#SXSWFresh – Mayde Creek Elementary

by Meghann on March 8, 2012

Hello… Houston!

Our team had our third and final stop at Mayde Creek Elementary this morning.

Mayde Creek Elementary is the last of three schools we had the honor of raising money through Adopt-A-Classroom and Chevy this week. The school is located just outside of Houston, TX and has one of the coolest libraries I’ve ever seen.

We were tempted to stay all day in the open space and read, but we had things to do and a class to see!

Next time, though. 😉

Even cooler than the library? Check out Mrs. Williams’ classroom.

IMG_0378.JPG IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0381.JPG IMG_0382.JPG IMG_0384.JPG

I loved it! So full of color, fun activities, and learning opportunities galore! The classroom really took me back to my old elementary school days and reminded me how fun learning was (still is!).

As you can tell from the photos above, Mrs. Williams’ is a hands-on teachers and wants her students to have the opportunity to learn with all types of materials and experiences. Unfortunately, she cannot always provide those for them. Mayde Creek is a low income school and most of the materials they do have were purchased out of her own pocket. They often times need school supplies since many of her students just cannot afford them. They are also in need of new classroom materials like math manipulatives for hands on math activities. They need literacy materials like books and center activities to reinforce literacy skills.

That’s why we’re here to help. 🙂

Mrs. Williams’ class had just returned from a class outing when we arrived and were still running high on the adrenaline rush that comes with any activity that breaks their normal routine. They were full of energy and more than a little excited to ask us a million questions regarding our road trip, our jobs, our lives in Florida, and so much more.

We gave them a brief geography lesson regarding how many hours it takes to get from from Orlando to Austin (18), how many miles (1200), how many states we’ve driven through on our way (5), and which states (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas). The kids were eager to learn and we were excited to share.

I think Mrs. Williams deserves a big round of applause for how great her students were. You can really tell how much love she has for her students and teaching. She made things fun and really took the time to listen to every students’ question or answer and really encouraged them to speak up.

And when they did get a little rowdy she used phrases like ‘macaroni and cheese – everybody freeze!’ and ‘hocus pocus -everybody focus!’ Loved that!

We’ve met some truly incredible kids on our journey, including my new friend Jacob (who was desperate to have his photo taken for the blog!)

Jacob told us how much he loved to run during PE class (I told him to call me when he’s ready for his race 😉 ) and how he can do ‘a million’ push-ups without breaking a sweat. He wasn’t kidding – the kid has more upper body strength than I do and he’s only 7!

Go, Jacob, Go!

We said our good-byes with one final group photo and the promise to raise enough funds so they could have all of the learning materials they need.

Don’t you want to help these little guys out?!

Come on- don’t turn us into liars! Donate to Mrs. Williams class now via our donation page. Trust me – your donations will be going to a great group of kids who really deserve the best learning experience possible. 🙂

We left the elementary school ready for lunch. Mrs. Williams gave us directions to Chuy’s and told us to enjoy the Tex-Mex food on her behalf.

We started with the traditional chips and salsa (and the bonus of a jalapeno ranch dip)

And I ordered the two chicken tacos with beans and chili rice.

We’re almost there!

Next stop – AUSTIN!!!!!

1 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 8, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I’m from Houston and Chuy’s was an excellent choice! You’re making me homesick! Have fun in Austin – it’s a cool city 🙂
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Growing Your Own Green Onions is Super Easy!

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 8, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Ahhh I love mexican! And Jacob is too cute, so is the whole class! I’m glad you’re enjoying the trip!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..So… Close… Freedom!

3 Krista March 8, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Aw Meaghann, the story of Jacob just touched my heart. What a cool kid… 🙂

4 AJ Ragosa March 8, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Good choice on Chuys! See you in Austin

5 Army Amy* March 8, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Chuy’s is so yummy! I hope the class gets the things they need. As a teacher, I know what a difference the right materials can make.*
Army Amy* recently posted..This Time Around

6 Rachel March 8, 2012 at 7:39 pm

OMG you were in Katy…my hood!

7 k March 8, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I realize you’re very busy with this trip promoting a good cause and I also realize that this post was probably rushed. However, when you have some time, I think it’s in your best interest to edit this post; the grammar mistakes are horrendous. Typically, I don’t care, but, you’re asking for donations to promote a great cause, and yet you can’t give this cause your time to make your post sound as if a professional wrote it. In the best interest for the children and the cause you’re supporting, please fix your grammar mistakes in this post. It’s only right.

8 Helene March 9, 2012 at 9:09 am

Where are the grammar errors? If it’s so important to you, why don’t you specify the errors you found? Did not see a single error- just a typo (greats)

9 adventureswithben March 8, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I love teaching in elementary schools. Though the last time was a decade+ ago. They are so much fun!

