The Rehearsal

by Meghann on February 19, 2012

It’s official!

My baby brother is now a husband and Ashley is his beautiful wife.

What a crazy-wonderful weekend filled with love, family, and happiness. I am so happy for my brother and his new wife and wish them nothing but the best in their bright future together. :)

I’m so sorry I kinda disappeared this weekend, but family and wedding stuff sorta took over. I’m back now and am ready to tell all the tales of ‘wedding weekend’ – starting with Friday night’s rehearsal.

This wedding was a lot of firsts for me – the first time I’ve been a bridesmaid, the first time I’ve attended a rehearsal, the first time I’ve been in wedding photos, etc. – so I really went into the rehearsal and wedding day not really knowing what to expect.

We all met at the church at 5:00pm on Friday night and got straight to business.

Since the priest was unable to attend the pre-planned Friday night rehearsal, the bride and groom had a low-key rehearsal with him on Wednesday night. They had some idea on what they were doing and their job was to instruct the rest of us on what the heck we were doing.

I thought the rehearsal would be easy – we all walk down the aisle, watch Ben and Ashley practice saying I do, and rush to dinner to get the party started. Wrong. There are a lot of perfectly planned elements in a wedding that I’ve never even considered as guest before.

Such as the timing (and order) of seating the grandparents of the bride and groom and the seating of the parents of the groom and mother of the bride

Or the order and release of the groomsmen

And even the right pace for walking down the aisle (apparently I’m a fast walker!)

IMG_8252.JPG IMG_8253.JPG IMG_8254.JPG IMG_8255.JPG

My brother and Ashley opted for a traditional Catholic ceremony, which included a full mass and communion.

We had to rehearse the timing of the chairs for the bride and groom.

As well as how the bridesmaids and groomsmen entered and exited the pews for the seated and kneeling parts of the ceremony.

Then came the easy part – our departures!

I had a pretty hot escort. 😉

Then it was party time.

IMG_8283.jpg IMG_8285.jpg

My parents hosted the bridal party, their dates, and immediate family at Fish Lips in Port Canaveral for the rehearsal dinner.

IMG_8302.JPG IMG_8303.JPG IMG_8306.JPG

My big mistake of the evening was having two New Castles. I’m such a light weight.

Dinner was served buffet style and included seasonal veggies, roasted potatoes, pork, fish, chicken, caprese salad, and a vegetable platter. I know my parents had fun selecting the menu and I think they did a great job – everything was delicious. :)

I snuck a piece of tiramasu for dessert.

After dinner Ashley and Ben gave a lovely speech thanking all of their family and loved ones for making this day possible.

IMG_8331.JPG IMG_8332.JPG IMG_8333.JPG

Then they handed out a few gifts

To each set of parents

The groomsmen

And the bridesmaids

Ben and Ashley did great with the gifts!

I know my brother worked hard building each of the alcohol-filled planters he gave to the groomsmen. Each one was ‘sprouting’ with mini-bottles of liquor, 2 cigars, and a flask.

Ashley has GREAT taste and presented each of the bridesmaids with beautiful hand painted wine glasses that she ordered from Etsy.

One side of each glass displays our names and the wedding date

And the other has hand painted portraits of our dresses.

You really can’t tell in the photo of the glasses above, but the details of the paintings are amazing – right down to the bow on my dress and the one missing from Kelly’s (my bridesmaid dress had a bow and Kelly’s did not). Amazing. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Ashley! :)

The rehearsal dinner ended quietly around 9:00pm. Afterwards we all headed home to prep for our early wake-up calls. Less than 24-hrs to go until Ben and Ashley were husband and wife!

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm

My brother’s wedding this summer was also my first time as a bridesmaid! It was so much fun! It looks like you had a good time at the rehearsal, I’m sure the wedding was even better!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Things I’m Loving…

2 Cait @ Beyond Bananas February 19, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Aww! Looks amazing. Those glasses are so cute! Looking for ideas for gifts for my bridesmaids. I may have to check those out on Etsy!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Remembering Why I Love to Run

3 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Cute glasses!! It sounded like such a wonderful evening all together. How fun! :)
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..“Outside Your Comfort Zone” Workout

4 Meghan February 19, 2012 at 5:56 pm

FYI be careful washing your glasses, not sure what paint the seller made, but my SIL gave us hand painted wine glasses with our monogram on them for our wedding, and even though I hand washed them it all came off :-(. I haven’t had the heart to tell her.

