Wedding: Shopping for THE Dress

by Meghann on March 1, 2012

My mom and sister (my maid of honor!) are coming to town this weekend for a little wedding dress shopping. I tried on a few dresses at David’s Bridal the weekend after I got engaged for fun, but this round feels like the real deal. πŸ˜‰

Surprisingly, finding a wedding dress hasn’t been the biggest thing on my mind with wedding planning. That’s surprising because I thought it would be. I thought as soon as Derek ‘put a ring on it’ I would be all about finding ‘the perfect dress’ from day one.

Sure I had some fun trying on dresses in January (at my mom’s urging!), but that was just fun – the thought of actually committing to a dress scares the crap out of me! What if I pick the wrong one and regret it? A year is a long time – I could easily change my mind between now and then on a dress. Anything can happen. Styles can change, my taste can change, my body type can change, and so on and so on. What if I saw photos later and didn’t like it? Too. Much. Pressure.

So instead of committing to a dress right away, I focused on committing to a venue. I found a theme I loved, a venue I loved, a caterer I loved, and crossed those big items off my list. All those things came together easily because, well, they just felt right. After that pressure was off, I realized it could be the same way with finding a dress. So after all of that, I’m now ready to start the search. I’m still not sure I’m really ready to commit just yet (famous last words, right?) , but I do think it would be nice to see what options are out there and what works on my body type.

After having a little fun on Pinterest (I may or may not have a Wedding Dress Board πŸ˜‰ ) I have found two particular styles I’m currently obsessed with:

Lacey and form-fitting

Source: marthastewartweddings.com via Meghann on Pinterest

Or simplistic ball gowns with a touch of flair

Source: theknottybride.com via Meghann on Pinterest

Current loves: the color ivory, sweetheart necklines, lace, ribbon belts

Current not-so-loves: rhinestones, shiny dress material, necklines that are cut straight across the top

Of course I can walk in on Saturday and select something completely different. Looking at dresses (on models’ bodies!) is one thing, trying those styles on in store is a whole other story. We shall see! πŸ™‚

Do you have any wedding dress shopping tips?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life March 1, 2012 at 10:48 am

Love your ‘loves’ πŸ™‚

I am a big fan of ivory too (my dress color was almost slightly golden) which made the dress more ‘rich’
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..MARCHIN’ in!

2 Mary @ food and fun on the run March 1, 2012 at 10:50 am

Don’t go shopping anywhere that you can not afford. I went to a boutique to get the “salon experience” and fell in love with something! I definitely could not afford it ($1800!!), so I left disappointed. I ended up finding something super similar at DB, so I should have probably just gone there first. It was just a bit frustrating at the time.

3 Molly P March 1, 2012 at 10:51 am

Be open minded! I walked in having one frame of mind and then I tried on a bunch of different styles and fell in love with one. So just go crazy, this is the one time you’ll get to do it all!
Molly P recently posted..Goals Change.

4 kirsten March 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

My # 1 tip is to buy it at a store that is in a convenient location to your house. You will have to go back to the store quite a bit right before the wedding (I had to go back 4 times for fittings and to pick up the dress) so having it close by is really helpful! If you fall in love with a dress that is farther away, you can buy it there but take it to a tailor that’s closer to you. Good luck!! πŸ™‚

5 Cait's Plate March 1, 2012 at 10:57 am

I love all of those choices! I can’t wait to see which one you end up with in the end!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..March(ing) On

6 Holly March 1, 2012 at 10:58 am

LOVE the 2nd lace dress and the first 2 “ballgowns”–i was surprised when i ended up buying the exact dress i had picked out of a catalog (well, i bought a knock off not the designer- i was on a budget!!). can’t wait to see what you end up with. happy shopping!
Holly recently posted..My Time in the Spotlight

7 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 1, 2012 at 11:03 am

I thought I wanted a white gown and then when I tried it on I was like wow! This is REALLY white. I decided on ivory. I fell in love with the ivory color, and you can’t even tell. It looks white but not as blinding. Good luck! πŸ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Comfy Purple Favorite…

