more ยป" />

Ben and Ashley’s Wedding: The Reception

by Meghann on February 20, 2012

After spending the day getting ready and watching my brother and his beautiful new wife say ‘I do,’ we all piled into our cars and drove about 20 minutes south to the reception site in Cocoa Beach. The reception hotel was right on the beach and the great location allowed for some pretty fun beach shots. I posted the sneak peek earlier, but I really can’t wait to see the rest!

The photographer was amazing (and quick!). He got everything he needed in lightening speed and it wasn’t long before the bridal party was making their grand entrance at the reception.

(Derek and I came out doing the FSU chop – classic ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Introducing Mr. and Mrs. Anderson!!

The bride and groom had their first dance as husband and wife to ‘Chasing Cars’ by Snow Patrol.

Tears flowed as the bride and her father danced to ‘Butterfly Kisses.’ They were both unprepared and the bride ended up reaching for her dad’s pocket handkerchief to wipe her tears. It was a fun- heartwarming moment that had the crowd giggling through their own tears.

My brother and my mom danced to ‘Simple Man.’ My mom looked so proud and radiant dancing with her youngest son. I know she’s proud of the wonderful man he has become.

My camera was passed around through the ceremony and early parts of the reception (many thanks to all who took photos with it!), but somehow it missed getting photos of both Amanda’s maid of honor and Eric’s best man speeches. They both did a great job and were so well prepared.

I sat by Eric at the head table and right before the speeches started his mom came to the table and reminded him to keep the speech slow and natural. I asked Eric if he was nervous and he said ‘YES’ then showed me the printed copy of his speech, which was double spaced, in large font, and with little slashes to remind him to pause. I let out a little laugh when I saw it because he really had no need to be nervous – his speech was perfect and he’s a natural in front of a large crowd. They both killed it. :)

Ben and Ashley were really excited about the food since their tasting went so well. We all started with salads then were served the main dish of chicken masala with veggies and mashed potatoes after the speeches were finished. Ashley and Ben were right – the food was great!- and I’m happy to report they were both able finish their plates before making their rounds of the tables – something that was very important to them.

Dinner was delicious, but I was really excited about the cupcakes!

IMG_8722.JPG IMG_8723.JPG

Instead of digging into a layer of cake, the two of them split a cupcake. Such a fun idea. :)

I had one of the red velvet ones – AMAZING! I plan to do a ‘details post’ later, since Ashley did such a great job planning this wedding and I want to share some of her hard work that went into this. I’ll give more scoop into the cupcakes then. :)

The DJ played the same game with the bride and groom that my friends had at their wedding back in January. It’s really a fun set up – the bride and groom trade one of their shoes with each other and as the DJ asks a series of questions, they each hold up the shoe that belongs to the person who they believe is the correct answer. Such as ‘Who spends more money’ or ‘Who is the better driver.’ The questions are usually pretty tame, but the different responses are always a crowd pleaser. :)

After the game, came the bouquet toss. Obviously the girls were excited. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ready, Ashley?!

1, 2, 3…..

IMG_8789.JPG IMG_8790.JPG

My cousin Jessica was the lucky catcher. :)

Then the garter toss.

This is the moment where Ashley is telling Ben she has two on and to grab the lowest one. :)

IMG_8799.JPG IMG_8800.JPG

IMG_8805.JPG IMG_8806.JPG

Check out Ben’s friend Drew in the front. He was obviously on a mission.

And the winner is….

Drew! Told ya he was on a mission!

IMG_8825.JPG IMG_8826.JPG

With all the traditions out of the way – it was now time to party!

And party we did. We didn’t leave the dance floor until the DJ cut us off! This is just a sampling of the SIX HUNDRED photos I had on my camera the next morning! SO. MUCH. FUN.

IMG_8852.JPG IMG_8858.JPG

IMG_8877.JPG IMG_8878.JPG

IMG_8921.JPG IMG_8922.JPG

IMG_8953.JPG IMG_8954.JPG IMG_8956.JPG IMG_8957.JPG

At the end of the night, the DJ played the last song (‘I Don’t Want To Miss a Thing’ by Aerosmith) and we all serenaded the happy couple before swarming them for one final group hug.

It was the perfect way to end the night.

I’m not sure if it was because this was my baby brother’s wedding – and I love him and his new wife so, so, so much – but this past weekend was the best wedding I’ve ever attended. I had so much fun and never wanted the party to end!

Thank you Ben and Ashley for asking me to be apart of something so beautiful. You two are amazing and I can’t wait to see what the future brings both of you. I love you guys!

Ben – Remember to tell Ashley you love her everyday and to never let her go.

Ashley – Welcome to the family! You already felt like a sister to me, but now it’s official! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Now when are the babies coming?!?!

I kid! I kid! ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Maureen February 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I am a sucker for weddings and this one looked like it was so fun! Glad everyone had a great wedding weekend! :)
Maureen recently posted..A Saturday to Myself

2 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie February 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm

What a fun beautiful wedding! I’m so glad you had such a great time!
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..11 Things for Sunday

3 Hillary February 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Looks like a great time! Congrats to both of them!
Hillary recently posted..Eggplant Lasagna

4 Jessica February 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm

My face is so priceless in those pics.. I sat down and Ben said you’re in trouble now! And boy was I… .I’ve never laughed so hard…A great time was had by all!!! oh and by the way my legs are still killing me from dancing the night away….

