more ยป" />

Carb Loading. Disney Style.

by Meghann on February 26, 2012

What’s your favorite park at Walt Disney World?

Mine is Magic Kingdom. Hands down. No questions. ;)

IMG_7513.jpg

The other parks are all great – and each have their own magical qualities and rides – but there’s just something about the original park that just feels extra special. I think it’s the castle. ;) That’s why if someone hasn’t been to Disney in awhile, it’s the first place that jumps to my mind.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of tagging along with Callie, her two adorable sisters, and Theodora (who joined us later in the day) at the most magical place on earth.

Callie’s little sister requested we visit the princesses first. It has definitely been a princess-ful weekend, but it was good meeting Sleeping Beauty for the first time.

And I had a chance to discuss my costume dilemmas with Belle.

IMG_7506.jpg IMG_7507.jpg IMG_7508.jpg

She didn’t offer much help. I guess she doesn’t have a chance to run much in her gown. Go figure.

After schmoozing with the princesses (we’re all BFFs now ;) ), we headed to Buzz Lightyear, where Callie and her older sister kicked our butts.

Buzz Lightyear is a laser game where you shoot targets for points. Apparently Ashlyn and I are AWFUL at it because the other two scored about 300,000 more points than each of us. Ouch.

At least we ended up with a cool photo!

Take that! :-p

I’m not usually a creature of habit, but I have found that the Columbia Harbour House near Liberty Square is my favorite lunch spot in Magic Kingdom. I’m pretty sure I eat there every single time I come.

We used our meal vouchers and I walked away with way too much food. Ignore the cous cous below – they accidentally gave it to me and I just had a few bites to see how it was and – FYI – it was pretty good.

I ordered my favorite – the Lighthouse Sandwich on multigrain bread with hummus and broccoli slaw. Yum.

I subbed out the side and requested the broccoli instead of chips.

I chose the apple crisp for the dessert that was included with the voucher. The apple crisp was petty good. I ate about half and really enjoyed the flaky crusty and cinnamon.

There’s Theodora! She heard how much fun we were having and wanted to join in. ;)

Now there are some rides everyone must do when they come to Magic Kingdom. Thunder Mountain (closed for repairs), Splash Mountain (not when your evening plans require dry clothes- darn), and Space Mountain.

Space mountain is a given. ;)

IMG_7537.JPG IMG_7539.JPG

Riding Space Mountain with your hands wrapped around your head is what all the cool kids are doing. Obviously.

Oh! And please ride (more like sit through) Philharmagic in Fantasyland. Especially if you love Disney songs. Awesome, Awesome 3D show. :)

We left Magic Kingdom just before 5:00 and I opened the Dry Roasted Edamame that came in our post-race snack box from the 5k. They were ok – edible, but nothing special.

Our group had dinner reservations at Via Napoli in Epcot for our pre-race session of carb-loading.

Via Napoli is my FAVORITE restaurant in all of Walt Disney World. They’ve won me over with their amazing wood-fired thin crust pizzas in the past and the atmosphere is just top notch.

I needed caffeine by this point. One cappuccino please. :)

FitFluential buddies :)

We started with bread. I had one of the tiny slivers.

And I was FREEZING, so I selected the Minestrone Soup as a starter. It warmed me right up.

And the main event!

An individual pizza with eggplant, ham, artichoke, and mushrooms. I ate 3/4s of it. A-MA-ZING.

Birthdays were celebrate – HAPPY BIRTHDAY RENEE! (woo hoo for February birthdays!)

And dessert was shared.

IMG_7588.jpg

Hello beautiful. Where have you been all day? ;)

And bellies were officially stuffed.

I got back to my room just before 10:00pm and had just enough time to set my alarm for 3:00am (!!) before crashing hard.

I’ll be back later with the full Princess Half Marathon Recap!

1 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete February 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

My little sister is the cutest. That is all. :)

2 Heather February 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

great post! Looks like yall had a blast at MK. OMG the food last night was truly amazing. Loved it all, but was too stuffed to finish!

