Florida -> Texas

by Meghann on March 7, 2012

10 hours. 4 states. 1 detour. Copious amounts of twizzlers.

We made it to Texas!

We have officially survived our longest day of driving. Tomorrow morning we have a short drive to Houston (we only made it to Beaumont today), then it’s just a few hours to AUSTIN! Woo hoo!

We left Tallahassee around 11:00am and continued our journey west on I-10.

We crossed into a new time zone (woo hoo for gaining an hour!), saw some pretty awesome scenery, and did a phone-in interview for Tonya Hall Radio Show about our journey and raising money for Adopt-A-Classroom.

The extra hour threw off my eating schedule. I had a Kashi bar to hold me over until lunch.

Our first state line! Hello, Alabama!

Lunchtime! Woo hoo!

We actually had to ask OnStar if there were any Chick-Fil-As in Alabama. Good news – there are. ;)

We stopped at the one just outside Mobile and I had my favorite Chargrill and Fruit Salad with their Berry Basalmic Dressing.

Next up: MIssissippi!

Just call me the shorty of the group.

Twizzlers = AWESOME road food. Cheers to J for that great grab.

We planned a slight detour for this trip.

After all, what’s a road trip without a slight detour or two? ;)

Heelllooooo New Orleans!

Can you believe our teammate, Nick, had never been? Obviously we had to change that and pop in for a quick visit.

I know what I had my heart set on….

IMG_0319.JPG IMG_0320.JPG

I ordered a large coffe au lait and split the beignets with the table.

Cafe Du Monde is famous for their coffee au lait, but I was sadly not a fan. Blah. It tasted weak and watered down (maybe it was all the milk?).

However the beignets were just as warm, doughy, and sweet as I remembered them. The perfect road trip ‘when-in-Rome’ afternoon snack. :)

We walked around the French Quarter to stretch our legs a bit.

And split a quarter of a Muffalatta (so good!)

See ya later New Orleans! It was fun!

From New Orleans it was a straight shot to Beaumont, Texas. Well, a long straight shot. We pulled into town just after 9:00 only to discover food choices were limited and most places that we had in mind to eat were closed.

We were all tired, hungry, and cranky at this point and settled on good ole Sonics for dinner.

I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with sweet potato tots and called it a night.

It’s been a long day and I am more than ready for bed.

Good Night!

Pssttt… We made the local news in Tallahassee! Check out the features on WTXL and WCTV now.

My favorite quote from Nick that pretty much sums up what this is all about:

“They need drawstring backpacks, compasses, pens and pencils. They’re really simple things. That’s the great thing about adopt-a-classroom, we’re not looking for a class full of computers here. we’re just looking for simple things that could help school supplies.”

Don’t forget – you can still help ‘Camp Cogdill’ by donating to their Adopt-A-Classroom page now.

1 Caroline March 7, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I’ve never been to New Orleans before, but I would love to go someday soon. Thanks for sharing some pictures.
Caroline recently posted..Blueberry Almond Oatmeal

2 Samantha March 8, 2012 at 12:00 am

I think its funny you say the one hour time change threw off your eating schedule! I’m at Narita airport in Japan (where we’re stationed) and its 2pm on Thursday. Shortly I’ll board the first of 3 flights (stop in NY and ATL), fly for 23 hours, and land in NC on Thursday night. Suffice to say I’ll just eat when I’m hungry!

3 Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 8, 2012 at 12:08 am

Welcome to Texas girl!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..It’s Official!

4 Elisa March 8, 2012 at 1:39 am

Hi Meghann! (I have been reading you for the longest time, but only commented once or twice I think)
I am really enjoying reading about your trip and the classes you are meeting on the way (sounds like they have amazing teachers!) but I have to say that, as an European, I find the whole ‘adopt a classroom’ concept puzzling. Here, the goverment is supposed to pay for supplies like compasses and backpacks for the public schools- that’s why we pay taxes! I always find amusing how US culture is so similar but oh so different in some things.
Anyway, enjoy the rest of your trip!

5 amilia March 8, 2012 at 3:26 am

hi meghann. last night i dream we (monica of runeatrepeat, you and me) run together. running induced dream means this morning is excitedly super duper a must do run. thanks for dream “run” with me :)

6 Aline March 8, 2012 at 3:29 am

Hey!
I’ve loved your blog for ages, but have never commented…until I saw the photo of your salad today and have decided that I’m now going to have to move to America (if only for those salads)! :D I live in New Zealand and we don’t have Chick-Fil-A :( Move country for dietary reasons? Sounds rationale!

7 Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy March 8, 2012 at 4:14 am

You got the best of NOLA in a short time – CDM beignets and a muffuletta! Yum.

Not sure if you saw my previous comment, but I’m at SXSW Sun-Tues – would love to meet for a coffee :)
Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy recently posted..My Fitness Gadget Wish list

8 Meghann March 13, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I’m so sorry Sara! I starred this comment to come back to it (I would have loved to have met for coffee!), but never had the time. The whole trip was kind of crazy and just a whirlwind of a week. I hope you had fun at SXSW! That was my first time attending the conference and it was a bit crazy to take it all in. So insane, but so much fun!

