15 for Friday

by Meghann on March 16, 2012

15 miles. Done.

Now that wasn’t so bad. The hardest part is always getting out the door (oh, and those first couple of miles where you realize just how far you still have to go aren’t very fun either).

My alarm went off at 5:00 this morning. I made a peanut butter and strawberry quesadilla for some pre-run fuel and geared up to head out the door.

I had mapped out a 15 mile route from my house the night before and made the mistake of not double checking it before i headed out. I assumed I was following it correctly, but I made an early turn and ended up cutting a mile out of the route. Oops.

It wasn’t too big of a deal. Once I figured this out (with about 4 miles to go) I decided to just make a quick pit stop at home and grab Maddie for the last mile. I was at that ‘I’m just ready to be done’ stage when I picked Maddie up and she was the breath of fresh air I needed to push myself through the final mile. She was so full of spunk and so excited to run that I just let her take the lead and had her basically pull me around the block. My last mile was 8:40. She’s a strong pup.

The other miles were pretty good too. I had a goal of maintaining at or around a 9:00 min/mi pace and managed to hit that goal dead on. I could definitely feel my lack of training the past couple of weeks. ugh. I need to work on that.

For fuel, I carried my favorite Camelbak water bottle with a Gu Brew fizz tablet added to the water inside.

IMG_0641.jpg

The Gu Brew tablets are just like the Nuun tablets (with the added electrolytes and all that jazz), only I think these taste better (Nuun has an artificial sugar taste to them that I don’t care for). The lemon lime Gu Brew tastes more like a fizzy Gatorade. They’re pretty good and don’t make my stomach churn when I drink them.

I had a mini package of sports beans at mile 9 when I stopped to refill my water bottle at a First Watch (did you know Publix doesn’t open until 8:00am around here?!). I’m not sure why, but I think my body is starting to reject the idea of eating on runs. Once upon a time, I could eat anything on my long runs and be fine. Now I don’t get hungry at all and literally have to force the sports beans (or gu or chomps) down my throat to make sure I have the fuel I need to run. So strange. Has anyone else had this problem?

After my run I still wasn’t hungry. I loaded the dishwasher, downed a glass of water, made a cup of tea, and nothin’. I ended up making a bowl of cereal, but my body was kind of ‘meh’ to it all. I’m sure the post-long run hunger will kick in later, my body is probably still trying to figure out what I just did to it.

In the bowl:

• 1/2 cup shredded wheat
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • Apple Cinnamon Chobani (my first time trying the new flavor – I really liked it!)
  • apple
  • walnuts
  • honey peanut butter

All of my measurements up there should really say ‘heaping’ servings because I got a little crazy with the pouring and grabbing of everything. So let’s round the cereal measurements up a 1/4 of a cup and add in a few handfuls. ;)

I’m so happy it’s Friday. :)

Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend?!

1 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident March 16, 2012 at 10:36 am

Geez you are so accomplished already on this Friday! I am jealous. I got up to workout this morning and instead made hummus (weird, I know) and sat on the couch. oopsss. I guess I’ll be running later on.

2 Cait's Plate March 16, 2012 at 10:44 am

Congrats! Such a great way to kick off a weekend!! My weekend is going to be kicking back and relaxing! I NEED it!

3 Stacy L. March 16, 2012 at 10:46 am

I’ve actually been contemplating just that. I’ve never actually eaten gus or taken in any type of fuel while running. I prefer to just drink something with calories, but I’m wondering if that’s going to be detrimental once I (eventually) decide to run anything more than a half marathon.

Also, I’m completely intrigued by your strawberry and peanut butter combination.

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 16, 2012 at 10:55 am

I definitely don’t get hungry on long runs, but I can feel my blood sugar dropping and definitely need fuel (GU gel or sports beans) to fuel up.

5 Sana March 16, 2012 at 10:57 am

How far can Maddie run?

6 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 11:20 am

She’s can run up to 5. I’m sure she could run farther, but that’s the farthest I’ve taken her. :)

7 Hillary March 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

I feel the same way during long runs (and often times after them): instead of feeling hungry, I’ll feel a little nauseous. I’m sure it’s just my body being more focused on recovering, and the hunger always kicks in a little while later.

That being said, I’m running my second half marathon tomorrow! Cue the pre-race jitters!