8 MrsSwan March 1, 2012 at 11:03 am

I will tell you that my sister fell in love with one online. That was THE DRESS she said. It even had snowflakes on it. When she went to try on the dress she did try on others and she found a whole new one to love! She went through David’s Bridal in Tampa and her dress arrived in under three weeks. Anyone reading this knows that is unheard of. LOL We are still waiting on the BM dresses ordered through there. We ordered end of Jan but they will not be in till end of April due to the color she chose being a special cut fabric. So if you are thinking about capri for a color keep that in mind. We did get $20 off each BM dress since she ordered her dress there which was nice.
MrsSwan recently posted..My planned Publix trip with coupons 3/1/12

9 Kelly March 1, 2012 at 11:05 am

My wedding dress tip: Go into it with ideas of what you want, but don’t have your heart set on a certain style. Personally, I tried on a TON of dresses that were nearly identical because it was the style that I thought I wanted. Then I tried on one that was totally different (and honestly a style that I never would have picked for myself!) and that was the one I ended up getting!
Kelly recently posted..NYC Food Odds and Ends

10 Rebecca March 1, 2012 at 11:12 am

Beautiful inspiration pictures!

My best advice:
– Don’t bring a huge entourage. Sounds like just your mom and your sister, which is good. I went shopping with just my mom and it was so much easier to not deal with too many opinions. My mom is opinionated in that she will tell me honestly if something doesn’t look right, so for me she was the perfect person to bring along.

– Listen to your salesperson. After selecting dresses that I wanted to try, I always asked for them to select some for me as well. The dress I ended up with was one I didn’t look twice at on the hanger but absolutely loved on me. These ladies (usually ladies) have been doing this a long time and know their stuff!

– Don’t get too stuck on one style. I started out thinking I wanted a romantic, lacy, feminine dress and I wanted to stay away from strapless, crystals and embroidery. Once I started trying on dresses, I realized that with my petite frame and youthful looks, the super feminine gowns made me look like a little girl. And guess what I ended up with? I strapless ball gown with embroidery and crystals. Like you said, what looks good on a model may not look good on you at all!
Rebecca recently posted..Tomato Chickpea Pesto Soup

11 Samantha March 1, 2012 at 11:17 am

Don’t bring a ton of people dress shopping with you. Your mom and sister (MOH) are good. If you have a lot of people, everyone’s going to be shoving their opinions at you, and some get upset if you don’t pick what THEY want, simply forgetting it’s about your day. My best friend had all of her bridesmaids come and says it was a big mistake…she almost chose something other than her dream dress because others were pressuring her to get a different one!

Other than that, go with your gut. You’ll know when you find the right dress, and it’ll fit your body and your budget πŸ™‚

12 clare @ fittingitallin March 1, 2012 at 11:17 am

I definitely have most of those wedding dresses pinned too! (for my non existent wedding). I’m WAY into lace lately!
clare @ fittingitallin recently posted..March Is Good. (Live Fit Day 53)

13 Amanda March 1, 2012 at 11:22 am

I’m getting married in November and found my dress a few months ago. It was the 5th store I visited, so some general tips:

– Tell the sales consultant what you like, but be open to trying on anything. Most of the dresses that I loved the most on me, I really didn’t think I’d like when I saw them on the hanger. Because of this, let your salesperson, mom and sister pick out some dresses for you to try on, too.
– Tell them your price limit when you go in and let them know you don’t want to try on anything that costs more than that. Avoids complications/disappointment.
– Bring a strapless bra and heels if they don’t offer them. I’d also suggest wearing some makeup and your hair up/down (depending on how you think you’ll want it for the wedding). The first place I went with a wet bun (ran out of time) and felt like I didn’t look great and therefore felt not so great in the dresses.
– Know you can always go back or try on more dresses elsewhere. Things will become a lot clearer once you’ve left the store and have time to process things!

Have fun!!!

