Everything’s Bigger in Texas

by Meghann on March 8, 2012

*I updated the wedding page yesterday! Check out Engagement Photos: Behind the Scenes*

You know you’re in Texas when…

Nice.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Texas shaped waffle iron before, but I suddenly feel the need to own one. Waffles in fun shapes? Yes, please! 😉

I wonder if that have a Florida one too? 😉

We stayed at a Fairfield Inn last night (we stayed at one in Tallahassee the night before too). The decent rates, free WiFi, free breakfast, and easy access right off the interstate make them the perfect road trip hotel. Chevy is covering our costs on our drive to Austin, but we’re in charge of budgeting ourselves with the funds they gave us. Fairfield Inn = budget friendly.

Unlike our first stop in Tallahassee (where I was familiar with the area and knew where I could get a run in), I had no idea where to run in Beaumont. Rather than take a risk in an area I was unfamiliar with, I decided to play it safe and took advantage of the lone treadmill in the Fairfield’s make shift gym instead.

IMAG1337.jpg

I was actually hoping to get a NROLFW workout in, but no such luck. Locating a set of free weights on the road hasn’t been as easy as I thought it would be. The gym this morning had a treadmill, an elliptical, and a recumbent bike machine – that’s it. Still better than nothing. 🙂

I hopped on the treadmill for an entire episode of Say Yes to the Dress (love the mobile Netflix app!), then did a short circuit workout using my body weight.

• 30 Jumping Jacks
  • 30 High Knees
  • 30 Butt Kicks
  • 30 Jump Rope
  • 15 Jumping Squats
  • 20 Standing Lunges (on each leg)
  • 10 Push-ups
  • Repeat x 4

After my workout and a quick shower, I hit the free breakfast bar for some food.

I was instantly drawn to this.

Fooooodddddd.

I made the oatmeal using two packets of the original instant oatmeal and topped it with a thing of peanut butter, brown sugar, walnuts, and raisins.

On the side I had a peach from a fruit stash I brought from Florida.

A perfect on-the-road breakfast!

We’re getting close!

Screen shot 2012-03-08 at 10.25.22 AM.png

(You can check out all of the #ChevySXSW teams’ progress HERE)

Only one more school and a few hundred miles to go!

My teammate, Nick, has been posting some AWESOME videos from our trip that I had to share.

Enjoy! 🙂

Who was you favorite teacher growing up and WHY were they your favorite?

Last month I posted this picture on Facebook…

And received over 30 comments from former classmates who came out of the woodwork to reminisce on just how awesome Mr. Thorn was. He was by far everyone’s favorite teacher because of how he related to all of his students through sports and music and just made learning FUN.

The great teachers are the ones that stick with you. Mr.Thorn was a great teacher. Mrs. Cogdill is a great teacher. Help her (and other great teachers across the country!) by donating to Adopt-A-Classroom today. These teachers need our help to keep that incredible learning experience alive.

1 Mary March 8, 2012 at 12:00 pm

*lone, not loan.

2 Sneakers2Sandals March 8, 2012 at 12:02 pm

that waffle is amazing!

thanks for doing all this work with the classrooms! as a future teacher it’s so inspirational and i LOVE all these awesome classroom ideas. Camp Cooper in the future?

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm

That waffle is awesome! I have a waffle maker but don’t use it nearly as much as I should. There might be a little waffle action coming out of my kitchen this weekend! 🙂
Favourite teacher – my high school math teacher. The advanced math I had to do was absolutely brutal and she definitely didn’t let us off easy, but she cared SO much about us doing well and was a lot of fun outside of class too!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Reader’s Request: Pantry Staples

4 Christina March 8, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Let me just say your breakfast looks so delicious!

I think having a teacher that makes learning fun makes all the difference! My favorite teacher was 6th grade Mr Costilow.. he had events and trips planned, besides teaching in the classroom, for us that was the extra mile for learning made fun.
Christina recently posted..I’m Walking on Sunshine

5 Caroline March 8, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Only in Texas would you find a waffle iron in the shape of the state. That’s hilarious and awesome:) My favorite teacher (or one of them!) was my psychology teacher. He made it so interesting, and always had hands on activities. Even though it was over a decade ago, I still remember many of the things I learned because he made them so interesting. He’s awesome!
Caroline recently posted..Thankful Thursday

6 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 8, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Yup – we Texans are proud! You can get just about anything in the shape of Texas 🙂 Have fun in my home state!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Simple Sesame Noodles

7 Holly March 8, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Glad you’re enjoying my homeland! Texas waffle irons can be purchased at Buc ee’s truck stops!

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 8, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Ahhhhh I love the Texas waffle maker! Haha, only in texas! A FL shaped waffle might be a little odd, haha. Less waffle.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..So… Close… Freedom!

9 Martha March 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm

What is a thing of peanut butter?

