Wedding: Preparing for Engagement Photos

by Meghann on March 2, 2012

This is going to be a very wedding heavy weekend. Not only will I be going wedding dress shopping with my mom and sister, but Derek and I are having our engagement photos taken this Saturday! Eeekkk!

And, as a fun little preview, my photographer sent over this inspiration photo for Saturday’s set-up.

I. Can’t. Wait. :)

Remember my lace dress dilemma? Well I found one! A new friend is letting me borrow her gorgeous lacy number for our first round of photos. I’m also on the hunt for outfit number 2. I’m leaning towards playing up the ‘rustic’ theme by pairing a fun dress with my favorite jean jacket and cowgirl boots. We’ll see.

This is the first time Derek and I have had professional photos taken together (unless you count the photos we’ve taken on cruises or at my brother’s wedding). It should be fun to play model for the day – just the two of us. :) We’re going with the same photographer who did my head shots a couple of months ago.

Cat is amazing and I trust her dramatic, creative eye. I gave her permission to let her imagination run wild for these photos. This could be a really good thing or a really bad thing – I’m leaning towards a really good thing. ;)

And now for my biggest dilemma… Should I wear my hair curly or straight?

Man. I told you – BIG dilemma. :p

1 Dori March 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Get a nice blowout!
Dori recently posted..Bringing Me Right Back

2 Victoria (District Chocoholic) March 2, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Your hair is naturally curly, right? Go with that, since it’s how you are.

Also, curly hair is awesome. I know this for a fact.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Wheat-Free Cashew Chocolate Chunk Cookies

3 allison @ thesundayflog March 2, 2012 at 1:19 pm

ah you never got the dress at h&m? it’s just as well, as i’m sure it would have been a one time use kinda thing. borrowing is always best :) i would go for a blowout. treat yourself to a fabulous hair day! (i say this without ever getting one, but i swear i will one day!)

4 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 2, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Curly hair!!! It will look so pretty with that lace dress!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Veggie Recipes and HIIT Bike Workout

5 Cat Melnyk March 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I love your second look idea!!!!

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 2, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Aww how fun! You’ll look beautiful no matter what, so do it however you like it best! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Carbonara Craziness.

7 Jessica March 2, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Your other pictures were so great I just know she’s going to rock it for you! How exciting :D I can’t wait to see!!
Jessica recently posted..Birthday Celebration & Wedding Video

8 Katie March 2, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I would definitely wear your hair as natural as possible. I went for really curly hair for my engagement pictures and it ended up raining during our shoot which really loosened up the curls and gave it a natural frizz/wave. I had no idea how my hair looked in the pictures after being rained on, but my favorite pictures were the ones where my hair looked really natural. Plus, your hair has such a beautiful natural texture that I think would look really great.

Katie recently posted..Fresh Friday

9 Caitlin @ Chasing A Mile March 2, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I have naturally curly hair and had the same dilema for our engagement pictures! I wear it curly more often so I decided to do our pictures with it curly. I didn’t regret it!
Caitlin @ Chasing A Mile recently posted..The Paris Wife

10 Christina March 2, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Professional pics can be so much fun! Especially if you have a great reliable photographer :)

I agree about going with a more natural style, but you may be able to change the style when you change outfits.. maybe bobby pin a section up or back for one look and then take the bobby pins out for the other outfit.. just s subtle difference suggestion. That’s what I did because I was afraid of having the same “look” in every pic.
Christina recently posted..E.T. – Experience Tuesday

11 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 2, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I love the look of beachy waves, so somewhere in between? :P
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Swift Kick in the Butt

12 Poptartyogini March 2, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I think however you most often do your hair is how you should go for your shoot. I always think that engagement pics should be representative of who you are at the time of your engagement. I wore jeans and pumas because that’s who I am. Though I did get my hair and makeup professionally done. That’s not so me. Have a wonderful time!!
Poptartyogini recently posted..about me: three things

13 Beth @ 990 Square March 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Curly! I had my hair dyed when I got married, and I kind of regret it. You want to be as natural as possible, since you’ll have these pictures forever!
Beth @ 990 Square recently posted..Birch and Barley Food and Beer Tasting Menu

14 Tami March 2, 2012 at 3:48 pm

my favorite engagement picture is when we were near the end and walked by a tree and my (now) husband jumped up on the branch and hung upside down. my kids LOVE to look at that picture, so have FUN!!!! and try try TRY not to get too stressed out.

15 JessicaE March 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Definitely curly! I think your hair looks shiny, healthy and beautiful when its naturalness shines through.

16 JessicaE March 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm

P.S. Plus you could always wear it down and curly for some of the pics, and then slightly different in others, pulled back loosely or just the front pieces clipped back, etc. Curly hair can be very versatile.

17 Cait's Plate March 2, 2012 at 4:05 pm

LOVE it!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pepperoni Calzone

18 Hillary March 2, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Oh, I adore that set up. Completely adore it.

CURLY! ; )
Hillary recently posted..The Thick of It

19 Angela March 2, 2012 at 6:07 pm

My fiance and I did our engagement photos last Saturday downtown at Curtis Hixon Park and I am dying to see them! I had the same hair issue and ultimately went with straight. I agree with some previous commenters that I wanted a more natural and less “done” look. But, I wish I had brought a cute headband with me because it was pretty windy and we kept having to push my hair out of my face. Anyway, good luck with yours!

20 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 2, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Natural–so curly!! It’ll bring out YOU in the pics.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Abs and Glutes Burner

21 Marie March 2, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Curly; I’ve seen your hair curly before on the blog and it looks great!

22 caryn March 2, 2012 at 7:41 pm

is the hair open to a vote? lol if it is, i vote for curly/natural!

23 Brittany March 2, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Have fun this weekend with all the wedding stuff!!! :)
Brittany recently posted..Time for Romans (At Lewis Ginter)

24 Kelsey T March 2, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I also have curly hair and I usually end up going straight for important events for this reason: I KNOW my hair will look good when it’s straight because I am controlling the straightening process! But if I go curly there are so many variables that it is impossible for me to know whether it’s going to come out super cute or frizzy/limp/gross. You know? And I’d hate to look back and be like UGH that one piece of hair is sticking way out/is straight/look at all that frizz. If you love the curls no matter how they come out then I would go with that, if not my vote is for straight! Plus it seems like you wear it straight a lot so it is not a drastic change from your normal style. :)