14 cindy March 1, 2012 at 11:24 am

2 things:
Go to a good shop (like Olga’s) and listen to the salesperson. She does this for a loving and will know what style will look best on your body. I thought I wanted a halter with a ball gown and on white until she told me a halter would cut my already short torso in half. And a ballroom gown was not for me, A lone was more flattering and white washed me out. And she was right on all three.

Second, tell them your budget for a gown. You can fall in love with a $1000 form just as easily as a $5000 gown. But ask her not to show you anything outside your budget. Even at higher end places, they have plenty of dresses in the lower price point.

I ended up finding mine on a sale.rack and bought the sample!

15 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 1, 2012 at 11:28 am

You have good taste, girl!! Love all of those pictures! The closest I’ve been to wedding dress shopping was for prom. However, my school was crazy and we literally wore ball gowns (wore my first crenolin then!) so I think it’s comparable. Try on lots and lots of dresses. And you’ll know when you have the right one on. I know for me, I tried on a lot of beautiful dresses that I liked. However, when I put on the one I actually ended up getting, it was different. It’s a difficult feeling to describe, but you’ll know it when you feel it πŸ˜€
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Rustic Apple-Almond Tart

16 Laurin March 1, 2012 at 11:35 am

Good luck! Trying on dresses can be really overwhelming but it’s also so much fun! I tried on a few and I knew they weren’t “it” before they were even zipped up. I went to several different locations and I couldn’t get one dress out of my mind. I waited a week or so but when I couldn’t stop thinking about one dress, I knew that was “my” dress. Enjoy!
Laurin recently posted..The Teachable Moment

17 Jessie March 1, 2012 at 11:38 am

I’m doing the same this weekend! Heading to David’s Bridal on Saturday with my mom and sister to try on some dresses. I’m torn on what I want, from short, to long, fitted and lacy to plain… everything looks good on the models, I’m hoping to find what looks good on me. Good luck with your search.

18 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 1, 2012 at 11:56 am

Good luck! And I am also in LOVE with lace!!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..A New Start

19 Cat Melnyk March 1, 2012 at 11:58 am

I love the first ballgown… it reminds me of you

20 Meghann March 1, 2012 at 12:00 pm

That’s what my sister said!

21 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane March 1, 2012 at 12:00 pm

ooo do a ball gown!!! Love that Pinterest can organize options to make decision making easier.
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Itching to Run

22 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups March 1, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I bought my dress in November! Here are some tips: don’t forget nude or white panties and a strapless bra, wear your hair similar to how you’ll want it on the big day (up or down), don’t let one item be a deal breaker from trying it on (flowers can be removed, added, etc. necklines can be changed), don’t free pressure ot make a decision. It should be fun! I found a lot of dresses I loved, but my whole disposition changed when I found the one.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Time to veg

23 Ali March 1, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I love the dresses that you like too! They are all gorgeous. One thing that I noticed when wedding dress shopping was that the dresses looked very different on than they did on the hanger! I didn’t really like some of the dresses that the lady would bring me but when I put them on, I liked them much better! I felt like it was hard to find a dress that was simplistic, but still made me feel like a bride. I was picking the most simplistic ones, but I wasn’t feeling like a bride yet, so when I went out on a limb slightly, I found the one! Good luck!! It’s so much fun:)

24 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 1, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I’ve never gone wedding dress shopping myself, but I have watched a ridiculous amount of Say Yes to the Dress. I think the key is to stick to your guns and don’t let lots of people overwhelm you, and go with your heart! Whichever one you feel best in. Haha and Randy always says, when you found the right guy, did you want to keep shopping around for another? Then why do that with your dress?
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..20 Days Until Spring!

