RunDisney’s Tangled Royal Family 5k

by Meghann on February 25, 2012

I’m going to say this once – and I’m going to say it loud – DISNEY RACES ARE FOR FUN! :)

So much fun, actually. :)

Yes, they’re crowded. Yes, there are a lot of walkers. And, Yes, they can be hard to weave through. BUT as long as you expect that and just have FUN with it – the races are a blast.

For instance, I could not have had more fun this morning with fellow FitFluential Ambassadors Heather, Callie, and Theodora at the Tangled Royal Family 5k this morning. We made a pact at the beginning to just take our time, take lots of photos, and have a blast. And you know what? That’s exactly what we did – WE HAD A BLAST! :)

The RunDisney Princess Half Marathon Weekend is made up of three running themed events. There is the Princess Half Marathon on Sunday, the kids races on Saturday, and the family friendly Royal 5k on Saturday morning. RunDisney wanted to create events that the whole family could participate in through the weekend, which is why the 5k and kid races came about. There are no age requirements for the 5k (you have to be at least 14 to run the half marathon), strollers are welcomed, and it’s not timed – it’s just a fun race the whole family can enjoy.

We were at the Tangled themed start line this morning about an hour before the official start. RunDisney encourages runners to get there EARLY since they have to close a portion of the parking lot off for the race and cars will not be allowed in past a certain time.

The good news is – Disney knows how to entertain a crowd. Our group stayed by the DJ booth the whole time and enjoyed a little pre-run dance party.

IMG_9502.JPG IMG_9504.JPG

IMG_9505.JPG IMG_9509.JPG

How cute is Callie’s tutu?!? Her sister made it for her and I think she won for largest tutu on the course! <3!

It was fun to see a familiar face on stage! My twitter friend (and fellow FitFluential ambassador), Carissa, hosts a majority of the Disney World and Disneyland races. If you’ve run a Disney race in the last couple of years, chances are you’ve seen her on stage at the start and finish line. The girl is a rockstar with the world’s coolest job. :)

At 10 minutes until 7:00, we entered the corral and lined ourselves up somewhere in the middle of the pact.

I was rocking my new princess crown and TeamSparkle skirt for the race.

IMG_7430.jpg

I met one the founders of Team Sparkle, Kelly, this weekend and she was so cute that I instantly handed my credit card over for a pink and blue skirt. I LOVED wearing it at the race – it was so light that I forgot I had it on!

With a wave of a wand (and some fireworks), we were off!

We knew we all wanted to stay together, so we kept it light and just went with the flow of the crowd. The race course takes you for a small loop around the Epcot parking lot, before taking you backstage and into the World Showcase.

We entered the showcase around Mexico and made our way around the 11 countries.

We found Mulan in China.

Pocahontas in the USA.

IMG_7454.jpg

Jasmine and Aladdin in Morocco.

And Belle and the Beast in France

In our last mile, we found our way out of the showcase and on our way to the finish line near the Epcot ball.

Not without seeing a few friends along the way. I’m telling you – the world is small. The blogging and race world? Even smaller. Along the course I found my friend Cara who was randomly in town for business and running the race for fun. She was even wearing a shirt from a relay race we did together two summers ago!

IMG_7470.jpg IMG_7471.jpg

Our final character shot!

The 3.1 miles really flew by. Even though we didn’t start approaching the finish line until 45 minutes into the race, it felt like no time at all. We were having too much!

Since it was untimed (and I never started my garmin) I have no idea where we finished at. Maybe 48 minutes?

After crossing, we were handed Tangled themed rubber metals.

And Theodora and I found a frog to kiss. I was hoping he would turn into a prince for Theodora, but no such luck. Sorry Theodora!

Instead of the usual bagels and stuff, Disney handed out snack boxes to all finishers.

The contents were kind of odd for post-race food, but I know these snack will come in handy for when we explore the parks later.

The finishers!

We grabbed our snacks, hopped in the vans, and headed back to the hotel for a quick breakfast.

I wanted to be adventurous and order the ‘Bobotie Platter’ of traditional African breakfast fixins’ but I almost immediately regretted it.

It was ok, but not what I was craving. Oh, well.

Off to explore Magic Kingdom!

Have a great Saturday!

1 Caroline February 25, 2012 at 11:14 am

AGH! That race just sounds like a lot of fun. I know it’s easy to get burned out from training and racing, but throwing a few races like this into your schedule would definitely help to break it up!
Caroline recently posted..Thankful Thursday

2 Megan @ Megan's Munchies February 25, 2012 at 11:18 am

What fun!!! Love the running gear! Enjoy the rest of your fun weekend!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..Baked Red Velvet Donuts

3 Cait's Plate February 25, 2012 at 11:20 am

This looks like so much fun!!!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Rainbow Pancakes

4 Carolyn February 25, 2012 at 11:20 am

This weekend looks so fun.
And you aren’t kidding. Holy Tutu Callie, Batman!
Carolyn recently posted..Tofu Scramble

5 Caroline February 25, 2012 at 11:21 am

That looks like SO much fun! Costumes and fireworks and everything – so jealous!
Caroline recently posted..Authentic Tex-Mex Chile con Queso

6 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 25, 2012 at 11:31 am

That race sounds amazing!! It looks like you had a blast!

