more ยป" />

Funny Habits

by Meghann on March 20, 2012

It’s funny the little habits that we inherit from our parents that we don’t think much of since we’ve been around them our entire lives, but a stranger from the outside can pick up on. I know I’ve inherited some strange ones from my parents and – after spending the last 4 days with Derek’s family – I know he has inherited some too.

For instance… Night had fallen by the time we made it back to Tampa this evening and I noticed none of the interior lights came on as everyone exited the vehicle. I was trying to locate my belonging in the backseat, so I politely asked Derek’s mom why the lights weren’t on – even though I was pretty sure I already knew the answer. She flicked the switch on and I heard her repeat the same phrase that Derek has uttered a million times, “we don’t want to accidentally kill the battery, do we?” I couldn’t help but let out a little giggle – like mother, like son. Derek says the same thing every time I bug him that the light doesn’t come on when the doors open in his car. He’s the only one I know that has that setup in his car and now I know where he gets it from.

When I told Derek about this, he just shrugged his shoulders and told me he really hadn’t thought much of it before. Like I said above, if it’s something we’ve done our entires lives, we don’t think it’s anything different until someone else points it out. I know Derek has pointed out a few of mine in the past, like when I leave the butt of the bread in the bag to ‘keep the bread fresh’ or when I place the syrup in the fridge because ‘that’s just where it goes.’ Both are things that my parents did and both are things I still do today.

Can you think of any habits your significant other have that he/she has picked up from their parents? What about any habits of your own?

The trip home was relatively quickly. I was able to work until my laptop battery died, then I proceeded to sleep the rest of the way home (it’s amazing how a little sleep speeds up any trip ;) ).

I had an apple around 5:00

A turkey Publix sub for dinner

And a piece of dark chocolate pistachio toffee from Trader Joe’s for dessert.

After two weeks in a row of traveling, it feels so good to be home.

No more road trips for me please.

At least, not for a while.

A good while.

Staying put is just fine. :)

1 Ali @SeeAliEatSeeAliRun March 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm

You need to keep track of some of these shared traits for when you guys have children!

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 20, 2012 at 10:55 pm

When people don’t have the light set to come on when the doors open, it drives me crazy! It’s scary getting into a car at night without any lights!

3 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 20, 2012 at 11:00 pm

There are SO many things like that I do and don’t really even know why.. strange! And I always put the syrup in the fridge.. isn’t that where it’s supposed to go!!?

4 Mandy March 20, 2012 at 11:04 pm

It’s funny that you posted this today. My fiance pointed something out on Saturday that I do just like my dad. When I’m paying with cash at the bar if I have any dollar bills left after paying for my first drink I will slide them under my drink napkin until I need to pay for my next drink.

5 Laura March 20, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I can definitely think of some habits that my husband picked up from his family… and aren’t the kinds of things I can bring up without getting mad :)

6 Shannon March 20, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Yes! My boyfriend and his mom are both weird about meat. Like they pick “fatty parts” off meat when it’s not even a fatty part. He also didn’t eat eggs for his whole childhood since his mom didn’t eat them and used to tell people he didn’t eat them bc he was allergic. It’s definitely funny how your parents influence your habits.

7 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 21, 2012 at 12:04 am

How funny that he does that. I’m sure I’ve picked up a million different things from my mom, but I can’t personally pick them out myself either.

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 21, 2012 at 6:27 am

Oh girl, just you wait until you’re married. I love my husband so much, but some of those things he’s picked up from his parents aren’t so cute anymore haha! There are certain foods brands, for example, that he wants me to buy because it’s the kind his mom bought. Or he leaves the iron plugged in, because that’s what his parents always did … whereas I always like to unplug it, because that’s what MY mom did. So I’m sure he finds my little habits that I’ve picked up just as annoying sometimes!! ;)

9 Olivia March 21, 2012 at 6:32 am

Pretty sure most maple syrups I’ve ever seen say refrigerate after opening – it’s not weird! But maybe that’s Canada? Anyways I’ve seen maple syrup not refrigerated with mold growing in it….. so this is important!

10 Miranda @ Biting Life March 21, 2012 at 6:38 am

I also leave the butt of the bread in the bag and put the maple syrup in the fridge!! haha. I’m sure there’s TONS of things I do like that, but it’s hard to think of by yourself.

Also… the interior lights in my car don’t work for some reason and it’s constantly awful because I can never manage to do anything after sunset that involves finding anything in my car, haha.

11 Serena March 21, 2012 at 7:13 am

I’m pretty sure everything I do is normal.

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 21, 2012 at 7:24 am

Haha that’s cute! I can’t think of any habits I have (although I’m SURE I do) but I don’t is that whenever my parents are driving up to our house, they unbuckle right when pulling into the driveway, rather than waiting until the car is parked. For some reason this has bothered me since I can remember and I REFUSE to follow that habit!

13 Rebecca March 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm

HA! I was recently driving with a coworker and she does this. So weird!

14 Emily March 21, 2012 at 7:46 am

But you’ll be in Cincinnati in a few short weeks!

15 Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air March 21, 2012 at 8:40 am

Yum, that toffee looks so good!! Definitely going on my to-buy list…

16 Cait's Plate March 21, 2012 at 9:55 am

Oooh I haven’t seen that bar at TJ’s! Looks awesome.

I’m my parents daughter through and through – I’ve picked up pretty much all of their zany habits!

17 Amber March 21, 2012 at 9:55 am

I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and I’m dying for a Trader Joe’s to open near me in Dallas. It’s coming. It’s just not coming fast enough. When it does I’ll be thinking of all the things you’ve posted as I’m walking down all those glorious aisles. lol

18 Alyse March 21, 2012 at 10:15 am

When I have a head of iceberg lettuce I disassemble it by leaf. My feller just rips a chunk out. I needed to borrow a head of lettuce once from his mom and there was a big chunk out of it! I absolutely understand.

(Lurker for a month, first comment.)

19 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life March 21, 2012 at 10:35 am

I need some of that pistachio toffee in my life. I might drive the hour to TJs this weekend just to find it!

20 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe March 21, 2012 at 10:47 am

My husband picked up something from his dad that drives me nuts. Whenever he answers the phone to a number that he doesn’t know, he lowers his voice to sound more “assertive.” He thinks it gives him the upper hand in the conversation by sounding dominant, I think it’s just unnecessarily aggressive and makes customer service people less likely to be helpful. He did pick up a lot of really great traits from his parents, but that one makes me cringe.

21 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed March 21, 2012 at 11:47 am

syrup, ketchup, mustard, ALL condiments go IN the fridge IN the door.

22 Meghann March 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm

23 Doc (The Healthy Ph.D) March 21, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I do the car-light thing.

My parents do not. I think I drove an old junky car for so long that when I got my nice, new car that had the automated light-off timer, it made me too nervous that the light would never turn off. So, it’s off all the tmie now.