Dinner Guests

by Meghann on March 2, 2012

Derek and I had our first guests of the weekend over for dinner tonight.

Everyone say “Hi Grandma and Grandpa!” πŸ™‚

My grandparents are just in town for the evening. They head out on their cruise in the morning and I am uber jealous of the tropical adventures that lay ahead of them. They’ve become seasoned cruisers in their retirement ( I think this is their 12th?) and I’m happy to see them living it up. πŸ™‚

Before my grandparents sailed away, Derek and I wanted to invite them over to finally see the place we’ve called home for the last year (about time they paid a visit! πŸ˜‰ ) and to treat them to a yummy dinner. Since my grandmother is currently on a no-salt diet, it just seemed easier to stay home and cook.

Derek and I prepared our no-fail salmon with herbed yogurt (many thank to Martha Stewart for that delicious recipe ), a citrus and avocado salad, steamed asparagus with shaved parmesan, and multi-grain baguette.

The meal was grandparent approved. πŸ™‚

I also sipped on a glass of the cab my grandparents brought over as we ate.

I actually had a mini-panic attack when I was in Whole Foods this evening. Unsure what to make for dinner, I ended up buying food that was terribly wrong for the occasion (my grandmother requested something ‘light’ and I bought ingredients to make meatballs and roasted root vegetables – totally wrong). On the way home I had this epiphany about the salmon and immediately sent Derek to pick up the ingredients. The salmon was a much better call and it all ended up working out in the end.

It’s crazy how much pressure is involved when preparing a meal for dinner guests, especially for a grandmother with dietary concerns. Please tell me I’m not the only one who has changed their meal plan at the last minute because it just didn’t feel right for their dinner guests?

On the plus side, my grandmother has been doing fabulous since eliminating salt from her diet last year. She had a health scare that brought on the elimination and it’s crazy how one little change has really made all the difference. Checking food labels for sodium levels, has really opened her eyes to checking labels for everything else and we had a nice little chat this evening about ‘real food’ and how much better it is in the end. My grandmother has become quite the healthy food activist – go grandma! πŸ™‚

My grandparents were just the start to our weekend of visitors – my parents and sister arrive tomorrow morning. I better rest up now.

Good night!

1 Dana March 2, 2012 at 10:35 pm

That salmon looks so good! I’m glad that your grandparents enjoyed the meal.
Dana recently posted..Manteresting: the Pinterest for Men

2 Caroline March 2, 2012 at 10:36 pm

This post made me smile. My grandma died in October and today was a rough day of missing her. In those moments, I love to hear about others loving their grandparents. Way to go for making such an awesome meal, even though there was a bit of pressure involved!

3 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 2, 2012 at 10:44 pm

You have a fun weekend planned! SO nice of you to make sure everyone was happy with the food–nice work. It all looks yummy.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Abs and Glutes Burner

4 Kellie March 2, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I wish you would use an actual dinner plate when photographing your food. It is clearly a saucer (not meant for full meals) and is extremely deceptive to those trying to eat proper portions.

5 Aimee March 2, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I’ve got to agree… plus, you’re eating like 4 spears of asparagus with a pinch of grated parmesan, some salad, a small piece of bread and maaaybe 3 oz. of fish. Just because you use a smaller plate doesn’t mean we can’t see it’s a tiny amount of food. You’re racing, lifting etc.– why the restriction?

6 Meghann March 3, 2012 at 8:21 am

You’re right it is maybe 3 oz of salmon, but according to the United States Department of Agriculture, the recommended serving size for fish is 3 oz http://www.ehow.com/facts_5130549_serving-size-salmon.html I’m not restricting myself, this is just what a normal plate of food should be. The biggest hurdle most people face when training for a marathon is how much food to eat. It’s a tough balance between making sure you’re getting enough to fuel yourself, but not too much where you’re overdoing it. I’ve trained for enough marathons to know what works for my body. I’ve trained for races where I’ve lost 5 pounds in the process and where I’ve gained 8 pounds in the process. Right now I’m in my happy middle ground, but it has taken a race or two to figure out what works.

7 Meghann March 3, 2012 at 8:25 am

This is an 8-in salad plate – it’s really the only thing we have in the house at the moment that matches for 4 place settings. Next time I photograph food on it, I’ll be sure to put it next to a recognizable object for reference.

8 Angela March 3, 2012 at 11:40 am

I just wanted to add to Meghann’s point that some people actually find that using a saucer/salad plate helps with portion control. The dinner plates I have are pretty large so a proper portion can look really small depending on the food and it can look like I’m not eating enough when it’s actually plenty. A lot of us were brought up to finish everything on our plates regardless of how hungry we were so if we fill up a huge dinner plate with the excessive portions we tend to see today its no wonder people gain weight when supposedly eating healthy.