25 Jessica March 1, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I am sort of on the same boat. I went wedding dress shopping when I first got engaged in the Fall but since then I have been hesitant to go check dresses out. I know I won’t be getting married for a bit while the fiance wraps up with school so I figured that could be the last thing I do.
I love your ideas so far. They are pretty similar to mine. πŸ™‚
Jessica recently posted..WW

26 Jen @ Whittle My Middle March 1, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Having an idea of max budget is a good idea, but tell the sales associate a slightly lower max. They will always bring out one or two dresses that are just above your max budget, hoping you will fall in love with it/

Once you find the perfect dress, you will just know.
Jen @ Whittle My Middle recently posted..Goodbye February, Hello March

27 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life March 1, 2012 at 12:15 pm

That Watters Austin gown is the one I’m wearing!! I HIGHLY suggest it! It is GORGEOUS and moves wonderfully, it isn’t too heavy and is super comfortable…

But that’s just me, I can’t wait to hear about how the trip goes!
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Juice Fast: Day 10!! The End!

28 Jennie March 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Definitely the ball gown type of dress. I did lacy and form fitting and while I loved my dress, and everyone told me it was gorgeous, it was just too fitted to really be comfortable the day of. I wanted to just relax and have fun and instead I constantly felt like I was wearing a uniform! Make sure when you try on dresses, you can sit, stand, squat, dance, shake and wiggle in it! You don’t even realize how many movements you do without thinking that you might not be able to do in a tighter dress!

29 Krista March 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Ok I just went through this process last year, here are my tips:

As others said, do not go with a large group. Just your sister & mom is enough.

It’s the one time you can wear a gown & not look ridiculous or out of place, so go BIG!

Try on your dress with & without a strapless bra. If you don’t need to wear a bra, don’t. There is so much boning & corset fixtures already in the dress that if you are somewhat of an average bust you probably don’t need one + I think everything lies smoother in the back if you don’t have one on.

Try your dress on with a veil/head piece whatever you plan on wearing with it. Sometimes this can pull the look together for you & help you make a decision.

Have fun!

30 Meghann March 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm

That’s a good point. I didn’t wear a bra with the strapless bridesmaid dress I wore for my brother’s wedding and felt fine.

31 Jamie March 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm

My dress! I wore the mimi from Watters (second from bottom) without the flower and LOVED it! I also liked lace but when I tried them on I just felt claustrophobic and ended feeling so much more “me” and comfortable in the Mimi. On my wedding day I just felt great and never once worried about my dress besides that I loved it! Love the low back too : ) Happy dress shopping!!!

32 Kathy March 1, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Have fun but be careful….dress shopping is kind of like picking out baby names. You have to go with what YOU like because every body likes some thing else..every body has opinions some times lovely some times not so.

As with babies…once the baby is born and you have named him/her every body will think the name is perfect. And once you have selected your dress…every body will think you look PERFECT on your wedding day.

I am sure you will have a wonderful experience….I too went with a color called “candlelight” I guess they said it was in between white and ivory…white seemed TOO white for my skin tone.
(I thought I wanted a traditional ball gown and ended up with a form fitting one..who knew? Try on every thing! πŸ˜‰
Kathy recently posted..One..one..yes, only one (week that is)

33 Gavriel March 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm

My tip is to try on as many dresses as possible! It might get tiring after a while, but you’ll have enough experience with dresses to know when you find the one that’s right for you. Also, if you have an idea in mind, be persistent until you find the dress that fits your vision for yourself. I didn’t want strapless or lace, and that significantly narrowed the selection for me. But I was persistent in my search, and I ended up finding the dress that perfectly fit my vision. Good luck!

34 Esther March 1, 2012 at 1:20 pm

This might sound weird, but I recently got engaged, and the best piece of dress shopping advice I’ve gotten is to think about whether you can easily go to the bathroom in the dress. πŸ™‚ Everything else is up to style and preference, but maneuvering a giant expensive dress in a tiny bathroom when you *really* have to go is universal!

