Party Hoppin’ at #SXSW

by Meghann on March 12, 2012

aka eating my way through #SXSW one party at a time ;)

Now THAT was a fun day. The clouds cleared, the sun made its presence known, and I saw blue skies for the first time in three days. Thank you, Austin – I think I may have fallen just a little more in love with you. ;)

My morning began with a 3 mile run on the gym treadmill and a bowl of Cherry Chobani, apple, and Kashi Go Lean Crunch.

My team had a meeting with the Chevy CEO at 10:00am (such a great guy!), then we were on our own for the rest of the day. The sun was just starting to peep through the clouds, so I decided to take my time heading to my sessions and soak up all the sun and warmth that I could.

On the way I spotted the Today Show’s ‘Munchie Mobile’ which was handing out free breakfast until noon.

Which would you pick?

I selected the ‘Fresh N’ Fruity’ as my mid-morning snack. The toasted coconut added a nice crunch to the fruit.

On the next block I found a coffee shop and bought a non-fat latte. Yum. :)

IMG_0387.JPG IMG_0388.JPG

And then I found the StumbleUpon lounge

And then Foursquare

IMG_0391.JPG IMG_0392.JPG

Foursquare was handing out breakfast tacos. I grabbed a sweet potato one and ate it during my next session. Breakfast tacos seem to be on every menu around here! I’m happy I finally got to try one.

IMG_0396.JPG IMG_0397.JPG

My first session was very meh. It was hosted by an online magazine and the description was a bit different than what was presented.

My second was about the psychology of narcissism and how it affects brands. It was very blogger focused, which was ok – I was just expecting it to come from the brand’s side a bit more.

I met up with Rachel after the narcissism panel for lunch. She was on a bit of a time crunch, so we decided to keep it easy and eat at the bacon-cone place we had discovered in the convention center the first day.

IMG_0407.jpg IMG_0403.JPG

They add bacon pieces to the waffle cone batter (yum) for a sweet and savory cone, then fill it with things like eggs, chicken tenders, tater tots, etc.

My bacon waffle cone was filled with eggs, bacon, and tortilla chips. It was amazing. :)

I was on my own for the rest of the afternoon. This was my last full day in Austin and the sun was shining for the first time since I’d been there – I just couldn’t spend it in conference rooms. I wanted to explore!

So, I party hopped. And it was awesome. ;)

Google Village is more of a street than a village. Google takes up 4-5 house along Rainey Street and they give each house a different theme (Android, Places, Discovery, and Development). Each house is a basic party house with something different to offer.

IMG_0412.JPG IMG_0413.JPG

I zoned in on the vanilla ice cream sandwiches at the first house.

IMG_0415.JPG IMG_0416.JPG

And was happy to rock the google sunglasses they were handing out, since the sun was officially out in all its glory.

IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG  IMG_0428.JPG

I found some salad at the Discovery House and made myself a cup – I’ve been missing my greens!

IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0431.JPG

I also spotted Hey Cupcakes! at the Blackberry House.

Really? All for me? ;)

I had about 1/4 of the carrot cake. It was good, but the lemon one from yesterday was a zillion times better. I should have just grabbed another one of those. ;)

I wandered the streets a bit after leaving Google Village, but eventually made my way to the Nike+ party.

Nike had turned a parking lot into a big outdoor play gym. They had basketball, soccer, dodgeball, and skateboarding going on.

When they asked if I wanted to join in on a game of dodgeball, I said yes! Of course, that doesn’t mean I was good – I was out fast!

IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0442.JPG

I went across the street to the Spredfast lounge to find a restroom

But ended up finding good beer (local craft brews rock)

And a fun photo booth to play with.

Now all those parties were great, but I think Bing takes the cake.

We had to register a chipped band with our Facebook page.

Then we could ‘scan’ the band around the party to instantly ‘like’ things on Facebook.

Like this.

Screen shot 2012-03-12 at 12.08.13 AM.png

It also made it easy to instantly upload photos to your Facebook page. They snapped a photo with a camera that was attached to an ipad, then I scanned my wristband to an adapter on the ipad and it instantly went to my Facebook feed.

Screen shot 2012-03-12 at 1.01.34 AM.png

Pretty cool, right? Also, a little scary.

The Bing party was full of free drinks, free food, and fun activities.

IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0479.JPG

Libboo had a booth set up in the tent where you could create a sock puppet.