10 Molly March 8, 2012 at 12:23 pm

ahh you’re so close to me!! Enjoy your time in Texas!!
Molly recently posted..It’s been way too long…

11 Kimmy March 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I love being from Texas. You can find that waffle maker at gas stations. Also, if you pass a Bucee’s you should go in!

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 8, 2012 at 12:40 pm

That is a GREAT waffle maker! Have fun today 🙂
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Got ___ Milk?

13 deva at deva by definition March 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm

This is such an awesome opportunity – i’m excited to see what you do at SXSW
deva at deva by definition recently posted..Vlogging Half Marathon Training: Week Nine

14 RunEatRepeat March 8, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Jealous of your NOLA stop!
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe

15 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm

That waffle maker is HILARIOUS! 😉
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The Santa Barbara Day-Cation (Stay-cation)

16 Emily March 8, 2012 at 1:04 pm

fun shaped waffles? AWESOME!
Emily recently posted..My Bad Habits Catch Up

17 Alicia from Poise in Parma March 8, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I don’t know if one Florida shaped waffle would be big enough for most for breakfast! But you guys do have the Mickey Mouse shaped ones – at least when you’re in Orlando!
Alicia from Poise in Parma recently posted..NASATweetUp Recap Part 2: Celebrating John Glenn’s Legacy at Cleveland State University

18 Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 8, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Waffles Texas Style!
My favorite teacher happen to be my Texas History Teacher in middle school! She was tons of fun, had a sense of humor, and would break out into song in the middle of class!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..It’s Official!

19 corey @ learning patience March 8, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Everything in Texas is about Texas….even the waffles! LOL Texans are SO very very proud – that’s for sure! Glad you’re trip is going well. ENjoy!

xoxo from Trinidad
corey @ learning patience recently posted..Great News and a Giveaway!

20 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I love the idea of shaped waffles! They could be so much fun, just think of all of the crazy shapes..
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday ~ 03/08/2012

21 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm

My favorite teacher was in 4th Grade. She was younger, dressed hip, and was fun! I learned so much that year and even enjoyed math! I remember being so sad when I moved on to 5th grade.

I usually am not a fan of road trips (I’d take a plane any day) but it looks like you are having a blast. Enjoy!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..New Toys

22 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 8, 2012 at 2:19 pm

A state waffle maker! That’s brilliant, have a great time
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Back on Track

23 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 8, 2012 at 3:17 pm

That waffle is so cool!!! And don’t you love continental breakfasts that offer such great options as the oatmeal!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..WIAW

24 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 8, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I love what you are doing and can’t get enough of your updates. Also can never have enough oatmeal and for sure not enough Texas shaped waffles!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..My New Obsession: Bring on the Figs

25 Elisabeth March 8, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I don’t know if I can pick one favorite teacher – I had a lot of great ones over the years, but I’d probably say my 3rd grade teacher. I can’t really pin it to one reason, but my mom still remembers her telling my parents during a conference that they should never settle for less than A’s from me 😉 I liked that she cared about my future, I guess!

26 Sue Kauffman March 8, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Love this road trip concept and I am so glad you have chosen to spotlight education on your trip. I never saw oatmeal at a continental breakfast look so good!
Sue Kauffman recently posted..Online Fitness Coaching: Featured Blog of the Week

27 Ari @ AriTiana March 8, 2012 at 5:25 pm

That waffle looks delicious! I’ve been craving breakfast food since last night, and I’ve also yet to go to a hotel that had Instant oatmeal as a breakfast option. Definitely a score!
Ari @ AriTiana recently posted..WIAW: Awakened

28 Army Amy* March 8, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I’ve seen many Texas shaped waffle irons, probably because I’m a Texan. That’s how we roll!*
Army Amy* recently posted..This Time Around

29 Val March 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Your trip is really cracking me up because I am from New Orleans and I use to travel to Beaumont every week and stay at that very Fairfield Inn so I am very aware of how limited the workout room is and how very limited your options for dinner were. I live in Austin now and can’t wait for SXSW…maybe I will see you around. Enjoy your time here.

30 Jules March 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I had a physics teacher in Senior school who loved Pink Floyd…he was so cool and I used to talk with him about Pink Floyd more than physics 🙂
Jules recently posted..Shins & Smoking…

31 Sarah @ A Runners Heart March 8, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU WERE IN BEAUMONT TEXAS AND I MISSED IT!!!! OMG! That’s where I’m from! It’s where I started running! I could have told you were to go run! They are having a Marathon and Half Marathon their next weekend! omg I’m still in shock that you were there! No one goes to Beaumont! lol Ok sorry…Got a little excited there. Still can’t believe it though! Hope you enjoy your time in Texas! And yes…We Texans are very proud lol. 🙂
Sarah @ A Runners Heart recently posted..Leap Day!

32 Bjorg March 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I actually send my junior college English teacher in Iceland an e-mail few days ago to thank her for preparing me for the real world!

She was always strict and intense,but somehow always stayed caring and mom-like.

I thank her for my English and good English accent. Her voice even still echoes in my head with important grammatical rules in English lol 🙂