35 Hillary March 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Love this. I was the maid of honor at my best friend’s wedding this fall, and we had quite the adventure getting her in and out of the bathroom (yes, that was my job. Lucky, right?!)
Hillary recently posted..The Thick of It

36 Amelia March 1, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Go with your gut instinct! It’s always right. HAVE FUN!
Amelia recently posted..Banana Bread

37 Anna @ Blissfully Banana March 1, 2012 at 1:34 pm

BALL GOWNS!!! Those look so pretty and elegant and feminine, but I think it does depend on what season you’re going to get married in! In spring the ball gown would look gorgeous with fresh flowers and spring colors, but it would also look great in fall with darker backgrounds and dramatic colors [dark purple, golds, dark red], just to kind of showcase it off and accentuate the delicate fresh nature [that I see in them]

The Lacy and form fitting is gorgeous too, and would look fabulous with everything. Especially rustic/sunflowers in summer, or super black tie classy in winter! I totally love weddings!

Honestly, you have got to go try on dresses, and find out which one makes you feel amazing and like the bride you’ve always wanted to be! πŸ˜€
Anna @ Blissfully Banana recently posted..At Home Weight Routine

38 Jessie March 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm

HAVE FUN!

My favorite part of wedding planning has been picking out my dress! I will say, that even though your body may change (up and down weight) your body type wont. You will not magically go from an hourglass to a pear, for example.

I also loved lace and form fitted (I ended up with a lace fit and flare… not a mermaid! more gentle). I did have the woman helping me bring one dress in a completely different style, and that was fun! It actually helped me realize what I really wanted in a dress.

Now my wedding is 5 months away and I can’t WAIT to put on my dress again!

Enjoy!

39 Meghann March 1, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Good point! You’re right – my weight might go up or down but my type won’t πŸ™‚

40 Poptartyogini March 1, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Oh!! Pretty choices. My biggest suggestion is to trust the professional. When I shopped I picked out the dresses I liked and the consultant quietly picked out a few as well. I picked one of the ones she suggested and loved it several months later when I worse it. I still love it four years later. Trust your gut.
Poptartyogini recently posted..recipe: minestrone?

41 Hillary March 1, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I am possibly the most indecisive person ever, and the thought of picking out my wedding dress totally wigs me out for the reasons you just listed. What if I hate it in pictures? Or my style totally changes?!

Luckily, I’ve been eye-ing the same style (lace-y v-neck, simple, sash) for the last couple of years. Here’s hoping by the time I actually pick out my wedding dress (you know, when my boyfriend and I actually get engaged!) that I’m still drawn to that style. I think it’s a classic!

Have a great time and enjoy yourself! This is the fun part : )
Hillary recently posted..The Thick of It

42 Brie March 1, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Advice:
1. Wear heels.
2. Wear Spanx.
3. DON’T take a huge crowd of people. I found it really overwhelming and felt pressured to find “the dress” because there were so many people there. Plus, everyone had an opinion.
4. Shop alone! Maybe not as fun, but I knew 100% my dress was right because it was ME picking it out, not my friends.
5. Look nice–wear makeup, put your hair up. It will help you get the whole vision going on.
6. Plan an extended lunch break, and bring water!
7. Try on EVERYTHING. Even dresses you think you’ll hate. My dress wound up being the exact opposite of what I thought I wanted.

Have fun!
Brie recently posted..A great day

43 Lili March 1, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Based on what you have posted, I highly recommend checking out Lea-Ann Belter. Her style is extremely similar.

My tip is to take pictures! I loved a Mikaella dress, but when I got home and looked at the pictures, I looked like I was cut in two. If they refuse to let you take pictures, tell them that it’s a dealbreaker for the dress, that always worked for me. I also brought a laptop so I could look at the pictures on the spot. Pictures always tell a different story than when you see some moving in a dress.

