by Meghann on March 6, 2012

We made it to Tallahassee!

It feels good to be in my old stomping grounds. I haven’t been to Tally since Derek and I came up for homecoming back in 2009. We’re due another trip soon. Maybe next football season?

As you might have guessed, we’re a teensy bit obsessed with the onboard WiFi. Having access to the internet – and being able to get work done – sure makes the miles go faster!

IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0171.JPG

Apparently we’re also obsessed with MacBook Pros.

(but we all have Droids?!?)

Road trip snacks included several pretzels with hummus and a twizzler.

IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0175.JPG

We made it to Tallahassee just in time for dinner. After a little tweeting, we decided on Ray’s Steel City Saloon.

Ray’s opened the year I was working at the Tallahassee Democrat after I graduated from FSU. Before that, the space belonged to a Mexican restaurant that was famous for their $4.99 all-you-can-eat Wednesday night specials. ( a popular spot for the local college students, obviously).

When Ray’s first opened, it was a local favorite of mine. It was quiet, had a great menu, and the food was really good. Walking back in the doors 4 years later, nothing had changed.

No crowds, same menu, and great food.

I started with their saloon salad with homemade rosemary dressing (yum!).

And ordered the vegetarian chili for my meal.

I’m not sure why I was craving chili, but it sounded really good at the time. The vegetarian chili had a black bean burger base and was loaded with vegetables, onions, and other goodies. It was really filling and exactly what I wanted.

After dinner, I slyly informed my teammates there was a TCBY down the street that I used to visit all the time when I lived on that side of town (wink, wink – nudge, nudge)

One small peanut butter and white chocolate mousse with chocolate chips – pretty much the exact same order I used to get all the time in college.

I’m not sure why, but I swear TCBY just tastes better in Tallahassee. Trust me.

We have an early start in the morning and 900 more miles to go!

Gasparilla Recaps

Just in case you’re still curious about last weekend’s Gasparilla Race Series… check out these race recaps from around the blogosphere.

1 Hannah March 6, 2012 at 11:31 pm

You chose a good night to stop in, there are no students in town because this weeks Spring Break! 😉

2 Chris Pine March 7, 2012 at 12:03 am

Boy that Yogurt sure looked good!
Chris Pine recently posted..The Number One Reason Your Back Hurts – Your Bed

3 Jess March 7, 2012 at 12:20 am

Wow, I’ve read for a while but never commented—until you ended up in Tallahassee, around the corner from where I grew up. I used to eat at Ray’s before it was even the Mexican restaurant, when it was a Godfather’s pizza, and have eaten at each of its incarnations. Also, that TCBY is where we went after all of my chorus concerts as a kid. SO FAMILIAR. :) Just a bizarre moment for me!

4 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 7, 2012 at 6:10 am

I haven’t had TCBY since I was in college. I think I associate it with being hungover.

Wi-fi in the car is pretty cool! I could handle any road trip with that.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Running For Fun

5 ash bear March 7, 2012 at 7:09 am

I know places like Menchies, 16 Handles, and Pinkberry are all the rage but I will forever love TCBY. Whenever I see one, in a random airport or trip, I feel the need to get a small one since they are so hard to find these days!! Have fun today!!
ash bear recently posted..Tuesday Tips: Keeping A Small Apartment Clean

6 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 7, 2012 at 7:59 am

That chili looks delicious! :) I love TCBY! They have great frozen yogurt. They actually closed the one that wasn’t too far from me. I think it’s because the self-serve frozen yogurt places are taking them out of business. Have a great trip! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Wedding Guest Favors!…

7 Megan @ Life As Megan Knows It March 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

I love TCBY and haven’t had it in forever!! There use to be one in my parents town, I wonder if it’s still open? hmmm
Megan @ Life As Megan Knows It recently posted..Day 2

8 Emily March 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

Mmmm… TCBY. It has been a ridiculously long time since I have had that!
Emily recently posted..Annual Goals = RUN A LOT

9 Barb March 7, 2012 at 9:16 am

Love your yellow cardigan. Where did you get it?

10 Meghann March 7, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Old Navy!

11 Jessie March 7, 2012 at 9:26 am

I clicked over to the post from 2009… I LOVE that short haircut on you!

Enjoy the road-tripping!

12 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 7, 2012 at 9:33 am

TCBY is my favorite non-tart yogurt. It tastes better and less artificial than a lot of the self-serve places.

Looks like you’re having a fun trip :)
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW {03-07-2012}

13 Kristin @ FoodFash March 7, 2012 at 9:47 am

I’m so excited that you’ll be in Austin soon!!! I’ll be following your trip for sure :)
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..An HLS Reunion!

14 Dina March 7, 2012 at 9:57 am

Thanks for posting the Gasparilla recaps! It’s nice to find new local blogs and read about the race from different perspectives.
Dina recently posted..Gasparilla Distance Classic 2012 Race Report

15 Kathleen March 7, 2012 at 10:05 am

I was just at Ray’s on Sunday for Brunch. Love that place!
Kathleen recently posted..Sometimes you should stick to old favorites

16 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 7, 2012 at 10:46 am

Haha I think TCBY tastes better in Kansas City! All through high school my friends and I would go there probably twice a week to hang out!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Craving Veggies – WIAW

17 Angie Mae March 7, 2012 at 11:42 am

Okay, seriously, that salad looks amazing… and it just made me decide that’s what is for lunch!

18 Tori @ In Love and Peanut Butter March 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for posting the recaps! I can’t stop reading about Gasparilla! What a fun weekend!
Tori @ In Love and Peanut Butter recently posted..Update on Ultra Training

19 meghan March 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm
20 Joss March 7, 2012 at 7:44 pm

mmm fro yo!!
Joss recently posted..The Positive Affirmation Project Wrap Up

21 Army Amy* March 7, 2012 at 7:45 pm

900 more miles?! That sounds like soooo many!*
Army Amy* recently posted..App Tastic

22 Serena March 7, 2012 at 10:09 pm

That chilli picture gave me a full fledged craving!

23 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) March 13, 2012 at 9:07 pm

White Chocolate Mousse!! That is my absolute favorite TCBY flavor, so delicious.