We Have Arrived

by Meghann on March 9, 2012

We made it! SXSW 2012 baby!

We arrived in Austin a little later than planned thanks to some traffic and hotel issues. We had just enough time to throw our stuff in the hotel room before heading out to Chevy’s Road Trip Welcome Party.

Team Fresh Squeezed = VIPs ;)

Each team had a 5 minute interview with the Chevy social crew, then we were free to mingle with the other teams and Chevy execs.

My favorite part of the evening was the slideshow they put together featuring each of the teams’ journeys.

It gave us a chance to see what the other teams were up to on the road.

IMG_0235.JPG IMG_0236.JPG

We thought we could eat at the party and call it dinner, but we had no such luck.

I made a plate of the small bites, but it wasn’t enough to fill me up. I decided to hold off and just grab something later.

However, there was no shortage of alcohol. The Chevy team created custom cocktails for each of the teams. They all sounded great, but I’m really not one cocktails. A nice Shiner Bock was all I needed.

I’ve learned an important lesson this trip – it’s a small internet world out there. I had never met Joshua or Nick before this trip, but we had a lot of friends and acquaintances in common thanks to social media. I think now a days it’s hard to go to any social media event without knowing someone who knows someone who knows someone OR finding someone you already follow.

Tonight I proved that point when I met Meg, who I actually just started following last week when I read her awesome write-up on runDisney’s success in promoting the Princess Half Marathon via various social media outlets. She randomly works on the Chevy account and wanted to say hi. We spent the majority of the night talking about running and Tampa (she’s went to USF!) and I think I may have found a running buddy for the weekend. ;)

We stayed at the party until they kicked us out (at 10), then headed back to the hotel for a ‘real’ dinner. We stopped at Wal-Mart and I enjoyed a semi-real dinner thanks to Kashi.

Eh. It worked.

J and I split a dark chocolate bar for dessert.

Now that the long drive is behind us, it’s time to have some fun!

Bring it on SXSW! We’re ready for you!

1 Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 9, 2012 at 1:06 am

Glad you finally made it! Sounds like it was a fun night! What a wonderful experience you are getting to participate in!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..It’s Official!

2 Nick March 9, 2012 at 1:09 am

It was awesome getting to know you better too! Social media definitely makes the world seem that much closer to each other, and I know you’ll see that a lot this weekend! :)
Nick recently posted..Announcing the return of the SUxSW Mixtape Volume 2

3 Jeni @ stepping out March 9, 2012 at 7:04 am

Your trip sounds like so much fun!
(you might want to fix the title to the post…arrived has 2 rs. :) )

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 9, 2012 at 7:39 am

Yay for arriving! :) Looks like you had fun at the party! I’ve never seen that frozen Kashi meal before! Definitely going to look for it.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..My Grandmom’s Recipe & Sugar-Free Syrups…

5 Sarah March 9, 2012 at 8:24 am

Welcome to Austin! Let me know if you need any Austin recommendations! Hope you get to enjoy a few runs around Lady Bird Lake and through some of the awesome neighborhoods. :)

6 Meredith March 9, 2012 at 8:41 am

You’re in the city with the original Whole Foods and you went to Walmart for dinner?
Meredith recently posted..food planning

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 9, 2012 at 8:45 am

I’m so glad you all made it safely! Looks like a fun event and I’m sure you have a lot more to come!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Flying South

8 Bridget March 9, 2012 at 9:11 am

You are in Austin and you went to Walmart for dinner?

9 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 9, 2012 at 10:49 am

Love the Shiner :) Texas!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Growing Your Own Green Onions is Super Easy!

10 Christine March 9, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I love reading your blog and have been following for a couple of years. While you are are at SXSW please look for the Love Hope Strength tent or booth. They are are awesome organization that helps get people on the list to become a bone marrow/stem cell donor for patients with leukemia/lymphoma. The testing is free and it only takes a cheek swab. See if you can get your fellow travelers to do it too – you could end up saving a life! I work in Colorado at a bone marrow/stem cell transplant program and we collect cells from quite a few donors that have signed up through LHS and they literally have saved patient’s lives.
Enjoy your time in Austin!

11 Alexa March 9, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Where did you get that cute jacket you’re wearing?
Alexa recently posted..Leap Year

12 Meghann March 12, 2012 at 11:32 pm

It’s from New York and Company circa Nov. 2009

13 Katya March 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I can’t believe you bought food from Walmart for dinner. Austin is like the food capital of the US and there are a million late night options (10 isn’t even “late”). Wow.

14 Meghann March 12, 2012 at 11:33 pm

10 is late when you’ve been driving foor three days straight! Trust me, we were tired. :) I made sure to live up the Austin experience the rest of the time I was there, but WalMart was just fine for the first night.

15 Brittany March 11, 2012 at 10:27 am