more ยป" />

The Final Cut

by Meghann on February 21, 2012

Good morning!

First of all, I owe you guys a New Rules of Lifting for Women Stage 6 recap. I promise to have that up later today. Pinky promise.

Until then, I can give you a sneak peek into stage 7, which I started today.

I’m not sure why, but for the longest time I thought there were 8 stages to NROLFW. I was wrong – there are only 7. This morning marked my first workout in the final stage. Hard to believe it, considering I’ve been following this program for so long now – much longer than the estimated 6 months it should take. Oh, well.

Stage 7 is much different than the first 6. Instead of only 2 workouts that you go back and forth between for 4 or 8 workouts, there are a total of 6 workouts that you go through once, then repeat. There are also more sets with longer reps in each workout. Because of this the first workout of Stage 7 felt like it went on forever.

This morning’s workout was tiring and left both my arms and legs feeling weak – a good sign that this stage is going to be a good one. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the workouts will bring.

After my workout, I came home and made a balanced breakfast of eggs, a biscuit, and a sliced peach.

Two eggs with the yolks cooked all the way through – just the way I like them.

One of the many biscuits I was sent home with from my parents’ with pumpkin butter.

A perfectly ripened peach that sliced like butter it was so good.

Scooby says good morning too.

The poor guy is homesick. Yesterday at 4:30pm he started getting really antsy. That’s about the time my Dad usually gets home and Scooby’s normal routine consists of going outside and waiting for him in the front yard. He started whining so I gave him a treat and took him for a walk every 20 minutes or so because that seemed to be the only way to stop him from whining. Finally, when Derek came home after 6:30, Scooby got the BIGGEST grin on his face and was just so happy that he was home – like Derek’s grand entrance was replacing my Dad’s usual grand entrance. After that he was happy as a clam just following Derek around.

I’m hoping he’ll be a little better today.

Maddie is just happy to be home and enjoy showing Scooby the ropes.

She’s so excited that she won’t even pose for the camera. All I got was butt this morning.

Typical Maddie.

Do you have any tips for making Scooby feel at home? We’re trying to take him on extra walks and give him some extra lovin’ while he’s here, but I know he misses my mom and dad.

1 Cait's Plate February 21, 2012 at 10:13 am

MAN that breakfast looks good. I’ve been craving some eggs + biscuits lately and yours looks just awesome.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pretzel Buns

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 21, 2012 at 10:17 am

I think dogs just get separation anxiety. I’ve puppy sat for my brother’s dog a couple times and she just isn’t the same when they’re gone! She’s much more difficult, but then perfectly happy when they return!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..One Track Mind

3 christine @ BookishlyB February 21, 2012 at 10:22 am

I think there’s a fine line between making him feel welcome and letting him know that giving a whine means a reward. I know it’s hard and I hate being “mean” (ie tough) towards any dog, but they’re smart creatures and learn to work the system. I bet today will be better!
christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday- Sentimental, Yet Practical

4 Meg at runridelove.com February 21, 2012 at 10:40 am

I have to agree with Christine. You can’t just give him a treat every time he whines, as then it is a reward for bad behavior. We recently “adopted” one of my parents family dogs, and it was a hard adjustment for him. But, we made sure he had ‘his’ spots (a crate and bed that were just his) and then we laid down the law when he was being obnoxious. He is a clingy pup anyway, and new situations make him want to be VERY close to safe people (aka he wants to sit on our heads all the time). We had to be firm, and tell him to settle, not reward the bad behavior.

Also, I would say take Scooby for a run. A tired dog is always a happy dog.
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..Race Report: Week 2 Saturday

5 Meghann February 21, 2012 at 10:46 am

I would love to take Scooby for a run, but he has bad hips. I’m under strict instructions not to play rough with him, let him jump, or walk him too far. ๐Ÿ™

6 Meg at runridelove.com February 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Sad! Poor guy! Sounds like a nice walk would be great for him.
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..Race Report: Week 2 Saturday

7 Courtney February 21, 2012 at 10:41 am

Whenever I bring my dog in for overnight boarding, I always throw in a worn article of my clothing with my scent on it. She snuggles up with it at night and it usually calms the separation anxiety. Might want to consider bringing something of your parents’ next time. Until then, lots of play, attention, and treats!