My guy needs a name…

If you tweeted a photo with your puppet, Libboo was donating $1 to the National Literacy Trust. They also pledged $1 for every RT. (You can RT mine from this link ;) )

Screen shot 2012-03-12 at 12.10.46 AM.png

The food trucks were in the back.

IMG_0464.JPG IMG_0465.JPG

I ordered the spinach and cheese empanada from the mmmpanada truck, but ate less than half – it wasn’t great.

IMG_0467.JPG IMG_0469.JPG

And despite already having one ice cream sandwich and some cupcake today, my sweet tooth was still going crazy for the Cool Haus custom cookie ice cream sandwich truck.

I ordered one butterscotch and one red velvet cookie with sea salt caramel ice cream in the middle.

Wow. Just wow. I ate all of it. Then debated getting another. Too bad this truck isn’t closer to Tampa or Orlando, I would totally hire them for my wedding!

One last party…

IMG_0482.JPG IMG_0484.JPG

Done. I’d say I did retty good. ;)

By that point it was late, my legs were tired, and I needed vegetables. I caught a Chevy to Whole Foods and got my veggies in while resting my legs.

IMG_0485.JPG IMG_0486.jpg

It was after I finished my dinner that I realized how horrible Austin cabs are to get a hold of and ended up being stranded at Whole Foods for close to 2.5 hours. Luckily I was able to sweet talk my teammates into giving me a lift home when they were done doing what they wanted to do. :)

I had sooo much fun today. Even though I was party hopping by myself, I didn’t mind it – it was actually more fun that way. I wasn’t afraid to introduce myself to new people, I didn’t have to worry about leaving too early or late, and everyone was so sweet and welcoming. It was awesome. :)

1 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 12, 2012 at 7:03 am

Wow … I’m tired after just reading that post! ;) But it looked like so much fun!! I think the bacon waffle cone and that unique ice cream sandwich would have been my favorites!! :)

2 Hillary March 12, 2012 at 7:21 am

I am drooling over nearly every single food item in this post. Bacon waffle cones?! Ice cream sandwiches and cupcakes and empanadas?! I clearly need to get to Austin, if only to eat.

3 Justine @LifeWithCheeseburgers March 12, 2012 at 11:14 am

I was just thinking the same thing. Thank goodness the hubs and I have plane tickets to Vegas next week for an interview he has–hopefully we will have some options that are a little more fun and unique than some of the things we find here in ND! ;)

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 12, 2012 at 7:56 am

Looks like you are having a great time! So many great foods in this post. :)

5 Athena @ Fitness & Feta March 12, 2012 at 7:59 am

Hi! I’ve tagged you in my “Eleven Things” post. Hope you’ll play along :)

Have a good one!
- Athena

6 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 12, 2012 at 8:05 am

What an amazing day :)

And that ice cream sandwich… oh my gosh!

7 Caroline March 12, 2012 at 8:24 am

It looks like it was an awesome day, and the food looks fantastic. I’ve only ever eaten out of a food truck a few times in my life.

8 diana@mymarblerye March 12, 2012 at 8:25 am

cool haus is so freaking delicious!!!

9 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 12, 2012 at 8:27 am

Wow what an great time! It seems like you have had a ton of experiences that you could only get attending an event like this. Looks like you have had a blast road tripping! :-)

10 corey @ learning patience March 12, 2012 at 8:37 am

WOW….SXSW has really uped it’s game in 6 years! crazy…. Looks like a blast M…glad you are soaking it all in… Guess what? I ran my 1st half this past weekend! It was awesome!

xoxo from Trinidad

11 Heather @ Better With Veggies March 12, 2012 at 9:10 am

Looks like SUCH a fun day, I’m so jealous of all the tweets and updates I’ve seen from friends enjoying the party. Glad you got to take part and love all the pictures! :)

12 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 12, 2012 at 10:00 am

Wow.. that sounds like SO much fun!!!And I am seriously jealous over the cookie ice cream sandwich..

13 jennyv March 12, 2012 at 10:20 am

My college called ice cream cookie sandwiches “Cool Cookies” and that seriously looks like the best one I’ve ever seen… Great choices!

14 Samantha March 12, 2012 at 10:25 am

Such a fun and busy weekend! Your sock puppet reminds me of the FRIENDS episode where Phoebe’s always making sock bunnies, hehe.

15 melissa March 12, 2012 at 10:25 am

You had a busy day! I can’t believe you were stuck at whole foods that long! I would have flipped! Also, i have heard a lot about the texas breakfast taco!

16 Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 12, 2012 at 10:35 am

Bacon baked into a waffle cone?!?!?! Count me in!!!! Glad you had so much fun!