9 Corey @ Learning Patience March 8, 2012 at 6:09 am

Looks like you are having fun so far- it will all be worth it when u get to Austin – trust me – it’s awesome!
Sweet potato tater tots? Wow, I have never had those – awesome!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..WIAW – Engagaversary – The Story

10 Regina March 8, 2012 at 7:13 am

Ahhh! I used to live in Escambia County (Pensacola is one of the most beautiful parts of Florida–white sand beaches? Heck yes!). My husband is originally from Austin and when we moved me from FL to TX to live together and stop the long-distance thing we took the same New Orleans detour! However, it wasn’t as easy with a U-Haul :)
Regina recently posted..Week 14

11 ash bear March 8, 2012 at 7:34 am

I have made this same trip before and absolutely loved it! That ChikFilA salad looks delicious and it seems like you’re having a blast. A slight detour to enjoy New Orleans seems more than worth it!! Can’t wait to see the next day of adventures!! Have fun!
ash bear recently posted..How to Improve Your Marathon Time from 4:56 to 3:11

12 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 8, 2012 at 7:34 am

I’ve never been to New Orleans! I’ve always wanted to try Cafe du Monde! I’ve heard great things about those beginets. One day I will get there! :) Have fun!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Dairy-Free Chicken Parmesan…

13 Brittani March 8, 2012 at 7:36 am

Thanks for posting some pictures of the Mobile Bay!! I moved to DC from mobile and have been feeling a little homesick for Alabama. I have a feeling the Chik-fil-a you stopped at is the one right across the street from my old neighborhood! Enjoy the rest of your trip! :-)

14 Cindy March 8, 2012 at 8:03 am

1) Twizzlers ARE awesome 2) Um, I never knew Chick-fil-A made food that looked like that 3) I’m very bummed we didn’t choose NOLA for our spring break destination this year. Great post and pics!
Cindy recently posted..Triple-Threat Berry Bread

15 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run March 8, 2012 at 8:17 am

I’ve never been to New Orleans either. I want to register for a race there just so I can go! Maybe next year. :-)
Pretty cool tunnel picture, btw!

16 Rachel March 8, 2012 at 8:20 am

Welcome to Texas! Sorry Houston can’t offer you it’s typical sunny and humid climate…but then again I’m sure you get that enough in Florida! Have fun in ATX!

17 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 8, 2012 at 9:14 am

I want to go to New Orleans so badly!

Also, I secretly love Sonic’s drinks and ice cream. For awhile they had a pumpkin pie blizzard type thing that was amazing ;)
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday ~ 03/08/2012

18 heather March 8, 2012 at 9:19 am

I don’t really post often but I’m a regular reader. It looks like you’re having a blast! and aww maaaan, I wish I’dda known you were gonna be in Beaumont! I’m here at Lamar University… maybe y’all could’ve come eat at our dining hall, I dunno lol. :p Sorry if Beaumont smelled like a huge cloud of funk. It’s the chemical plants.

19 Chelsea March 8, 2012 at 9:51 am

I live in Houston, Texas =DD Hopefully you like it here!

20 Elisabeth March 8, 2012 at 10:15 am

I’ve never been to New Orleans, either! However, if I do go someday, I’ve always wanted to go to Cafe Du Monde for the beignets :)

21 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 8, 2012 at 10:45 am

Hahaha my best friend and I always used to get twizzlers for long road trips! They dissapeared pretty quickly…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..So… Close… Freedom!

22 Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers March 8, 2012 at 11:00 am

Mmm, Twizzlers and Kashi–two of my favorite things! Would it be wrong of me if one of the next recipes I created was a merger of the two?

Fun to see the photos of you trip. The hubs and I will be going some of these places over the next couple of months for some interviews he has!
Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers recently posted..THE Best Peanut Butter Oatmeal Protein Cookies

23 Heather March 8, 2012 at 11:36 am

My greatest apologies for your having to eat and stay in Beaumont.
If I never step foot in that town again, it will be too soon.
Heather recently posted..New [to me] Shining Stars of Media

24 Joss March 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Looks like you are having a fab trip! I would love to travel to New Orleans some day :D and you are right about those twizzlers ;)
Joss recently posted..Another day, another sausage

25 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 8, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I’ve never been to New Orleans either…someday I may have to get there.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The Santa Barbara Day-Cation (Stay-cation)

26 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. March 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I miss NOLA!!! I did a four Katrina relief trips – twice in New Orleans and fell in love with the city.
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..pinterest motivation: volume 3

27 Julie March 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Wow! That must be really a nice trip! I really like your photos, a journey like this must have been really a special experience!
Julie recently posted..lumineers london

28 Carissa March 8, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Thats an awesome detour stop! road trips like that are so much fun! enjoy the amazing experience!
Carissa recently posted..New Goals

29 Chelsea March 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I miss chic fil a soooo much (vegetarian problems) lol <3!