Your breakfast sure does look interesting though… I definitely give you credit for trying something new ;)
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Cauliflower & Brussels Sprout Mac ‘n Cheeze

7 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 25, 2012 at 11:35 am

nice job on your run!!! looks like such a fun day! :)

8 Tami February 25, 2012 at 11:47 am

are they worth the price just to run for “fun”

9 Meghann February 27, 2012 at 9:50 am

I think they are – especially if you’re with a group of friends or a family. Last year I paid $120 to run the Princess Half Marathon ‘for fun’ with my siblings and LOVED every minute of it! I’ve also done the Disney Marathon for time and loved that too. However, I was a little disappointed I didn’t get to take any photos with the characters, which is what inspired me to sign up for the Princess half. :)

10 Lily February 25, 2012 at 11:50 am

That looks like loads of fun! & your outfit is adorable :)
Lily recently posted..ThinkThin Giveaway Winners!

11 Teacher Girl February 25, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I’m glad you had fun, but I find it offensive that you list the fact that there are walkers as a negative in this post. I am a walker and my mom is a walker. She has been medically told not to run because of multiple knee surgeries, yet she has walked three half marathons and a full. It is hard for me to run due to a car accident I had as a teenager and weak knees and ankles from genetics, but I just completed my first half a month ago. Not everyone can run, and it is unfair to list walkers as a detriment to a race. Just because we can’t do the race as fast as a runner, doesn’t make our achievements any less valid or any easier. Try walking 13.1 miles. It isn’t easy. I love your blog and I’ve met you in person so I know you are not mean spirited individual, but I just don’t think you realized the implications of your comments about walkers. Remember that you do not know another’s plight because you have never walked or run in their shoes.
Teacher Girl recently posted..InstaFriday {8}

12 Tracy February 25, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I agree with you. I felt a little offended when I read that statement as well. Not everyone who participates in a 5K is an experienced runner or a runner at all.

13 Meghann February 26, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I wanted to respond to this earlier, but my internet connection wasn’t the best this weekend and it’s hard to type out long replies on my phone. The truth is, I did not mean to direct any negativity to walkers in this post. I’ve never walked a half marathon or a full marathon, but I know that it is is just as hard (if not harder!) on your body to walk that distance and more power to anyone who can spend that much time on their feet. Seriously – inspirational! But, no race is perfect and – as much as Disney tries! – a lot of ‘runners’ will accidentally be placed in back corrals with walkers and walkers will accidentally find their way in corrals with runners. Because this seems to be more common in Disney races (due to being so walker heavy) I know plenty of runners who have run a Disney race (trying to go all out) and ended up mixed up with the walkers. It’s not a bad thing, just something that happens. It’s not the walkers fault – they’re just walking! – or the runner’s for trying to run the race they want to run – it’s Disney’s job to figure out away so that mix up doesn’t happen and i know they’re working on it.

14 Teacher Girl February 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I appreciate the response! And I get what you mean. I hope that they do figure out a way to make the race friendlier for all, walkers and runners, to ensure that everyone can do the race they plan to do. It would be frustrating to be placed in a corral full of walkers if you are a runner. I wonder if Disney might consider having a specific box that you check if you are a walker? I only say this because I did the Princess Half a couple of years ago (I didn’t finish because I was behind time and they pulled me off the course unwillingly, I could have kept going, I was fine) and they never asked if I was a walker, just my expected finish time.
Teacher Girl recently posted..I’m Selling My Shoes!

15 Victoria Runs February 25, 2012 at 12:32 pm

It looks like y’all had a blast :)
Victoria Runs recently posted..The new website REVEAL!

16 Sarah February 25, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I’m so living vicariously through your posts! My 2012 objective is to be able to run this race next year. If I can’t train for 13 miles in one year, then I don’t think it can be done! Thanks for all the photos and news – I’m just so excited to do this next year!
Sarah recently posted..Random stuff

17 Tracy February 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I am confused. Did you run the 5K or Half Marathon in this post? The post-race snack box you got references the Princess Half-Marathon and 13.1 miles.

18 Christina @ Heels and Meals February 25, 2012 at 1:02 pm

oh! It looks like yall are having so much fun!! Love all the character pics! I would love to be there!
Christina @ Heels and Meals recently posted..Just One Day?