5 Erica February 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm

It looks like everyone had a great time! Congrats to your brother & your new sister-in-law!
Erica recently posted..Strawberry-Banana Baked Oatmeal

6 Joss February 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Lots of great moments captured! Looks like a blast and everyone looks beautiful :)

7 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm

This looks like it was such a great time. WOW. How fun!!

I love dancing, so that sounds like the perfect reception to me ๐Ÿ˜‰
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Motivational Monday

8 Rachelle February 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Loved reading about the wedding over the weekend! The bridesmaid hair styles were so pretty and your dress was really cute!!! Now I want to go to a wedding :( hurry up friends!!!
Rachelle recently posted..Valentine’s Day as a Single

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 20, 2012 at 12:49 pm

What a gorgeous wedding and beautiful couple! Thanks for sharing! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Lykee Li

10 Cait's Plate February 20, 2012 at 1:18 pm

The reception is BY FAR the best part of a wedding! Looks like so much fun!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pretzel Buns

11 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Dancing at weddings is always so fun! People young and old just go nuts!

Congrats to the newylweds!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Yoga Makes Me Roar!

12 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife February 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Ashley looked absolutely radiant! Congrats to both! Of course I’m partial to the cupcakes and cobalt blue bridesmaid dresses. We had both at ours last year.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..10 Miles! Check!

13 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Such a beautiful reception! Thank you so much for sharing!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Restaurant Week {Le Colonial}

14 Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest February 20, 2012 at 2:02 pm

OH wow…so pretty…and looks like a blast!!!! They look very happy!! Best wishes!!
Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest recently posted..That special day!

15 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I danced with my dad to ‘Butterfly Kisses’ too! Such an emotional song and quite the tear jerker! :-) Looks like such a fun reception, and having a crowd who wants to dance all night is so important!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Vow to Start Monday on a Healthy Note

16 erica February 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm

love it!!! i can’t believe they’re married already! i feel like it was just yesterday i was reading about the proposal!!! how time flies! looks like everyone had a great time!
erica recently posted..surprise, surprise

17 Heather February 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm

looks like yall had SO MUCH FUN. I love weddings. Congrats to the happy couple!
Heather recently posted..Mardi Gras Weekend

18 Mv February 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Awww, congrats to your brother and his wife!
I remember my sister’s wedding was one of the funnest days I’ve ever had, there’s something about welcoming a new person to the family, SO fun. Now just wait till one of you guys bring a baby to the fam ๐Ÿ˜‰

19 Jessica February 20, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I love the shoe game. So cute!

20 Sarah @Blonde Bostonian February 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Congrats to your brother and sister-in-law! Looks like the wedding was a complete blast!
Sarah @Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Plan B

21 Meg at February 20, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Looks like a really wonderful wedding! Congrats to Ben and Ashley!
Meg at recently posted..Race Report: Week 2 Saturday

22 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 20, 2012 at 4:40 pm

600 photos!!?!?! Haha that is a lot! And I definitely think weddings are so much more fun when it’s your family and your friends, since you know everyone there! Glad you had such a great time, it sure looks like a wonderful wedding! And a great party!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Little Brother in the Big City

23 Jen February 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm

What lovely photos! It’s funny, I looked at the first photo before reading anything and thought, “That reminds me of when we were in Cocoa Beach.” Then I actually read it and it IS Cocoa Beach! Love that area. (My bestie lives in Cocoa so we’ve been down there a few times.) Congrats to your bro & sis-in-law!

24 Caroline February 20, 2012 at 6:22 pm

It looks like a fantastic reception! I love the receptions where you dance until the DJ cuts you off. very fun. Better then the super boring and dull receptions for sure. I love how happy your entire family looks!
Caroline recently posted..How To Take An Ice Bath

25 Sloane @ My Life in Florida February 20, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Such a pretty wedding!! I love the bridesmaids dresses! Where did you guys get them?
Sloane @ My Life in Florida recently posted..Bok Choy

26 Meghann February 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm

They’re Alfred Angelo

27 Reenie February 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Beautiful pics.

28 RunEatRepeat February 20, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Love all the wedding recaps! You and Kelly look amazing :)
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Meatless Monday Giveawayโ€“Quorn Vegan Burger

29 Marie February 21, 2012 at 12:06 am

Haha, that’s so true about the kid question; families always ask that after the wedding. This seriously looked like such a fun wedding; I think in huge part because you guys are so close. Loved the recap; all you ladies looked gorgeous!!!

30 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 21, 2012 at 8:05 am

Such a beautiful wedding! Everyone looked great! I love the vibrant color of the bridesmaid dress. So pretty :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Happy Fat Tuesday!!โ€ฆ

31 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life February 21, 2012 at 10:58 am

that blue dress is soooo flattering on you!! I LOVE IT!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Fire Roasted Tomato & Chickpea Risotto