9 Kellie March 3, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Yes, which would be great for someone who is actively trying to eat smaller portions in order to lose weight. However, Meghann is extremely active on a daily basis, and the amount of food on her small plate is not enough to properly fuel her body. It sends a very distorted message to the healthy living community.

10 Angela March 4, 2012 at 7:51 am

Your comment reflects some of the crazy thinking that I see a lot in the healthy living comments not the blogs. Proper portions sizes are not just for losing weight they are what you should be eating all the time. Just because someone doesn’t need to lose weight it doesn’t mean that they should be loading their plates up at every meal. Also if you go back through Meghann’s posts for this day you will see that she ate plenty of food and didn’t run a marathon or anything crazy so that dinner is perfectly acceptable.

There seems to be a distinct lack of personal responsibility in the blog readers community. Even though I think Meghann eats pretty decently I would never come to her for advice about my diet (no offense!) as she is not a dietitian. There are plenty of RDs with blogs that you should be following if that is what you are after.

11 Julia March 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm

It seems like you are not taking in to account what she eats throughout the day too. If she looks and more importantly feels healthy, who cares what size her dinner is. Honestly, that looks like a healthy size dinner to me. Most people eat way too much. I’d like to think that the healthy living community is smart enough to decide for themselves what is right for them. Every single one of us is different after all!

12 Gia @ rungiarun March 2, 2012 at 11:18 pm

You’re not alone!! First of all whole foods tends to give me a mini panic attack unless I walk in with an exact game plan. But grandparents are hard … your meal looked wonderful, I’m glad you followed your instincts!
Gia @ rungiarun recently posted..To chia or not to chia …

13 JennyL March 3, 2012 at 2:00 am

Those are your GRANDPARENTS?!?! They look ridiculously YOUNG! πŸ™‚

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 3, 2012 at 8:08 am

I get anxious when it comes to preparing meals for other people, too. One thing that always stresses me out is the timing of everything. I don’t want one part of the dish to be ready way before another part, so I try to time things up perfectly … which gives me a panic attack every time! πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Carbonara Craziness.

15 Kathy March 3, 2012 at 8:12 am

Maybe you channeled their salmon shirts and thought “salmon!!” It looks like it was perfect….in fact its kind of “peachy”…ha!

Have a great weekend!

(I see thunderstorms are on the extended weather forecast for Disney…booooo! We leave Tuesday so praying for nice weather!) πŸ˜‰
Kathy recently posted..Hmmm? Cycle stress

16 Lee March 3, 2012 at 8:25 am

Your grandparents look super young!
Lee recently posted..Don’t Give Up Now

17 Meghann March 3, 2012 at 8:27 am

They are only in their early 60s. Can you believe they are great-grandparents too? (to a 9 year old!) We have a very young family.

18 Lee March 3, 2012 at 8:53 am

My parents are in their early 60s!
Lee recently posted..Don’t Give Up Now

19 Sara@RunningInPinkProject March 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm

How awesome that they will get to be there for your big events along the way. I didnt get to share my wedding with my Grandmother as she passed away a few months prior and I recently lost my Grandfather back in November. I think of them all the time. Cherish all of these moments with yours. πŸ™‚
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Liz and Sharik say β€œI Do”

20 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 3, 2012 at 8:42 am

Your dinner looks great! My mom was told that she needed to remove salt from her diet last year (it didn’t end up being anything serious so she added it back in), but through the process we all learned that cutting out salt is incredibly hard to do! Your grandma is pretty awesome for sticking to it πŸ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Workout Update & a Gloomy Friday

21 Angela March 3, 2012 at 11:24 am

I once had to cook for group with a couple of vegetarians, a wheat intolerance, a dairy intolerance and a nut allergy! Thankfully it was summer so I could go with a salad bar type thing so people could pick what they could have. I’ve no idea what I would have done if I had to cook a hot meal.

22 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 3, 2012 at 12:26 pm

It’s amazing how much sodium can be in packaged goods!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Current Favorites

23 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 3, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I so hope I’m like your grandparents when I get older.. they seem so fun!

24 Dena @ 40 Fit In The Mitt March 3, 2012 at 2:40 pm

That Salmon looks perfect! Nice job on a great dinner for you grandparents
Dena @ 40 Fit In The Mitt recently posted..Work In Progress

25 corey @ learning patience March 3, 2012 at 4:51 pm

They seem the the kind of cruise table mates I would want on my next cruise!
xoxo from Trinidad

26 Cait's Plate March 3, 2012 at 7:21 pm

That salmon looks amazing!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Constant Entertainment

27 Katie March 3, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Good for you for cooking for the grandparents! I absolutely love my grandparents (my grandma and I are scary close) but I would definitely second guess the menu. And would probably end up having 2 menus ready to cook.
Katie recently posted..I made it, I ate it: Lemon Chicken Piccata