more ยป" />

Speeding Up

by Meghann on March 1, 2012

Is it really Thursday? Man, this week is flying by!

I didn’t last more than 45 minutes into Ides of March last night. After doing the head bobbing thing for a good 10 minutes (and really having no clue what was going on), i gave up and went to bed. Derek gave me a shocked look and told me “but this movie is sooo good!” Eh. Maybe to him, but the bed seemed like a better option. I told him to fill me in on the details in the morning. :)

My run this morning was much better than Tuesday. I had 6×400 @5k pace on the training plan. I picked my favorite 4 mile route and warmed up for the first 1/2 mile before diving into my first 400. Ideally I would love to have a track for 400s, but pacing myself via my Garmin works too. I just watched my watch and went full out for .25, then scaled it back to a jog for .25 and repeated until I did all 6. My cool down ended up being the last .75 miles that brought me home.

I stayed consistent with my 400s at a 7:20 pace – exactly where I wanted to be! It felt great to run. I <3 speedwork!

Post-run I made a bowl of cereal for breakfast.

• 1/2 cup Peanut Butter Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • Plain Fage
  • Walnuts
  • Strawberries
  • Ground Flax

It was HOT outside this morning, so a nice cold bowl of cereal was exactly what I needed to cool down. It’s almost time to start breaking out Smoothies In A Bowl for breakfast again too. ;)

What’s your favorite summer breakfast staple that you miss all winter? I miss smoothies. And fresh berries. Lots of berries. :)

1 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 1, 2012 at 9:43 am

I looovvveee smoothies and berries! So delicious!

Nice job on the fast run–I think speed work is so empowering :) Way to go!

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 1, 2012 at 9:45 am

I’d say smoothies, but I’ve been going strong all winter (from under a blanket that is!) The main thing I’m missing is fresh locally grown berries. They just don’t taste the same in the winter months!

3 RunEatRepeat March 1, 2012 at 9:47 am

I actually made overnight oats for today, which are usually a summer thing for me :)

4 Candice March 1, 2012 at 9:49 am

I so wish I was where you are. It SNOWED here last night.. I hate that crappy white stuff!! I need sun!!
Good training run! you go girl!

5 Hillary March 1, 2012 at 9:49 am

I would say that I’ve been missing smoothies, but I’ve actually been eating them pretty consistently this winter—it’s been surprisingly mild, and my craving never went away!

6 Samantha March 1, 2012 at 9:50 am

Smoothies all the way. Lots of fruit, handful of spinach and some nut butter :) Yummmm.

And watch Ides of March when you’re not ready to pass out. Derek’s right, it’s a good one!

7 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 1, 2012 at 9:51 am

Fresh berries! I see them in the store now and they look good but I know that the taste doesn’t compare to the summer. How much longer till summer???

8 Kathy March 1, 2012 at 9:52 am

watermelon…watermelon…watermelon!!

9 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 1, 2012 at 9:54 am

I miss fresh berries too

10 Lindsey March 1, 2012 at 10:00 am

I would say smoothies but this winter I braved them and just made sure to have hot coffee on the side :)

11 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 1, 2012 at 10:04 am

I love fresh fruit in the summer! Overnight oats is my favorite breakfast in the summer, I just don’t crave them in the winter hardly ever!

12 Aimee @ Happy Medium March 1, 2012 at 10:11 am

You just reminded me how much I love shredded wheat. (Is that weird?) Will have to try it with yogurt sometime. Good idea!

13 Steph @ StephSnacks March 1, 2012 at 10:14 am

I’m with you – definitely miss berries!

14 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete March 1, 2012 at 10:18 am

You’re going to give Nate a run for his money at the Harveys 5k! :)

15 Kasandra March 1, 2012 at 10:21 am

Fruit salad & smoothies – last thing I want to eat in the winter in the AM (BRR). :) I won’t give up iced coffee though.

16 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

Haha I love that you’re already talking summer, although I’m sure it feels a lot more like summer in FL than in Chicago!

17 Reenie March 1, 2012 at 10:28 am

Hi ~ is Scooby back home? How’s he doing?

18 Meghann March 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Scooby is fine! Turns out he just had a tummy ache, as soon as he was back at his home, he was able to eat again and felt a lot better. His hips are still an issue, but they’ve been an issue for a few months now and he has weekly visits with the vet to keep an eye on them.

19 Cait's Plate March 1, 2012 at 10:32 am

I’m dying for a nice warm day so that I can bust out a SMOOTHIE!!

20 Alaina March 1, 2012 at 10:41 am

I have to get going on some speedwork for my 5k’s coming up! Great job on your run!

21 Jordan@almondjay March 1, 2012 at 10:46 am

I agree – I miss berries! Back when I am home on the east coast with my family my mom and I go to the local farm and pick tons of fresh blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. Let’s just say that most of the berries end up in my stomach and not in the buckets ;)

22 Faith @ For the Health of It March 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

Fresh berries are the biggest thing I miss about summer produce. Peaches too!

23 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 1, 2012 at 11:41 am

Yogurt messes! It actually feels like summer here today and it EXCITES me!

24 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 1, 2012 at 11:46 am

I’m dying for the return of smoothies, too! Blend and go is the way I like to roll ;)

25 Ali March 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Definitely the smoothie bowls!

26 Coco March 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I eat the same stuff no matter what time of year it is.. lol..

27 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I’m with you- I miss smoothies!!

28 Andi March 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm

It is strangely hot already in Florida – record-breakingly hot. Next week looks better.

That cereal concoction looks amazing. Must devour.

29 Sara March 1, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I always do my speedwork on the roads, the local track team is always using the track in the mornings. Do you set up interval workouts on your garmin? It’s a lifesaver, I program it before I go and it just buzzes and tells me when to run and when to rest. Love it!

30 Meghann March 1, 2012 at 1:16 pm

It’s something I’ve done in the past, but not very useful if you forget to do it ahead of time. I literally thought about it a half mile into my run this morning. Oops.

31 Emily March 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I love your blog! You seem like so much fun. :)

For some reason, the “B” in your post titles isn’t showing up. It might be just me. I don’t understand why!