44 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction March 1, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I work at a bridal shop part time and the styles that you are drawn to are super popular right now, so I’m sure you will be able to find something similar to those photos! I would advise you to try on more than just the styles that you are currently drawn to, because wedding dresses look much different on than they do on the hanger! Make sure to tell the bridal consultant your budget, and if you are completely opposed to a certain style (i.e: If you hate mermaid). Also, don’t go to too many shops. All shops have similar dresses and styles, so if you shop around for a long time you will not only confuse yourself, but also become stressed out for time! A wedding dress can take 6-8 months to order, plus 3 months of alterations! Obviously, there are rush cuts and other options too, but just remember that for your own sake of mind! Good luck πŸ™‚
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..In Like A Lion

45 Claire March 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Your ‘loves’ described my dress to a “T.” I never thought I would go for lace, but there was something about it that just made me feel so beautiful and special. I say try on a variety, but you can always give the sales associate a heads up with what you are thinking. I knew what I DID NOT want (ie: mermaid, huge ballgown) and knew some of what I DEFINITELY wanted. My biggest thought was that 30 years from now, I wanted to look back and say “Wow, I had style” not “What in the world was I thinking!”

46 Sarah March 1, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Try on lots of dresses…even ones you don’t think you’ll like. I really wanted a lace dress too and they just didn’t look great on me. I’m petite and they seemed to eat me up. I ended up with a dress that was lace on top and raw ivory silk on the bottom. I also had a ribbon sash! If my MIL hadn’t made me try it on…I would never have thought to. I love reliving dress shopping through someone else! It was so much fun!
Sarah recently posted..Chickadee Station's Girls daisy applique T shirt, S (6), long sleeve blue with Daisy applique, Ready to ship

47 Abby March 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm

My best advice is to keep an open mind. I had a very specific idea of what I wanted and what I didn’t want. I was really hesitant to try on something I hadn’t already thought about, but after a few hours or so and not getting the “feeling” with any of the dresses I had thought I would love, my consultant suggested a dress I thought would look horrible on me. I tried it on and as soon as I saw myself in the mirror, I knew it was the one.
Good luck!

48 JessicaE March 2, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I agree with this! Try a wide variety of dresses and try to keep in mind that wedding dresses often look much different on your body than they do on the hanger. πŸ™‚

49 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 1, 2012 at 3:22 pm

My advice is to try on everything! Don’t get wrapped up in what dresses look like in magazines, because they can look completely different on and in person. I tried on a couple dresses straight from magazine pictures, and did not like them at all. They were itchy, heavy and just not my style! Keep an open mind and have fun! πŸ™‚
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..A Lighter Loaf

50 KatieTX March 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm

You probably know this since you have been dress shopping with others..make sure you call and make an appointment! I had no idea that you had to set up an appointment time (and some stores got booked a month in advance for Saturdays). It is so worth having your own consultant helping you. I also got kicked out after my 1.5 hour time slot was over before πŸ™‚ have fun!

51 Meghann March 1, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I already made my appointments! Don’t worry πŸ™‚

52 Sara J March 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm

The dresses you picked are beautiful! I got married over a year ago, but I still love looking at wedding dresses!
Try on different styles, so you can see how you look in them and narrow down your choices. Take heels.
I tried on ones that my mum and MOH suggested, just to see how they looked.

I found a designer I really liked and ended up picking my dress from a picture online (www.casablancabridal.com). I called the first boutique on the list who carried the line and asked if they had the style. They did, I went to try it on and loved it just as much in person. It was $800! The lady who owned the boutique said they are great quality dresses at an affordable price! The lady is over 80, so I think she knows her stuff! With this designer you can order the dress custom to your height. I’m 5’3″ and have a short torso, so being able to order to my height was perfect!!!

Have FUN!!!!

53 Sami March 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm

TOO weird. I’m going dress shopping Saturday too! I have an appt @ David’s Bridal @ 12:30!

I am in LOVE with the lace overlays and have the SAME exact taste as you as far as simplistic! If we were closer, I would suggest we go together πŸ˜‰
xo.
Sami recently posted..Gevalia Kaffe & Giveaway!