8 Silvia @ skinny jeans food February 21, 2012 at 10:48 am

Maybe mon and dad can give Scooby a skype hello?
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Roasted plum tomato soup

9 jodi February 21, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I actually did this for my pup when I had to leave him for a a week with my sister and her family… he LOVED it, and she said he was so much more calm… I also left a worn sweatshirt with him and he slept on it every night … Seriously, have your parents do this for poor Scooby!!

10 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 21, 2012 at 10:49 am

That peach looks perfect!! Surprising considering they’re out of season, but I guess that makes it even better ๐Ÿ˜€
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pumpkin Pie Bars

11 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 21, 2012 at 11:03 am

I am sure he is just nervous being in a new environment! If he likes to walk, then I just say walk him ๐Ÿ™‚ Itis great for him and you so I say, why not!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Bringing Color to the Dinner Table

12 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 21, 2012 at 11:03 am

Did your parents leave a blanket or anything for him to snuggle up with? Or a shirt of theirs that has their scent? Stuff like that usually helps because it’s comforting. Hopefully he settles in a bit- I know that my parents’ dog is a little uneasy whenever we watch him (which might also be because my two dogs are nuts!)
Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning recently posted..[all aboard the] Tofu Xpress!

13 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 21, 2012 at 11:42 am

I love eggs!! YummY

14 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy February 21, 2012 at 11:55 am

So jealous of your Florida weather and the ability to get fresh juicy peaches!
Casey @ Insatiably Healthy recently posted..Aloe Gloe Review and GIVEAWAY

15 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Those biscuits look so good!!

Do you have any of Scooby’s toys or blankets that might smell like home? That may help comfort him a bit!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Baked Plum Cheesecake Oatmeal

16 ct cupcake February 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm

oh my parents dog always gets separation anxiety when they leave her with me for a bit. I have them talk to her over the phone, hearing their voice seems to help, as does the comforts of home, her bed, fave toys. The suggestion of a blanket or article of clothing from home would be worth trying too!

of course whenever I go visit them, I get separation anxiety from my parents and the dog when I leave, and I haven’t lived home in 10 years!
ct cupcake recently posted..Please don’t go!

17 Joss February 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm

awww Scooby <3 Give him lots of cuddles ๐Ÿ˜€

18 Emily February 21, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Yummy breakfast!

I can’t believe you are on the final stage… Its been a long time coming.
Emily recently posted..My Lenten Challenge

19 Juli D. February 21, 2012 at 1:56 pm

The main thing you don’t want to do is “He started whining so I gave him a treat.” In the dog world, you just said “Here’s a reward for whining. Do it again and get more treats!” Ignore the whining, make sure he gets his daily exercise requirement (maybe a longer walk, he looks like a boxer mix and they usually require a lot of exercise) and if he is crate trained I would put him in there for some of the day (if dogs are properly crate trained, the crate should ease the separation anxiety – they should be calm and relaxed in the crate). If he starts whining, ignore him and when he stops and relaxes (lays down and doesn’t pay attention to you) that is when you want to give him attention/rewards.
Juli D. recently posted..The Kepler Track

20 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Scooby will probably be fine within a day or two once he gets the new routine. I’ve had a couple of rescue dogs and the first few days are usually their most restless. Give him lots of attention and walks and he’ll be fine!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Two-fer Tuesday

21 Elisabeth February 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm

That’s so sweet he got that excited when Derek came home ๐Ÿ™‚

22 maria @ Chasing the Now February 21, 2012 at 5:43 pm

You’ve got me drooling with that peach. It’s pretty hard to find out of season produce in Japan and when I do it is super expensive (and I won’t buy it). I can’t wait until peaches are in season again.
maria @ Chasing the Now recently posted..Napper 4 Life