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 8, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Jacob is amazing! I’m sure that little guy can do “a million” times more pushups than me! 🙂
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The Santa Barbara Day-Cation (Stay-cation)

11 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 8, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I want to help all of these kids and schools! They are so adorable and precious. It’s horrible that there are so many schools that need our help to provide basic educational tools. Good luck in raising lot of money for such a great cause!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..New Toys

12 Lindsay March 8, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Welcome to Austin! SXSW doesn’t afford much free time, but as a foodie it’s your JOB to visit the flagship Whole Foods on South Lamar 🙂 You’ll love it!

13 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 8, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Awww toooo cute! That rocks that he is SO strong!

Looks like a delicious dinner!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Got ___ Milk?

14 NJ March 8, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I agree with K. Meghann, you need to proofread your posts.

15 nicole March 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm

This was my elementary! The library is exactly how I remember it! Oh, and I live here in Austin. Small world!

16 Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 8, 2012 at 9:05 pm

All this posts make me want to be in school again!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..It’s Official!

17 Melissa March 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm

You came right by where I live!!
My boyfriend went to Mayde Creek Highschool!! And I have eaten at that Chuy’s.
Thats so cool!

18 Melissa March 8, 2012 at 9:10 pm

…oh…to add on to my previous comment. I will be participating in some donating. This is such a great cause!

19 Colleen March 8, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I must be dumb or blind because I only noticed one word that had an extra ‘S’ at the end. However your message and the cause wasn’t affect by it. Not sure why someone has to post a comment instead of sending an email telling you to clean up the grammar. Enjoy Texas! Do you guys have to drive back or do you get to fly?

20 Helene March 9, 2012 at 9:09 am

Agreed! People are so rude! The only error was “greats”..just a typo

21 Stephanie March 8, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Jacob is so adorable! I have no doubt in my mind that he could do many more push ups then I could do. SXSW or Bust sounds like it has been such a fun road trip so far.

22 Elisabeth March 8, 2012 at 9:59 pm

What a sweet kid – love that he was so excited about getting his pic on the blog! 😉

23 Chelsea March 8, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I live RIGHT down the street from there! Ahh crazy stuff knowing you’re so close haha and I’ve been following you for so long.

24 Professor Josh March 9, 2012 at 9:56 am

Awesome feeling huh? If you are looking to help a Central Florida group that raises money, collects supplies, and helps students/teachers get the supplies check out http://agiftforteaching.org/ We volunteered there for our Valencia College Learning Day http://youtu.be/MikZoebE5ww and have donated tons of supplies every year.
Professor Josh recently posted..App of the Week: Halftone is a Comic Book Style Photo Editing App

25 Alaina March 9, 2012 at 1:10 pm

What an adorable group of kids! You’re helping out such a great cause Meghann! And it looks like you’re having a great time doing it. 🙂

My husband’s cousin’s love Chuys! I didn’t get a chance to visit when I was in Austin but will hopefully next time!
Alaina recently posted..It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

26 Joss March 9, 2012 at 7:53 pm

omg what a cute class! Gonna donate for this one 😀
Joss recently posted..I’m Sick

27 jamie March 18, 2015 at 8:50 pm

I was reminiscing about my days at Mayde Creek Elementary, Junior high, and high school (yes I went to all three), and it was so nice to see your pictures of the library and Mrs. Williams’ classroom. My favorite memories of MCE was the library. I loved how it was so open and inviting. Our librarian, Mrs. Gros, always had time for students and I really like the creative reading spaces. We had a fabric hot air balloon that everyone fought over to read in and bean bag chairs. I think we all would have been happy to have the boat at that time too. I went to MCE from 1987-1990 (3rd-5th grade). It was a low income school then too, but I don’t think that any student missed out or felt they were lacking a good education. Thank you for supporting this school when you did. And thank you for posting the pictures.

28 Joshua Clifton February 4, 2016 at 10:42 pm

MCE was the best! I went here from 2003-2010 (Pre-K through 5th grade) and I enjoyed just about every minute of it. They literally had the best staff you could think of for each subject taught at this school!…at least when I was going here anyway, I don’t know about now. Mrs. McRae, Mrs. Lawrence, and Mrs. McBee for Music, Mrs. Hackett and Coach Fichera for P.E., Mrs. Shelly for the librarian, Mrs. Weisner for the counselor, Mrs. Dionne and Mrs. Bradley for art, I mean come on, how much better can you get?! Not to mention every single one of my teachers (which would take me so long to name them all because I had so many other teachers help me aside from my main ones) but I want to give a special thanks to Ms. Tempy Psenka (formerly Ferguson) for helping me mature into an awesome middle schooler and an even better highschooler, and for helping me come through so many emotional struggles through the time that you thought it was worth to help me, and I appreciate every single minute of it! MCE rocks!