more ยป" />

I’m ready for ya, #SXSW

by Meghann on March 10, 2012

South by Southwest – Take II.

Today, I’m ready for it.

Yesterday I was so unprepared for the cold and rainy weather. I came to Austin expecting warmth and sunshine – and packed accordingly. My suitcase was full of dresses, cowboy boots, and light sweaters, not the oversized sweaters or rain boots that this weather actually calls for.

Thank goodness for Target!

Last night we went on a whim and stocked up on rain boots, umbrellas, warmer tops, and jackets.

Much better.

Much, much better.

It’s amazing how much more enjoyable having the right clothes on makes the experience. Now I don’t mind exploring the city a little more and getting all I can get out of the awesome events associated with SXSW.

When I didn’t go to bed until well after midnight last night, I decided to postpone my run this morning until Sunday. I got a full 8 hours of sleep and enjoyed every dreamy minute of it.

For breakfast, I wanted to try the packet of walnut butter i picked up at Whole Foods last night.

I thought it was very fitting considering my current obsession with walnuts.

Eh. The walnut butter was a tad bland for my liking. It really didn’t taste like anything and was lacking that distinct rich flavor that other nut butters hold. You could have told me this was any other nut and I would never have known the difference.

The walnut butter was added to the two packet of original instant oats that I made with hot water from the hotel coffee maker and topped with a peach, and Kashi Go Lean Crisp.

Easy hotel breakfast for the win! ๐Ÿ™‚

Rachel met me at my hotel this morning and we carpooled it to downtown. We scored a killer spot near the convention center and it wasn’t long before a Catch a Chevy vehicle pulled up and asked if we needed a ride.

Chevy has this really great program for SXSW called Catch a Chevy. There are dozens of chevy vehicles scattered throughout downtown for the week that are willing to take you anywhere you need to go in downtown (for free!). All you have to do is flag one down or have one find you.

With the cold and the rain, these vehicles are very in demand this weekend. They’re warm and dry inside and have a charging dock in case you need to breathe some new life into your phone on the drive. We only had a few blocks to reach our destination, but not having to walk those blocks in the rain was a huge win! ๐Ÿ™‚

The Catch A Chevy wasn’t the only cool thing we discovered this morning. Apparently there’s free food and drinks on just about every corner.

This guy (sponsored by FourSquare) immediately caught my eye.

Free espresso with steamed milk?

Yes, please!

After we grabbed our free hot drinks, we headed to our first sessions in a nearby hotel.

Now this is where the real fun begins!

Time to get my learn on!

1 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm

What a great idea from Chevy!

Stay warm and dry and enjoy the freebies! ๐Ÿ™‚
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Get Your Green On!

2 Erica March 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Enjoy! Glad you got some warmer clothes. I hate being cold – its the worst! Free espresso? I’m always in for that. Have fun girl
Erica recently posted..Cheaterโ€™s Chana Masala (Parents Need to Eat Too) & Giveaway

3 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm

What…Walnut butter, it looks so good, but bummer it was lacking flavor, I love walnuts.
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..You Put What in My Pudding

4 Jess-ThatJessGal March 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I’d heard of SXSW before, but didn’t realize it was A- a social media event (I thought it was a music festival!) and B-took up the whole city! Can’t wait to hear more!

PS. I’m totally jealous that you are spending the weekend with Rachel. She is one of my favorite bloggers, a role model (even though we are the same age!) and always so supportive of my own blogging endeavors.
Jess-ThatJessGal recently posted..Day Light Savings Listening List

5 Rachel Wilkerson March 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm

LIKE.
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..{the life} Checking In & Checking Out at SXSW

6 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy March 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm

It looks like a great event! Have fun learning!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Five Things Friday

7 Heather March 10, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Are you going to be doing the Livestrong/Nike 5 mile run tomorrow?
It’s free and I think they are giving out free shirts and food! Here’s the event:

Welcome to Austin, by the way!

8 Jocelyn March 10, 2012 at 6:16 pm

mmm that espresso looks delish! Even better that it was free ๐Ÿ˜€
Jocelyn recently posted..Treats From the Market

9 Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Love the Catch a Chevy idea!! Stay dry and warm!!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..Chocolate Overload Cheesecake Bars

10 Carissa March 10, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I thought SXSW was just like a film/music festival. Boy was i off! Enjoy!
Carissa recently posted..Cruising

11 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 10, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Ahhh!! You’re making me jealous I’m not there! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..A to Z About Me!

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I found the same thing with cashew butter, it was just kind of bland! Peanut will always win out in my book.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Flying South