54 Samantha March 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I remembered one other thing! I know it might be a time crunch now since you’re going on Saturday though: If you want to go with your hair all done up similar to what you think you’ll do with it on the big day, book an appointment with your hair stylist for a trial run. Many do them for free (or deeply discounted) if you’re one of their regulars. That way you get a better idea of what you want your hair to look like, and then you go and try on the dress with your hair all pretty!
Samantha recently posted..Workout Windup: Need for Speed

55 Emily March 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm

My sister and I both got married last year… My wedding was in Orlando and my sister’s was in Tampa. I got my dress at Casa di Bella in Celebration – if you’re willing to drive a little farther, I definitely recommend checking it out!! The owner, Sue, works by appt only, but she opens the shop for just you and gives you her complete and undivided attention. She was wonderful, and her selection of dresses, while smaller in quantity, are gorgeous!!!

My sister got her dress at John’s Bridal in Tampa… they were great too, and they had a huge selection!! The woman worked with my sister the entire time.

Most important – HAVE FUN!!!

56 Caitlin P. March 1, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I recently went dress shopping too (for my December wedding) which has a very similar theme (snowy/winter wonderland)!

A few thoughts from my experience:
-Go with your Mom (and a few friends) but don’t go with more than 5 people!
-Give everyone your with an idea of what you’re looking for before (I gave them pictures of my top 5)
-Be open to trying on different dress styles — I loved the idea of a fitted dress but it just made my body look oddly poportioned!
– Know your budget!!!!

I actually had very similar style tastes too. My price range was on the lower end and I found that Alita Graham’s dresses all really fit the soft, ivory, winter wonderland theme. I said YES to this dress: http://www.alitagraham.com/alita-graham-detail.cfm?pid=52&item_id=13682&rowid=15&page=2

57 Meghann March 1, 2012 at 4:43 pm

GORGEOUS dress!

58 Amanda March 1, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I was terrified to go wedding dress shopping…I don’t really know why, but I think it stemmed from the same thoughts that you are having. I’m the worst decision maker, so I figured it would take me a long time to decide – but I picked the very first dress I tried on at my second appointment. My whole crew was shocked that I picked one so fast…and I don’t regret it at all, nor will I. I wrote a post about my wedding dress shopping tips http://www.eatsloveandhappiness.com/2012/01/five-things-i-learned-from-wedding.html … if you don’t have time to read it just take away my one awesome tip – a glass of wine makes it a hell of a lot easier.
Amanda recently posted..Date and Venue: Done!

59 Heather March 1, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I’m digging some of the lace looks for you…especially that one with the v-neck and straps.

I will say I am NOT a fan of David’s Bridal. I think for what you get there (cheap, polyester blend fabric), it’s actually over-priced. I found a cute little wedding shop that had a variety of gowns (many of them in the David’s Bridal range) and found THE one. Plus, once you sign up for David’s Bridal they will sell your soul to various wedding vendors. (I did not enjoy getting calls from Mary Kay ladies for 7 months straight).

Phew…other than that. Enjoy the experience. I actually bought the 2nd dress I tried on (after trying on a bagillion more). You’ll know it’s the one when everything you try on you start comparing to it!

60 Jessica March 1, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Since I just went through this, here’s my advice:

1.) Look at the shops selection online ahead of time if you can. Print out a few of your favorites. Try them on in store.

2.) Go in store with an open mind, give the lady the print outs of the dresses you like, and have her pick a couple that are completely different than that but she thinks might work on you. (They do this for a living, so you might be pleasantly surprised)

3.) Know your budget before you go. Don’t try on dresses over your budget.

4.) When you find a dress you love, buy it. Stop looking until the wedding is over.

5.) No matter what dress you wind up with, you will be gorgeous. It’s your wedding day and the most important thing is that you’re marrying your hubster.
Jessica recently posted..Birthday Celebration & Wedding Video

61 Megan S March 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm

The number one thing that matters is the dress being flattering. Pick a dress that makes your body look great and don’t worry so
Much about what style it is or statement it makes. The reality is over the years your tastes will change and you won’t live the dress forever but you’ll always appreciate it looking good on your body. I hear people worry about looking back at a dated dress but I love dated wedding dress photos! I live to look at my moms seventies hippie dress, my aunts puffy eighties sleeves and my grandmas prim little thirties suit. I hope my daughter looks at the photos and thinks ‘oh that’s so 2010’:)
Megan S recently posted..A Month of Workouts at a Glance

