Speeding Up

by Meghann on March 1, 2012

Is it really Thursday? Man, this week is flying by!

I didn’t last more than 45 minutes into Ides of March last night. After doing the head bobbing thing for a good 10 minutes (and really having no clue what was going on), i gave up and went to bed. Derek gave me a shocked look and told me “but this movie is sooo good!” Eh. Maybe to him, but the bed seemed like a better option. I told him to fill me in on the details in the morning. :)

My run this morning was much better than Tuesday. I had 6×400 @5k pace on the training plan. I picked my favorite 4 mile route and warmed up for the first 1/2 mile before diving into my first 400. Ideally I would love to have a track for 400s, but pacing myself via my Garmin works too. I just watched my watch and went full out for .25, then scaled it back to a jog for .25 and repeated until I did all 6. My cool down ended up being the last .75 miles that brought me home.

I stayed consistent with my 400s at a 7:20 pace – exactly where I wanted to be! It felt great to run. I <3 speedwork!

Post-run I made a bowl of cereal for breakfast.

• 1/2 cup Peanut Butter Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • Plain Fage
  • Walnuts
  • Strawberries
  • Ground Flax

It was HOT outside this morning, so a nice cold bowl of cereal was exactly what I needed to cool down. It’s almost time to start breaking out Smoothies In A Bowl for breakfast again too. ;)

What’s your favorite summer breakfast staple that you miss all winter? I miss smoothies. And fresh berries. Lots of berries. :)

1 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 1, 2012 at 9:43 am

I looovvveee smoothies and berries! So delicious!

Nice job on the fast run–I think speed work is so empowering :) Way to go!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Improving Sleep

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 1, 2012 at 9:45 am

I’d say smoothies, but I’ve been going strong all winter (from under a blanket that is!) The main thing I’m missing is fresh locally grown berries. They just don’t taste the same in the winter months!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..5 Goals for March

3 RunEatRepeat March 1, 2012 at 9:47 am

I actually made overnight oats for today, which are usually a summer thing for me :)
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Random Dot Com

4 Candice March 1, 2012 at 9:49 am

I so wish I was where you are. It SNOWED here last night.. I hate that crappy white stuff!! I need sun!!
Good training run! you go girl!
Candice recently posted..Training for a Marathon

5 Hillary March 1, 2012 at 9:49 am

I would say that I’ve been missing smoothies, but I’ve actually been eating them pretty consistently this winter—it’s been surprisingly mild, and my craving never went away!
Hillary recently posted..The Thick of It

6 Samantha March 1, 2012 at 9:50 am

Smoothies all the way. Lots of fruit, handful of spinach and some nut butter :) Yummmm.

And watch Ides of March when you’re not ready to pass out. Derek’s right, it’s a good one!
Samantha recently posted..Workout Windup: Need for Speed

7 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 1, 2012 at 9:51 am

Fresh berries! I see them in the store now and they look good but I know that the taste doesn’t compare to the summer. How much longer till summer???
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..In Like a Lion!

8 Kathy March 1, 2012 at 9:52 am

watermelon…watermelon…watermelon!!
Kathy recently posted..One..one..yes, only one (week that is)

9 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 1, 2012 at 9:54 am

I miss fresh berries too
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..The Paris Wife – and Wine :)

10 Lindsey March 1, 2012 at 10:00 am

I would say smoothies but this winter I braved them and just made sure to have hot coffee on the side :)
Lindsey recently posted..Pumpkin Carrot Bran Muffins

11 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 1, 2012 at 10:04 am

I love fresh fruit in the summer! Overnight oats is my favorite breakfast in the summer, I just don’t crave them in the winter hardly ever!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..A Lighter Loaf

12 Aimee @ Happy Medium March 1, 2012 at 10:11 am

You just reminded me how much I love shredded wheat. (Is that weird?) Will have to try it with yogurt sometime. Good idea!

13 Steph @ StephSnacks March 1, 2012 at 10:14 am

I’m with you – definitely miss berries!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Banana Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies

14 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete March 1, 2012 at 10:18 am

You’re going to give Nate a run for his money at the Harveys 5k! :)
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..Disney Princess Half Marathon Advice

15 Kasandra March 1, 2012 at 10:21 am

Fruit salad & smoothies – last thing I want to eat in the winter in the AM (BRR). :) I won’t give up iced coffee though.

16 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

Haha I love that you’re already talking summer, although I’m sure it feels a lot more like summer in FL than in Chicago!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..20 Days Until Spring!

17 Reenie March 1, 2012 at 10:28 am

Hi ~ is Scooby back home? How’s he doing?

18 Meghann March 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Scooby is fine! Turns out he just had a tummy ache, as soon as he was back at his home, he was able to eat again and felt a lot better. His hips are still an issue, but they’ve been an issue for a few months now and he has weekly visits with the vet to keep an eye on them.

19 Cait's Plate March 1, 2012 at 10:32 am

I’m dying for a nice warm day so that I can bust out a SMOOTHIE!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..March(ing) On

20 Alaina March 1, 2012 at 10:41 am

I have to get going on some speedwork for my 5k’s coming up! Great job on your run!
Alaina recently posted..Weeee-Wednesday

21 Jordan@almondjay March 1, 2012 at 10:46 am

I agree – I miss berries! Back when I am home on the east coast with my family my mom and I go to the local farm and pick tons of fresh blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. Let’s just say that most of the berries end up in my stomach and not in the buckets ;)

22 Faith @ For the Health of It March 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

Fresh berries are the biggest thing I miss about summer produce. Peaches too!

23 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 1, 2012 at 11:41 am

Yogurt messes! It actually feels like summer here today and it EXCITES me!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..A New Start

24 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 1, 2012 at 11:46 am

I’m dying for the return of smoothies, too! Blend and go is the way I like to roll ;)
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Oh You Fancy, Huh?

25 Ali March 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Definitely the smoothie bowls!

26 Coco March 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I eat the same stuff no matter what time of year it is.. lol..
Coco recently posted..But… Spring is almost here- and the end of the bag…

27 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I’m with you- I miss smoothies!!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..[Almost] Wordless Wednesday

28 Andi March 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm

It is strangely hot already in Florida – record-breakingly hot. Next week looks better.

That cereal concoction looks amazing. Must devour.
Andi recently posted..I only run when I’m being chased. By zombies.

29 Sara March 1, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I always do my speedwork on the roads, the local track team is always using the track in the mornings. Do you set up interval workouts on your garmin? It’s a lifesaver, I program it before I go and it just buzzes and tells me when to run and when to rest. Love it!

30 Meghann March 1, 2012 at 1:16 pm

It’s something I’ve done in the past, but not very useful if you forget to do it ahead of time. I literally thought about it a half mile into my run this morning. Oops.

31 Emily March 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I love your blog! You seem like so much fun. :)

For some reason, the “B” in your post titles isn’t showing up. It might be just me. I don’t understand why!