3 Casey @ OatsAndNanners February 26, 2012 at 11:42 am

Ah! Disney looks like so much fun! I was skeptical about the disney half because I heard it’s not a “pretty” run, but you’re winning me over. Carb up!

4 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 26, 2012 at 11:43 am

These Disney posts are making me really want to go back to Disney!!! I haven’t been there in a few years :( I love the Buzz Lightyear ride!! My dad and brother used always be all competitive during it trying to beat each other’s scores. And I completely agree about Magic Kingdom–it’s the best!!

5 Cait's Plate February 26, 2012 at 11:43 am

Oh my gosh. That dessert. So incredible.

6 Caroline February 26, 2012 at 11:43 am

I haven’t been to Disney since i was in 1st grade, so it’s been a long time! I remember really liking it, and would love to go back now as an adult.

7 Erica February 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I love Disney! Magic Kingdom is definitely my favorite park too!

8 Caroline February 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Disney is so much fun no matter how old you are :) And I love those run disney shirts, so cute!

9 Joss February 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm

oohhh looks like so much fun! Love all the pics with the princesses :D
And that dessert looks incredible

10 Emily @ The Swallow Flies February 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Oh my gosh! This sounds like such an amazing weekend. I wanted to do the Princess Half this year, but it didn’t work out. Next year’s the year!

11 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 26, 2012 at 3:31 pm

That pizza looks amazing!!

12 Kathy February 26, 2012 at 4:54 pm

It looks kind of cool …weather wise in FL and around Disney…I can’t believe my family will be there in less than 9 days…I take it we should pack more than shorts. ;-)

That pizza looks yummy.

And I hope the ride won’t be under repairs when we get there.

Can’t wait to see your final Belle and hear about the race. Have Fun!

13 Meghann February 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm

It cooled down, but it wasn’t terrible. I would just say come prepared because the weather is so unpredictable here!

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 26, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Holy fun!! Hope you did great this morning! Can’t wait to hear :)

15 Lauren February 26, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Wait – February bdays?? Is your birthday in feb too or is that an inside blogger joke?

16 Meghann February 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm

My birthday was on February 8th :)

17 Pam February 26, 2012 at 5:56 pm

That edamame comes in a wasabi flavor that is really good and spicy. I have purchased it at Marshall’s and Big Lots.

18 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm

That pizza looks so good!!!

Also, when we went to disney and did space mountain, my dad ended up a bit behind us in the line and went in a later car. Someone had dropped something on the track so his car had to go along really slow and with the lights on! He said it totally ruined the ride for him from then on because he saw how minuscule the drops were!

19 Meghann February 26, 2012 at 10:04 pm

When we were getting off of the ride someone behind us said the ride is scarier when the lights are on because then you see how close everything really is when you’re going through it. However, I think if you were going really slow, that would totally take away from it too.

20 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 26, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Looks like you all had so much fun. I’m excited to share that I am one of the newest FitFluential Ambassadors! Yay! Glad I could be a part of such a talented group of people. :)

21 Meghann February 26, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Congrats! And welcome to the club! :)

22 Elisabeth February 26, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I LOVE Space Mountain! I haven’t been to Disney in several years and I’m definitely missing it as I read your fun posts. ;)

23 Kathryn February 26, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Fun Fact: I went to high school with Aurora from your picture! (I know, Aurora totally went to high school, crazy, huh?) So glad you guys had fun.

24 Meghann February 26, 2012 at 10:02 pm

haha I’m surprised you were able to recognize her! I think they all look the same when done up!

25 Andi February 26, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Ahhh! I am not a fan of Disney (at all) but these races looked so fun! It’s been awesome watching the Twitter feed. Maybe next year when my munchkin is old enough to handle a family 5k and I can run the half. . .

Can’t wait for your recap :)

26 Lily February 26, 2012 at 9:23 pm

So jealous…sounds like you had an amazing time! Can’t wait to hear about the race :)

27 Krissy @ Shiawase Life February 28, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Epcot is my favorite…close with MK, but yes, EPCOT <3

28 Jessica February 28, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I thought I saw you at Via Napoli on Saturday night!