more ยป" />

Kickboxing

by Meghann on February 29, 2012

Yes - kickboxing! :)

I sometimes forget my gym offers a wide variety of group exercise classes. My mind is so wrapped around running and strength training that everything else kind of fades in the background. I need to make a pact with myself to try something different once a week just to mix it up. I think I can handle that. Or maybe every other week. That works too. ;)

The kickboxing class was fun. I’m probably one of the least coordinated people on the planet, but all I had to do was take a quick look around the class at anytime and realize I am not alone. Uncoordinated people unite! I think that’s my favorite part about group exercise classes – you’re never alone when it comes to making a fool of yourself and, frankly, no one cares what you look like because they’re too busy getting their own exercise groove on.

Before the class I had my new favorite afternoon snack – mixed nuts with sommersaults.

Dinner tonight was conceived during my kickboxing class. Apparently kicking and punching makes me crave baked chicken tenders and roasted veggies.

The chicken tenders were dipped in an egg and milk wash then breaded in a whole wheat flour, cornmeal, and panko crumb mix. The tenders baked at 375 for 10 minutes, were flipped, and baked for another 5.

The brussels sprouts and potatoes roasted for 25 minutes at 375 with some salt, pepper, and 5 spice blend.

I think baked chicken tenders and roasted veggies rank up there as one of my favorite meals of all time. Right up there with pizza and hamburgers. The 10 year old me would be proud. ;)

I had a tiny piece of strawberry pie for dessert with a scoop of the Publix Tiramasu Ice Cream I picked up on Sunday and wanted to try.

The ice cream was good, but had more of a vanilla with chocolate fudge flavor than a distinct tiramasu flavor. It was definitely missing something.

Derek just put in Ides of March. Any bets on whether I’ll make it through the whole movie awake? The outlook is doubtful. ;)

Good Night!

1 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes February 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I just discovered my gym has a kickboxing class and I totally want to go!

2 Jessica February 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I want some strawberry pie!!!

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 29, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I’ve never tried kickboxing though I am interested in it. It’s probably my uncoordinated self that’s afraid of trying…

4 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 29, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I took a kickboxing class in college and it was awesome, I should see if my gym offers it!

5 Sana February 29, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Love group fitness! Just a tip, stay in the back if you are not sure of the moves, you don’t want to throw other people off. And you can move up as you learn the routine better :)

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 29, 2012 at 10:00 pm

oh gosh, i love chicken tenders. They were one of my favorite foods growing up, I haven’t had them in ages! I like them best with honey mustard sauce

7 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 29, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I lllooovvee kickboxing!! I always feel so fierce when I do it! lol

8 Christine @ BookishlyB February 29, 2012 at 11:04 pm

It’s a good movie, but more dialogue driven, so yeah… sweet dreams!

9 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 1, 2012 at 12:03 am

I haven’t been to a kickboxing class but I LOVE kickboxing dvds!!!! It’s so empowering!

10 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 1, 2012 at 6:23 am

Chicken tenders were my go-to food as a kid. And I still love them. Chicken tenders + honey mustard = heaven, in my book! ;) Yours look delicious!

11 Hillary March 1, 2012 at 6:59 am

I just bought a Groupon for 10 kickboxing classes! I’m waiting until after my half marathon to cash it in, but I am super excited to switch it up a little!

12 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 1, 2012 at 7:43 am

I love chicken tenders. They are so easy to make. I don’t know why I don’t make them! I really should. They taste the best with some honey mustard on the side. Yum :)

13 AmyC March 1, 2012 at 7:58 am

I haven’t taken a group workout class in a couple of years…kinda miss it.

That is a great movie! Hope you made it through =)

14 Sara J March 1, 2012 at 8:53 am

My husband rented Ides of March the other week, yeah, I totally fell asleep about 20min into it!

15 Cait @ Beyond Bananas March 1, 2012 at 9:26 am

I love when I can get to a classes at my gym. That usually only happens during the summer though! During the school year, I have to get to the gym before work.. or else it isn’t possible because the kids drain every bit of energy I have!

I do still get to a boot camp class on Sundays though!

16 Emily March 1, 2012 at 9:29 am

My gym also offers tons of different classes, but like you, I am so focused on training for the Pig and trying to keep up with strength training that I never go.

17 Cait's Plate March 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

I have roasted brussel sprouts for lunch today and I’m SO excited about it!

18 Kelly March 1, 2012 at 11:00 am

I love kickboxing classes. I’ve taken a couple different kinds and they are VERY different. the first classes I took were cardio kickboxing. This is more like TurboFire or TurboJam with choreographed moves to music. Then I took an actual kickboxing class where you punch and kick bags. Very different workout but loved them both. I even bought TurboFire so I could do them at home on my own.

19 Lindsay March 1, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I think you should see if Somersault will do a giveaway on your blog. :) I wasn’t sure what they were and have seen you mention them a few times, so I just checked out the website. They look so yummy, especially the cocoa ones! Unfortunately they aren’t available near me, and I can’t justify the shipping charge to order them online.