17 Emily March 12, 2012 at 10:44 am

Wow all of the parties look really fun!

18 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe March 12, 2012 at 11:01 am

And suddenly my lunch looks terrible by comparison… Haha! Glad you had a great time!

19 Justine @LifeWithCheeseburgers March 12, 2012 at 11:13 am

I wish we had more fun places to eat here in North Dakota! People aren’t quick to embrace very “different” food ideas around here, although it’s getting better in some of the bigger cities (big here still means really small anywhere else lol).

Although I can’t imagine too many people saying no to cones filled with bacon!!

20 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 12, 2012 at 11:41 am

Looks like an awesome day and tons of cool eats! Although I have to be honest they don’t look like they’re too good about serving the gluten free crowd, I don’t think there’s much that you showed that I could have eaten! Haha but I guess it’s Texas!

21 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed March 12, 2012 at 11:46 am

if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

22 Kate @ ibrokemyumbrella March 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Wow! SXSW looks like an absolute blast. That ice cream sandwich cookie thing looks ridiculously delicious too! Was that the best thing you ate all weekend?

23 Chelsea March 12, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Do they allow just anyone in practically to those places if you’re in the SXSW area? Or are you only able to get in because you are part of the Chevy thing?

24 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 12, 2012 at 12:33 pm

WOW–what a day!! I WANT that cookie/ice cream sandwich….RIGHT now ;) YUMM

25 Rachel Wilkerson March 12, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Oh my gosh, you had SUCH an adventure yesterday! I’m sad I missed out on all this stuff but I agree — sometimes it’s better to party hop alone. So jealous of your Foursquare tee btw…hoping to get one today!

Anyway you have inspired me to hit the ground today and get as much free food/drink/swag as I can! Currently waiting for the Skype party to keep it going. :)

26 Laura March 12, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Looks awesome…I’d absolutely love party hopping and it seems like you’re getting the most of your time there! Someone else may be able to answer me, but what exactly is the point of sxsw? Like, what is it exactly? Who attends? For some reason I thought it was a bonnaroo type event with lots of musicians. Guessing I’m off on this….. Clarification?

27 Kate March 12, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Laura, SXSW is a massive conference that’s generally in three parts — music, film, and interactive. SXSWi is over today, but film events go on until 3/17 and music runs tomorrow through Saturday.

You’ll find all kinds of people going, depending on who they are, what they do, and what kind of badge they get — film is basically a film festival, so you can imagine who it attracts. Music is not so much a Bonnaroo type festival as a massive industry and indie showcase that takes over most of the city. All three parts have their own keynotes, conference sessions and expos, in addition to the parties/events/shows/films.

28 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 12, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Looks like so much fun, and wow some great eats as well

29 Cindy March 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Such a great post! I feel like I was there with you the entire day. The fooooood…bacon. And pink porta potties! Don’t see those at races. Safe trip home!

30 Army Amy* March 12, 2012 at 6:19 pm

You were all over the place, Girl! SXSW looks so fun!*

31 Katy March 12, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Isnt Cool Haus the BEST!! FYI they are in NY too… usually in Union Square… check em out next time you are here!

32 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 12, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Looks like so much fun! …that post also made me hungry and I just finished eating! ;)

33 Joss March 12, 2012 at 10:29 pm

oh my goodness…that ice cream sammie looks amazing! How could you deny yourself all that yummy food while you were there (answer: you can’t :P) Glad you indulged!

34 MrsSwan March 12, 2012 at 11:34 pm

retweeted and AWESOME pics!

35 Stacy L. March 13, 2012 at 3:16 pm

The bacon in an ice cream cone made me both curious and nervous all at once. Awesome photos!

36 Melissa March 13, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Omg, just found your blog, YOU=AMAZING! Reading this post was awesome, felt like I was there! Glad you had fun!

37 Molly March 13, 2012 at 11:54 pm

looks like you’ve been enjoying Texas! I love Austin!!

38 Katherine March 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I had left you a comment, but I guess with our bad internet connection it never went through (that sort of thing tends to happen when you’re working from an RV). Anyways, I just wanted to thank you for helping us get the word out there about our sock puppet campaign to raise money for the National Literacy Trust. I’m really glad you enjoyed the party!

P.S. I had one of those cookie ice cream sandwiches (one potato chip and butterscotch cookie and one snickerdoodle with the brown butter and bacon ice cream) and it was insanely delicious. I’m still having dreams about it.