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Ahhhh so fun! ONE day I will go to FL and do all those fun Disney races! In the meantime, just lap it all up for me, mmmmkay ?! ;)
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On: Tuck Jumps

20 Army Amy* February 25, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I love races that are just for fun! I’ve PRed at my last two races, which is great, but it can be difficult and exhausting. I think, I need a “just for fun” race to mix things up.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Little Brother

21 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm

This race looks so flipping fun!!! Have fun at Magic Kingdom :D
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Top 5 Fictional Boyfriends

22 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm

That looked like so much fun! The snack box is a little odd but Crunchmaster Crackers are seriously addicting!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Plateaus and Reader Requests

23 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 25, 2012 at 1:48 pm

That looks like tonnes of fun!

24 Lee February 25, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I think that’s awesome post-race food. Hummus after a race? Yes, please. I’ll take that over an under ripe banana and an orange (which is what I was presented with at my 10K this morning) any day!
Lee recently posted..Things

25 carissa February 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm

You guys looked great!!!! see you tomorrow!
carissa recently posted..Get Great Glutes

26 Julia February 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm

A huge well done to you all! You look like you are having so much fun :)
Julia recently posted..Twenty-nine days to go…

27 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 25, 2012 at 3:29 pm

This race looks like so much fun! That’s exactly how I would want to run that race too, all for fun!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..‘Clean Out the Fridge’ Pizza

28 Charlie February 25, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I heard your interview today at the race and started freaking out – I KNOW HER BLOG. Hopefully I’ll spot you at the Half tommorow! Good luck!

29 Heather February 25, 2012 at 4:45 pm

yay! Had so much fun running with you friend! It was SUCH a blast. We did it the best way to do a disney race. Stealing your photos by the way, ha!
Heather recently posted..A Royal Welcome

30 Hilary February 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Umm…I am so jealous. I want to do a Disney race SO BADLY. You are so lucky you live so close!
Hilary recently posted..Take back the table!

31 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 25, 2012 at 5:29 pm

looks like you had a blast!
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Eggtastic

32 Gemma February 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Love all your photos- this race seems like so much fun!

I do agree, though. I love to live vicariously through all the blogger-runners out there, but I am tired of the slight-to-not-so-subtle negativity regarding walkers. I have terrible IT band issues, as well as a recurring foot injury. I am sadly unable to run, but I do walk every day. I really, really would like to participate in a race, but I would sure hate to be such a bother to all the runners out there. I don’t believe Meghann meant to be nasty, but it seems to be a widely shared belief that if you can’t run, you shouldn’t be able to participate in races. Even fun races. It is sad, really.

33 Amanda February 25, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Disney World is the best when you are an adult! Why should kids have all the fun?!
Amanda recently posted..Half and Half

34 Elisabeth February 26, 2012 at 12:09 am

Love that you call Spaceship Earth the ‘Epcot ball’ – ha! ;)

35 allende February 26, 2012 at 4:05 am

The photo of you and fellow Fitfluential ambassadors posing with Mulan is in bad taste. Is that supposed to be how Chinese people stand? Not cool.

36 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete February 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Oooh…I hate that it came across that way. That wasn’t the intention at all. That’s just how Mulan greeted us and we just decided to pose the same way for the photo. Please know that no malice was intended – at all! I’m so sorry if it came across as being in bad taste…my apologies!
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..What’s Next?

37 Pure2raw twins February 26, 2012 at 1:18 pm

love all the pics! looks like you ladies had a great race! thanks again for stopping by our booth, it was great chatting with you. good luck with all your wedding plans so excited for you!!

38 Meghann February 26, 2012 at 10:07 pm

It was great seeing you girls again!!! I kept seeing RawThread shirts all weekend and thinking on you! Your sister’s shirts are well loved in the running community :)

39 Typhoon June February 27, 2012 at 7:25 am

That’s what running is all about anymore…dressing up, wearing skirts and posting slow times. Don’t call it a “race” then.

40 Meghann February 27, 2012 at 9:57 am

Not all ‘races’ have to be for time – some can be for fun! And if dressing up in costume and wearing skirts encourages more women to get out there and MOVE – then I say more power to them! I think the great thing with running is the ‘race’ is only with ourselves and we can make that race anything we want to be.

41 Katie Martin March 29, 2012 at 2:54 pm

This race looks like so much fun! I don’t even like running because my asthma makes it really difficult for me, but I would totally take part in this. I mean, getting to dress up and run around Disney World and and get pictures with a bunch of the characters while doing something good for you sounds awesome! I had no idea Disney did these races. It is such a good thing to find ways to get kids and their families excited about exercise. Is it hard to be able to register for the races? Also, is it pretty expensive?