8 deva at deva by definition March 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

I have trouble eating on long runs – it makes my stomach upset. I’ve pretty much decided that it’s gu or powerbar gels all the way, which I can “eat” straight, or mix with my water. My favorite right now is the powerbar gel in vanilla or strawberry-banana.

9 Glenneth March 16, 2012 at 11:14 am

Question: I have that same Camelbak bottle. Where did you get its accessory and what is it called? I could use something like that. Thanks!

10 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 11:19 am

I ordered the bottle off of Amazon and it came with it. Here’s the one I ordered: http://amzn.to/FO3htm I just did a quick google search to see if they were sold separately, but couldn’t find it. :(

11 Glenneth March 16, 2012 at 11:21 am

Thanks Meghann. I happen to LOVE water bottles, so buying a new one is NOT out of the question. Thank you so much for your quick response.

12 Dani March 16, 2012 at 11:19 am

I’m having the same hunger issues this morning–I did an intense Livefit chest/triceps routine this morning and came back to my apartment kinda nauseous. I’m trying to choke down a smoothie right now! I just keep reminding myself that I need the protein NOW to prevent soreness and make those muscles grow!

How does the fizz work out for you in the water bottle? I put sparkling water in my Klean Kanteen once and it almost exploded in my face when I opened it to take a sip.

13 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 11:22 am

It does create a nice ‘pop’ when I turn the nob and release the pressure, but nothing severe. Once you start running, you shake the fizz out and it’s not bad.

14 Brittany Welsh March 16, 2012 at 11:23 am

This makes me feel like I can run 15 miles right now! Getting up and out in the morning is definitely the biggest hurdle, any tips?

15 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 11:35 am

I keep my cellphone on the other side of the room, that way I’m forced to get up when my alarm goes off and turn it off. At that point my dog is awake and she know it’s time to go outside to potty and she won’t let me go back to sleep until her business has been done. ;)

16 Laura March 16, 2012 at 11:23 am

i have the same problem. i actually don’t fuel on long runs. i haven’t done research on this (which i should) but how bad is that really? i feel no desire to eat at all. i wonder if i could go faster if i did eat? i’ve never really tried. i also ran 15 this morning and felt so nauseous right after! it’s like you KNOW you need to eat but your body just doesn’t want it.

17 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 11:41 am

I’m not an expert, but I know it’s important based off of personal experience. There are times where I’ve felt drained during a run or race and taking a gu/sports bean/chomp provided me with the much needed boost of energy I was after. I’ve also read several articles where elite runners have had ‘fuel issues’ that cost them their races. There was a recent article where the elite runner had to force herself to eat on the run to teach her body to accept it and she ended up winning her next race.

18 RunEatRepeat March 17, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I never want to eat during or after a long run, and talked to an RD about it. She called it “self care”. You might not be hungry, but nutritionally you need to fuel your body. I always think my belly is traumatized from long runs (I’m not made for it!), so this is something I’ve had to overcome :)

19 Mandi March 16, 2012 at 11:45 am

Sounds like a great start to the day! Fueling during runs is tough. I’m not a fan of anything I have to chew that’s going to sit in my stomach like brick, so I stick to gu and gatorade. Afterwards, I’m usually ravenous though, so there are no problems with refueling there. :)

20 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 16, 2012 at 11:49 am

Great job with the 15 miles! I did 9, and I was pooped by the end! But I think it’s so psychological … I always get tired at the last mile, regardless of how far I run!

Have a great day!

21 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 11:52 am

That’s so true. I’m always mentally prepared for whatever distance I’m running – by the last mile I’m done, even it’s just for 3 miles. :)

22 Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf March 16, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Great job! I’ve got 15 on Sunday and wish I had it done already, like you. Have a great weekend!

23 Claire March 16, 2012 at 12:23 pm

What race are you currently training for?

24 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 12:26 pm
25 Jordan@almondjay March 16, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Seeing some college friends!

26 Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf March 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Darnit! I’m running the Capital City Half in Columbus the day before. My girl friend, who is running it, too, is coming down to do the Pig and make it a double. :)

27 Sara J March 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

That’s how I always feel when running… force down a gel for energy, then don’t feel hungry until at least an hour after. After a race I normally drink 1-2 bottles of water, and maybe nibble on yogurt or fruit, but meh.