Looks like Ben & Ashley had a gorgeous weekend, I know the weather was great!!!
Meghan recently posted..who would believe it but 40 weeks

5 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 19, 2012 at 5:58 pm

What cute gifts! Glad the rehearsal was a success – and now you know exactly what to expect for yourself!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the grocery haul

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I love those wine glasses. What a neat idea!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Blinkies, Beeps, and Peelies: Learning to Coupon.

7 Caroline February 19, 2012 at 6:22 pm

They did a great job on the gifts! It sounds like the rehearsal was a fun get together. It’s interesting once you’re in a wedding to see all of the little details and timing that seem effortless when you’re just attending a wedding…
Caroline recently posted..Half Marathon Training Week 7 Recap

8 Sarah February 19, 2012 at 6:50 pm

aww how fun!! I love the bridesmaids glasses – too cute
Sarah recently posted..Monkeying Around Town

9 Jaima February 19, 2012 at 6:51 pm

What fun! I love weddings. And those are the exact same bridesmaids dresses that my gals wore at our wedding last May! Even in the same color!
Jaima recently posted..Fun With Won Tons

10 Corinne February 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I got a wine glass for my brother’s wedding too! We’re doing the same colors as you’re dresses, but a bit lighter. Just wondering, where are they from?
Corinne recently posted..Healthy Chicken Fried Rice

11 Meghann February 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm

They’re Alfred Angelos :)

12 Joss February 19, 2012 at 7:52 pm

How exciting 😀 Those glasses are super cute and I also love the gift to your parents!

13 Erica February 19, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Love this! Everything looks beautiful. I can’t wait to read more about how the big day went!
Erica recently posted..Strawberry-Banana Baked Oatmeal

14 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 19, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Those wine glass are adorable!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Gum

15 Cait's Plate February 19, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Oh my gosh I LOVE that first photo! Congrats to your brother – so exciting!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Soft Pretzel Nuggets

16 Lynda@ Hit The Road Jane February 19, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Love their wedding colors :) It looks like a gorgeous day of celebration already!
Lynda@ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Donna Breast Cancer Half-Marathon Recap

17 Emily February 19, 2012 at 10:02 pm

The “manly” planters are a fantastic idea; I may steal the idea for my bro-in-law in case he needs some gift help!

Looks like you all had a blast!
Emily recently posted..Pics from the Weekend

18 erica February 20, 2012 at 2:52 am

loove the gifts and that first photo! that is an amazing shot! so gorgeous yet totally fun and silly! i wish i had more of these types at my wedding!
erica recently posted..surprise, surprise

19 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 20, 2012 at 6:07 am

Love the first picture! You can actually see the love written on everyone’s faces throughout all your pictures.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Yoga Makes Me Roar!

20 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 20, 2012 at 8:24 am

Those wine glasses are SO cute! What a wonderful rehearsal dinner!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Restaurant Week {Le Colonial}

21 Maureen February 20, 2012 at 11:41 am

What great gifts they handed out! :) I remember the first time I was in a bridal party. It was AFTER I got married though, so I was a bit more prepared.
Maureen recently posted..A Saturday to Myself

22 Emily February 20, 2012 at 11:44 am

Yeah, I think Catholic ceremonies can be tricky, even though I had one! things can be so different than some less formal religions, etc. Catholics have a LOT of rules, I think! :-)

23 Meghann February 20, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’ve attended several Catholic weddings, but this was my first time being in one. I never realized how much really goes into one until this weekend. Following all the rules was worth it though – they had a beautiful ceremony with a beautiful blessing of their marriage. :)

24 Nagore February 20, 2012 at 5:31 pm

It seems you all had fun :) But the reason to comment is this one: I LOVE your dress!!!!

25 Stephanie Miller September 29, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Hi – I am the one who painted your glassware for your wedding and was trying to get in contact with you to see if I can use your blog on my website? You can e-mail me if you would like. Thanks!

26 Meghann September 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm