In fact, you were right near the place where they film Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta, and also several other really great restaurants! I live in the metro ATL area, which I love way better than the congested city.
Dana recently posted..Manteresting: the Pinterest for Men

21 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 20, 2012 at 9:38 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bringing your own jar of Almond Butter. The people who comment about it obviously don’t know the power of nut butter and oats! :)
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Flirty Girl Fitness LIVE Review

22 Angela March 20, 2012 at 9:44 pm

“It was basically they’re ‘famous’ peace burger (veggie burger) on top of a bed of greens, tomato, carrots, beets, and onion.”

The following link may be of use to you:

23 Kat March 22, 2012 at 8:29 am

Is Derek Hispanic? I love Atlanta, glad you came around to it as a city :-)

24 Meghann March 22, 2012 at 11:32 am

Yes – he’s 1/2 Honduran :)