28 Vikki March 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Can it really be called a quesadilla when there is no cheese? Hmmm….

29 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 12:55 pm

nutty-dilla?

30 Vikki March 16, 2012 at 1:44 pm

That works better for me. :)

31 Beth @ DiningAndDishing March 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I hate eating on long runs too! I always feel like breathing, chewing and running is just too much to balance, once on mile 8 or so :).

32 ct cupcake March 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I’ve been having the same issue with not being able to eat during runs and then for a few more hours post run. It’s annoying b/c I know I need to refuel but the hunger just isn’t there. This is a new development too.

33 Danielle @ Long May You Run March 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Do you think your lack of appetite has anything to do with pushing the pace a little more than you normally do on long runs? I’ve found that the faster I do longer distances, the less hunger and more nausea I have, both during and after the run. Which is a huge bummer because eating is my #1 favorite past time =)

34 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I think you’re onto something there. I noticed the same thing during my last couple of half marathons as well, when I was pushing myself outside my limits.

35 Kathleen March 16, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Wow 15 miles! Congrats!! Such a good way to kick the last day of the week :)

I was wondering if you have any tips to rise your motivation when you’re running long distances all by yourself. I’m training for my second half-marathon and I will have to run most of the long runs alone since my husband (he is normally my running buddy!) will be out of town during the next few months…

36 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Have a kick-ass playlist. :) I always set mini goals for myself. Instead of looking at it as 15 miles ahead of me, I break it up. I semi-knew my route today based on landmarks and street signs, so I told myself to just get to the next landmark/street sign. And then the next one. And then the next. Pretty soon I was almost done. I love running with a running buddy, but there’s also something fun about running by yourself. Just think of it as ‘me’ time where you can think about what ever you want and just let your mind wander. It’s a great way to clear your head and just be you.

37 Kathleen March 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Thanks a lot :) When creating your kick-ass playlist, do you take into account the rhythm of songs ? Where do you find new songs to add to your playlist?

38 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Twitter is a good place to find good running music! I usually do a call out to get some ideas. I’m honestly pretty bad with music and really just listen to the radio and pull what I like from there. My current playlist is big on songs that make me want to sing and dance – apparently that’s what inspires me to run :)

39 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm

My hunger from long runs never truly kicked in until the next day.. at which time I was RAVENOUS!

40 Serena March 16, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Awesome run! I am usually very hungry after a long run unless it is a race than I am usually too sick to look at food.

41 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 16, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Good job!!

When it’s hot out I don’t get as hungry during runs and am not as hungry post-run. I don’t know if it has to do with hydration or the extra strain on my body but it definitely takes longer for the post-run hunger to kick in.

42 Laura is Undeterrable March 16, 2012 at 2:02 pm

First race of the year on sunday! 15k! And of course, I’m starting to get sick…

I find that I am never hungry after longer runs (more than 13-14ish). It’s the NEXT day that I almost gnaw my arm off.

43 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Good Luck!!! I love 15Ks! Such a great race distance :)

44 Jess March 16, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Hey :)

Just wondering when you are going to type up your final thoughts on SXSW? Just looking forward to reading it :)

45 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Yes, I plan to! Just need to get around to it. :)

46 Coco March 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Every time I read about someone running 10+ miles it blows my mind.. Good way for you to start off the weekend thats for sure! When I did a 6 hour adventure race I was pretty much forced (by my captain/teacher) to drink every 20 minutes and eat every 30-45 minutes. We’re not talking a full meal or snack but just a bite or two and a couple chugs of Nuun (he is really into the Kola flavor- like flat coke- and made it with 2 or 3 tablets instead of 1 and it was like drinking syrup, hah) As we got to the 3-4 hour marks the thought of eating or drinking made me sick- but had to choke it down anyway- knowing the importance of staying hydrated while racing in the summer of southern CA. I thought I would have been starving- but it didn’t really hit me until a day or two after- so weird!

47 Cait March 16, 2012 at 4:43 pm

haha did you really run EXACTLY 9min miles for each mi or did you reset your garmin once you got back.

I don’t blame ya if you did! It made for a great pic and I would have too!

48 Allpointswhole March 17, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I never get hungry during or after long runs… Strange