#SXSWFRESH – Camp Cogdill

by Meghann on March 7, 2012

We’re on Day 2 of our 1200 mile journey to South By Southwest!

This morning we kicked things off with Mrs. Cogdill’s first grade ‘campers’ at Springwood Elementary in Tallahassee, FL.

Springwood Elementary School is one of three schools we’ll be stopping at on our journey to Austin in an effort raise awareness for Adopt-A-Classroom (more info here). Yesterday we had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Fowler’s kindergarten class at Ivey Lane Elementary in Orlando, FL and tomorrow we’ll meet a class of second graders in Houston, TX!

Mrs. Cogdill’s class has been preparing for our visit for weeks! They were so excited, that the entire class met us at the office and walked us back to their classroom.

Excuse me. When I say ‘classroom.’ I really mean ‘Camp Cogdill.’

Camp Cogdill comes complete with a fire site for story telling…

a makeshift forest for exploring…

IMG_0168.JPG IMG_0172.JPG

and campsites! (each group of desks equals a campsite)

Mrs. Cogdill’s class wish for Adopt-A-Classroom is to collect enough drawstring backpacks, compasses, bandanas, pencils, and binoculars for the entire class.

“The class can use these on Friday hikes around campus, observing changes in nature when we learn about the seasons and weather, and after returning to the classroom, can write and draw their observations.”

The campers started with a history lesson. Mrs. Cogdill had us ask questions regarding the revolutionary war and the campers enthusiastically waved their hands in the air to share the answers. This was a smart bunch – not a single wrong answer.

After our history lesson, we moved on to the art projects they created for us.

The class had a ‘music’ theme and drew photos of themselves with an instrument they would like to play in the future. Each drawing came with a story of why the student selected that instrument and what they love about music.

IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0179.jpg

They’re currently learning about jazz in music class, so there were a lot of jazz inspired drawings and stories throughout the room. These kids love their jazz!

One little boy created a whole band for his picture. On the front he drew his class as the band and on the back he listed all of his bandmates’ names and what instrument they would play. My favorite was the friend he had playing the triangle.

IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0175.JPG

We weren’t the only ones visiting Mrs. Cogdill’s class this morning – the local news caught wind of our journey and wanted to help spread the word for Mrs. Cogdill’s class wish list. 🙂

The kids LOVED the news camera! They kept asking if they were going to be on tv.

Before we said goodbye, the class had one last surprise they wanted to share with us!

Every Friday Camp Cogdill has a big experiment they do outside. It’s their FAVORITE time of the week and they only get to do it if they’ve been on their best behavior on the days leading up to Friday. Since we were visiting, the class got an extra treat with a bonus Wednesday experiment. To say they were excited when we headed outside would be an understatement – the kids were going crazy about it!

J assisted Mrs. Cogdill in creating an ‘exploding bag’ with a ziploc bag, vinegar, and baking soda.

IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0196.JPG

They filled the ziploc with vinegar, dropped in the baking soda, and threw it like a grenade.

Boom!

The ziploc expanded until it couldn’t take it anymore, then POP!

It was just a little smelly. 😉

We did four exploding bags in total and each ‘pop’ was louder than the last.

IMG_0240.JPG IMG_0241.JPG

We gave our interviews (I’ll post a link when it’s live on WCTV.com!)

Collected the art for Austin

And said our good-byes!

We had a BLAST hanging out with Mrs. Cogdill’s class this morning. The ‘campers’ are so full of spirit and have a love for learning and exploring that is just contagious. Thank you Chevy and Adopt-A-Classroom for giving our team a chance to work with such a great class!

To learn more on how to donate to Camp Cogdill’s wish list please visit the Team Fresh Squeezed donation page!

I went to bed last night just a little excited about my run this morning. As soon as I discovered we would be staying in Tallahassee for the night, I knew I had to find a way to squeeze a run in around the FSU campus. I had to wake up a little earlier than normal to drive across town to campus, but it was worth it. Totally worth it.

DoakCampbellSunset.jpg

I had just started running when I lived in Tallahassee and I miss how runner friendly the city is. I also miss running on FSU campus – it’s like an instant trip down memory lane. I parked off campus and made a great big 5-mile loop around the school. I saw my old dorm, the student union, my favorite fountains, and the stadium. I was also reminded how HILLY Tallahassee is! I definitely got my hill workout in for the week !

IMG_0199.jpg

After we packed up the hotel rooms, the team headed to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

I ordered ‘meat and eggs’ with country ham (I LOVE salty ham), scrambled eggs, and whole wheat toast.

I also had a dried pineapple after our class visit.

We have EIGHT hours of driving ahead of us. Next stop? HOUSTON!

*all students have signed releases from their parents giving us permission to post their photos across all media platforms

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 7, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I love the campsite theme the class has! I loved when I was little and our room would have a theme, it was so much more fun!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Craving Veggies – WIAW

2 crystal March 7, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Tht is one of the coolest classrooms I have ever seen.

3 Grace March 7, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Wow that is so awesome! And now you’re a local celeb on the news:)
Grace recently posted..“Finding Grace” Day 4: Welcome to Birmingham!