62 Brittany March 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Ahhh. I love the lacey and form-fitting style too! I can’t wait to hear what dresses you find this weekend.
Brittany recently posted..Blackberry Smoothie

63 Liz March 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I had a dress all picked out that I LOVED from bridal magazine ads, I tried it on, and it looked terrible on me! I was adamantly against a strapless dress, but it turned out that that was what looked best. I ended up buying my dress at a Brides Against Breast Cancer event, which I know you’ve posted about–I got what would have been a $2000 dress for $750, and I absolutely adored it. And it was silk, not polyester, which was nice at my 1000-degree outdoor wedding in May!
Liz recently posted..Free Motion Quilting, Finished Supernova!

64 BroccoliHut March 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I am heading home this week for spring break…and I have FOUR appointments at various bridal boutiques. Hopefully after all that I’ll be able to find something!
I went shopping for dresses last month, and the only tip I can provide from that experience is to wear skin-colored undies and a strapless bra!
BroccoliHut recently posted..My Favorite Peanut Butters

65 Hangry Pants March 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Don’t wear a thong unless you want the lady from the dress store seeing your butt cheeks.

66 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife March 1, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Sweetheart neckline all the way! I loved my Priscilla of Boston taffeta ballgown. It was very simple and modern and included pockets! Of course PoB just went out of business last year. πŸ™
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Disney Princess Half Marathon Recap

67 Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre March 2, 2012 at 12:47 am

My best friend just said YES to her dress– the Sydney that you have shown!
Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre recently posted..I’m Going, Going, Back, Back, To…

68 Katie March 5, 2012 at 8:50 am

Well, I’m biased toward a form fitted, sweetheart necklined, ivory lace dress…but that’s just because I had one! πŸ˜‰

Anyway, you obviously got so much advice already, and it is all great! I definitely want to stress the fact that you shouldn’t feel pressured to wear certain undergarments. I don’t have much going on up top…so I don’t need a strapless bra/corset/etc under my dresses. However, when I was dress shopping, EVERY single person I worked with was trying to get me to wear them to try on dresses. I knew from the get-go that I wouldn’t wear a bra/corset, and I would just want small pads sewn into the gown instead. So – even though they insisted, I held my ground on it. I think that a lot of the people working at these dress shops are used to women coming in and wanting to have the corset to suck them in or the extra “boobage” up top…if you don’t want it, put your foot down and don’t try a dress on with them! Being comfortable is of ultimate importance when it comes to that day.

In the end, I did go with an incredibly form fitted gown…which I loved…but I will say that it was a liiiiiiittle difficult at times. Going to the bathroom? I had to take the entire dress off. I’m not kidding. HAHA!
Katie recently posted..Get the look: a princess skirt with stripes and floral

69 Janessa March 6, 2012 at 11:19 am

Best advice…let your mom and sister pick out at least 2-3 dresses for you to try on. My best friend is getting married and she knew exactly what dress style she wanted, but me and some friends were dying to see her in a certain look. She decided she would try them just for us. She wanted either super plain or lace so of course we each picked out something different…sweetheart neckline, gathered, princess and bling. She ended up LOVING one of the dresses we pulled. It looked so great on her body type and was super flattering. I say be open to try one lots of things. You will know when you put on your dress.

70 Aliz March 7, 2012 at 1:53 am

I loved my wedding dress… it managed to be everything I had dreamed it might be and more.
Red, silk chiffon, off the shoulders, tea length with red and white Swarovski crystals all around the neck line.
I went for custom made though, I got a totally unique dress, made just for me.

The best thing about custom made is that you can control what you get, they can incorporate a number of designs and it’s made to measure you exactly, which can include changes in shape, unlike a mass produced piece.

I do have the bonus of my mother being a fashion designer and sample seamstress though, so I had mates rates on everything from fabric to bling.