4 Dannielle March 7, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Have you seen this? You could definitely help spread the word with your blog!! Please do it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc&sns=tw

5 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

That class is SO cool and THAT is what teachers should be like. That is seriously awesome!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Things I Love

6 Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm

What a fabulous classroom!!! Looks like your adventures are beyond exciting!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..Birthday Cake Oreo Funfetti Cupcakes

7 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 7, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I totally want to go back to elementary school! So jealous!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW {03-07-2012}

8 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed March 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I love how happy the kids look and how happy you look looking at them!!!
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Squats for….just read the post.

9 Katrina March 7, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Please correct the spelling for “forest”. I know on your daily life stuff you could care less about spelling and grammar, but this post features your work in a more professional light.

10 anonymous March 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Katrina, if you are going to be super particular about Meghann’s spelling, I should point out that you wrote “could” when you seemingly meant “couldn’t”…. the expression is “couldn’t care less”…
anonymous recently posted..Cute Tall Guy aka CTG

11 Jessica March 7, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Sort of funny you commented as “anonymous” with a link to your most recent blog post. Completely unnecessary post on my part, but it made me laugh.
Jessica recently posted..Whoops.

12 k March 7, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Actually, this isn’t true at all. As a professional linguist (I have a PhD in the field and many years of experience), the term “I could care less” is one that’s developed in causal speech to accomplish a variety of things. First, language changes and it changes fast (think how you probably don’t speak the same “way” as your parents or grandparents), so the term ‘I couldn’t care less’ is one used in colloquial conversation, while it’s counter-part “I could care less” is used to to essentially signal and mean the exact same thing (so, the original has changed into the second in many dialects of English). Secondly, using this phrase is very particular to intonation patterns. The “I couldn’t care less version” is sarcasm, while the “I could care less” version is a) being an ironic twist on the original, ESPECIALLY considering intonation patterns and b) has morphed to be used in place of the original to capture the same semantic meaning.

In other words, Katrina, I would respond to this misinformed anon by telling them you speak a different dialect of English, and then refer them to Steven Pinker.

Moral of the story: Don’t play grammar nazi if you don’t know what you’re talking about.

13 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm

What a cool theme!! That teacher totally rocks 🙂 Have fun driving!

14 Amelia March 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Can’t wait to hear more about your journeys! This sounds like such a cool classroom. Beautiful pic of the statue at FSU too!!
Amelia recently posted..Amelia: Run in the Streets

15 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm

sounds like you guys are all having a great time!! i LOVE cracker barrel!!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #24: My Favorite GREEN Meals

16 sarah jane March 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Today is wednesday, not Tuesday!

17 Meghann March 7, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Oops! You’re right – my days are mixed up. Just corrected it.

18 Abby March 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Ahh! I’ll be in Houston on Friday (for totally different purposes, obviously!) Sounds like you guys are having a great trip so far.

19 Shell March 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I am a Houstonian! If yall are craving mexican food, you need to try Los Cucos. One of the best mexican restaurants here!

20 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I LOVE this so much! I wish I could join you guys! 🙂
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // CrunchDaddy Popcorn

21 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 7, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Sounds like so much fun, and such a great project to be a part of! I love Crdcker Barrel! My fav thing to order is the chicken ‘n dumplings.. Amazing!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Changes like the Wind

22 Corey @ Learning Patience March 7, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Sounds like so much fun – enjoy Houston – that’s my neck of the woods. Eat as much as you can – there are SO many excellent restaurants!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..WIAW – Engagaversary – The Story

23 Betsy B. March 7, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Thanks so much for visiting our school and sharing Camp Cogdill with the rest of the world. Mrs. Cogdill makes learning exciting and rewarding for her class. Our students are lucky to have such an innovative teacher! Please support her classroom by donating materials to keep the learning going.

24 Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air March 7, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I LOVE running around my old college campus! So fun that you got to do that again. And mine is equally hilly as well – killer!
Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air recently posted..Dreaming of the tropics

25 Alaina March 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Ahh so happy to see you at Springwood Elementary! I have worked in that school and I loved it! She is an amazing teacher! You must have been so happy to have an empty campus this morning! The most challenging part of running beautiful FSU is dodging people! This post made me so happy! What a great thing you are doing
Alaina recently posted..Tragedy Hits

26 Laura @ LauraLivesLife March 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm

This is so neat – I love the pictures and the idea!
Laura @ LauraLivesLife recently posted..Running, Reading, & Training Course Survey

27 Nikki March 7, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Once again, I am insanely jealous. What a great thing you are able to do!!
Nikki recently posted..Happy as a Clam

28 Army Amy* March 7, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Another fun class! I so want to wear an apron when I teach just like this teacher. Cute!*
Army Amy* recently posted..App Tastic

29 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 7, 2012 at 7:56 pm

It looks like you are having so much fun with the kids! Yeah! I hope this raises lots and lots of $$ for the schools.

I haven’t been back to my university since I graduated. It would be fun to run through campus again. I’m sure I would see it in a very different way!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Put Your Best Foot Forward

30 Joss March 7, 2012 at 7:59 pm

That classroom and teacher rocks!! What a creative idea for a classroom theme!
Joss recently posted..The Positive Affirmation Project Wrap Up

31 Pamela Brasher March 7, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Thanks so much for coming to our school today. Laura Cogdill is an amazing teacher and you honored her ver nicely with that awesome presentation!